PDA

View Full Version : Old Age After Genesis 6:3

MrAnteater
Mar 18th 2008, 12:01 AM
After the flood, Genesis 6:3 tells us that:

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It was my understanding past this point that God had limited human life to 120 years. But after Genesis 6:3 there are instances of people living beyond the 120 year old age stipulated by God. Examples:

Genesis 23:1 Sarah 127 years
Genesis 25:7 Abraham 175 years
Genesis 35:28 Isaac 180 years

There are several others in Genesis. Can someone explain this to me?

TEITZY
Mar 18th 2008, 09:47 AM
I believe the 120 years refers to the time period God gave man to repent before sending the flood.

Cheers
Leigh

Revinius
Mar 20th 2008, 04:39 AM
God extends peoples ages according to his purpose. As a side note i find it interesting that as a consequence of sin and the dying of this world peoples ages have been declining right up until within the last hundred or so years when science has been trying to stabilise and reverse the process.

Die Filadelfieer
Mar 21st 2008, 07:46 PM
After the flood, Genesis 6:3 tells us that:

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It was my understanding past this point that God had limited human life to 120 years. But after Genesis 6:3 there are instances of people living beyond the 120 year old age stipulated by God. Examples:

Genesis 23:1 Sarah 127 years
Genesis 25:7 Abraham 175 years
Genesis 35:28 Isaac 180 years

There are several others in Genesis. Can someone explain this to me?

Hi mrA,
As I understand it, this have nothing to do with the age of men, but rather that this was the time left before the flood. (And coincidently the time it took to finish the ark.)