PDA

View Full Version : 1 Chronicles 11

bhoup
Mar 28th 2008, 03:49 AM
Here's something I'm unclear about...

In 1 Chronicles 11:22 Benaiah, one of King David's mighty men, struck down two heros from Moab. Then in verse 46 Ithmah the Moabite is said to actually be one of his mighty men.

Why the difference in loyalty?

Teke
Mar 28th 2008, 01:46 PM
Here's something I'm unclear about...

In 1 Chronicles 11:22 Benaiah, one of King David's mighty men, struck down two heros from Moab. Then in verse 46 Ithmah the Moabite is said to actually be one of his mighty men.

Why the difference in loyalty?

King David has been anointed, the people are choosing a better way. The portrayal is an event foreshadowing the establishment of the Church (cp. Mt Zion).

In 2 Sam. 23 these mighty men are introduced at the end of reign, in 1 Chron. they are written of in the beginning of the reign. Both positions full of instruction. 1,2 Samuel is chronological, and Chronicles is moral. I did a thread here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=11612&highlight=Adullam) some time back of these scriptures in this area.

See Psalm 18:43,44 to contemplate the whole of what is depicted.
1 Chron. 11:15-19 David represents all mankind. The powers of darkness, represented by the Philistines, hold the world captive. Davids's longing is like the thirsty soul that cries out for God. As always, water symbolizes baptism from death into life through the "living water", that is, the Holy Spirit whom Christ sends (John 7:37-39)