PDA

View Full Version : Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood...

oneinsidethezero
Mar 15th 2008, 12:42 AM
...you have no understanding in you. What is meant by eating the flesh of Jesus and drinking his blood?

DeadToSelf
Mar 15th 2008, 03:29 AM
John 6:53
"I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

You ask a question yet you have not understanding? Interesting well here is the answer.

What did JESUS CHRIST mean when HE said this to the people?
JESUS said this knowing that all those who claimed to be HIS would depart from HIM because of the hardness of their hearts. Just as the disciples in the previous chapters and found in Matthew-John always questioned JESUS of HIS parables because of the hardness of their hearts.

JESUS said this in meaning that:
unless I am the substinance of your everyday life then you will not have any part in me. This goes along with prayer which one not sealed by the BLOOD of CHIRST will not understand no matter how much I ground it into you!!! A true follower of CHIRST will realize that if he/she goes one day without prayer it is impossible for the individual to make it throughout a day.

John 4:13-14
"Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

This goes to show you drink water you thirst but the "liquid" that comes from JESUS (not HIS actual Blood) will sustain the follower of CHIRST.

John 4:32
"I have food to eat that you know nothing about."
What is this food the will of GOD!!!

Because the will of GOD is what is to consume the individual. It is what consumes me!!!

That is why if I do not drink the JESUS'S Blood and eat HIS FLESH then I will starv myself SPIRITUALLY!!!

DanDMan64
Mar 15th 2008, 05:25 AM
...you have no understanding in you. What is meant by eating the flesh of Jesus and drinking his blood?Well, I think it's quite obvious, don't you see? This line Jesus spoke the night before he was crucified, so obviously he meant for his disciples to dig him-up after his burial, and chop him-up and eat Him so his power to perform great miracles would be transferred unto them, and thus they could claim he had resurrected three days later when nobody could find his body. Is that what you wanted us to admit to?;)

I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic, but I have serious questions of my own about your true intentions in asking these questions. Are you a serious truth seeker trying to understand difficult passages? or are you rather using difficult passages to try to trip-us-up and get us to admit our Bible is full of things that don't make sense?

Let me ask you one question, if the God of the Bible came down from heaven and agreed to do what ever you asked of Him to prove to you He is real and the only true God, would you give-up everything in your life to become a Christian and serve Him without question?

Well, even if the answer is YES, He won't do that, He's already made it possible for you to know He's real without you ever needing to see Him, so if you're serious about finding Him then ask more relevant questions, like: Why should I accept Jesus? What did Jesus mean when He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to The Father but by me"? or, do I need to follow the 10 commandments to be saved? or why do I need to be "born again" and what does it mean? :confused

As to the above question, as with most everything Jesus said, it has a deep spiritual meaning which is most easily understood when you're mind is transformed by becoming "born again" of the Spirit, when your spirit becomes alive the whole Bible comes "alive" as well. :pp

If you'd like to know how to do that I'd be more than happy to answer that question.

oneinsidethezero
Mar 15th 2008, 08:39 AM
"Are you a serious truth seeker trying to understand difficult passages? or are you rather using difficult passages to try to trip-us-up and get us to admit our Bible is full of things that don't make sense?"

As we know, in truth there is no controversy or contradiction ("God is not the author of confusion"). Truth is that which cannot be contradicted. It is that which I seek and look for. I am a very serious truth seeker with very serious questions about the Christian faith. I happen to know all about the bible but have a different way of looking at it then you might. I would like to get some feedback on that viewpoint from a Christian perspective. I am in no way trying to shame anyone or trip you up or make a mockery of Christianity or be disrespectful.
But you are okay to question my motives for how can you meet me where I'm at if you don't know where I'm coming from...so please allow me to be a bit more forward with myself and my inquisition.

I ask this question of this forum "what is meant by eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood" because I have a different understanding of what that means. My understanding of what that means follows and I would like to hear others opinions on it:

Christ is the "Word of God". The bible is the "Word of God". The bible is like his word body that we are to eat. It is made up of flesh and blood "The Living Word". If we are to eat his flesh and drink his blood we are to get this nourishment from His Word. Hence the statement made by Christ, "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no understanding in you."

Am I making sense so far? Can you follow my train of thought?

bjones
Mar 15th 2008, 01:41 PM
"

Christ is the "Word of God". The bible is the "Word of God". The bible is like his word body that we are to eat. It is made up of flesh and blood "The Living Word". If we are to eat his flesh and drink his blood we are to get this nourishment from His Word. Hence the statement made by Christ, "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no understanding in you."

"But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it." You are right on.

Also consider that the priests ate the sacrifice foreshadowing this teaching.

For the blood, they were forbidden to drink the blood of animals because 'life is in the blood'. We are not to have lives of animals but the life of the living God within us.

He also said the bread and wine of communion was his body and blood. The life of the Christian, the eating of his word, takes place in communion with other Christians.

th1bill
Mar 15th 2008, 02:19 PM
"Are you a serious truth seeker trying to understand difficult passages? or are you rather using difficult passages to try to trip-us-up and get us to admit our Bible is full of things that don't make sense?"

As we know, in truth there is no controversy or contradiction ("God is not the author of confusion"). Truth is that which cannot be contradicted. It is that which I seek and look for. I am a very serious truth seeker with very serious questions about the Christian faith. I happen to know all about the bible but have a different way of looking at it then you might. I would like to get some feedback on that viewpoint from a Christian perspective. I am in no way trying to shame anyone or trip you up or make a mockery of Christianity or be disrespectful.
But you are okay to question my motives for how can you meet me where I'm at if you don't know where I'm coming from...so please allow me to be a bit more forward with myself and my inquisition.

I ask this question of this forum "what is meant by eating Christ's flesh and drinking his blood" because I have a different understanding of what that means. My understanding of what that means follows and I would like to hear others opinions on it:

I would congratulate you and say that you are well on your way to being saved. Keep studying and keep asking questions.

Revinius
Mar 15th 2008, 04:24 PM
I would congratulate you and say that you are well on your way to being saved. Keep studying and keep asking questions.

:hmm: I concur. :)

Frances
Mar 15th 2008, 06:26 PM
...you have no understanding in you. What is meant by eating the flesh of Jesus and drinking his blood?

Jesus Christ is the Bread of Life (John 6:35).
Leviticus 17:11 tells us that the life is in the blood.
So -
His Word (the Holy Bible) is the daily Bread that will nourish us, for we need the (Blood of) Life that flows through it's pages..
So -
We need to continually learn more of God from the whole of the Bible.

ImmenseDisciple
Mar 15th 2008, 08:10 PM
:hmm: I concur. :)
Likewise. I wonder, though - are you reading verses in context? You seem like a pretty smart guy, but many of your confusions seem to come from overlooking the surrounding passages. Certainly, if you can't make sense of something, or something seems odd, 9 times out of 10 the answer is going to be in the verses directly around it.

DanDMan64
Mar 15th 2008, 10:27 PM

Am I making sense so far? Can you follow my train of thought?OK, I do follow your train, I just think it's on the wrong track.:lol:

First off, what version of the Bible are you quoting from here, because even though it sounds familiar, some of the words are different from what I read in my KJV. My passage in John reads as follows. "52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. " I have included verses 52 and 54 because they are a set, a spiritual truth that makes more sense when left together than if you brake it-up.

I believe what He was saying is this. Knowing that he would be sacrificed on a cross in a few days, and that His body would be torn-up by the Roman whips and their cross, and His blood would be spilled, He was explaining the purpose of His sacrifice, which was to become the only sacrifice acceptable to God for the forgiveness of sins "Atonement", and become redeemed from the bondage of sin and made free to restore our fellowship with God and become saved from His punishment from that broken fellowship which is eternal death, "Salvation and eventual glorification". Eating His flesh and drinking His blood is taking in this truth and making it personal, recognizing that His sacrifice truly is the only way, the only truth, and the only way to get eternal life, so if you think "taking in" or eating other flesh or drinking other blood will be good enough, you're wrong.

The last line of verse 53 does not say as you quoted "you have no understanding in you" my KJV says, "you have no life in you." Life and understanding are two different things, that's why I say again, what version are you reading from? The opposite of life is death, so if you have no life in you because you don't partake of His sacrifice as being the only way to become alive to God, then you remain dead.

The opposite of "understanding" is misunderstanding, or not understanding, so perhaps that's why you struggle with the true meaning of the verse, you're looking at the wrong word, thus your train is in the wrong track.

Does that make more sense now?:hmm:

Brother Mark
Mar 16th 2008, 01:34 AM
Jesus said his words were spirit and were life. He was saying that in order to be saved, one must enter into covenant with Christ.

TEITZY
Mar 16th 2008, 12:58 PM
Ps 34:8 Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

1 Pet 2:3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

In both these passages 'tasting' God seems to be a metaphor for faith/trust/belief. I think that is the main thrust of Jesus' hyperbole in John 6. Essentially He is saying, "Believe in me and you will have eternal life". The terms "flesh" and "blood" also point to His atoning sacrifice: a major stumbling block for most Jews who abhor the thought of a suffering, dying Messiah (see 1 Cor 1:23).

The term to "taste" as it is used in the NT is also a very strong association word:

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

Now when it says Jesus tasted "death for everyone", it does not mean He simply had a close shave or a near death experience, it means He literally died. So eating the "flesh" and drinking the "blood" of Christ speaks of a close association, union or identification with Him. It's what born again believers mean when they say they have a 'personal' relationship with Christ. Jesus emphasizes the closeness of this relationship in John 6:56:

He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him.

True faith in Christ is not just believing the truth about who He is and what He has done, but it is also committing ourselves to those truths. Many look upon Christ and desire Him for various reasons, but few partake of His salvation because they still cling to their own self-righteousness (no matter how tenuous it is) rather than abandoning their souls to Christ alone.

If you are seeking forgiveness for your sin then taste and see that the Lord Jesus is "good" and His death on the cross is sufficient to forgive all sin.

Cheers
Leigh

Br. Barnabas
Mar 17th 2008, 08:26 PM
I follow the idea of 'real presence' not to be confussed with the Catholic doctrine of transubstation. The idea of real presence says that Jesus is present in the Eucharist, thus we are eating his flesh and blood in the Eucharist (not that the bread and wine become his flesh [trans. doctrine]). To take part in the Eucharist you have to be Christian you recieve your understanding of Jesus and God from being in the Christian church.

Saved7
Mar 20th 2008, 11:10 AM

While your understanding is correct, it lacks what Deadtoself stated. To live as Christ lived, and through much prayer and reading of the Word, beginning with faith of course, you become more and more like Christ. The desired result is to be more Christ like (christian) by submitting to God and His will for your life and heart. And Christ suffered and gave of Himself continually, He was a living sacrifice and sacrificed on the cross as well.

JesusisGod
Mar 21st 2008, 12:16 PM
Hi oneinsidethezero.
Jesus said whoever eats His flesh and drinks His blood abides in Him...Jn.6:56.

Jesus said if we keep His commands, we will abide in His love. Jn.15:10

To eat His flesh and drink His blood is to live in Him.

Nihil Obstat
Mar 25th 2008, 04:11 AM
What is meant by eating the flesh of Jesus and drinking his blood?

I wrote about this here (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1505600&postcount=6) and then here (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1509659&postcount=17)... enjoy and be blessed! - Lk.11

seamus414
Apr 1st 2008, 02:48 AM
Jesus is referring to the Holy Eucharist. Some call it Holy Communion. Where he gives us his body (wafer) and blood (wine) to spiritually nourish us. Only Christians can participate in Communion.

Catholic4Life
Jul 27th 2008, 02:03 PM
For those of you that don't understand, get a catechism, and look it up there. It will explain everything.

BroRog
Jul 27th 2008, 02:57 PM
It has nothing to do with the Eucharist or communion.

tango
Jul 27th 2008, 03:13 PM
This is an old thread and the OP is no longer with us, so I'm closing it.