PDA

View Full Version : the Holy Spirit (NT) vs. the spirit in the OT

bhoup
Mar 22nd 2008, 06:14 AM
Just something that came across my mind....

I am reading Song of Solomon and in chapter 4, verse 16 Solomon says:

"Awake, O north wind,
and come, O south wind!
Blow upon my garden,
let its spices flow." (ESV)

A commentator I referred to says that this could either be referring to Christ or the spirit. The thought then crossed my mind that after Pentacost in the NT, book of Acts, the Holy Spirit is given. Is the Holy Spirit present in the OT? :hmm:

quiet dove
Mar 22nd 2008, 06:26 AM
I did a study of the Holy Spirit, something I need to do more of. This is some of what I have about the Holy Spirit in the OT. This starts with a little about what changed from the OT to the NT(after Pentecost) You can see that is was possible in the OT for the Holy Spirit to depart, something we are promised will not happen to us as believers indwelt by the Spirit.

The Lord Jesus made it clear that something would change as of Pentecost, He spoke of the coming of the Spirit who was already present. Scripture teaches us that the Spirit was at work and that His work would take on a different character after Pentecost
John 15:26 “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who
proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me
John 16:7 … It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment 13 …,when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth;…
The Spirit abides “with” (para) but will in the future abide “in”(en) us
John 14:17 the Spirit of truth,

vMinistry of Holy Spirit with people in the OT
He was in certain ones, (the preposition “beth” in used meaning “in”)
Genesis 41:38 And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of
God
Numbers 27:18 And the LORD said to Moses:”Take Joshua the son of Num with you, a man in whom is the
Spirit, and lay your hand on him;
Daniel 4:8 But at last Daniel came before me (his name is Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god; in
him is the Spirit of the Holy God),…
Daniel 5:11There is a man in your kingdomg in whom is the Spirit of the Holy God. …12…excellent spirit, knowledge, understanding, interpreting dreams, solving riddles and explaining enigmas were found in the Daniel,…14 I have heard of you, that the Spirit of God is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisom are found in you.

He came upon some (the preposition used in these in “al”)

Numbers 24:2 And Balaam raised his eyes, and saw Israel encamped according to their tribes; and the Spirit
of God came upon him
Judges 6:34 But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon; …
Judges 11:29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah…
Judges 13:25 And the Spirit of the LORD began to move upon him (Samson)…
Judges 14:6 And the Spirit of the LORD came mightily upon him (Samson)…
1 Samuel 10:10 When they cam there to the hill, there was a group of prophets to meet him; then the Spirit
of of God cam upon him, and he prophesied among them
1 Samuel 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anounted him in the midst of his brothers; and the
Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day foreward. …
Exodus 31:3 (Bezalel-building the temple) And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 to design artistic works, …
Exodus 35:31 (Bezalel-building the temple)

His work was primarily with Israel after God chose them for His people and He was guiding to the nation
Nehemaiah 9:20
Isaiah 63:10 But they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit; So He turned Himself against them as an enemy,
And He fought against them. 11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people, saying “Where is He who brought them up out of the sea With the shepherd of His flock? Where is He who put His Holy Spirit within them, …14 As a beast goes down into the valley, And the Spirit of the LORD causes him to rest, So You lead Your people, To make Yourself a glorious name.

No guarentee that Holy Spirit would abide forever with/within people during the OT
1 Samuel 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the LORD troubled him.

Indwelling – Anointing
Anointing in the OT was a very serious matter, it made a person or thing holy
Exodus 40:9-15
Anointing was associated with the Holy Spirit and equipping the person or thing for service
1 Samuel 10:1
Zechariah 4:1-14

valleybldr
Mar 22nd 2008, 11:07 AM
Is the Holy Spirit present in the OT? :hmm:
It is all through the Tenach ("Old Testament").

It's mentioned in the second verse. Gen 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." The "ruach Yahweh" (Spirit of the Lord) in the source of all that is alive. The Spirit of God is the active principle that proceeds from God and gives life to the physical world (Gen. 2:7). It facilitates God's religious objectives, raising up leaders, whether judges, prophets, or kings. The ruach Yahweh (Spirit of God) is the creative facilitating action of the one true God.

Psa 139:7 "where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?" The Spirit of God is a synonym for God's personal presence with us. (see also Job 26:4, 27:3-4, 2 Sam.23:2, Prov.1:230). Isa 40:7 "The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. 8. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."

BTW, "The Unvarnished New Testament" by Guas uses "breath" instead of spirit. Alter (in the Tenach) and other scholars prefer this rendering as well.

It's a great study but like all such studies you would be better off letting the Word speak for itself.

todd

TEITZY
Mar 22nd 2008, 12:46 PM
Here's (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=36404) an old thread that might be helpful.

Cheers
Leigh