PDA

View Full Version : Bbq!

Big T
Mar 9th 2008, 03:50 AM
As there is truly no "BBQ Season" in my opinion (to me it is a year long event) it is about time for the "more" BBQ season, season.

So, what do you make or like?

I've just grilled, tonight, flank steaks "stuffed" with a mellow goat cheese and herbs with sautee'd mushrooms on the side. Of course they're made with a red wine. HOWEVER! Next time you sautee mushrooms, try a good white wine, yes I'm serious.

My plans for the near future...... Pork loin stuffed with sausage. Also Halibut wrapped in prousceutto (salty ham stuff) and then wrapped in potato slices (like scalloped potatos).

roshkoch
Mar 9th 2008, 04:17 AM
barbeque brontosaurus ribs ...

seriously? EVERYTHING! You kill it, I'll grill it. (I try killing stuff during those magical weeks of guns and snow, but they were hiding better than I was seeking this year.)

Big T
Mar 9th 2008, 05:10 AM
barbeque brontosaurus ribs ...

I can only dream

MikeAD
Mar 10th 2008, 08:45 AM
BBQing is the best part of summer.

If it can be incorporated into Fall/Winter I am all for it.

teddyv
Mar 10th 2008, 08:49 PM
We pretty much BBQ around the year. Usually nothing fancy, just slap some chicken, beef, pork, salmon on the grill. Usually spice with Montreal steak spice (for beef). Occasionally will make some teriyaki kebabs with pepper, onion and tomatoes.

Ayala
Mar 10th 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh man, we've got like 50 premium beef ribs we're supposed to grill at work. With my luck, missing work today, they probably had em. :sad:

Clavicula_Nox
Mar 11th 2008, 03:06 AM
I inherited a grill after helping a soldier move back home and intend to do some grilling with it. I'm a grilling n00b, but we'll see how it goes in the future.

Big T
Mar 11th 2008, 04:31 AM
I inherited a grill after helping a soldier move back home and intend to do some grilling with it. I'm a grilling n00b, but we'll see how it goes in the future.All you can do then, is get better! There are great grilling forums out there, do a little search and you will find them

HisLeast
Mar 12th 2008, 01:13 AM
I love doing salmon... though my method doesn't leverage the grill so much as it just requires heat. Never the less, it is absolutely fool proof.

- Put a salmon steak on a square of tin foil (I prefer steak cuts to butterfly cuts).
- Sprinkle liberally with dill... don't be shy.
- Slice up a lemon (about half a lemon per steak) and put the slices on and to the side of the steak.
- Fold the tinfoil around the salmon and throw that sucker on some heat.

It should take 20 minutes to half an hour... but its REALLY hard to overdo. When you check it, peel back the foil, stick a fork in and twist gently. If it "flakes" its done. It should be a pinkish color instead of orange.

MikeAD
Mar 12th 2008, 01:31 AM
I love doing salmon... though my method doesn't leverage the grill so much as it just requires heat. Never the less, it is absolutely fool proof.

- Put a salmon steak on a square of tin foil (I prefer steak cuts to butterfly cuts).
- Slice up a lemon (about half a lemon per steak) and put the slices on and to the side of the steak.

It should take 20 minutes to half an hour... but its REALLY hard to overdo. When you check it, peel back the foil, stick a fork in and twist gently. If it "flakes" its done. It should be a pinkish color instead of orange.
Salmon and Tuna on the grill are like a little taste of heaven :bounce:

Big T
Mar 12th 2008, 01:55 AM

That sounds good. Here's my version...

salmon filet on foil (use that new non-stick kind). Then pour a little white wine and squeeze 1/2 of a lemon on it. Then sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little kosher or sea salt. Then put a couple pads of butter on the salmon and wrap it up and cook.

HisLeast
Mar 13th 2008, 06:36 PM
Any of you guys done BBQ pizza?

HisLeast
Mar 13th 2008, 06:38 PM
Talked to my boy James aka "King'uh'Q" here at work. He sends you all his blessings (http://www.thesmokering.com).

(hotlinke to BBQ forums and recipes)

Slug1
Mar 13th 2008, 07:12 PM
I grill everything and anything and slow smoking is the best :pp

Follow_Me_Infantry
Mar 13th 2008, 07:19 PM
Oh, man, BBQ? I am in the "kill it, I'll eat it" category - and meat demands fire, not heat! And that's 17 seconds on one side of the steak, 17 on the other - if it ain't still bleeding and cold in the middle, it's overcooked!

BigT, I always stand in awe at your barbecue threads, so I'll not even seek to compare, but I will offer you one of my personal BBQ favorites thus far unmentioned, Rosemary Quail/Rabbit/Dove. You want succulent, bro, this is the food for you.

Split the rabbit (always Cottons, don't try this with Jacks), breast the Quail, or cavity the Dove.

Melt REAL butter in the micro or on the fire. Then add garlic clove (crushed and diced), Allspice, Old Bay Seasoning, a touch of Oregano, and a touch of Sea Salt. Then squeeze in one full lime. Mix it up really well.

Baste that meat, then sprinkle with FRESH Rosemary. Wrap airtight in tinfoil. Cook.

Wash any of that down with a nice, fruity White Wine like a Chablis (helps the gamy taste), serve with Spanish rice and salsa, a fresh spinach salad with avocado, and a light fruit salad for desert, and you will indeed make best friends of your taste buds, my friend. Wild game is always better, of course, and if you don't drink, wash it down with a nice spiced tea.

Delectable.

A Seeker
Mar 14th 2008, 10:48 PM
Think of the swordfish!

Will NOBODY THINK OF THE SWORDFISH!!!!!!!!

Jollyrogers
May 16th 2008, 03:29 PM
They are having a BBQ festival this weekend near my home

http://www.tristatebbq.com/

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

crawfish
May 16th 2008, 05:44 PM
Head Country BBQ sauce (http://www.headcountry.com/).

Trust me.

HisLeast
May 16th 2008, 08:08 PM
Just created a new grilling recipe since my wife had to make changes to her diet.

Give some chicken a liberal coating of light olive oil and a couple tablespoons or so of apple cider vinegar, some rosemary (teaspoon or so), and some chopped up garlic (clove or two). Great stuff!

Tennis Guy
Jun 23rd 2008, 12:53 AM
Pretty sure BBQ should be listed as a food group.

forteagle
Jun 24th 2008, 07:56 PM
did someone say bbq?

any reason is a good reason to bbq!!

HisLeast
Jun 30th 2008, 01:48 PM
I want to get a chimney starter. As neatly as I stack my coals, my Weber's gas starter just doesn't light 'em all nicely. I end up having the temp rocket up to the peak of the scale then dwindle down rather quickly as well with a good amount of left over coals.

Big T
Jul 6th 2008, 05:55 AM
A chimney starter is great. So are the electric starters. Also try using clump charcoal as opposed to brickets. Also give the charcoal time to ash over.

Joe King
Jul 7th 2008, 04:14 AM
Beef Ribs with Hawaiian Salt. Simple but effective. I BBQ'd so many last week that we had leftovers all week and they were good every single day!

HisLeast
Jul 7th 2008, 02:27 PM
Beef Ribs with Hawaiian Salt. Simple but effective. I BBQ'd so many last week that we had leftovers all week and they were good every single day!

Hawaiian salt? What's that?

kistan
Jul 7th 2008, 03:16 PM
BBq Goat...either wrap in foil or just grill on the flame/coals....You will never be the same again.............

Personal fav.........Leg O' Lamb....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Joe King
Jul 7th 2008, 03:22 PM
Hawaiian salt? What's that?

Salt from Hawaii:D Seriously!

http://salthawaii.com/images/ssred-tn.jpg

HisLeast
Jul 7th 2008, 03:24 PM
BBq Goat...either wrap in foil or just grill on the flame/coals....You will never be the same again.............

No herbs or seasonings at all? :(

kistan
Jul 7th 2008, 03:29 PM
No herbs or seasonings at all? :(

Oops my bad...........salt (either seasoned or regular) At least thats the way we do it...no herbs or additional seasoning required.........

HisLeast
Jul 7th 2008, 06:35 PM
Oops my bad...........salt (either seasoned or regular) At least thats the way we do it...no herbs or additional seasoning required.........

Is goat meat bought and sold in the same kinds of cuts as beef? If my butcher carries it, what should I ask for? And what would go well as a side (I'm assuming the meat is kind of gamey?)

kistan
Jul 8th 2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry for the lag in replying

To be honest, we usually get the whole goat as opposed to pieces. But if you can find a butcher who carries it, I would ask for either leg, shoulder (both the meatiest) or the ribs (softest). The only butchers who I have found who sell goat in pieces are "halal" catering to arabic foods.

I am not really good on what to eat with because I eat it as is...

HisLeast
Jul 8th 2008, 02:26 PM
Sorry for the lag in replying

To be honest, we usually get the whole goat as opposed to pieces. But if you can find a butcher who carries it, I would ask for either leg, shoulder (both the meatiest) or the ribs (softest). The only butchers who I have found who sell goat in pieces are "halal" catering to arabic foods.

I am not really good on what to eat with because I eat it as is...

You aren't Greek by any chance are ya?

kistan
Jul 8th 2008, 02:42 PM
Nope, African.........somewhere undisclosed...................... :)

Toolman
Jul 8th 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm all about the slow-cooking smoker. Haven't even hardly used my grill this spring/summer!

I did a 12 pound beef brisket and a 10 pound pork shoulder butt this weekend. 17 hours on the brisket and 12 on the butt. Both were delicious and have plenty of meat for the week (or so).

I used some basic rubs on both meats, refrigerated overnight before smoking. Basted/mopped the brisket just a bit with a combo of virgin olive oil and pepsi in a spray bottle just to keep it a bit more moist. My smoker is electric with a water pan so meat doesn't dry out very much at all.

I've gotten tons of compliments on a jalapeno recipe I do in my smoker. When I take 'em to a party they are gone in 10 minutes. I'll post the recipe here for any of you guys who might want to try it:

Toolman's mouthwatering jalapenos!

15 good sized jalapenos - Fat, long and tapered
1 lbs. of Owens maple sausage
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
1 package of bacon
15 toothpicks

Brown the sausage in a skillet.

While sausage is browning cut the tips of the jalapenos, split/cut the pepper down one side and use a small spoon to remove all seeds and stuff from the inside of the pepper.

To make more mild peppers after getting them all cleaned out you can then wash them with some cold water. If you want them a bit more spicy then do not wash them.

Mix the browned sausage in a bowl with the cream cheese. Mix it up real good with a spoon. You can get creative here and add all kinds of stuff (spices, onions, whatever), its really up to you or just stick with just the cream cheese and sausage.

Once the mixture is good and mixed just start stuffing the peppers. I push the stuff as deep as I can get it and pack it in. After stuffed then I wrap with a piece of bacon and push a toothpick thru the pepper to hold it all together.

Place them in the smoker at 225 degrees for about 3 hours (give or take). When the bacon looks done then the pepper is ready.

** Notes ** - I always buy a few extra peppers in case I mess up on cutting 1 or 2.
If you are sensitive to jalapeno juice wear some gloves.
Don't rub eyes, nose, etc. until after you have finished cleaning the peppers and thoroughly washed your hands.

Toolman
Jul 8th 2008, 04:52 PM
Nope, African.........somewhere undisclosed...................... :)

True story.

A lady who works at a local church here told the story of 2 Kenyans, who attend their congregation, who for Christmas bought a goat and wanted to slaughter and BBQ it at the church (its a Kenyan tradition for Christmas).

The church, of course, said no they couldn't slaughter the goat at the church.

So they decided to take it to their apartment to slaughter it. They put it in the bathtub and proceeded to do just that.

Well with all the commotion and noise the neighbors called the police. When the police arrived one of the Kenyans, covered in blood and still holding a knife, answered the door when the police arrived.

He didn't think anything of it... the police certainly did and immediately made him go to the carpet!

It took a while but they finally worked it all out.

I've wanted to try goat ever since I heard the story :lol:

Ayala
Jul 9th 2008, 02:53 AM
Very good stuff. It's a little more difficult to find goat around here, which is unfortunate.

Buck shot
Jul 9th 2008, 01:25 PM
Very good stuff. It's a little more difficult to find goat around here, which is unfortunate.

Our Nubian Billy came from somewhere over there in California. If he keeps trashing the fences to get to the does, I am going to try out one of Toolmans recipes on him. :lol:

Toolman
Jul 9th 2008, 02:06 PM
If he keeps trashing the fences to get to the does,

I remember trashing a few fences to get to the does myself back in the day :lol:

Buck shot
Jul 9th 2008, 07:27 PM
I remember trashing a few fences to get to the does myself back in the day :lol:

:eek:

:rofl::lol:

HisLeast
Jul 9th 2008, 07:48 PM
I've got to figure out my Weber's indirect heat method. I know the basic premise is to put the coals around a pan with soaked woodchips in the center, but what do I do about the vents? There's a vent on the bottom and a vent on the top of the spheroid. I assume closing both vents causes the smoke to build up, but doesn't it also steal all the oxygen needed to keep the coals going?

:hmm:

Feeling distinctly less manly for having asked that.

Toolman
Jul 9th 2008, 08:38 PM
I've got to figure out my Weber's indirect heat method. I know the basic premise is to put the coals around a pan with soaked woodchips in the center, but what do I do about the vents? There's a vent on the bottom and a vent on the top of the spheroid. I assume closing both vents causes the smoke to build up, but doesn't it also steal all the oxygen needed to keep the coals going?

Feeling distinctly less manly for having asked that.

HL,

The one "go to" site that I love has this to say about the weber smokey mountain:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/bullet_smoker_setup.html

If you are talking about weber's grill (I think you are) then perhaps this will help:
http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

I used my propane grill, with indirect heat, as a smoker for a while but the investment in a true smoker (electric also) was worth every penny!

Ayala
Jul 9th 2008, 09:45 PM
Our Nubian Billy came from somewhere over there in California. If he keeps trashing the fences to get to the does, I am going to try out one of Toolmans recipes on him. :lol:

You gotta head out to the more rural areas to find much of anything. One of these days, I'll go and buy myself one. :D

Big T
Jul 11th 2008, 01:01 AM

Feeling distinctly less manly for having asked that.But you asked, that is not unmanly at all. You are asking about BBQ, there is nothing unmanly about wanting to learn more about grilling

HisLeast
Jul 11th 2008, 03:05 AM
Ok... I just dove into the deep end and sent out e-vites for a family & friends BBQ. I'm looking at 20 or more people.

I have no smoker, just a Weber charcoal grill. Any suggestions?

Toolman
Jul 11th 2008, 03:59 PM
Ok... I just dove into the deep end and sent out e-vites for a family & friends BBQ. I'm looking at 20 or more people.

I have no smoker, just a Weber charcoal grill. Any suggestions?

HL,

If I were faced with a party of that size I would do 1 of 3 things.

1) Grill - Use your weber to do traditional grilling (burgers, dogs, hot links, chicken, etc.).

2) Buy a good smoker - For an investment of $150 - $300 you can get a great electric smoker that will last you for many, many years. For that size of a party I would do pulled pork or brisket and my peppers. They will love you for it!

3) My last choice would be smoking with the weber. I say that because smoking in a charcoal smoker is a lot of work. Lots of guys do it, so if it floats your boat go for it. Does it have the size to accommodate large pieces of meat like a brisket or pork butt?

Here is my smoker:
Masterbuilt (http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt%C2%AE-30-Stainless-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B000LDWXQA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1215791394&sr=8-1)

There are tons of electric smokers at all kinds of prices. Here are some of meatheads suggestions:
http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/electric_smokers.html

Here's his picks on charcoal smokers:
http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/charcoal_smokers.html

HisLeast
Jul 11th 2008, 04:31 PM
1) Grill - Use your weber to do traditional grilling (burgers, dogs, hot links, chicken, etc.).

2) Buy a good smoker - For an investment of $150 - $300 you can get a great electric smoker that will last you for many, many years. For that size of a party I would do pulled pork or brisket and my peppers. They will love you for it!

3) My last choice would be smoking with the weber. I say that because smoking in a charcoal smoker is a lot of work. Lots of guys do it, so if it floats your boat go for it. Does it have the size to accommodate large pieces of meat like a brisket or pork butt?

Hey TM. I was thinking of doing a traditional grill. I'm only used to doing it for a max of 6 people though. I'm not sure about the grilling logistics for a party 4 x the size. Will the coals last long enough for me to cook for that many people? If my hot spot is in the middle should I just add a ton more coals and try to do more at once or should I start early adn do the meat in "shifts"?

As for smoking, I'm a bit leary of having my inaugural try at it for a party that size, but yes, I have one of the larger models of Weber. I'll try to get the link later.

Toolman
Jul 11th 2008, 06:22 PM
Hey TM. I was thinking of doing a traditional grill. I'm only used to doing it for a max of 6 people though. I'm not sure about the grilling logistics for a party 4 x the size. Will the coals last long enough for me to cook for that many people? If my hot spot is in the middle should I just add a ton more coals and try to do more at once or should I start early adn do the meat in "shifts"?

As for smoking, I'm a bit leary of having my inaugural try at it for a party that size, but yes, I have one of the larger models of Weber. I'll try to get the link later.

All good questions HL. I'm gonna have to let someone else field them though. My experience with large parties has only been my propane grill (here (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1179512&postcount=21)) and my smoker, so I'll let someone with some experience with charcoal and large parties tackle this one.

HisLeast
Jul 11th 2008, 06:27 PM
Here's (http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=4&mid=25) what I'm packin'.

Big T
Jul 11th 2008, 11:23 PM

As for smoking, I'm a bit leary of having my inaugural try at it for a party that size, but yes, I have one of the larger models of Weber. I'll try to get the link later.At 24 people I suggest putting the coals to one side, mostly, and not so much of a mound. Then you can keep the stuff warm in an oven. Depending on what you're cooking.

BTW, I'm jealous. I want one of those.

HisLeast
Jul 13th 2008, 05:10 AM
At 24 people I suggest putting the coals to one side, mostly, and not so much of a mound. Then you can keep the stuff warm in an oven. Depending on what you're cooking.

BTW, I'm jealous. I want one of those.

A 24 person BBQ or the Weber Performance?

Big T
Jul 15th 2008, 12:06 AM
LOL, I meant if grilling for 24 people, keep the coals to about 3/4 of the grill, that way you can move the food around. But it also depends on what you're grilling. If burgers and dogs, that's easy. If there's chicken, then there's a different story.

Big T
Jul 15th 2008, 12:08 AM
I made pulled pork the other day. Wow, it takes a long time to cook 8 pounds of butt. After 8 hours it was still not done, so I had to cheat and put it on the gas grill for about 1/2 an hour to get it up to temp.

HisLeast
Jul 15th 2008, 02:10 PM
LOL, I meant if grilling for 24 people, keep the coals to about 3/4 of the grill, that way you can move the food around. But it also depends on what you're grilling. If burgers and dogs, that's easy. If there's chicken, then there's a different story.

Its looking like its going to be a lot less than 24. I dilly-dallied on the invites a bit so people have made plans even though its more than two weeks out.

I'm going to grill chicken, shrimp, and sausages + some veggies.

I'm figuring the turnout is probably going to be more like 12 so I'm just going to wing it.

HisLeast
Jul 29th 2008, 01:22 PM
Ok... so it ends up that 14 people RSVP'd, but only 2 showed up. It was a little frustrating to buy & prep for that many people and have so many people bail, but at least we had lots of left overs.

I grilled up a ton of chicken legs in two varieties. The first was my rosemary-parseley-applecider vinegar-oil marinadea, and the second was my whiskey-bbq-honey-soy-chillipowder-oregano sauce. Also did up some corn in oil, salt, & pepper. This was also my first experience using a chimney starter, and I'll never go back to gas.

Toolman
Jul 29th 2008, 02:57 PM
Ok... so it ends up that 14 people RSVP'd, but only 2 showed up. It was a little frustrating to buy & prep for that many people and have so many people bail, but at least we had lots of left overs.

I grilled up a ton of chicken legs in two varieties. The first was my rosemary-parseley-applecider vinegar-oil marinadea, and the second was my whiskey-bbq-honey-soy-chillipowder-oregano sauce. Also did up some corn in oil, salt, & pepper. This was also my first experience using a chimney starter, and I'll never go back to gas.

Sounds like even though your guests no showed (shame on them!) you got some good cooking experience.

tt1106
Jul 29th 2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry I'm late. I like to cook Tri-Tip on the grill. I turn the heat way down and crack the lid and cook to a nice medium rare. I rub in some slat and pepper and it is sooooo good.
Melts in your mouth.
Good stuff.
Unfortunately (or fortunately;)) my wife and daughters are all Vegetarians and have been for some time, so I am the only one(except friends and family) that gets to enjoy it.

TrustingFollower
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:11 AM
Here is a little rendition from some southern gents as a tribute to the BBQ. Hope ya'll enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

amazzin
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:22 AM
Here is a little rendition from some southern gents as a tribute to the BBQ. Hope ya'll enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

Umm,..cough cough...not sure what to say with any spiritual significance here...God have mercy

TrustingFollower
Aug 3rd 2008, 03:24 AM
Umm,..cough cough...not sure what to say with any spiritual significance here...God have mercy
Yep, pure redneck my pastor friend.

Buck shot
Aug 6th 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know, that young guy had on shorts....

shorts do not equal redneck. Maybe he's part of the next generation :P

White BBQ - Is this true?