PDA

View Full Version : What denomination do you belong to?

MidnightsPaleGlow
Mar 12th 2008, 03:20 AM
I know this question has probably been asked before, and if it has I apologize for reposting this as I am a noob after all, so of course I'm going to do stuff like this, but I was just curious as to what denominations other posters belong to. I myself am Church of Christ (mainline, NOT International), but I view other denominations as my brothers/sisters in the faith and I'm sure we all feel the same way regardless of our petty differences, I'm just asking this out of curiosity.

daughter
Mar 12th 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm just a Christian. I go to a CofE place with a friend of mine who's disabled. It helps her get there, and we have a great preacher for a vicar. He grins, and bounces, and enthusiastically expounds on the daily readings. He preaches like a kid who's itching to play with his Christmas presents... so I'd go there anyway, because it's so good to have a good preacher.

I also go to a Thursday prayer meeting with a bunch of friends from various denominations, and I volunteer at a Pentecostal type food kitchen in the town centre.

My son and I keep Sabbath on a Saturday, as best we can.

So... I'm just a Christian, who does me best.

Whispering Grace
Mar 12th 2008, 12:03 PM
Independent Pentecostal-Holiness

swtjudy
Mar 12th 2008, 12:10 PM
I have been to just about every denomination there is. I was led to the Lord in the Church of Christ (non-denominatinal), am now a member of a Southern Baptist church but have not attended any church for several months now. I too am just a Christian and am looking for the place I belong at this time. Organized religion is a problem for me as I see so much false teaching, but thats just me.

lbeaty1981
Mar 12th 2008, 02:39 PM
I've been going to a non-denominational church for about 9 months now, and have been greatly blessed while there. The thing I like best is just the way they give you total freedom to worship as you wish. Want to take communion? There are stations set up at the front. Want to give an offering? There are baskets set up around the worship center. Want to run around and wave brightly-colored flags? Take your pick! :)

lost_little_one
Mar 12th 2008, 04:31 PM
The church i'm a member of is independent baptist i believe.

skc53
Mar 12th 2008, 08:37 PM
I am actually a Missionary Baptist.;)

Phil Fourie
Mar 13th 2008, 11:04 AM
Evangelical reformed (South African) ;)

cheech
Mar 13th 2008, 11:29 AM
Currently attending a Pentecostal church...whooda thunk :D

baxpack7
Mar 16th 2008, 03:52 AM
I was raised Baptist, but realized that we are all a part of the family of God. Currently and forever non-denominational Christian.

threebigrocks
Mar 16th 2008, 10:36 PM
Currently attend a baptist church, but my heart is with Christ who knows no division. ;)

EaglesWINGS911
Mar 16th 2008, 10:37 PM
Raised baptist, have been attending a Church of Christ, but consider myself non-denominational...I love all the denominations, even the ones I disagree with:)

Seeker of truth
Mar 17th 2008, 12:39 AM
I'm Pentecostal :)

ChristianKnight
Mar 17th 2008, 05:17 AM
I am a Baptist, you forgot Jehovah Witness.

matthew94
Mar 17th 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey :)

The Link to the last poll like this is HERE (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=45372) (if you are interested)

I'm a wesleyan (from the methodist branch, a holiness denomination)

jmj
Mar 18th 2008, 12:46 AM
I put other- coz I'm evangelical, but not evangelical free- I'm not sure what that is.

ChristianKnight
Mar 25th 2008, 06:19 AM
Baptist out-number all others haha, I heard we are the largest Christian-Denomination, is that true?

Tonton
Mar 25th 2008, 11:29 AM
Non-denominational.

Anton

MidnightsPaleGlow
Mar 27th 2008, 02:42 AM
Baptist out-number all others haha, I heard we are the largest Christian-Denomination, is that true?

Yes, as far as I know the Southern Baptist Convention is the largest denomination in the Protestant tradition.

EmoAngel
Mar 27th 2008, 07:01 PM
Southern Baptist

MidnightsPaleGlow
Mar 27th 2008, 07:29 PM
I put other- coz I'm evangelical, but not evangelical free- I'm not sure what that is.

The Evangelical Free Church of America:

http://www.efca.org/

Warrior4God
Mar 31st 2008, 11:35 PM
I attend Mountain View Assembly of God in Spokane, Washington. I am a drummer/singer on the worship team there. I view anybody that claims Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all God in the Trinity, the only way to Heaven is salvation by Jesus dying on the cross, and there is a real Hell as being Christians, despite the difference in denomination. :D

ChristianKnight
Apr 1st 2008, 04:53 AM
I attend Mountain View Assembly of God in Spokane, Washington. I am a drummer/singer on the worship team there. I view anybody that claims Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit are all God in the Trinity, the only way to Heaven is salvation by Jesus dying on the cross, and there is a real Hell as being Christians, despite the difference in denomination. :D

So, your like me? You believe anyone that beliefs Jesus, God, and The Holy Ghost, as a True Christian, and that they go to heaven?

If so, your my friend :).

DAISHI
Apr 1st 2008, 08:48 AM
I'm AoG by background and degree/certification, however, I am entirely nondenominational in my practice.

Warrior4God
Apr 2nd 2008, 12:15 AM
So, your like me? You believe anyone that beliefs Jesus, God, and The Holy Ghost, as a True Christian, and that they go to heaven?

If so, your my friend :).

Yep. That's what I believe. I think the main thing we all have to believe to be a Christian is Jesus is the only way to salvation. Most, but certainly not all, of the other things various denominations may differ on probably don't matter. As long as we all serve the same God He will enlighten us on things we may differ on when we get to Heaven. :D

GaChristian
Apr 2nd 2008, 02:20 AM
I was raised Southern Baptist, from small town, however there has been rapid growth here for the last 15 yrs...so, I have ventured out and went to a Methodist church and Church of Christ...I am pretty familiar with the Methodist way, but I am intrigued by the COC-I have seen that there are a few of you out there, what else can I expect from the COC? When I went they sang acapella, and communion is weekly..but that is all that I know..It was a pleasant experience, bigger than I am used to and more "modern" than my old south Baptist church. I am with you guys, I believe as long as Christ is the focus and through Him you can be saved then any denomination or lack there of is ok with me...I was soo surprised to go to these different churches to find out that they are not that much different than my own. God Bless you all!!!

GaChristian
Apr 2nd 2008, 02:31 AM
also, the church I attended was Church of Christ, but I saw on the poll there is a united COC...what's the difference?

MidnightsPaleGlow
Apr 2nd 2008, 02:37 AM
also, the church I attended was Church of Christ, but I saw on the poll there is a united COC...what's the difference?

The United Church of Christ is a denominational institution, while the mainline Churches of Christ are congregational (I belong to a Church of Christ congregation out here on Long Island). Barack Obama's church (Trinity United Church of Christ) is part of the United Church of Christ.

MidnightsPaleGlow
Apr 2nd 2008, 02:51 AM
I am intrigued by the COC-I have seen that there are a few of you out there, what else can I expect from the COC? When I went they sang acapella, and communion is weekly..but that is all that I know..

Basically it grew out of a movement called the Restoration Movement, which was aimed at "restoring" the church back to its first century foundations based on what the scriptures taught, it was a movement aimed at tearing down the denominational walls that had divided the overall Protestant church. It basically had little regard for a lot of the creeds that developed over time, but kept intact all of the essential doctrines (Trinity, Virgin Birth, etc.). Churches of Christ are Arminian in theology in the sense that they believe that the believer's salvation is hinged on continued faith and can be lost by a willful act of apostasy. Independent Christian Churches are fundamentally identical and grew out of the same movement, the only difference is that Independent Christian Churches use instrumental music. I've worshiped with an Independent Christian congregation before, and many Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ often fellowship with one another despite the instruments (Independent Christian) vs. acapella (Churches of Christ) difference.

Jeanne D
Apr 2nd 2008, 03:28 AM

I belong to an Assembly of God church also. The reason I quoted you Aaron is because I used to attend Mountain View AOG , but in Las Vegas.
Guess that's a common name.

Jeanne:)

Sealed
Apr 7th 2008, 09:40 PM
I chose "other" because I am NON denom

Anya
Apr 9th 2008, 04:01 AM
NON denom here, also. I have yet to find one that I agree with everything on. I attend Church of Christ currently, and I like most of it, but they repeat the same prayers over and over and over every week and I think that is very wrong! But most of the denom junk is just nit picking, we may all have to share a pew in heaven and just get over it ;D

PeterJ
Apr 20th 2008, 05:51 PM
You forgot Pentecostal church :)

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 07:39 AM
I guess and Independent Christian, not sure if that would be categorized as Non-Denominational?

Bethany67
Jul 30th 2008, 04:59 AM
Non-denom here. I tend to gravitate towards churches that are charismatic/Pentecostal in practice, but not WOF - got caught up in a WOF church as a baby Christian and it cost me my faith once upon a time. Nowadays I put more of an emphasis on good preaching and teaching in terms of what I need.

smokey the dog
Jul 31st 2008, 05:10 AM
Southern Baptist here.

MidnightsPaleGlow
Jul 31st 2008, 11:48 AM
I know right now I'm actually in transition to another church home. After being in silent disagreement with my congregation's view on baptism (aka salvific) since late Jan, I broke my silence and made it known that I disagree with their view that baptism regenerates, which was my unofficial resignation.

BadDog
Aug 1st 2008, 02:39 PM
Wow! only 1 Presbyterian?! Amazing. They're one of the largest in the world, perhaps they are the largest. No, I suppose Baptist is.

BD

jlmac432
Jul 11th 2012, 04:52 PM
I am Roman Catholic, well not quite yet, i am getting baptized in a few weeks, On August (we don't have a date yet) 10-12

Indueseason
Jul 11th 2012, 05:04 PM
I don't belong to a denomination, I belong to Jesus :yes:

blessings to you :hug:

Edit to add: why are you getting baptized if your not a Christian? What do you think baptism represents?

-SEEKING-
Jul 12th 2012, 12:33 AM
I am Roman Catholic, well not quite yet, i am getting baptized in a few weeks, On August (we don't have a date yet) 10-12

Hmm. Not sure where it says in the Bible one must be baptized into a denomination.

What part of Rome are you from by the way?

Boo
Jul 12th 2012, 09:43 AM
My membership is with a Baptist church, but I quit going there. The only choices I have where I live limit me to churches that I disagree with on certain issues. So, the search continues..........

teddyv
Jul 12th 2012, 04:06 PM
My membership is with a Baptist church, but I quit going there. The only choices I have where I live limit me to churches that I disagree with on certain issues. So, the search continues..........
If you looking for the one church that agrees with all your views, it's not out there, unless it is the church of Boo.

Boo
Jul 13th 2012, 10:23 AM
If you looking for the one church that agrees with all your views, it's not out there, unless it is the church of Boo.

I'll bet that there is - just not around where I live.

mailmandan
Jul 13th 2012, 07:43 PM

I can't imagine you attending a Baptist church since you believe that we are not regenerated and cleansed from our sins until we are water baptized.

BrianW
Jul 16th 2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not one to divide myself on a denominational line simply because I consider myself a Christian and not a baptist, pentecostal, church of whatever....protestant meh whatever. I'm a Christian and part of the church no matter what name is on the building I happen to be worshiping and in fellowship in at the time.
I have however attended a few churches of different denominations and as long as they have the essential (Salvific ) core of the gospel right I don't get too hung up on the other stuff.
I have left a church over it's denominational decision to ordain openly and practicing homosexuals though. Some things I will not tolerate and purposely defying God's word and will is one of them.

glad4mercy
Jul 18th 2012, 09:45 PM
Non-Denominational, Calvary Chapel.

Started as a Free Will Baptist, ( about 2 decades), Nazarene for 3 years, currently attending a Calvary Chapel. Love my new church, but my FWB and Nazarene brethren will always be dear to me, (as well as everyone who lovest the Lord and believes the Gospel).

I have been blessed by many wonderful saints in numerous denominations, and I thank God at every remembrance of them.

Godslittleangel
Jul 22nd 2012, 01:26 AM
I go to a Lutheran Church in the LCMC synod. really like my church and feel that is where God wants me to be. My brother has been joining me too which is good. Praying he will accept Christ into his heart sometime.

SeminoleTom
Aug 6th 2012, 04:44 PM
Non-demo--- just Christian :)

illini1959
Aug 6th 2012, 07:35 PM
I've never gone by denominations either. I been a member of a Presbyterian, Disciples of Christ and Southern Baptist church (different ones because I've moved out of state). As long as their statement of faith is scriptural it doesn't matter to me what the denomination is. Just Christian for me, too :)

episkopos
Aug 6th 2012, 08:08 PM
Why no...

"The ones who only go by the name of Jesus Christ"

...option?

Zaida
Aug 15th 2012, 01:53 PM
Religious Society of Friends - orthodox (which just means we're Christian and not universalist)

The Mighty Sword
Aug 15th 2012, 05:25 PM
I'm Pentecostal too :D

whitetiger
Aug 15th 2012, 09:49 PM
Charismatic Episcopal Church :)

grandma dolittle
Aug 21st 2012, 01:43 PM
I am Free Will Baptist. Raised in a small country church and still attend the same church and I am 66 years old.

grandma

Cloudwalker
Aug 23rd 2012, 10:15 PM
I belong to, and attend a United Methodist church. But I have attended and worked through a great many others and have found God in all of them. I can honestly say with one of the founders of my demonitation (and please pardon any spelling mistakes, what little German I had was long ago.) "Were sind brudder."

newdaddy1223
Sep 16th 2012, 01:29 PM
Non-Denominational, Calvary Chapel.

Started as a Free Will Baptist, ( about 2 decades), Nazarene for 3 years, currently attending a Calvary Chapel. Love my new church, but my FWB and Nazarene brethren will always be dear to me, (as well as everyone who lovest the Lord and believes the Gospel).

I have been blessed by many wonderful saints in numerous denominations, and I thank God at every remembrance of them.

I grew up in AoG and met a pastor of a Calvary Chapel in the Poconos and have been going to Calvary Chapel ever since, though I am in a different state. I love the verse by verse teaching through the whole Bible. We don't actually have church membership because we don't want people to feel like they are saved simply because they joined a church. can't "join" the Church... you are born into it.