PDA

View Full Version : Excercise and Diet -- atrus912 (Ben)

atrus912
Mar 11th 2008, 01:18 AM
I've made the recommitment to my workout program this morning, so I'm going with the basic stuff Toolman has advised me on, and adding whatever other physical activity I can think of everywhere else.

I am a smoker, but trying to quit. I'll be logging tobacco consumption in this thread to. I'm trying to slowly ween myself off, but if that doesn't work, then we shall see what we shall see.

Daily Posts for this thread, comments welcome and appreciated.

First, vital stats:

Name: Ben (Benjammin')
Height: 6' 2.5''
Weight: 218 Pounds
Build: Muscular/Heavyset

Now, today's dietary intake. I would love to do five meals a day, but on my schedule and budget, I can't do that effectively or consistently.

DIET

BREAKFAST

1 small Omelette (made with egg whites) with ham, tomatoes, green peppers, onions.
1 cup of fresh strawberries.
1 6-ounce cup of coffee flavored with splenda and skim millk
1 12-ounce orange juice (100% juice).LUNCH
1 bowl (1.5 cups) tomato-based vegetable soup (no meat).
1.5 cups Linguine noodles with 1 cup alfredo sauce and 0.25 cup grilled chicken.
1 12-ounce cup sweetened iced tea.
1 12-ounce cup skim milk.
1 bowl (1.5 cups) JelloDINNER
6 Ounces grilled chicken in sweet and sour sauce.
1 wrap with turkey, lettuce, tomatoe, 1 slice swiss cheese, and low-fat cesar dressing.
1 12-ounce cup sweetened iced tea.
1 12-ounce cup lemon gatorade.TOBACCO
6 Cigarettes (regular length)ALCOHOL
None
EXCERCISE

No gym today.
Deep Throat's Run -- I should explain this one...it's my personal running program. There is a multi-story (5 levels) parking deck on campus. Right now, I run one lap on each level, ascend a level, run one lap, all the way to the top, and then down with a lap on each level. This is done either very early in the morning or late at night when no cars are around. Today, I am about to go do it, and report on the results in about an hour and a half.
The above will probably increase in laps as time goes on. I don't actually expect to keep a complete running pace tonight, though I'll give it my best shot.Okay...there's for the first day. Please comment as you feel appropriate.

atrus912
Mar 11th 2008, 02:13 AM
Just finished my meeting with the Washington Post.

I managed to keep a moderate pace going all the way up...right until the top level where I started aching and panting like crazy and had to stop at the end of the lap. I walked briskly down to the first level, and sprinted the last lap.

I'm here at home now, and my calves and thighs ache like crazy. I feel a little sick to my stomach too. I didn't throw up or anything, though.

Toolman
Mar 11th 2008, 03:28 PM
Good to see you starting up again Ben and starting a thread here will probably help a bit with accountability.

As far as the smokes... patch, life savers, nic gum, etc. You know the drill. God speed with kicking it.

atrus912
Mar 11th 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks man. Smoking is a sever drag on my personal economy. It's honestly a lifestyle I can't afford.

atrus912
Mar 12th 2008, 12:08 AM
Okay, itís very, very clear to me that Iím out of shape. First of all, I realized just now that I actually weigh 230 pounds, which is pretty severely overweight, obviously. I was basing that weight off of a checkup from before Christmas, so I shouldíve probably gotten a more accurate reading yesterday and then reported to Ďyall. Oopps.
Iím putting myself on a stricter diet than I had previously planned to. Iím going to also really step this whole thing up. I have enough time now for all of this, and Iím going to use it.

DIET

BREAKFAST
1 Medium Omelette with Ham, Green Peppers, Onion, and Tomato
2/3 Cups Fresh Kiwi, sliced
1 Cup Fresh Grapes
12 Ounces Milk
LUNCH
2 Thighs Broiled Chicken
1 Cup Chicken Noodle Soup
1.25 Cups Canned Mixed Vegetables
1 Cup Steamed Broccoli
15 Ounces Apple Juice
1 Cup Jello
DINNER
1 Barbecue Wrap with Lettuce and Tomato on Tortilla
1 Salad with Lettuce, Tomato, and Cucumber with French Dressing on the side.
15 Ounces Lime Gatorade
12 Ounces Skim MilkTOBACCO

1 Menthol Regular Length Cigarette
4 Regular Length Cigarettes, non-menthol
ALCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

GYM

I decided to return to my beginnerís workout for the first week, and then construct an intermediate workout for the second week until itís time for a more advanced routine. Iím going to go ahead and construct my own routine for the intermediate workout. What follows are the exercises, the resistance level in parentheses, and each set separated by the semicolon.

Bench Press (90 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=8
Lateral Pulldown (Level 7) 1=16 ; 2=14 ; 3=13 Curls (15 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=12; 3=11
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=11 ; 3=10
Shoulder Press (55 pounds) 1=13; 2=11 ; 3=10
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=12 ; 2=12 ; 3=11
Leg Extension (Level 10) 1=12 ; 2=11 ; 3=10
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=20 ; 2=14 ; 3=7

30 Minutes of Stationary Bike Cardio at Level 5, should proceed to Level 6 in a week or at most a week and one-half

I think itís pretty clear that a lot of those need to come a notch or two on resistance. The only thing that I had issues with is the calf raises. On the second and third set, I was doing fine and then suddenly my left calf felt like it was going to pop off and slide into my foot. It was something thatÖsort of felt like it wanted to cramp or something of a similar nature. Might be nothing. I donít know. Either way, there it is for Ďyall.

Toolman
Mar 12th 2008, 01:54 PM
Ben,

Read this post:
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=93984

I know you have some trouble getting enough food but remember... tuna fish is dirt cheap :)

Also, stretch those calves out a bit before beginning your set. Will probably help.

Remember my friend.. its ALL about consistensy first and foremost and intensity a close second. If you master those 2 there is no stopping you.

atrus912
Mar 13th 2008, 03:02 AM
I didn't do anything in the way of excercise really today because I was plumb out beat. This isn't really a problem per se as this isn't one of my gym days, but I would have like to try something. I was so tired all day, and I need to get to sleep in the next 20 minutes, so I need to make this quick.

BREAKFAST

1 cup milk with 1 cup Raisin BranLUNCH

1 medium plate of whole grain pasta topped with tomato sauce and beef meatballs
1 serving steamed zucchuni
1 serving boiled corn
1 glass milk
1 glass lime poweradeSNACK
1 can soda pop (day's small indulgence)
A quarter of a bag of non-butter popcornDINNER

1 bowl black bean chili
1 turkey wrap with sparse ranch dressing
1 glass lime powerade
1 glass milkTOBACCO

5 regular cigarettes

ALCOHOL

1 Scotch with soda

EXERCISE

None to speak of. Just running from one task to the next on campus. I moved around campus more than I usually do if that counts for anything.

Toolman, I'm actually not quite as poor as I used to be. I've got some decent money being made from my job at campus housing nowadays. I'll be sure to take that advice. Most of my meals still come on campus though. That's easy to work with though, as you can see above.

JIML
Mar 13th 2008, 05:47 AM
I didn't do anything in the way of excercise really today because I was plumb out beat. This isn't really a problem per se as this isn't one of my gym days, but I would have like to try something. I was so tired all day, and I need to get to sleep in the next 20 minutes, so I need to make this quick.

BREAKFAST

1 cup milk with 1 cup Raisin BranLUNCH

1 medium plate of whole grain pasta topped with tomato sauce and beef meatballs
1 serving steamed zucchuni
1 serving boiled corn
1 glass milk
1 glass lime poweradeSNACK
1 can soda pop (day's small indulgence)
A quarter of a bag of non-butter popcornDINNER

1 bowl black bean chili
1 turkey wrap with sparse ranch dressing
1 glass lime powerade
1 glass milkEXERCISE

None to speak of. Just running from one task to the next on campus. I moved around campus more than I usually do if that counts for anything.

Toolman, I'm actually not quite as poor as I used to be. I've got some decent money being made from my job at campus housing nowadays. I'll be sure to take that advice. Most of my meals still come on campus though. That's easy to work with though, as you can see above.

Hey bro, its good to see you join our "Diet and Training" Squad!!!
I created a thread here not to long ago where I posted some articles and some advice on how I make my diet work with all the classes and you know crazy work schedules. So check it out, its called...., hmmm I forgot what its called ahahaha, "Tips on how to make your diet work" or something like that, might find something useful or may be you can share some good advice.

Toolman
Mar 13th 2008, 01:42 PM
Hey bro, its good to see you join our "Diet and Training" Squad!!!
I created a thread here not to long ago where I posted some articles and some advice on how I make my diet work with all the classes and you know crazy work schedules. So check it out, its called...., hmmm I forgot what its called ahahaha, "Tips on how to make your diet work" or something like that, might find something useful or may be you can share some good advice.

tips On Making Your Diet Work (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=113162)

atrus912
Mar 14th 2008, 04:02 AM
Okay, I'm going to go ahead and let this last through next week just so that the resistances can finally be decided on for the starting round, then I'll add a few more. My body seems to be deciding how much it wants to take, so I'll just make it another week on the basic round just to be sure.

DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Croissant with cream cheese.
1 Glass apple juiceLUNCH

2 Slices Baked Ham
1 Cup peas with snaps
1 Cup or so of Southern style potato saladDINNER

1 Ham wrap with lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and honey mustard
1 Cup steamed cauliflower with cheese added
1 Cup peppered peasSNACK(S)

1 Can Vault soda pop
1 Apple
About 20 or so boiled peanuts (ahhh...bliss)TOBACCO

6 Cigarettes

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

NOTE: Resistance changes and signifigant changes are bolded.

UPPER BODY

Bench Press (90 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=10
Lateral Pulldown (Level 8) 1=12 ; 2=12 ; 3=10
Curls (20 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=11; 3=8
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=9 ; 3=8
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=8 ; 3=5*
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=11 ; 2=9 ; 3=4
Leg Extension (Level 11) 1=12 ; 2=10 ; 3=11*
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=28 ; 3=27

*These two struck me as a bit odd. The last set of shoulder presses is a little low on the reps before I hit failure. This is probably because I hit the shoulder press right after I finished the last set of bench pressing, so my arms weren't...fully ready for it perhaps. I'm not sure. The leg extension increased on the last set before failure, which was odd, but that resistance obviously is due to come up anyway. I could've probably even done more there if I really wanted to.

The calf raises showed pleasent results as opposed to Tuesday. I took Toolman's advice and stretched a little for that. It would seem that stretching and the fact that my calves were better prepared for it all broke the muscles in pretty well. What do 'yall think?

I also think it's time to raise the resistance level on the bench press, I'll give it a run Tuesday of next week, or Saturday if I get the urge to go to the gym.

So...tell me what's yall's think.

JIML
Mar 14th 2008, 06:10 AM
Are you doing Upper Body/Lower body split??? Because it is advisable to have 1 pushing exercise per every pulling and I see 3 pushing exercises and only 1 pulling, so may be add some rows in there, cable rows are kind of fun!;)

Toolman
Mar 14th 2008, 01:54 PM
JIML,

I advised Ben to do a full body routine as a beginning routine for a few weeks to get his body ready for more advanced routines. This is always my advice to someone who is just beginning. About 6-8 weeks of full body work if they have never trained before. If they've trained before but have been off for a long time I advise 3-4 weeks of full body.

As far as pushing and pulling, I believe the Bench Press and Shoulder Press are the main push and the Latimus pulldowns (not lateral :)) and the pushdowns (tricep pushdowns) are the main push exercises. Some hamstring curls might be nice in there but since Ben's plan is only for a week or two on this one then should be fine.

Ben is that all correct? The only one I'm not sure about is what you call "pushdown".. is that a tricep pushdown? (Sorry its been so long since we discussed this routine I've forgotten a bit).

JIML
Mar 14th 2008, 10:59 PM
JIML,

I advised Ben to do a full body routine as a beginning routine for a few weeks to get his body ready for more advanced routines. This is always my advice to someone who is just beginning. About 6-8 weeks of full body work if they have never trained before. If they've trained before but have been off for a long time I advise 3-4 weeks of full body.

As far as pushing and pulling, I believe the Bench Press and Shoulder Press are the main push and the Latimus pulldowns (not lateral :)) and the pushdowns (tricep pushdowns) are the main push exercises. Some hamstring curls might be nice in there but since Ben's plan is only for a week or two on this one then should be fine.

Ben is that all correct? The only one I'm not sure about is what you call "pushdown".. is that a tricep pushdown? (Sorry its been so long since we discussed this routine I've forgotten a bit).

Well... I can't argue with THE MAN :rofl:.

atrus912
Mar 15th 2008, 02:40 AM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Omelette with ham, cheese, tomato, green pepper, onion and mushroom.
1 Glass milk
1 Glass GatoradeLUNCH

1 Strawberry/bananna smoothie
1 6 inch sub sandwich with roast beef, lettuce, tomato, provolone cheese, and honey mustard (is honey mustard pretty healthy?).DINNER

CHEAT OF THE WEEK: Large helping of white rice. Large helping of shrimp with mushrooms and mixed vegetables (Chinese food).
1 Bowl hot and sour soup.
9 Fried dumplings
1 Egg roll
All of the above was my cheat for this week.SNACK(S)

Half a bag of buttered popcornTOBACCO

6 Cigarettes

AlCOHOL

1 Pint of ale

EXERCISE

None really to speak of today, I'll hit Deep Throat's Run tomorrow if nothing else.

Any thoughts guys?

atrus912
Mar 16th 2008, 05:38 AM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Bowl hot and sour soup
1 Glass sweet teaLUNCH

1 Plate jerk chicken and red beans and rice
1 Small Salad with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber
1 Glass Coca ColaDINNER

1 Cup mashed potatoes with gravy
1 Cup Macoroni and CheeseSNACK(S)
1 Medium movie theatre size popcorn
1 Large movie teatre coca-cola (only drank half)TOBACCO

6 Cigarettes (100's)

AlCOHOL

1 Shot vodka mixed with about 1/2 a cup of Monster energy drink

EXERCISE

DEEP THROAT'S RUN

1 lap each level going up, kept running at a moderate pace on the the second tier going down, and then had to briskly walk the rest of the way down. That's improvement over last time.

15 Minutes on the treadmill at Level 5

Any thoughts guys? I know I botched the diet today.

Toolman
Mar 16th 2008, 06:44 PM
Ben,

My thoughts... get the diet a bit more in order, hit the weights a little more often and keep up the carido.

Consistency and intensity... work on mastering those 2 in both diet and workout.

Increase your protein in your diet and cut more of the processed crap out. The more stuff you can eat like a "caveman" the better. Ask yourself, "would a caveman have been able to eat this"?
A box of macaroni? The answer would be no. A nice grilled steak with some leafy spinach? Absolutely.

atrus912
Mar 16th 2008, 11:05 PM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Blueberry Bagel
1 Glass orange juiceLUNCH

1 Philly Cheesesteak
1 Glass Milk
1 Glass cranberry juiceDINNER

1 Salad with Lettuce, Cucumber, and French dressingSNACK(S)

NoneTOBACCO

3 Cigarettes (100's)

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

None really to speak of. I might do Deep Throat's Run later tonight if I feel up to it, but I have a lot of reading to do.

atrus912
Mar 18th 2008, 01:16 AM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Bowl raisin bran with milkLUNCH

1 Bowl beef and noodle soup
1 Hamburger (on toasted honey wheat bread) with tomato, lettuce, cheeseDINNER

1 Bowl beef and noodle soup
1 Small plate of pasta with marinara sauce (with a bit of green pepper)
1 Card-deck size slice of roasted pork
1 Cup sweet carrots (steamed with honey)
1 Cup steamed green beans with mushroomsSNACK(S)

3/4 Cup tuna fish (albacore)TOBACCO

5 Cigarettes (3 regular 100's, 2 Menthol regulars)

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

Just a 20 minute jog around the block. I hit the gym tomorrow morning. Should be interesting.

Any more thoughts, bros?

atrus912
Mar 18th 2008, 01:45 PM
I'll give the full report later, but I wanted to share the weigh-in today at the gym.

I now weigh 228 pounds. That's two pounds less than last week's weigh-in of 230. Progress, albeit just a bit, makes me happy.

atrus912
Mar 19th 2008, 02:44 AM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Bowl fruit loops with milk.
1 Glass gatoradeLUNCH

1 Grilled chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato, and sparse ceaser dressing.
1 Serving steamed broccoli
1 Glass orange juice
1 Glass gatoradeDINNER

CHEAT OF THE WEEK: I went to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight for dinner, so I figured I'd cheat there.
1 Large cheeseburger (swiss cheese) with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and kethcup on a large bun.
A fair-sized serving of large fries.
1 Wedge pickle.
1 3/4 Cups rasberry ice cream
2 Glasses coca-colaSNACK(S)

3/4 Cup tuna fish (albacore)
1 Glass skim milkTOBACCO

5 Cigarettes (100's regular)

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

NOTE: Signifigant changes and events are bolded.

CARDIO

I've been doing pretty well on Level 5 on the treadmill, and thought I'd bump it up to Level 6 today, but I only made it through 17 minutes of the 30 minute length. I started feeling a large amount of pain in my sides, felt pretty nauseated, and then I started feeling really light headed and like I had a fever. I figured it may be time to stop and take it back down to Level 5 for a while longer. My grandmother (who is a nurse) said that I didn't need to push myself that hard. What do you guys think? I'm saying I should take it back down to Level 5.

Final Result: 17 Minutes at Level 6

GYM

I only got through two sets today because they closed the gym down early this morning. I don't think it'll affect things too much, and I still think it results in progress. I should have the full three sets in on Thursday. They had to do some maintenance work on some of the machines in the gym, that was why.

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=12 ; 2=10
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=8
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=10
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=9
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=12 ; 2=10
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=12 ; 2=10
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=29

I think I'll go ahead and further increase the bench press...although I'm not sure. I know that even an additional 5 pounds can make a huge difference. What is yall's advice on this?
The sitting calf raises can definitely come up.
I'm pretty pleased with my progress on all the exercises. Especially the ab press. That should be coming up fairly soon. Perhaps even Thursday.Okay, so there it is. I could use any suggestions or comments. Please give feedback where you see appropriate.

Toolman
Mar 19th 2008, 01:54 PM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Bowl fruit loops with milk.
1 Glass gatorade

Ben,

Cut the cereal and the bagles. Replace with the omelette. Every single day. This stuff will keep you from making progress on your fat loss. Jacks your insulin levels up like crazy.

Egg omelette should contain 1 whole egg and 2-3 whites and whatever meat and veggies you want to throw in there.

Cut the gatorade too. Only have gatorade immediately following your weight training. Gatorade is a high glycemic carb and should only be consumed post weight training and at no other time.

LUNCH

1 Grilled chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato, and sparse ceaser dressing.
1 Serving steamed broccoli
1 Glass orange juice
1 Glass gatorade

Cut the gatorade and OJ. Stick with water. We can add more fruit back into diet after you've dropped your weight.

DINNER

CHEAT OF THE WEEK: I went to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight for dinner, so I figured I'd cheat there.
1 Large cheeseburger (swiss cheese) with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and kethcup on a large bun.
A fair-sized serving of large fries.
1 Wedge pickle.
1 3/4 Cups rasberry ice cream
2 Glasses coca-colaSNACK(S)

3/4 Cup tuna fish (albacore)
1 Glass skim milkTOBACCO

5 Cigarettes (100's regular)

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

NOTE: Signifigant changes and events are bolded.

CARDIO

I've been doing pretty well on Level 5 on the treadmill, and thought I'd bump it up to Level 6 today, but I only made it through 17 minutes of the 30 minute length. I started feeling a large amount of pain in my sides, felt pretty nauseated, and then I started feeling really light headed and like I had a fever. I figured it may be time to stop and take it back down to Level 5 for a while longer. My grandmother (who is a nurse) said that I didn't need to push myself that hard. What do you guys think? I'm saying I should take it back down to Level 5.

Final Result: 17 Minutes at Level 6

Absolutely don't need to push it where you start feeling light headed. Just stay consistent for now and push yourself but not to the point of passing out :)

GYM

I only got through two sets today because they closed the gym down early this morning. I don't think it'll affect things too much, and I still think it results in progress. I should have the full three sets in on Thursday. They had to do some maintenance work on some of the machines in the gym, that was why.

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=11
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=12 ; 2=10
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=8
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=10
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=12 ; 2=9
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=12 ; 2=10
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=12 ; 2=10
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=29

I think I'll go ahead and further increase the bench press...although I'm not sure. I know that even an additional 5 pounds can make a huge difference. What is yall's advice on this?
The sitting calf raises can definitely come up.
I'm pretty pleased with my progress on all the exercises. Especially the ab press. That should be coming up fairly soon. Perhaps even Thursday.Okay, so there it is. I could use any suggestions or comments. Please give feedback where you see appropriate.

Whenever you can do 15 reps all 3 cycles then up the weight.

atrus912
Mar 19th 2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks Toolman. I'll try to stick to the omellete, but no guaruntees. It might be a tuna sandwich for breakfast if it comes down to that, which I don't have any problem with.

One Question: If you feel slightly sick...like...a slight pain when you swallow. Is it still okay to go to the gym then? I want to go tomorrow, and I don't think I'd have a problem, but I don't want to do any harm or make anything worse, either. I don't think I would end up doing that though. Slight sore throat and mild coughing are the only symptoms.

Make that Two: Is cardio more effective in the morning than at night?

Toolman
Mar 19th 2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks Toolman. I'll try to stick to the omellete, but no guaruntees. It might be a tuna sandwich for breakfast if it comes down to that, which I don't have any problem with.

That's cool.. make sure the bread for the sandwich is 100% whole grain.

No processed white crap.. sugar, bread, white rice, etc.

One Question: If you feel slightly sick...like...a slight pain when you swallow. Is it still okay to go to the gym then? I want to go tomorrow, and I don't think I'd have a problem, but I don't want to do any harm or make anything worse, either. I don't think I would end up doing that though. Slight sore throat and mild coughing are the only symptoms.

I would :)

Get some good rest, take plenty of vitamin c.

Is cardio more effective in the morning than at night?

Its debateable. Many believe it is because you are coming off a fast and body can't use food for energy and must dip into fat stores (or muscle).

I believe cardio is most effective when you are consistent with it. So if you can be consistent in the morning do that. If you can be consistent in evening do that. If both are equal then choose whichever one you prefer for that day.

atrus912
Mar 20th 2008, 01:50 AM
DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Cup tuna with nothing else in itLUNCH

1 Plate pasta with meat and tomato sauce. Sorry, I didn't have any other options at the cafeteria, and I'm out of money for my own stuff. I get paid next week Friday, and my tax refund should be in in the next 3-5 days. I also need a new pair of shoes, mine are visibly wearing out daily. I'm not sure when I can get in a decent grocery run
1 Cup mixed steamed vegetables
1 Cup green beans mixed with mushrooms
1 Glass milkDINNER

2 Small pork chops, baked. Figured it wasn't too bad, but I've been trying to avoid pork.
1 Cup mixed steamed vegetables
1 Cup steamed peas (canned, probably. I didn't ask the cafeteria worker)SNACK(S)

None, I should have, but I didn't.TOBACCO

3 Cigarettes (1 100 Regular, 1 100 Menthol, 1 72 (short) light

AlCOHOL

None

EXERCISE

None to speak of, I wanted to make sure the cough didn't escalate. I don't have any vitamin C.

atrus912
Mar 20th 2008, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,

Here's the result of the gym this morning. I'll get you the diet and the cardio later tonight after the day's out.

EXERCISE

I was still sick when I woke up this morning, but I went ahead and went anyway. My body toughed through it, albeit grudgingly.

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=12 ; 3=10
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=12 ; 3=8
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=6 ; 3=4
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=10 ; 3=10
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=13 ; 2=8 ; 3=6
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=13
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=11
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=20 ; 2=16 ; 3=13

Okay, so there it is. I could use any suggestions or comments. Please give feedback where you see appropriate.

It's time to add some exercises, so whatever you guys fancy might be a good idea, I could use the suggestions.

JIML
Mar 20th 2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Toolman, correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason a person needs a lot of carbs post-workout is because the body is in catabolic state, so raising the insulin levels makes sure that nutrients get to the muscles. Another time during which body is in catabolic state is in the morning, because of the fact that you don't get to eat the whole night. So isn't it logical that you want to spike your insulin in the morning as well, since all these nutrients won't go into the love handles but into muscles instead?:hmm:

JIML
Mar 20th 2008, 04:42 PM
Hey guys,

Here's the result of the gym this morning. I'll get you the diet and the cardio later tonight after the day's out.

EXERCISE

I was still sick when I woke up this morning, but I went ahead and went anyway. My body toughed through it, albeit grudgingly.

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=12 ; 3=10
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=12 ; 3=8
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=12 ; 2=6 ; 3=4
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=12 ; 2=10 ; 3=10
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=13 ; 2=8 ; 3=6
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 6) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=13
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=11
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=20 ; 2=16 ; 3=13

Okay, so there it is. I could use any suggestions or comments. Please give feedback where you see appropriate.

It's time to add some exercises, so whatever you guys fancy might be a good idea, I could use the suggestions.

Can you do pull-ups/chin-ups? If you can, I'd replace both lateral pull-downs and curls with chin-ups.

atrus912
Mar 20th 2008, 05:52 PM
Can you do pull-ups/chin-ups? If you can, I'd replace both lateral pull-downs and curls with chin-ups.

No, I'm still not strong enough. I wish I could. I'd take your advice if I was capable at this point.

atrus912
Mar 20th 2008, 10:41 PM
BREAKFAST

About one-half of an ommellete. I felt kind of quesy and didn't want to eat the rest of the thing. Probably the best decision.LUNCH

1 Salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, and sparse french dressing.DINNER

2 Albacore tuna sandwiches on wheat with light mayo.fSNACK(S)

2 Glasses of skim milk.CARDIO

I did only 15 minutes on Level 5 today, and felt much more tired after that than usual. At least I did something. If I'm okay tomorrow, I'll go and do 30 minutes at Level 5 tomorrow night, or I'll do Deep Throat's Run.

I honestly do feel pretty sick now. I hope I'm better to hit the gym around Saturday when I plan to next.

Toolman
Mar 21st 2008, 06:53 PM
Hey Toolman, correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason a person needs a lot of carbs post-workout is because the body is in catabolic state, so raising the insulin levels makes sure that nutrients get to the muscles. Another time during which body is in catabolic state is in the morning, because of the fact that you don't get to eat the whole night. So isn't it logical that you want to spike your insulin in the morning as well, since all these nutrients won't go into the love handles but into muscles instead?:hmm:

JIML,

My understanding is that after a workout (anareobic) your glycogen levels in your muscles are depleted and need to be restored. Your post-workout meal should contain a more simple carb than usual so that your body does not break down muscle tissue for this same purpose (restoring glycogen).

This is the only time of the day that you want to ingest simple carbs (high glycemic), so that the absorbtion is fast, insulin spikes and glycogen is restored. I use gatorade for this purpose and only consume it post workout (with some protein and creatine if I'm on a cycle).

At all other times only complex carbs should be eaten, including in the morning. And most suggest taking in your carbs earlier in the day and moving away from carbs in later meals. You will still raise insulin with complex carbs but just not to the level that you do with simple carbs. Oatmeal with some natural maple syrup is often suggested as a good early morning carb.
By evening time you should be down to lean meat and leafy green veggies and perhaps some good fats (nice slab of fish with a spinach salad and olive oil dressing).

I don't know of any fitness person (that I have run across) who suggests simple carb ingestion any other time than post workout. But I'm open to reading any that you know of.

Couple of articles:
http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/women/post_workout_interview.htm

atrus912
Mar 21st 2008, 11:15 PM
Today, the mild cough has evolved into a full-blown cold. No exercise today.

DIET

BREAKFAST

1 Omelette prepared as I usually do
1 Glass orange juice (got no supplements, people, needed the C)
1 Glass milkLUNCH

1 Salad as I usually have it.
1 Glass MilkDINNER

2 Tuna sandwiches on whole wheat
Water for the rest of the nightSNACKS

NoneTOBACCO

I don't smoke when I'm sick. I'm crazy, not stupid.ALCOHOL

I'll have a nightcap later tonight. Just to help me sleep.Anybody got any more suggestions on exercises to add to the routine? I'll add my own if nobody does have anymore. Chinups are a no-go.

JIML
Mar 22nd 2008, 06:07 AM
JIML,

My understanding is that after a workout (anareobic) your glycogen levels in your muscles are depleted and need to be restored. Your post-workout meal should contain a more simple carb than usual so that your body does not break down muscle tissue for this same purpose (restoring glycogen).

This is the only time of the day that you want to ingest simple carbs (high glycemic), so that the absorbtion is fast, insulin spikes and glycogen is restored. I use gatorade for this purpose and only consume it post workout (with some protein and creatine if I'm on a cycle).

At all other times only complex carbs should be eaten, including in the morning. And most suggest taking in your carbs earlier in the day and moving away from carbs in later meals. You will still raise insulin with complex carbs but just not to the level that you do with simple carbs. Oatmeal with some natural maple syrup is often suggested as a good early morning carb.
By evening time you should be down to lean meat and leafy green veggies and perhaps some good fats (nice slab of fish with a spinach salad and olive oil dressing).

I don't know of any fitness person (that I have run across) who suggests simple carb ingestion any other time than post workout. But I'm open to reading any that you know of.

Couple of articles:
http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/women/post_workout_interview.htm

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, so aren't bagels and cereal complex carbs???

Oh and sorry Ben for hijacking your thread.

atrus912
Mar 22nd 2008, 01:03 PM
I was actually wondering why raisin bran isn't a complex carb. What about Total, Special K, and other such delicous breakfast treats?

atrus912
Mar 22nd 2008, 03:22 PM
I feel a lot better today. Not as much sneezing, and the coughing's gone, and I almost feel 100% better, so I decided to hit the gym today.

DIET: On track. You bros get the general jist of what I'm doing diet-wise, so I don't feel the need to keep the daily record anymore. If I cheat out-of-bounds, I'll be sure to tell 'yall for accountability reasons.

EXERCISE

NOTE: Signifigant changes in resistance are bolded and items of concern are in RED. Please take note of them

I only did two sets today as Saturday isn't on the cycle anyway, and I was short on time.

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=13 ;
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=12 ;
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=8 ; 2=2 ;
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=15 ; 2=14 ;
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=13 ; 2=8 ;
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 7) 1=15 ; 2=15 ;
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=15 ;
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=28 ; 2=26 ;

I don't know why the curls dropped so low, but it may be a call to drop the resistance. I dunno'.

The following are exercises that I might want to add to the roster. Please comment and tell if 'yall approve.

Plate-loaded leg press
Rowing machine
Seated leg curlAny more ideas are more than welcome.

Toolman
Mar 22nd 2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, so aren't bagels and cereal complex carbs???

Oh and sorry Ben for hijacking your thread.

Check the ingredients on any of these. Most breakfast cereals are loaded with sugars and high fructose corn syrup (just about the worst thing you can consume).

Bagels can pass to an extent, if made from whole grains, but considering the amount of fat Ben is attempting to lose I would strongly suggest cutting these carbs out and replacing with leafy greens and fiborous veggies. Plenty of complex carbs in those and none of "bad" stuff.

Generally speaking, if it comes in a box be aware that it is processed. The less processed food you consume the better off you are going to be.

atrus912
Mar 24th 2008, 03:16 PM
Anybody got any more ideas for those exercises, or are mine good for now? I can add more.

Toolman
Mar 24th 2008, 03:21 PM
Ben,

I think you are good for now (IMO). Stick with what you have and just be consistent and intense at that and it should last you a good bit longer.

Once you can do a consistent 15 reps across all 3 sets then up the weight.

atrus912
Mar 24th 2008, 05:03 PM
You mean stick with the original workout or add the 3 exercises I previously mentioned?

Confused64
Mar 24th 2008, 05:54 PM
Anybody got any more ideas for those exercises, or are mine good for now? I can add more.

how much rest time are you taking between sets? Your decreased performance with your curls could be more a result of fatigue rather then resistance.

Considering the exercises you are thinking of adding-

1). good add
2). what are you attempting to accomplish with this? What's your focus?
3). good add

Toolman
Mar 24th 2008, 06:13 PM
You mean stick with the original workout or add the 3 exercises I previously mentioned?

Stick with the original would be my advice or replace some of the exercises you are doing now with the appropriate of your 3 new ones (i.e. leg presses for leg extension, etc.).

After another few weeks of this routine I would move to a more advanced routine but for now I think this is a good fit but if you want to add a few more exercises that is, of course, your choice. You know your body better than anyone.

atrus912
Mar 24th 2008, 08:18 PM
how much rest time are you taking between sets? Your decreased performance with your curls could be more a result of fatigue rather then resistance.

I don't rest too much between sets unless I want to get a drink of water or something like that.

I don't do all the sets for any one exercise at the same time. In other words, I might do the bench press, and then do one of my leg exercises while I give those muscles a chance to reset for a while.

2). what are you attempting to accomplish with this? What's your focus?

I just wanted to add another pulling exercise, and that seemed like the best one for now.

Stick with the original would be my advice or replace some of the exercises you are doing now with the appropriate of your 3 new ones (i.e. leg presses for leg extension, etc.).

After another few weeks of this routine I would move to a more advanced routine but for now I think this is a good fit but if you want to add a few more exercises that is, of course, your choice. You know your body better than anyone.

We'll compromise, I'll add the seated leg curls this week, and then let that sit for this week.

atrus912
Mar 25th 2008, 03:49 AM
DIET: On track.

EXERCISE: Just the normal walking around campus. Did jog a little on my way home. Gym tomorrow, of course.

atrus912
Mar 25th 2008, 01:14 PM
Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=12
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=12 ; 3=11
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=13 ; 2=12 ; 3=10
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=14
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=13 ; 2=9 ; 3=7
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 7) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=14
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=15
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=30 ; 3=30

DIET: On Track

CARDIO: 30 Minutes, treadmill, level 5

atrus912
Mar 27th 2008, 02:51 AM

I woke up this mornign with a fever and severely congested. I didn't even go to classes today ro to work. Also, I have a test tomorrow that I'm still not even remotely ready for. Therefore, I'm not hitting the gym tomorrow.

I hate it, but them's the breaks. I'll try to go on Saturday if I'm feeling signifigantly better then.

atrus912
Mar 27th 2008, 04:04 PM

atrus912
Mar 31st 2008, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, my internet has been down for the last three days, and I kind of let myself go over the weekend when I was just enjoying some time with friends. I ate a lot, drank a little, and didn't too much of any exercise (all night D&D tournaments).

So...today's my day back on board as it were. I'll post the normal entry later today.

atrus912
Apr 2nd 2008, 11:48 PM
DIET: On track

WEIGH-IN: 225 pounds

EXERCISE

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=12
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=12
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=14 ; 2=12 ; 3=11
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=13
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=14 ; 2=10 ; 3=8
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 7) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=13
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=14
Sitting Calf Raises (135 pounds) 1=30 ; 2=30 ; 3=30
Leg Crunches (Level 11) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=13

CARDIO

30 Minutes on treadmill at Level 5

atrus912
Apr 3rd 2008, 08:09 PM
DIET: On track

CIGGARETTES: 3 Cigarettes

ALCOHOL: One pint of mead. (:Dso tasty:D)

EXERCISE:

Bench Press (95 pounds) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=13
Lateral Pulldown (Level 9) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=12
Curls (25 pounds x 2) 1=14 ; 2=12 ; 3=12
Pushdowns (using 40 pound barbell gripped at center holds) 1=15 ; 2=13 ; 3=14
Shoulder Press (60 pounds) 1=14 ; 2=11 ; 3=8
Mechanical Abdominal Press (Level 7) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=14
Leg Extension (Level 12) 1=15 ; 2=15 ; 3=14
Sitting Calf Raises (180 pounds) 1=28 ; 2=22 ; 3=18
Leg Crunches (Level 11) 1=15 ; 2=14 ; 3=14

CARDIO: Just a jog through campus, and Deep Throats Run (kept pace up to the top of the parking deck, then started losing it on the second level down, and then had to briskly walk the rest of the way).

DAISHI
Apr 3rd 2008, 11:38 PM
Had no idea this thread existed. Good job.