PDA

View Full Version : NIC Bible Study: Acts Week One

Tanya~
Mar 31st 2008, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the New in Christ study in the book of Acts! We’re just getting started so now would be a great time to join us if you are interested in growing along with us. For more information about the study, please read the Study Notes (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=103784) sticky. Believers at all levels of Bible knowledge are wanted and welcome! New believers who have little or no Bible knowledge will learn a lot, and those who have been Christians for a longer time will also be welcome as an example and for the encouragement of others, as well as for your own benefit. It really doesn’t matter how much you already know of Scripture, we always learn something new when we study His word together!

This is an easy, but also in-depth study of Acts. The questions themselves will be easy because the answers are straight out of the Bible verses, but we’re going to go slowly and try not to skip over anything. By the time we are finished, we should all have a much better understanding of the early history of the church as recorded in Acts. I pray that the Lord will open our understanding so that we can know the ways of God as He works in and through the body of Christ, the church.

Let’s Get Started! If you haven’t already, please read the study notes (use link above) for information on how we do this study. Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Acts 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-3;&version=50;)

The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
NKJV
~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

a. From this verse and Luke 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%201:1-3;&version=50;), note everything you can discover about the author and the recipient of this account.
b. What else can you learn about the author from Col 4:14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%204:14;&version=50;)?
c. What kind of information did the author cover in this former account?

a. Where did that former account leave off? (Also see Luke 24:50-51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-51;&version=50;))

2-3.
a. What did Jesus do between the time He suffered and the time He was taken up?
b. How many days was Jesus with His disciples after His suffering was over?
c. Specifically, about what things did He speak to them?
d. What do we learn here about the proof of Jesus’ resurrection?
e. Why is this important?

Now read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

RoadWarrior
Mar 31st 2008, 04:48 PM
Hi Tanya, thanks for doing this study!

a. From this verse and Luke 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%201:1-3;&version=50;), note everything you can discover about the author and the recipient of this account.

The author does not give his own name, but addresses his writings to Theophilus. He says that he had perfect understanding of the events that have transpired, that other people have written their version, and he wants to write his own, in an orderly way.

b. What else can you learn about the author from Col 4:14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%204:14;&version=50;)?

Luke is called "the beloved physician"

He told of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.

a. Where did that former account leave off?

The former account, called the gospel of Luke ends with Jesus ascending to heaven.

Lk 24:50-53

50 And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. 51 Now it came to pass, while He blessed them, that He was parted from them and carried up into heaven. 52 And they worshiped Him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53 and were continually in the temple praising and blessing God. Amen.
NKJV

2-3.

He presented Himself alive to the apostles, presenting many infallible proofs, and being seen by them for 40 days before He was taken up.

40 days

He spoke of things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

Jesus provided proof to the disciples. They saw him over a period of 40 days.

The disciples had gone back to their former lives, fishing or whatever, and if Jesus had not come back to them, they would have gone on doing so. It would have been just a story to them, a strange interlude in their lives. But having the proof of His resurrection, changed their lives completely.

grptinHisHand
Mar 31st 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi, Tanya, I am excited about this study. Thanks for the invite to join! I am interested in seeing the members of the Church of today live as did the first church - as in having that kind of passion for the Lord's work.

1. a. The author is writing for the purpose of having a document of all that Jesus 'began to do and teach' The receiver was Theophilus.
b. Author is Luke, a beloved physician.
c. He covered Jesus' life, actions, and teachings. (see my answer on a.)

2. a. The time of Jesus' ascension, 'after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen'.

2-3 a. gave commandments, presented Himself alive by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during
b. Forty days he was with them between His suffering and His ascension.
c. He spoke of things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
d. Many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
e. This is important because it is what the apostles based their faith on, and part of what we base our faith on as well.

Sorry if it seems that I keep repeating myself. But I am not sure how you want the answers (straight from text or put into my words - so I did some of both.)

tango
Mar 31st 2008, 07:56 PM
Luke, the author of the book of Acts as well as the book of Luke, was writing to Theophilus. He uses the title "most excellent", a formal title of respect. Luke was a physician, and was possibly a former slave of Theophilus. The former account (the book of Luke) was a record of all the things Jesus did and taught until he was taken up into heaven, after he had given his final commandments to the disciples.

Between his suffering and ascension Jesus showed himself to many people - Luke refers to "infallible proofs", presumably talking about being seen by enough people to ensure that the sightings could not be attributed to the delusions of someone subject to either extreme wishful thinking or too much wine. He spent 40 days with the disciples, being seen by many people and talking about things relating to the kingdom of God.

This is important because the resurrection of Jesus is one of the fundamental bedrocks of the Christian faith. If there were any credibility in the allegation that the resurrection had never happened and the only people who claimed to have seen Jesus were drunk and/or delusional then the entire foundation of the faith would have been unstable. By making sure many people saw him alive after the crucifixion, Jesus could ensure that the events would not be dismissed out of hand.

Tanya~
Mar 31st 2008, 08:27 PM
Welcome g! I'm so glad you have joined with us. :)

Sorry if it seems that I keep repeating myself. But I am not sure how you want the answers (straight from text or put into my words - so I did some of both.)

You did great! The idea is to get the answers from the text, and then let that work in your heart. By putting it in your own words, it shows that you have gotten an understanding and this can now begin to work application in your life. After answering the questions, you go away from it and some of the things might come to mind, giving you more to think about. This is how it works its way into your life. Over time the word of God will gradually transform your thinking. This is a process and it doesn't come out the moment you answer the questions, necessarily.

I like to use the analogy of eating a meal. You sit down and have dinner, and it tastes great when you eat it, and you aren't hungry any more, but satisfied until the next meal. But the real nourishment comes when your body processes that food over a period of time, and the nutrients are incorporated into your cells. :) Our daily time studying God's word is like eating our daily bread.

I hope you get a lot out of this study, and I will keep you in prayer along with the rest of us. I hope you will pray for this study and for all of us participants as well!

:)

grptinHisHand
Mar 31st 2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, I see. I like the way Tango answered. I look forward to learning a lot in this study.
g

tango
Mar 31st 2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, I see. I like the way Tango answered. I look forward to learning a lot in this study.
g

Hi grpt, I prefer to answer Tanya's questions using blocks of narrative, simply because it forces me to read deeper into the text. I find that if I simply answer each question as it stands I tend to slip into giving short answers, which leads me into taking shortcuts and not getting much out of the study. (Sometimes getting a short answer from me is a blessing :lol:)

The thing to do is answer however you feel comfortable. I prefer blocks of text, others prefer question-answer pairs. What we all learn from the study is more important than how we present our answers :)

menJesus
Mar 31st 2008, 08:48 PM
Here I am - this is a great study, and a most interesting book! Just sittin` in here... ;)

Tanya~
Mar 31st 2008, 09:19 PM
Tango also brings in additional information from his studies, which is encouraged. :) If you can cite your sources for the information, even better!

Re: Tango's comments, I found it interesting that nothing is known about Theophilus, other than his name and the suggestion of rank in Luke's address as "most excellent." But he really does have a cool name with a wonderful meaning! Don't forget to read the summary page at my blog. The link is in my signature and also on the questions page. If anyone has suggestions on how to make it more obvious so it doesn't get overlooked. let me know.

Everybody got the point about the importance of Jesus' resurrection. G. highlighted the word Many, in regard to the infallible proofs of Jesus' resurrection; RW points out that if it weren't for Jesus' resurrection and *proof* of it, the whole thing would just be a story; and Tango refers to it as one of the fundamental bedrocks of the Christian faith. Paul the apostle might even say it is THE fundamental bedrock of the Christian faith, because without the resurrection, the rest of it collapses.

1 Cor 15:3-8

3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.
NKJV

He goes on to say this about the importance of the RISEN Christ:

1 Cor 15:12-19
Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up — if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
NKJV

I'm glad you're all here!

Tango, are we going to see Phroggie? :)

Phroggie
Mar 31st 2008, 09:34 PM
The author of the book of Acts, we learn, is Luke. This is his '2nd book', the first being the Gospel of Luke which was his account of the life and teachings of Jesus during His time on earth.

As for the recipient, I really wracked my brain here thinking 'Who on earth is Theophilus?' My study notes helped me out with this one. I'd like to share what I found:

"Theophilus means "one who loves God." The book of Acts, also written by Luke, is likewise addressed to Theophilus. This preface may be a general dedication to all Christian readers. Theophilus may have been Luke's patron, who helped to finance the book's writing. More likely, Theophilus was a Roman acquaintance of Luke's with a strong interest in the new Christian religion." (NLT Study Bible)

b. In Col 4:14 we learn that Luke was a doctor by profession.

2. The former account (Luke's Gospel) leaves off with Jesus' ascension in to heaven.

2-3.
a. In the time between his suffering and ascension in to heaven, Jesus
showed himself to the chosen apostles, giving them many convincing proofs that he was (IS!) alive.

b & c. Jesus spent 40 days with the disciples after his suffering was over, talking to them about the kingdom of God.

d. What do we learn about the proof of Jesus' resurrection?

e. Why is this importantRoadWarrior, I found your answers to these questions very helpful. Thank you!

Jesus provided proof to the disciples. They saw him over a period of 40 days.

The disciples had gone back to their former lives, fishing or whatever, and if Jesus had not come back to them, they would have gone on doing so. It would have been just a story to them, a strange interlude in their lives. But having the proof of His resurrection, changed their lives completely.

Tanya, thanks for starting another study, I've missed our daily group discussions!

Phroggie
Mar 31st 2008, 09:37 PM
Tango, are we going to see Phroggie? :)

I'm here, I'm here!!!!:lol:

RoadWarrior
Mar 31st 2008, 11:44 PM
Now read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

Thanks Tanya! It is good to read your thoughts, after we have done our own study.
:hug:

Tanya~
Apr 1st 2008, 05:47 AM
Acts 1:4-8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4-8;&version=50;)

And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me; 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." 6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" 7 And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
NKJV

* Questions marked with an asterisk are optional for extra study.

a. Who was gathered together? (Review Acts 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-3;&version=50;))
b. What did Jesus command His apostles (2 things)?
c. Whose Promise does Jesus speak about here?

a. Jesus alludes to a comment made by John the Baptist. What did John say about this promise? (See John 1:29-34 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%201:29-34;&version=50;))
b. When would this promise be fulfilled for them?

6. What did the disciples want to know?
* Why do you think they asked this question? (Compare. Acts 1:3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:3;&version=50;))

7. How did Jesus respond to this question?

a. What prediction did Jesus make about the things that would happen to them?
b. What is the purpose of the power of the Holy Spirit?
c. Where would this take place?

grptinHisHand
Apr 1st 2008, 01:23 PM
:) I enjoyed this second lesson, as I felt I better understand the way to handle the questions. ;)
a. The apostles, whom Jesus had chosen and called, were gathered together.
b. Jesus commanded His people not to depart, to wait for the Promise He, Jesus, had given to them
(c.) from God the Father.
a. The mentioned promise John had made was that Jesus, Who would come after him, would baptize them with the Spirit. In this passage Luke records Jesus saying that the day was near for this Holy Spirit baptism to take place.
b. This promise was to be fulfilled soon – within a matter of days.
6. The disciples wanted to know if the ‘kingdom of Israel’ would be restored at the time of the baptism with the Holy Spirit.
* During His forty days with them He spoke of things concerning the Kingdom. I think they still expected to see an earthly kingdom - that they still couldn’t imagine what we now know and understand (somewhat) that the Kingdom is His rule in our hearts.
7. Jesus responded that it wasn’t for them to know the dates because God had set them. He understood that they were talking about His “ruling” them like He will when He returns. He said that what they were to be concerned about was their spreading word about Him to everyone.

8. a. Jesus predicted that when the Holy Spirit came upon them they would be filled with power and would tell all people about Him - there in their hometown, their region and all over the world.
b. The purpose of the coming of the Holy Spirit as revealed in these verses is to give His followers power to do God’s will in spreading the good news of Jesus, Who He is.
c. This sharing of the message of Him was to take place everywhere, to the ends of the earth.
Who, what when where how:
Who - Jesus and his followers
what - Jesus conversation, His instructions, His promise
when -during the near the end of the 40 days He was present with them following His resurrection
where - Jerusalem
how - they were to receive power by the coming of the Holy Spirit, Who God would send

RoadWarrior
Apr 1st 2008, 03:08 PM
4. a. Who was gathered together? (Review Acts 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-3;&version=50;))

Jesus and the disciples.

Don't leave Jerusalem.
Wait for the Promise of the Father.

The Father - God.

a. Jesus alludes to a comment made by John the Baptist. What did John say about this promise? (See John 1:29-34 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%201:29-34;&version=50;))

John had said that he baptized with water, but that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit.

"not many days from now" - from the time when Jesus would leave them.

* Why do you think they asked this question? (Compare. Acts 1:3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:3;&version=50;))

The disciples are still wondering when Jesus will restore the kingdom to Israel - in other words, to kick out the Romans. He had been talking about the kingdom of God for 40 days, and they might have begun to understand it, but they still find it mysterious. Like many of us, when we want something, we want it now. We don't like having to wait to get what we really want.

Jesus tells them that the timing of events is not an important thing for them to know.

He promises that they will receive power when the Holy Spirit would come upon them.

They they will be witnesses for Jesus.

This will be done in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

Phroggie
Apr 1st 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi All!

Just to let you know tango and I are out at a church function this evening and, depending on what time we get back, might not post until tomorrow.

Tanya~
Apr 1st 2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks for letting us know Jen! :hug:

Tanya~
Apr 1st 2008, 08:08 PM
Hi g,

:) I enjoyed this second lesson, as I felt I better understand the way to handle the questions. ;)

:) I'm glad, and I do hope that as you get the hang of it you will enjoy it more and more! I like how you added the "5 W's and an H" at the end, and did a quick summary of the passage. Great idea!

tango
Apr 1st 2008, 10:04 PM
Jesus and the apostles were gathered together. He told them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of God, as they had heard from Jesus. Some versions refer to the gift [he] told them about, which gives a more direct sense of what is coming rather than a "promise" which is possibly a little vague to them.

Interestingly the word for the gathering suggests a passive gathering rather like a historic dinner party. Barnes notes talk of an active gathering - where the disciples were scattered following the crucifixion ("I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered" - Zec 13:7), it seems quite likely that Jesus had taken the active step of rounding them all up again.

John the Baptist baptized people with water, but referred to a man who was coming who would baptize people with the Holy Spirit. This person would be known because the Spirit would be seen descending and remaining on him. When Jesus was baptized the Spirit descended like a dove (Mark 1:10-11). This baptism in the Spirit was coming soon - "not many days from now" according to the NKJV (The Message simply says "and soon")

The disciples wanted to know if the kingdom would be restored to Israel. They still seemed to think of God's kingdom as an earthly concept, and references to "power" to refer to political power rather than divine power. As we covered in the study of Mark, the Jewish people were (and still are) waiting for the promised Messiah, although they expected him to be a king in the earthly royal sense. They didn't expect a simple carpenter.

As Jesus described things relating to God's kingdom the disciples would likely have been thinking in terms of an earthly kingdom again. There are few things more ingrained than a preconceived idea, and the disciples were just like many of us in that once the idea was in their head they constantly sought to validate it.

Barnes speculates that the disciples may even have been thinking of a fulfilment of the prophecy in Daniel 7:27:

Dan 7:27 Then the kingdom and dominion, And the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven, Shall be given to the people, the saints of the Most High. His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, And all dominions shall serve and obey Him.'

Jesus told them that it wasn't for them to know times or seasons for these things. This tallies with what he told them about the signs of the end, that only God knew the precise day and hour (Mar 13:32).

Jesus did tell them that they would receive power when the Holy Spirit had come upon them, and that they would be witnesses to him in Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. The Spirit would empower them to go out and witness in a way they would never have achieved without divine assistance. This power is also a parallel with the promise of Jesus in Mark 16:17 where he said that believers would cast out demons, heal, speak in new tongues, handle serpents and not come to any harm.

Perhaps then the disciples started to realise that Jesus wasn't talking about an earthly kingdom after all!

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Tango, :)

Some versions refer to the gift [he] told them about, which gives a more direct sense of what is coming rather than a "promise" which is possibly a little vague to them.

I noticed this too, in the NIV.

Acts 1:4
"Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised,
NIV

Checking the Greek, it's clear that "gift" isn't there, but "promise" is. I think the NIV editors wanted the reader to recognize the connection between this passage and what is to come in the next chapter, when Peter preaches and tells the people that they too, will receive "the gift of the Holy Spirit," and that "this promise is to you, and to your children..."

There are few things more ingrained than a preconceived idea,:lol: I love how you put that. It's so true! This is the whole point of studying Scripture for ourselves, isn't it! We hope to sweep away the preconceived ideas we all hold (and those we borrow from others as well!), and build our beliefs on the pure, unadulterated word of God. Hopefully!

Recently, I read an essay on a Jewish site about what that group expects in the coming Messiah. As it was back in Jesus' day, so it is today, that they have some difficulty reconciling the two distinct ways that Messiah is presented in Scripture. Of course by having two advents, the problem is resolved easily. He comes as the Suffering Servant in His first advent, and as the Conquering King in the second. The last couple of thousand years have been for the purpose of building up His body in preparation for His 2nd coming, which will be more glorious than could possibly be imagined.

There will be more on this in the next lesson. Stay tuned! :)

Thanks for sharing your comments Tango.

philz1982
Apr 2nd 2008, 12:57 AM
* Questions marked with an asterisk are optional for extra study.

a. Who was gathered together? (Review Acts 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-3;&version=50;))
The disciples

Not to leave until the holy spirit came, and to spread the gospel.

The holy spirit gift.

John said that since the holy spirit descended on Jesus during his baptisim that he would be the one to baptize with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said, in a few days after the meeting. I believe it happened on the pentacost.

When christ would free them from Roman oppresion and return to setup his kingdom.

Because they were new believers in a world that persecuted those that were Christians. So when they heard about a kingdom of peace with Christ they naturally wanted to know when.

He said only the father knows the timetables of all things.

They would recieve the holy spirit and witness to the world.

To build a bridge between man and God so that man can become more like Christ.

In Jerusalem.

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 01:13 AM
Hi Philz, Welcome to our study group!

It's great to have a newer member to join us. I hope you find plenty of encouragement while you study the word of God with us. :) If you haven't already, don't forget to read the comments on the study (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/) after you finish the questions, because they will help you understand the passage better and enhance your learning.

Good job answering all the questions! You said this:

Jesus said, in a few days after the meeting. I believe it happened on the pentacost.That is exactly right, and we will see that when we get to chapter 2. Thanks for joining with us. :)

ChristianKnight
Apr 2nd 2008, 04:43 AM
Tanya, I know I signed up for this, but yall do it different than I do it on my own, liek I read it, and make notes, and I get kinda confused. I think I am just gonna keep going with my notes, and once I get done might join in to learn more with people.

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 04:45 AM
That's perfectly fine CK, I understand :):hug: I like what I saw you doing as you went through Proverbs... keep that up and you'll do great.

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 05:57 AM
Acts 1:9-14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:9-14;&version=50;)

Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey. 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
NKJV

~~ Questions marked with an *asterisk are optional or for extra study ~~

9. Describe how Jesus ascended into heaven.

10-11.
a. What did the disciples do as Jesus ascended?
b. Who stood next to them? *Who do you think they were, and why?
c. What question do they ask the disciples?
d. What do they tell them about the manner of Jesus’ return?
e. *Why is this an important detail? (See Mark 13:21-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2013:21-27;&version=50;))

a. Where did these events take place? (Also see Luke 24:50-51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-51;&version=50;))
b. Where did the disciples go after this, and why? (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:49;%20Acts%201:4;&version=50;))
c. What do we learn here about the distance between these two places?

a. Describe the place where they were staying.
b. Compare this place with Mark 14:13-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:13-15;&version=50;). What similarities do you see between the place where they are staying now, and the place they ate the Last Supper with Jesus?
c. *Do you believe it is possible this could be the same house? Why or why not?

13-14.
a. List the names of the people mentioned here who were in attendance.
b. What were they doing there?

grptinHisHand
Apr 2nd 2008, 01:33 PM

He went up and a cloud received Him. Makes me think of the way God was in the pillar of cloud that watched over and led the children of Israel during their pilgrimage to the Promised Land. (Ex. 13)

10-11.
They watched steadfastly, (immovable, firm in belief, determination... - Websters)
b. Who stood next to them?
Two men in white clothing.
*Who do you think they were, and why?
I believe them to have been angels, but I don't know. Help us find that answer. The rest of our study group may know.

Why are you gazing still into heaven? He is coming back.

In the same manner as He was taken up so He would return.

e. *Why is this an important detail? (See Mark 13:21-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2013:21-27;&version=50;))
It will help them to be able to identify those who claim to be the Christ, but are not, since they will not appear the way these men said.

a. Where did these events take place? (Also see Luke 24:50-51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-51;&version=50;))
The Mount of Olivet, east of Jerusalem.(Wikipedia)
b. Where did the disciples go after this, and why? (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:49;%20Acts%201:4;&version=50;))
to Jerusalem, Jesus had told them to wait there "for the promise of the Father

It was a "sabbath day's journey. (However long that is, I wasn't able to find this info.)

the upper room, apparently large enough to hold the twelve the women who followed Jesus, and Jesus' brothers. Perhaps there were others who also wanted to wait with them?

b. Compare this place with Mark 14:13-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:13-15;&version=50;). What similarities do you see between the place where they are staying now, and the place they ate the Last Supper with Jesus?
Both places are called the upper room, and were probably the same. (These verses indicate the room was large.)

c. *Do you believe it is possible this could be the same house? Why or why not? I believe it could, because it is a specific home where Jesus sent them, and the owner seemed so willing and ready to let them use the room for the passover meal. I believe he wanted them to come to him anytime they needed the room because he was led that way.

13-14.
Peter, James, John, Andrew, Philip Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James. Also Mary the mother of Jesus, the women and with His brothers.

They were obeying Jesus' command: waiting for the promise to be fulfilled and praying, with supplication. Webster indicates this is "asking earnestly and humbly".
who: Jesus, the disciples, women, Mary His mother, His brothers, and others who believed, also the 'men' in white
what: ascension, enlightenment, instruction, humble obedience, faith
when: at the end of the 40 days and the first few days following that
where: Mt of Olivet, upper room in Jerusalem.
why: love for Christ, belief He would send the Holy Spirit as promised,
how: obediently

Thank you, Tanya. Good study. Causing me to look more deeply into a story I have 'known' for a long time.
g

grptinHisHand
Apr 2nd 2008, 01:39 PM
I have gone into the Online Bible Study page and enjoyed the things you teach there, the points you bring out about prophesy, the location being significant....
g

tango
Apr 2nd 2008, 01:53 PM
Jesus was taken up and a cloud received him. The cloud representing God's glory is a recurring theme through the Bible - when Jesus was baptised the sky opened and the Spirit descended (Mat 3:16, Mar 1:10, Luk 3:21 etc). Old Testament prophets also described visions of God beginning with approaching clouds (it's Ezekiel again, folks! - Eze 1:4), although here the picture seems to be one of Jesus rising into a stationary cloud rather than a storm cloud belching fire.

The cloud is also very similar to the cloud that came down when Jesus was seen with Moses and Elijah (Mat 17:4-5).

Reading Barnes notes it mentions how the disciples did not see Jesus rise from the dead - they saw him after the process was complete. Seeing the evidence that he had risen (i.e. past tense) was all that was required - they didn't need to see him as he rose (i.e. present tense). Here he was taken up into heaven so the disciples couldn't see the end result, hence it was necessary for them to see the process taking place before their eyes. So the process took place while they watched (some versions say they "looked steadfastly", others refer to looking "intently" or "gazing") - either way it's clear they were actively watching rather than simply being in the general area.

Watching Jesus rise also gave the disciples the key fact that he had finished his work on earth and that it was for them to continue his work, empowered by the Holy Spirit which was promised.

As the disciples watched Jesus rising two men stood beside them in white clothing. These were almost certainly angels, possibly one of them was the same angel who told Mary that Jesus was no longer dead (Mat 28:2-3)

They asked the disciples why they were gazing to heaven and told the disciples that Jesus, who had just been taken from them, would return in the same manner. This is an important detail because of the warning of Jesus that there would be many false prophets, and many who would claim to be the Christ come again. Yet they would not appear from the sky in person the same way Jesus would. This is also indicated in Rev 19 where John describes how he saw the heaven open (Rev 19:11-14)

All this took place on Mount Olivet, which is near Jerusalem. Luke's gospel refers to Bethany, and it was a Sabbath day's journey. My study notes say the mountain was just outside the city, about 3/4 mile away to the east.

When the disciples returned they went into the upper room where they had been staying. The upper room described in Mark's gospel was where they ate the last supper, whereas this text suggests the upper room was where they were staying. The original KJV uses the rather mangled phrase "where abode" followed by a list of the disciples - the Greek (καταμένω / katamenō) suggests a place where they lived rather than where they simply gathered once in a while.

The Greek for the upper room here is (ὑπερῷον / huperōon) which suggests a room on the third floor of a building, while the Greek for the upper room references by Mark is (ἀνώγεον / anōgēon) which suggests a room on the second floor of a building. So on that basis alone the two rooms were probably not the same.

The people present were Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. Basically the 12 original disciples, minus Judas Iscariot. They continued in prayer, and were all in one accord with Mary and the women, and with the brothers of Jesus.

This notion of being in one accord is interesting - the Greek (ὁμοθυμαδόν / homothumadon) describes being unanimous, having a single mind and purpose. My study notes comment that in every one of its occurrences homothumadon shows a harmony leading to action. Here the harmony was to continue to pray for the promise of the Holy Spirit, and presumably the agreement that they would obey Jesus' instruction to wait for it before going out.

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 04:08 PM
Hi g and Tango,

:) I'm glad to be able to get the lessons posted at night, so that you who are further east can get them when it is convenient to you, whether that be early or late in your own time zone. I can see that g is an 'early' person. :) You both did well and there were a few things that prompt me to reply:

It was a "sabbath day's journey. (However long that is, I wasn't able to find this info.)

A 'Sabbath day's journey' is a Rabbinical term that indicates a distance that would be allowed to be traveled on a Sabbath day. The Rabbis determined that beyond a certain distance, a person would be considered "working" which would break the law of the Sabbath. The distance between Bethany to Jerusalem was a Sabbath day's journey, so a person could go from one city to the other without breaking the law.

The cloud representing God's glory is a recurring theme through the Bible

I really enjoyed how you pulled these together and related them to Jesus' ascension, and I know how much fun you probably had searching these things out. :)

Thanks for pointing out that the Greek word for this location is different than what was used at the Last Supper. On the surface it might seem like the same place, but on the other hand, there would be many such rooms all over the place. Good work Tango. :) It shows that we can't make assumptions about things based on superficial similarities.

With regard to the upper room, we can be sure that the disciples didn't actually live there, because it was in Jerusalem, whereas they were all Galileans. Jesus had been with them in Galilee, but then He told them to return to Jerusalem to wait there for the fulfillment of the Promise. It was a temporary residence, where they would stay for the duration of their time there. There would be many places for lodging in and around Jerusalem because of the law that required 3 annual pilgrimages to the city (See Deut 16:16). They were less than 10 days away from the Feast of Weeks (another name for Pentecost), and the lodging-places would already be filling up. It's possible that some had secondary residences in the city so that they wouldn't have to find a place to stay every time, and maybe one of the richer apostles like Matthew could own such a place, but we don't know about that with any certainty one way or the other.

Looking at this more closely with regard to this, something interesting comes out. It's clearer in Young's Literal Translation:

Acts 1:13-14
and when they came in, they went up to the upper room, where were abiding both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James, of Alphaeus, and Simon the Zelotes, and Judas, of James;

14 these all were continuing with one accord in prayer and supplication, with women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
YLT

From this more literal reading it would appear that all 11 apostles were staying there together. These were all praying together, and we see that the women and Jesus' family were with them. It seems these mentioned in verse 14 were not staying at this location, but that they were with them at this time.

Those of us who studied Mark may remember that Peter had a fishing business in Capernaum and lived there with his family including his wife and brother Andrew (Mark 1:29-30). James and John were in partnership in Peter's business (Luke 5:5-10), along with their father Zebedee. It would seem natural that they would combine resources and rent a large place where they could all stay for the feast.

RoadWarrior
Apr 2nd 2008, 04:55 PM
9. Jesus was taken up into heaven and a cloud received him - this seems to say a little bit more than just that he disappeared into the clouds. The disciples were watching it all happen.

10-11.
a. The disciples continued to gaze steadfastly. No doubt their mouths were hanging open in astonishment. They have seen miracle after miracle, and each one has been more astounding than the previous ones, now this one must be beyond awesome to them.

b. Two men in white stood near. They were most likely angels, perhaps even the same two angels that Mary had seen in the tomb after Jesus had risen. (John 20:12)

c. The two ask the disciples why they are gazing into heaven.
d. Jesus will return, they say, in the same way that He has gone into heaven.
e. This is important because all the false christs in the world cannot duplicate this - they cannot be seen arriving from heaven. (This is a GREAT point, Tanya.)

a. These events have taken place on Mount Olivet, at Bethany.

b. The disciples go back to Jerusalem, as Jesus had told them to "tarry" there.
c. It is a Sabbath day's journey, meaning it was OK to travel that distance on a Sabbath without it being work. It would have been a nice, gentle walk between the two.

a. In Jerusalem, they went into an "upper room" - perhaps an inn. Generally the buildings were designed to accomodate animals on the ground floor, and people above.
b. The description of this room and the one where they ate the last supper are very similar in construction. The only differences would be in the way the room was furnished, for eating or for sleeping. It could even be that the rooms were easily changed from eating space to sleeping space.
(I observed such rooms in Central Asia. During the day, the sleeping mats are rolled up and stashed inside wooden cabinets. The carpet is spread out for sitting, visiting, and eating. Guests sit crosslegged on the carpet around a tablecloth. Alternately, the diners could recline on the carpet if the room were large enough.)

c. I do believe it could have been the same house. See my answer to b.
13-14.
a. These are the people who were here:
The eleven disciples:
Peter, James, John, and Andrew;
Philip and Thomas;
Bartholomew and Matthew;
James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and
Judas the son of James.
Also present:
Mary the mother of Jesus
Some other women
The brothers of Jesus.
b. They were all praying and calling on God, with the same prayers and in complete agreement with each other. We are not told what that prayer was, but I might conjecture that it was for the Kingdom of Heaven to come soon. (Much like what many of us pray now.)

Tanya~
Apr 2nd 2008, 06:19 PM
Hi RW,

Your comments about the disciples watching Jesus go up and the angels... I don't know why, but I find it sort of comical. Like you, I imagine them standing there with their mouths hanging open, watching intently just as any of us would do given the same circumstances. Then the angels appear and start talking to them, which would distract them from what they're watching. After the angels finish, I picture them looking back up to the sky and seeing nothing but sky -- Jesus is gone.

a. In Jerusalem, they went into an "upper room" - perhaps an inn. Generally the buildings were designed to accomodate animals on the ground floor, and people above.

That's a good point. As people would travel to Jerusalem from the farther areas of Israel, like Galilee, many would ride on donkeys rather than go on foot. Then they would need a place to house the animal as well as themselves.

(I observed such rooms in Central Asia. During the day, the sleeping mats are rolled up and stashed inside wooden cabinets. The carpet is spread out for sitting, visiting, and eating. Guests sit crosslegged on the carpet around a tablecloth. Alternately, the diners could recline on the carpet if the room were large enough.)

The scene in Jerusalem would probably be much more like what you saw in Uzbekistan and Turkey than what we know in our own homes. Thanks for sharing that bit.

c. I do believe it could have been the same house.

It would be kind of neat if it was, wouldn't it? But following Tango's cue, I looked up the two different words translated "upper room"

Mark 14:15
NT:508
anagaion or anogeon NT:508, "an upper room" (ana, "above," ge, "ground"), occurs in Mark 14:15; Luke 22:12, "a chamber," often over a porch, or connected with the roof, where meals were taken and privacy obtained.
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

Acts 1:13
NT:508
huperoon NT:5253, the neuter of the adjective huperoos, "upper" (from huper, "above"), used as a noun, denoted in classical Greek "an upper story" or "room" where the women resided; in the Sept. and the NT, "an upper chamber, a roof-chamber," built on the flat "roof" of the house, Acts 1:13, RV, "upper chamber" (KJV "upper room"); see CHAMBER, No. 2
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

It does seem that the different words denote two different types of rooms.

Thank you for your post, I really do appreciate your participation, and everyone else's too! I also want all of you to know that I pray daily for each one of you. When we stay in contact like this, it helps me remember to pray for you. :) I hope you will remember to pray for me too. :hug:

grptinHisHand
Apr 2nd 2008, 06:24 PM
TanyaP,
Praying for you now. And I do early each morning, for all your family.
May God continue to use you here in the Bible study forum and bless you and all your household.
g

tango
Apr 2nd 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi g and Tango,

:) I'm glad to be able to get the lessons posted at night, so that you who are further east can get them when it is convenient to you, whether that be early or late in your own time zone. I can see that g is an 'early' person.

It's normally later in my time zone, I was working from home today so fit in the study around my other work. It makes a nice change not to spend two hours on the trains.

menJesus
Apr 2nd 2008, 11:10 PM
Here I am... loving it all... :)

RoadWarrior
Apr 2nd 2008, 11:55 PM
Here I am... loving it all... :)

I'm glad you are here menJesus. :hug:

philz1982
Apr 3rd 2008, 01:43 AM
Acts 1:9-14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:9-14;&version=50;)

Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day's journey. 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

NKJV

Taken up into the air then a cloud recieved Him and took Him to heaven.

10-11.
They stared at the Heavens.

b. Who stood next to them?
2 men.

Either messangers of God or angels, maybe some alluding to the prophets in revelations?

Why are they staring up at the Heavens looking for Christ?

That he would return the same way he came.

It tells how he will return and coincides with prophesy and revelations.

Mount of Olives

b. Where did the disciples go after this, and why? (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:49;%20Acts%201:4;&version=50;)) Jerusalem

One day on foot.

A large upper room possibly a inn?

They both had large upper rooms.

c. *Do you believe it is possible this could be the same house? Why or why not?
It could have been but from what I have heard on passover the city is very croweded so it is likely they stayed outside the city.

13-14.
Peter, James, John, Andrew, Philip ,Thomas, Bartholomew,Matthew, James Simon , Judas , the women, Mary and with Jesus's brothers.

Praying and waiting for the promise of God

Tanya~
Apr 3rd 2008, 02:16 AM
Great to see you m&J and nice job Phil :)

Tanya~
Apr 3rd 2008, 06:15 AM
Acts 1:15-20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:15-20;&version=50;)

15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said, 16 "Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17 for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry."

18(Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out. 19 And it became known to all those dwelling in Jerusalem; so that field is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20 "For it is written in the Book of Psalms:
'Let his dwelling place be desolate,
And let no one live in it';
and,
'Let another take his office.'

a. What is meant by “in those days?” -- what days is he talking about? (Acts 1:4-5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4-5;&version=50;))
b. Who stood up to speak?
c. How many disciples were there?

a. What do you learn about the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit? (Also see 2 Pet 1:20-21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Pet%201:20-21;&version=50;))
b. What do you learn about David, the author of many of the Psalms?
c. What is it that Judas had done?

17. In what way was Judas connected to the other disciples?

18-19 (These two verses are comments inserted in the middle of Peter’s speech by Luke, the narrator)
a. The “wages of iniquity” is a reference to the payment Judas received to betray Jesus. How much money did he get? (See Matthew 26:14-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2026:14-15;&version=50;))
b. What was that money used for, and what did it come to be called? (Matt 27:6-8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt%2027:6-8;&version=50;))
c. What happened to Judas’ body?
d. How did Judas die? (Matthew 27:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2027:5;&version=50;))

20. What prophecies from the Psalms does Peter particularly apply to Judas?

We will have to leave the rest of Peter’s talk until tomorrow. In the meantime, please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

Thanks again, everyone! I look forward to reading your replies.

grptinHisHand
Apr 3rd 2008, 01:32 PM
a. What is meant by “in those days?” -- what days is he talking about? (Acts 1:4-5)
The days following Jesus ascension, while they waited for the promised Holy Spirit
Peter
about 120

a. What do you learn about the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit? (Also see 2 Pet 1:20-21)
The Holy Spirit gave the words to David concerning Judas' being a guide to those arresting Jesus. This prophesy cam by the Holy Spirit, as all prophesy does. And it never comes by the will of man. It is necessary that Scripture be fulfilled.

That the Holy Spirit spoke through him.

guided the enemy to the place to find Jesus

He had been one of the disciples and seen and known first-hand the words and acts of Jesus.

18-19 (These two verses are comments inserted in the middle of Peter’s speech by Luke, the narrator)
a. The “wages of iniquity” is a reference to the payment Judas received to betray Jesus. How much money did he get? (See Matthew 26:14-15 )
30 pieces of silver

b. What was that money used for, and what did it come to be called? (Matt 27:6-8)
to purchase the land for Judas' burial (perhaps his death as well?) It came to be known as the 'field of blood'.

It burst open and his entrails spilled out.

d. How did Judas die? (Matthew 27:5)
He hung himself.

That the place would be desolate, no one would live in it, and another would be appointed
to serve in his place.

tango
Apr 3rd 2008, 08:50 PM
In the days that the disciples were waiting for the promise Jesus had told them was coming Peter stood up to speak, in the midst of the 120 or so disciples. Here Peter was effectively taking on the mantle of leadership. Peter was the one who had the first revelation of Christ's divinity (Mat 16:16) so it is perhaps not entirely surprising that he became the de facto leader.

The Scriptures prophesied that a friend would turn against Jesus - the Holy Spirit, the provider of all true prophecies, had provided the prophecy to David:

Psa 41:9 Even my own familiar friend in whom I trusted, Who ate my bread, Has lifted up his heel against me.

In time Judas became the man who led the accusers of Jesus to him, and identified him so they could take him away. Judas, one of the 12 original disciples, turned against Jesus, fulfilling the prophecy right down to the detail of "who ate my bread" - this was the sign Jesus gave to show which of the twelve would betray him (Mar 14:20, Mat 26:23)

Judas received thirty pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. When he realised that Jesus had been condemned to death he threw the money down in the temple. The priests would not take it back into the treasury because it was blood money, so they bought a field with it for Judas. This fulfilled another prophecy:

Zec 11:12 Then I said to them, "If it is agreeable to you, give me my wages; and if not, refrain." So they weighed out for my wages thirty pieces of silver.
Zec 11:13 And the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter"—that princely price they set on me. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD for the potter.

Judas hanged himself in his new field and when his body fell his intestines spilled out. He fell headlong into the field - the word used (πρηνής / prēnēs), which roughly translates into the English word "prone" suggests that he threw himself from a high place, and when his rope snapped he fell head-first and split open when he landed.

This rather gruesome account is courtesy of Barnes, which in turn quotes another work:

“Interpreters have suggested,” says Professor Hackett (Illustrations of Scripture, pp. 275, 276), “that Judas may have hung himself on a tree near a precipice over the valley of Hinnom, and that, the limb or rope breaking, he fell to the bottom, and was dashed to pieces by the fall. For myself, I felt, as I stood in this valley and looked up to the rocky terraces which hang over it, that the proposed explanation was a perfectly natural one. I was more than ever satisfied with it. I measured the precipitous, almost perpendicular walls in different places, and found the height to be, variously, 40, 36, 33, 30, and 25 feet. Trees still grow quite near the edge of these rocks, and, no doubt, in former times were still more numerous in the same place. A rocky pavement exists, also, at the bottom of the ledges, and hence on that account, too, a person who should fall from above would be liable to be crushed and mangled as well as killed. The traitor may have struck, in his fall, upon some pointed rock, which entered the body and caused ‘his bowels to gush out.’”

Peter references further prophecies from the Psalms when speaking about how Judas' home must be desolate, and how he must be replaced with another:

Psa 69:25 Let their dwelling place be desolate; Let no one live in their tents.
Psa 69:26 For they persecute the ones You have struck, And talk of the grief of those You have wounded.
Psa 69:27 Add iniquity to their iniquity, And let them not come into Your righteousness.
Psa 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, And not be written with the righteous.

(this also tallies with Jesus' own words about how woeful things would be for the man who betrayed him - Mark 14:21)

Psa 109:7 When he is judged, let him be found guilty, And let his prayer become sin.
Psa 109:8 Let his days be few, And let another take his office.
Psa 109:9 Let his children be fatherless, And his wife a widow.

Phroggie
Apr 3rd 2008, 09:25 PM
a. Who was gathered together? Jesus and the chosen apostles.

b. What did Jesus command His apostles (2 things)? Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift promised by the Father.

c. Whose Promise does Jesus speak about here? The promise of receiving the Holy Spirit.

a. Jesus alludes to a comment made by John the Baptist. What did John say about this promise? John said that he baptized with water, but there would be one who came after him who baptized with the Holy Spirit. He gave a detailed account of how this person (Jesus) was identified. (See John 1:32-34)

b. When would this promise be fulfilled for them? In a few days time

6. What did the disciples want to know? They asked Jesus if the time had come for Israel to be freed and their kingdom restored.

* Why do you think they asked this question? I think possibly out of simple curiosity as a natural progression asking, 'Okay well, what happens next? Is it time?'

7. How did Jesus respond to this question? Jesus tells them that God alone has the authority to set the times and dates of events and only He knows for certain exactly when they will occur.

a. What prediction did Jesus make about the things that would happen to them? They will receive the power from the Holy Spirit

b. What is the purpose of the power of the Holy Spirit? To make the disciples witnesses to God.

c. Where would this take place? Initially in Jerusalem, gradually branching out to Judea and Samaria and eventually to the ends of the earth.

Phroggie
Apr 3rd 2008, 09:59 PM
9. Describe how Jesus ascended into heaven. Jesus was taken up in to heaven as the disciples watched; a cloud hid Him from their view.

10-11.
a. What did the disciples do as Jesus ascended? The NIV says the disciples were looking intently up in to the sky as Jesus was being taken up. I imagine, too, there were a few jaws hitting the floor. The ever popular word *gobsmacked* comes to mind once again.

b. Who stood next to them? Two men dressed in white stood beside the group and asked, 'Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking in to the sky?'

I see the two men to be angels, like those who appeared to Mary Magdalene in the tomb (John 22:10-12). I believe, in both instances, that these individuals were sent for the benefit of the person(s) they were appearing to, to help them understand what was happening and to remember Jesus' teachings.

d. What do they tell them about the manner of Jesus’ return? The angels remind the apostles that Jesus will one day return in the same manner in which they saw Him ascend in to heaven.

e. *Why is this an important detail? This detail (of the clouds) is important because Jesus had told them of signs indicating 'THE END', including many false prophets coming to perform miracles in order to deceive believers. Jesus warns that these people are NOT to be believed and described in detail how he would return (Mark 13:26-27)

Mar 13:26 "At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
Mar 13:27 And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.

a. Where did these events take place? Jesus' ascension had taken place on the Mount of Olives, located a Sabbath day's walk, that is 3/4mile from the city of Jerusalem.

b. Where did the disciples go after this, and why? They returned to Jerusalem because Jesus had instructed them to stay in the city until each one had been clothed with power from on high, as promised by the Father.

a. Describe the place where they were staying. c. *Do you believe it is possible this could be the same house? Why or why not? The disciples had returned to the upper room where they'd been staying. When I read this verse I automatically assumed it was the same 'upper room' where they shared the Passover Meal with Jesus.

13-14.
a. List the names of the people mentioned here who were in attendance. Those mentioned as being in attendance were: Peter, James, John, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James (son of Alphaeus), Simon (the Zealot) and Judas (son of James)

* In comparing this list with that in Mark 3:16-19 that Thaddaeus is not mentioned, what happened to him?

Also in the group were the women (I'm assuming those who first saw the empty tomb), Mary mother of Jesus and his brothers.

b. What were they doing there? The group joined together in prayer.

menJesus
Apr 3rd 2008, 10:14 PM
Here I am - hi Road Warrior, hi all! Enjoying the study... :)

Phroggie
Apr 3rd 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi All! Well I'm just about caught up, only today's lesson to go. I'm going to admit that this one gave me a bit of trouble. Since completing the questions, I've read some of the other comments and things make a bit more sense. But, I want to post my original answers to let you in on my thoughts at the time. If you can't admit making mistakes in front of hundreds of people in an online forum then where can you?:lol:

a. What is meant by “in those days?” -- what days is he talking about?
'In those days' refers to the forty days between Jesus resurrection and His ascension in to heaven.

b. Who stood up to speak? Peter stood up to speak in the midst of the believers, a group that at the time numbered approx. 120.

a. What do you learn about the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit?
The fulfillment of Scripture was predicted long ago by the Holy Spirit who spoke of this through King David.

c. What is it that Judas had done? Betrayed Jesus to the authorities.

17. In what way was Judas connected to the other disciples? As with the rest of the disciples Judas had, at the same time, been chosen to assist Jesus with His ministry.

18-19
a. The “wages of iniquity” is a reference to the payment Judas received to betray Jesus. How much money did he get? 30 Silver coins

b. What was that money used for, and what did it come to be called? The money, referred to by the chief priests as blood money, was used to buy a field for use as burial place for foreigners.

I'm a little confused here. In Matt 27:6-8 it says the chief priests bought the field, but in today's lesson it says Judas did. Or maybe this refers to the priests using the money given to Judas?

c. What happened to Judas’ body? Judas fell headlong into the field, his body burst open from the middle and all his intestines spilled out.

d. How did Judas die? In Matt 27:5 we learn that Judas died by hanging himself. So am assuming the answer to question C happened AFTER he died. Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, I'm simply trying to get my thoughts straight.

20. What prophecies from the Psalms does Peter particularly apply to Judas? That his dwelling place (i.e. where his body rests) be desolate and no one should live in it. It also says that someone should replace Judas as a disciple.

Tanya~
Apr 3rd 2008, 10:51 PM
13-14.
a. List the names of the people mentioned here who were in attendance. Those mentioned as being in attendance were: Peter, James, John, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James (son of Alphaeus), Simon (the Zealot) and Judas (son of James)

* In comparing this list with that in Mark 3:16-19 that Thaddaeus is not mentioned, what happened to him?

Good catch! :) It shows you're paying attention to details, and details are important. It can get confusing because people sometimes had more than one name, or they might be called by their surname. You already know that Peter is sometimes called Simon and at other times he is called Cephas. Thaddaeus was the same person as the other Judas, Judas son of James (not Judas Iscariot).

Speaking of details, I noticed that a certain detail got missed in some of the replies, having to do with the field that was bought with Judas Iscariot's money. Just to clear it up, here is the Scripture that tells us what purpose was intended for this field:

Matt 27:6-8
But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, "It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood." 7 And they consulted together and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in. 8 Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day.
NKJV

Tango showed us the prophecy that the blood money would go to buy the potter's field. The priests' purpose for buying this field was to use it as a place to bury strangers, i.e., people who died there and didn't have family available to attend to their burial. It would be the priests who would have to take care of it. Judas himself probably never saw or knew about that field, because he left and went to hang himself as soon as he threw down the money. In my blog entry on this, I posted a link to an article that I think does a very good job of harmonizing Luke's account of Judas' end with Matthew's.

Great job with the questions, everyone. :) It's good to see you catching up Jen, and good to see you too, m&J. :) I hope you're all reading the blog too.

RoadWarrior
Apr 4th 2008, 01:05 AM
15. a. In the days between Jesus' ascenscion and what happens next,
b. Peter stood up to speak
c. to the disciples, about 120 in number.

a. Peter states that Scripture had been inspired by the Holy Spirit.
b. He says that David in the Psalms had prophesied about Judas.
c. Judas had guided the ones who arrested Jesus, showing them where to find Him.

17. Judas had been numbered with the disciples, and had a part in the ministry.

18-19 a. He had been paid 30 pieces of silver for guiding the chief priests to Jesus and helping them to capture Him.
b. After Judas threw the money back to the chief priests, they used it to buy the potter's field for the purpose of burying strangers.
c. Judas body had broken open and his entrails gushed out.
d. He had hanged himself in a field.

20. Peter called attention to the verses which state that his dwelling place should be desolate, and no one should live in it, and that another should take his office.

philz1982
Apr 4th 2008, 02:03 AM
Acts 1:15-20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:15-20;&version=50;)

15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said, 16 "Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17 for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry."

18(Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out. 19 And it became known to all those dwelling in Jerusalem; so that field is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)

and,

a. What is meant by “in those days?” -- what days is he talking about? (Acts 1:4-5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4-5;&version=50;))
Jesus's betray by Judas. He was saying how Jesus had to be betrayed.

Peter

Around 120

a. What do you learn about the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit? (Also see 2 Pet 1:20-21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Pet%201:20-21;&version=50;))
That scripture comes thru man via the Holy Spirit only.

Thae he was blessed with the Holy Spirit.

Betrayed Jesus to the authorities

He was one of the orignal disciples and one of the orignal ministry of Christ.

a. The “wages of iniquity” is a reference to the payment Judas received to betray Jesus. How much money did he get? (See Matthew 26:14-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2026:14-15;&version=50;))
30 Pieces of silver

b. What was that money used for, and what did it come to be called? (Matt 27:6-8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt%2027:6-8;&version=50;))
To buy a field, Field of Blood

This is conflicting, for one it says he burst open on the field but then it also says he hung himself. So maybe he hung himself fell on the field and split open cause his corpse was decomposing?

d. How did Judas die? (Matthew 27:5 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2027:5;&version=50;))
Hung himself.

Let his land be barren and have someone else take up his ministry.

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 03:52 AM
Hi Philz,

This is conflicting, for one it says he burst open on the field but then it also says he hung himself. So maybe he hung himself fell on the field and split open cause his corpse was decomposing?

This is a great question, and one that a lot of people have had. Atheists like to point to this and claim that there is a contradiction between what Matthew writes about Judas, and what Luke writes about it in Acts. But I think the answer you gave above is what makes the most sense. If you still have questions after reading the blog and the site linked from there, please ask! :)

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 05:10 AM
Acts 1:21-26 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:21-26;&version=50;)

21 "Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."

23 And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, "You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen 25 to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place." 26 And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
NKJV

~~ Questions marked with an asterisk * are optional for extra study ~~

21-22. What criteria did Peter say should be met in order for one to be chosen to replace Judas? (List the qualifications)

a. What did the disciples do as a group?
b. Who were the two candidates?

24-25
a. In the disciples’ prayer, what do you learn about their understanding of God?
b. On what basis did the disciples believe the Lord would choose Judas’ replacement?
c. What did the disciples expect of the new replacement?
d. What had caused Judas to lose his position?
* What do you think is meant by the term “his own place?”

26. How did they make the choice? (Also see Proverbs 16:33 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%2016:33;&version=50;))

* Share your thoughts about Peter and the others making this decision prior to being given the Holy Spirit, and then please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

philz1982
Apr 4th 2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Philz,

This is a great question, and one that a lot of people have had. Atheists like to point to this and claim that there is a contradiction between what Matthew writes about Judas, and what Luke writes about it in Acts. But I think the answer you gave above is what makes the most sense. If you still have questions after reading the blog and the site linked from there, please ask! :)

Well Matthew just wrote he hung himself and that is all. Its kind of like saying bob fell off a cliff. So now we know how Bob died then the corner coming along and saying well after bob was killed by the initial impact his rotting body was then eaten by wild animals. It's just clarification as to what happened to the body. Not neccesarily contradicting but hey some people will grab whatever they can to disprove the bible.

On another Note
Something I have been struggling with lately is, since God is (my spelling is horrible) ominisicent and he knows every choice we will make then what is the point of waiting until the Gospel is spread to everyone. I mean he knows that I will accept Christ and so and so will not so what is the point of waiting? Why not just take the ones he knows will decide and send the others to hell? It kinda makes no sense to me? I mean whats the point of watching a game if you already know the score ya know?

findingmyfaith
Apr 4th 2008, 12:19 PM
Hope you don't mind me joining in a little later... I read through the first lesson and understood how others resonded so...

I'm going to give the second lesson a go before reading any more of this thread... hope that's alright although you might be well past this lesson now!

a. Who was gathered together? (Review Acts 1:1-3)
The apostles (though if i'm honest I'm not sure who they are or what this means!!)
b. What did Jesus command His apostles (2 things)? Not to leave jerusalem and to wait to be baptised with the holy spirit
c. Whose Promise does Jesus speak about here? the "father's" promise

a. Jesus alludes to a comment made by John the Baptist. What did John say about this promise? (See John 1:29-34) God told John that he would see Christ who would baptise with the holy spirit, and in this section, John realises who Christ is, the son of God.
b. When would this promise be fulfilled for them? "a few days"....

6. What did the disciples want to know? if Jesus was going to give the kingdom back to israel
* Why do you think they asked this question? (Compare. Acts 1:3) Jesus had been talking to them about the kingdom of God previous and they wanted to know what was going to happen next?

7. How did Jesus respond to this question? He reminded them that the Father knows and only Him should know the future of things

b. What is the purpose of the power of the Holy Spirit? To allow God to work through the apostles, to allow them to spread the word of God
c. Where would this take place? In Jerusalem, Jedea, Samaria - and in fact the whole world! Woohoo!

Well I enjoyed doing that! I'm not sure I understood all of it, but I did some of it!

Lemme know if I'm on the right track... thankyou tanya for starting this teaching!

xox

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 12:57 PM
On another Note
Something I have been struggling with lately is, since God is (my spelling is horrible) ominisicent and he knows every choice we will make then what is the point of waiting until the Gospel is spread to everyone. I mean he knows that I will accept Christ and so and so will not so what is the point of waiting? Why not just take the ones he knows will decide and send the others to hell? It kinda makes no sense to me? I mean whats the point of watching a game if you already know the score ya know?

This is a great question Phil and I think it is worth having its own thread for discussion, what do you think? If you would, go ahead and start a new thread in this same forum (New in Christ) and ask the question again. I'll keep an eye out for it and we can discuss it. I'm sure others would like to chime in with their thoughts on this question as well.

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 01:54 PM
Hi findingmyfaith! Can I just call you faith?

I'm so glad you're here, and it's perfectly fine that you joined in later. We accept all new participants at any time.

For those who aren't aware, findingmyfaith just recently came to the Lord with the help of friends as well as this board. :) Watchinginawe even put the thread where this happened in a sticky in the ChristiansAnswer forum. I love this post (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1589441&postcount=27) in that thread.

I'm going to give the second lesson a go before reading any more of this thread... hope that's alright although you might be well past this lesson now!

That is perfectly fine! And this is good timing too, because we can use the weekend to let you catch up if you would like to do that. If at any time anyone feels like they have gotten behind, or if anyone would like to join in late, it is not a problem at all. You can catch up on the lessons and post them in here, or you can do them on your own, or you can just skip the missed lessons and pick up wherever we are in the current lesson. We're flexible. :)

You are on the right track and did a great job with your answers. You also had this question:

a. Who was gathered together? (Review Acts 1:1-3)
The apostles (though if i'm honest I'm not sure who they are or what this means!!)Well then I'm glad you asked. :) An apostle is someone who is sent out by another as a representative to do a specific job. During His ministry on earth, Jesus personally chose 12 men to be apostles out of the larger group of disciples who were following Him:

Mark 3:14-15
14 Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, 15 and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons.
NKJV

Now that Jesus has left them, they are to continue their work with the emphasis on preaching in order to bring the good news of the gospel into the whole world, starting at Jerusalem. There are only 12 Apostles, but the apostolic ministry continues with those who are called by God to bring the gospel of Jesus into other places. Today we generally call these people 'missionaries.'

grptinHisHand
Apr 4th 2008, 02:56 PM
21-22. What criteria did Peter say should be met in order for one to be chosen to replace Judas? (List the qualifications)
the MEN, who had accompanied them all the time (faithful throughout Jesus ministry on earth, ie. personal witnesses), witness of resurrection

selected two qualified two candidates

Joseph (Barsabas) Justus and Matthias - men who were worthy through their continued commitment. as seen in answer above.

24-25
a. In the disciples’ prayer, what do you learn about their understanding of God?
That God knows our hearts, that He will direct us in what is His will
b. On what basis did the disciples believe the Lord would choose Judas’ replacement?
On the basis that God KNOWS the hearts of men

to take part in the ministry (spreading God's message, following Jesus' teachings, taking the place vacated by Judas
d. What had caused Judas to lose his position? His transgression - betraying Jesus by showing the enemy where He could be found.
"This may well be a euphemism for Judas’ judged fate. He separated himself from them, and thus separated he would remain." from Bible.org

26. How did they make the choice? (Also see Proverbs 16:33)
the lot was cast, but it told of the Lord's decision on the matter
They cast lots - similar to the use of dice, as seen in OT in books of Joshua 7:11-22, Samuel chapters 10:17-24 and 14:42; and Jonah 1:7.

* Share your thoughts about Peter and the others making this decision prior to being given the Holy Spirit, and then please read comments for this passage here.
I think they needed to fill the position so that there would be 12, as there were to be 12 to correspond to the 12 tribes of Israel.

RoadWarrior
Apr 4th 2008, 06:03 PM
21-22. Peter's view of the qualifications for a replacement for Judas are:
one of the men who had been part of the group all along
He should have been among them from the beginning,
from the time John was baptizing (or when he baptized Jesus)

a. The disciples nominated two men who met those qualifications.
b. The two nominees were Joseph Barsabas Justus, and Matthias.

24-25
a. The disciples acknowledge that God knows the hearts of men.
b. They expect that God will choose one of the two candidates.
c. The new guy will be expected to take part in the ministry and apostleship.
d. Judas had transgressed - and fallen from the apostleship. The transgression was that he had betrayed Jesus into the hands of those who killed Him.

I think "his own place" meant his place in death, in eternity.

26. The choice was made by casting lots. The Jews had used this method of making decisions for centuries, and had strong belief or faith that the answer was not luck, but came from God.

Peter was quite sincere in doing what he believed to be right, and doing it in a traditional way. But we know from studying the gospel of Mark, that he tended to be impulsive and not really think things through before speaking or acting on his thoughts and impulses. What they did is not unlike what we do. We come up with ideas and ask God to bless them, instead of asking God for His idea or plan. I think we have this difficulty because we do not know how to "hear" from God what He wants us to do.

Also we tend to be impatient. Jesus had told them to wait, He had not given instructions on any actions. But it is hard to wait. "Many days" must have seemed to already have passed, and nothing had happened. When this is true for us, we think, "It must be that I need to do ... something!"

Even today, many Christians think that we need to "do" something to expedite Jesus' return to earth.

menJesus
Apr 4th 2008, 07:13 PM
I am here... this is really nice! Tanya, ever thought about starting with Genesis 1:1??? ;)

:) PS - I am learning how to do this - I am learning a new thing! :)

Tanya~
Apr 4th 2008, 07:17 PM
I am here... this is really nice! Tanya, ever thought about starting with Genesis 1:1??? ;)

:hmm: Wonder how long it would take to get through the Bible at the rate we're going? :lol:

:) PS - I am learning how to do this - I am learning a new thing! :)

If you ever feel like posting answers to the questions, just jump right in! :)

The Novelist
Apr 4th 2008, 08:10 PM
Hey guys! I was just directed to this study and read through the thread, AWESOME. I'll definitely jump in with the next "assignment" :D

Phroggie
Apr 4th 2008, 09:20 PM
21-22. What criteria did Peter say should be met in order for one to be chosen to replace Judas? The potential replacement is to be chosen from those who was with Jesus from the very beginning; from John's baptism to the day Jesus ascended in to heaven.

a. What did the disciples do as a group? Between them they decided on two suitable candidates
b. Who were the two candidates? Joseph, called Basabbas (aka Justus) and Matthias

24-25
a. In the disciples’ prayer, what do you learn about their understanding of God? They acknowledge that God knows the hearts of every man.

b. On what basis did the disciples believe the Lord would choose Judas’ replacement? I guess on the basis that God knows every man's heart and therefore who is 'the right man for the job.'

c. What did the disciples expect of the new replacement? To take Judas' place and take part in the ministry and apostleship.

d. What had caused Judas to lose his position? He fell by transgression from the apostleship. How? By betraying Jesus to the authorities.

I think this refers to Judas' place in the story, and where he ended up as a consequence of his actions - that is in death (hell) for eternity.

26. How did they make the choice?
By casting lots, though the decision was by God.

* Share your thoughts about Peter and the others making this decision prior to being given the Holy Spirit, I think this shows the men had faith that God would show them whom HE had chosen to replace Judas. I think by this time they knew the decision was never theirs to make. It was all part of God's plan.

tango
Apr 4th 2008, 09:48 PM
Peter wanted the replacement for Judas to have accompanied them for all the time that Jesus was with them, starting when he was baptised and ending on the day of the ascension into heaven. This was to say that whoever was going to join the "inner circle" had to have personally witnessed what Jesus had said and done, witnessed his miracles, witnessed his death and his ascension. This was important because there is a huge difference between seeing something with your own eyes (as the new disciple would have had to have done) and hearing someone else talking about it. Unless the events were directly witnessed there was always a possibility that they would not be believed - first hand accounts are always better than second-hand.

The disciples proposed two men - Joseph and Matthias. They then prayed to God to show them which he had chosen. Their prayer includes the phrase "You... who know the hearts of all..." - they obviously trusted God to direct them to a person who was wanting to join the group for the right reasons - God would have known the difference between someone who wanted to serve and someone who wanted to be exalted. Presumably the fact they put two men forward and asked God for advice suggests that the two were sufficiently evenly matched in terms of suitability that they were unable to decide for themselves.

The disciples were asking God to choose the most suitable man for the ministry, the apostleship that was once assigned to Judas. God would give the right man the job, as suggested by Jeremiah. The way they asked God to show them who he had chosen was by casting lots, and the lot fell on Matthias.

Jer 17:10 I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings.

Judas lost his position by betraying Jesus. The NKJV uses the word transgression, taken from the Greek (παραβαίνω / parabainō) which suggests "going contrary to", "violating a command". This sums up pretty well what Judas did.

The Message puts it very cleanly:

"to take the place in this ministry and leadership that Judas threw away in order to go his own way"

What is meant by "his own place" (as in the NKJV and others) is less certain. My first thought was that it would relate to a prophecy about Judas hanging himself, much like the "his dwelling place be desolate" from the Psalms that we read in v20.

Reading through Barnes' notes it gives quite a lot to think about. Firstly it raises the question of whether the "he" in "that he might go to his own place" refers to Matthias or Judas.

Assuming that the "he" was Judas then "he might go to his own place" could refer to Judas' death in the field bought with his silver. It could be that Judas simply went his own way, betraying Jesus in order to do his own thing. Likewise it could refer to the woe brought upon Judas when he realised the consequences of what he had done.

Since Jesus said of the disciple that betrayed him "woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born." (Mat 26:24). Presumably this would not apply if Judas had felt utterly remorseful for a few days but then received a reward in heaven, so "his own place" may even refer to hell.

If the "he" was Matthias then "he might go to his own place" is unlikely to mean anything more significant than Matthias taking up his place as one of the newly grouped 12 apostles.

The method of casting lots suggests some kind of voting pattern, but the Greek (κλῆρος / klēros) is more indicative of pieces of wood, suggesting that it was more akin to drawing straws than casting votes.

Proverbs talks of casting lots into the lap, and Barnes notes describe the process in some detail:

The manner in which this was done is not certainly known. The common mode of casting lots was to write the names of the persons on pieces of stone, wood, etc., and put them in one urn, and the name of the office, portion, etc., on others.
These were then placed in an urn with other pieces of stone, etc., which were blank. The names were then drawn at random, and also the other pieces, and this settled the case.

Reading further through the notes it is interesting to see that when Judas fell away he was replaced, but the replacement of the apostles was not a recurring event. It is almost as if Jesus decided there were to be 12 apostles, so there were 12. Then one betrayed him, leaving 11, and so they replaced the absent Judas. When 12 went out that was the final group of apostles - although over time there would have been fewer and fewer people remaining who fulfilled all the requirements of vv21-22, specifically the ability to be a personal witness to the resurrection of Christ.

It is interesting to see how Peter and the others made their decision by the drawing of lots. When they received the Holy Spirit they received the gifts that Jesus promised - I won't go into details here, it looks like we'll be covering it next week, although one of the gifts of the Spirit is discernment. Since Peter would not yet have had the gift, he fell back on the Jewish tradition of asking God and then casting lots.

philz1982
Apr 5th 2008, 01:43 AM
Unfortunely I am pretty sick and have to take care of the kids so I will answer tomorrow before I go to the gym with todays study.

RoadWarrior
Apr 5th 2008, 01:53 AM
Unfortunely I am pretty sick and have to take care of the kids so I will answer tomorrow before I go to the gym with todays study.

May the Lord heal you quickly! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Tanya~
Apr 5th 2008, 02:03 AM
^ Agreed, and take care of yourself. :) My son is sick too, hopefully I won't get it. I guess something is going around.

findingmyfaith
Apr 5th 2008, 11:44 AM

NKJV

9. Describe how Jesus ascended into heaven. Lifted up and a cloud hid him from view

10-11.
a. What did the disciples do as Jesus ascended? they were looking into the sky, where jesus was going
b. Who stood next to them? *Who do you think they were, and why? Men wearing white... are they angels? I have no idea though!
c. What question do they ask the disciples? they asked why they were just standing there looking at the sky
d. What do they tell them about the manner of Jesus’ return? They said that Jesus would return from heaven in the same way they saw him go
e. *Why is this an important detail? (See Mark 13:21-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2013:21-27;&version=50;)) to recognise Jesus when He returns.. and to rule out others who pretend to be Christ, as they will not return as Jesus will.

a. Where did these events take place? (Also see Luke 24:50-51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-51;&version=50;)) A mountain called The mount of olives
b. Where did the disciples go after this, and why? (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:49;%20Acts%201:4;&version=50;)) Back to Jerusalem as Jesus told them to stay
c. What do we learn here about the distance between these two places? well in my bible version it says they are a kilometre apart... but in the above version it says a sabbath day's journey... but it wouldnt take all day to go a kilometre... unless thats how far you're aloud to go on the sabbath day cause its the day of rest ie. dont walk too far so a Kilometre would be correct. Hmm...

a. Describe the place where they were staying. in an upstairs room
b. Compare this place with Mark 14:13-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:13-15;&version=50;). What similarities do you see between the place where they are staying now, and the place they ate the Last Supper with Jesus? they are both upstairs? thats all I can see...?!
c. *Do you believe it is possible this could be the same house? Why or why not? yes... why not! It says where they were staying so they've been there for a while... the place where they were for the last supper was furnished but we have idea if this one does. I wonder was the rest of you have thought?!

13-14.
a. List the names of the people mentioned here who were in attendance. theres lots of names! They are appolstes (sorry about my spelling) right? Oh yes thanks for explaining that Tanya, i think i've only heard them refered to as diciples, but there the same group of people with the same name.... or am I wrong?? Okay so the people... Peter, John, James, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James, Simon, Judas, Mary and some of Jesus' brothers... I hope it was a big room to fit them all in!!!
b. What were they doing there? Praying together!

findingmyfaith
Apr 5th 2008, 12:34 PM
Have now read others replies to the 3rd lesson...

It makes more sense to me that the cloud helped jesus ascend, rather than just hid him, as i first thought.

I'm also glad others believes those 2 men in white could be angels.

And the mystery to whether it is the same upper room continues...

I love doing this together with you guys, it means I can think independtly but also learn from others thoughts and findings! It's great!

Okay so in my attempt to catch up, here's my take on the fourth lesson:

Acts 1:15-20

and,

a. What is meant by “in those days?” -- what days is he talking about? (Acts 1:4-5) During that time? When they were waiting for the promice from the father...
b. Who stood up to speak? Peter
c. How many disciples were there? 120ish

a. What do you learn about the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit? (Also see 2 Pet 1:20-21) The scripture was written by the help of the holy spirit?
b. What do you learn about David, the author of many of the Psalms? The holy spirit talked through him about Judas
c. What is it that Judas had done? Led those to Jesus, who wanted to arrest Jesus

17. In what way was Judas connected to the other disciples? he was also a disciple with them

a. The “wages of iniquity” is a reference to the payment Judas received to betray Jesus. How much money did he get? (See Matthew 26:14-15) 30 silver coins
b. What was that money used for, and what did it come to be called? (Matt 27:6-8) They bought a field with the money for a place to burry strangers to jerusalem... it was called potters field but become known as Field of blood
c. What happened to Judas’ body? buried in the field? It burst open and his intestines poured out?
d. How did Judas die? (Matthew 27:5) He hanged himself

20. What prophecies from the Psalms does Peter particularly apply to Judas? Not sure I understand this bit... that the field will be empty and no one will live on it, only be burried in it?

Found this passage hard... I look forward to reading your takes on it!

findingmyfaith
Apr 5th 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm glad i wasnt the only one confused about Judas' death. However, I see it is quite clear once you look at all the facts. And thankyou Tanya for your blog on it afterwards, helped me alot!!

One question: We seem to have lots of answers for what "in those days" meant. Could you clarify this?

Anyways! On with the lesson! Then I shall need a break, my brain is working overtime!!!!

Acts 1:21-26

21 "Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."

23 And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, "You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen 25 to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place." 26 And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
NKJV

21-22. What criteria did Peter say should be met in order for one to be chosen to replace Judas? (List the qualifications) part of the group when Jesus was with them from the time of John's baptising to when Jesus went up to heaven

a. What did the disciples do as a group? They decided on two suitable people that fit this criteria above
b. Who were the two candidates? Joseph Barsabbas and Matthias

24-25
a. In the disciples’ prayer, what do you learn about their understanding of God? That God knows everyone's thoughts, and can therefore know which of the candiates is best
b. On what basis did the disciples believe the Lord would choose Judas’ replacement? not sure i understand the question!
c. What did the disciples expect of the new replacement? to become an apostle!
d. What had caused Judas to lose his position? he turned from Jesus, and betrayed him
* What do you think is meant by the term “his own place?” where he belongs

26. How did they make the choice? (Also see Proverbs 16:33) they used lots... whatever they are and it showed Matthias as the new apostle! Proverbs says that lots are use to make a decision but only the Lord has the answer

* Share your thoughts about Peter and the others making this decision prior to being given the Holy Spirit Hmmm.... not sure!

Kingsdaughter
Apr 5th 2008, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone! It is very nice to be back and I am sorry Tanya, RW, Phrog, and Tango, that I was not able to finish in the book of Mark. Alot has been going on, but I want you all to know that that bible study has really blessed me and helped me to study and read God's word. Thank you dear Tanya. :)I am happy to see that you all are studying the book of Acts. And I will 'jump' right in, if thats alright.

Love in Christ,
Trina

RoadWarrior
Apr 5th 2008, 03:47 PM
Jump in, wherever you like. We are glad to have you safely back from your trip. :hug:

Kingsdaughter
Apr 5th 2008, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the New in Christ study in the book of Acts! We’re just getting started so now would be a great time to join us if you are interested in growing along with us. For more information about the study, please read the Study Notes (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=103784) sticky. Believers at all levels of Bible knowledge are wanted and welcome! New believers who have little or no Bible knowledge will learn a lot, and those who have been Christians for a longer time will also be welcome as an example and for the encouragement of others, as well as for your own benefit. It really doesn’t matter how much you already know of Scripture, we always learn something new when we study His word together!

This is an easy, but also in-depth study of Acts. The questions themselves will be easy because the answers are straight out of the Bible verses, but we’re going to go slowly and try not to skip over anything. By the time we are finished, we should all have a much better understanding of the early history of the church as recorded in Acts. I pray that the Lord will open our understanding so that we can know the ways of God as He works in and through the body of Christ, the church.

Let’s Get Started! If you haven’t already, please read the study notes (use link above) for information on how we do this study. Also feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Acts 1:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:1-3;&version=50;)

The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, 2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, 3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
NKJV~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

a. Where did that former account leave off? (Also see Luke 24:50-51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2024:50-51;&version=50;))

2-3.

1. We learn that the author is addressing Theophilus. And that he has seen and heard, from the very first, what Jesus had done and taught. We also learn that Luke was a physician and beloved. The author wrote in his former account of what Jesus had done and said after His resurrection.

2. Jesus took the disciples out to Bethany, He blessed them and as He was blessing them, He parted and was carried up to heaven. ( what a sight that must have been, not only to see the Lord alive after seeing Him dead, but to see Him going...literally...up to heaven! How wonderful it is going to be to see Him one day)

2-3. From the time Jesus suffered and the time He was taken up, He through the Holy Spirit gave commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen. He was with His disciples for forty days after His suffering was over. ( how awesome it must have been for the disciples to have forty days with our RISEN LORD! Forty days is a long time to clear any doubts they may have had that He is ALIVE!)
During those forty days Jesus spoke to them about things pertaining to the kingdom of God. There should be no doubt that Jesus is alive, because He presented Himself to the apostles alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs. ( In the gospels it is written that He ate, spoke, walked and was felt by Thomas after His suffering) Not only that but He was with them a whole FORTY DAYS! It is very important to note that Jesus gave the apostles commandments...there is work to be done! He also spoke of things pertaining to the kingdom of God. What great hope we have of eternal life, of seeing our Lord face to face, knowing that He is preparing a place for us and He is coming again. How short our time here in this life compared to eternity. What a sense of urgency I have in my heart to reach the lost. Yes Lord ,there is work to be done and we praise You for this hope of eternal life and dwelling with You in the kingdom of our Father forever.

Tanya~
Apr 5th 2008, 06:40 PM
13-14.
a. List the names of the people mentioned here who were in attendance. theres lots of names! They are appolstes (sorry about my spelling) right? Oh yes thanks for explaining that Tanya, i think i've only heard them refered to as diciples, but there the same group of people with the same name.... or am I wrong??
This is a great question. :) All 12 of the apostles were disciples, but not all of Jesus' disciples were apostles. A disciple is someone who learns from and follows another. We're all disciples of Jesus too because we are learning from Him, and we follow Him. An apostle is chosen and sent forth on a particular mission. The 12 Apostles were specially chosen for their unique task of getting the church established. There were many disciples, but only 12 of these Apostles.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 5th 2008, 06:54 PM
This is a great question. :) All 12 of the apostles were disciples, but not all of Jesus' disciples were apostles. A disciple is someone who learns from and follows another. We're all disciples of Jesus too because we are learning from Him, and we follow Him. An apostle is chosen and sent forth on a particular mission. The 12 Apostles were specially chosen for their unique task of getting the church established. There were many disciples, but only 12 of these Apostles.

Thank you for this Tanya:idea: Good question findingmyfaith and nice to meet you. I'm Trina:D

Tanya~
Apr 5th 2008, 06:56 PM
Faith, you did a lot of work here! And you're doing a great job too. It's good to see how you are getting the answers from the Scripture, and help by reading what others have written and the blog. It makes me happy that the setup we have going here is working well for you.

After doing all that work at once, you can see why we take it day-by-day, in little sections. :) Then you get it all -- but not all at once!

One question: We seem to have lots of answers for what "in those days" meant. Could you clarify this?

Jesus had promised them, just before He was taken up, that they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit "not many days from now" (Acts 1:5). So they obediently returned to Jerusalem to wait, and it was "in those days" of praying together and waiting for the Holy Spirit that Peter stood up to suggest they choose Judas' replacement.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 5th 2008, 07:30 PM
Acts 1:4-8
4. The apostles were gathered together with Jesus. He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father. The Promise is the Holy Spirit.

5. John the baptist said that he saw the Spirit descending from heaven as a dove and remained on him(Jesus) and the that the same one who sent him to baptize with water, told him that the man on whom he sees the Spirit come down and remain, this will be the One who will baptize with the Holy Spirit. Jesus said to the apostles that this will happen," not too many days from now."

6. The disciples wanted to know if Jesus was going to restore the kingdom to Israel at this time. Maybe they asked because for forty days Jesus was speaking to them of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

7. He tells them that it is not for them to know of the times and seasons that the Father has already set by His authority.

8. Jesus tells them that they will be witnesses to Him in Jerusalem and all of Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth.The purpose of the Holy Spirit was to give them power to do this. This would happen when the Holy Spirit comes upon them.

These verses remind of how many times I tried to live the christian life in my own efforts and in my own strength, and I fail miserably. I am reminded that it is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that I am able to fullfil His will and live the life He wants me to live.

philz1982
Apr 6th 2008, 12:18 AM
btw i am typing with a kid in my lap

Acts 1:21-26 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:21-26;&version=50;)

NKJV~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

i dont see this in the text other then be an apostle maybe that they have been with the apostles and become witnesses?

decided on a 12th apostle
joesph and matthias

24-25
he knows mens hearts and inner personas.
his hearts
to be an apostle and spread the message of Christ
d. What had caused Judas to lose his position?
he betrayed Jesus
hell? maybe how he would be remebered aka your place in history.

26. How did they make the choice? (Also see Proverbs 16:33 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs%2016:33;&version=50;))
they cast lots.

* Share your thoughts about Peter and the others making this decision prior to being given the Holy Spirit

If he hadn't elected a 12th apostle then Peter would be short a person during the Holy Spirits arrival and the later elected Apostle would have missed the initial gift.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 6th 2008, 06:56 AM
9. Jesus was taken up and a cloud received Him out of their sight.

10-11. The disciples were looking steadfastly toward heaven as Jesus was taken up. There were two men who stood by them and they were wearing white. Could it have been Moses and Elijah? Because they were with Jesus on the mountain when He was transfigured. They asked the disciples why they were standing and gazing up into heaven.:lol: Sorry, but I thought this was kind of funny. The two men tell them that just as they saw Him go up into heaven, that's how He will return. This is a very important detail because there will be many false christs who will come and say that they are Jesus or there will be some who say that He has already come, but we know from Acts 1: 11 that He will come through the clouds. Just as the disciples saw Him leave, that's how we will see Him come back.

12. This took place on the mount called Olivet. The disciples returned to Jerusalem. They returned to Jerusalem because Jesus told them to stay there until they receive the Promise from the Father, the Holy Spirit. We learn that it took them a Sabbath day's journey to get to Jerusalem. ( I have no idea how long a Sabbath day's journey is, so I looked at my study notes and it says that it was about 2/3 mile. A distance that a Jew was allowed to travel on the Sabbath.)

13. They are staying in the upper room. I think the similarities are that these are both upper rooms and that they are both in Jerusalem. In Acts it just says that they were staying in the upper room, but the room that Jesus and His disciples had Passover was a large upper room, furnished and prepared. I think it could have been the same house because Jesus and His disciples had Passover in an upper room. Maybe the master of the house already knows the disciples and let them stay there again. I don't know.:hmm:

13-14. The people who were there were Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. Along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and His brothers. They were all one in accord in prayer and supplication.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 6th 2008, 07:43 AM
15. I think what is meant by "in those days" were the days they were in Jerusalem waiting for the Promise, the Holy Spirit? Peter stood up to speak. The number of disciples were a hundred and twenty. (thank you tanya for explaining the difference between disciples and apostles and thanks to fmf for the question:D)

16. We learn in this verse that Scripture must always be fullfilled and that the Holy Spirit speaks through man and that as it is written in 2Pt 1:20-21, all prophecy of scripture is from the Holy Spirit speaking through man. We also learn that the Holy Spirit spoke through David. And he prophesied about Judas. Judas was a quide to those who arrested Jesus.

17. Judas was numbered with the other disciples and became a part in their ministry.

18-19. Judas received thirty pieces of silver to betray Jesus. He threw the money back and since the chief priests said that it was unlawful to put the money back into the treasury because it was the price of blood, they bought the potter's field to bury strangers in. And it has come to be called the Field of Blood. Judas' body fell headlong and he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out. He died by hanging himself.

20. Peter points out the prophecy in Psalms that says that his( Judas) dwelling place will be desolate and no one will live in it. That's true since it is a cemetary.( the chief priests said that they will bury strangers there) And let another take his office.

Wow, it is very late and I want to do the last study,but it will have to wait until tomorrow after church.

Christ love and blessings to all of you:hug:

menJesus
Apr 6th 2008, 08:45 AM
I was here last night, but I think I forgot to let everyone know! Anyways, here I am...:)

Kingsdaughter
Apr 6th 2008, 04:25 PM
21-22. Peter says that in order for one of these men to be chosen they have to have been with them all the time since the baptism of John and the time He was taken up. And this person must become a witness, along with the apostles, to Jesus' resurrection.

23. The disciples chose two men. They were Joseph, called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.

24-25. The disciples took it upon themselves to replace Judas and they together, chose two men. After going about it their own way, they decide to pray and ask the Lord to choose one of the two. They should have prayed from the beginning asking the Lord whether or not it is His will that they should REPLACE Judas. They assumed that was the Lord's will. And they prayed and asked the Lord to show them which one of the two He has chosen. God knows the hearts of men, and that is true, which is probably why they thought He would choose one of the two. ( I can learn something from this passage:D)The disciples expected the new replacement to take part in their ministry and apostleship. Judas lost his position because of his transgression. Maybe "his own place" is referring to the field that was purchased with the 'wages of iniquity' which is where Judas' body fell headlong and burst asunder.

26. They made their choice by casting lots. ( According to Proverbs 16:33 it says that when someone casts lots, it's decision is made by the Lord.)

findingmyfaith
Apr 6th 2008, 07:21 PM
yes, I think i'll take the study a day at a time now i've caught up!

Tanya: There were many disciples, but only 12 of these Apostles.

Aha! Thankyou for explaining this. I see how they are similar but different now.

Kings Daughter: Good question findingmyfaith and nice to meet you. I'm Trina

Hello!!! Well done to you for playing catch up aswell, you caught up quickly!

& Hello to everyone else here.... looking forward to the next study :pp

Phroggie
Apr 6th 2008, 07:46 PM
Hello to everyone else here.... looking forward to the next study :pp

Hello Faith:wave: and a warm welcome to you and all the new comers to the study. I'm Jen, my husband (tango) and I look forward to getting to know each of you as we study God's word together.

To kingsdaughter - Welcome back my sister!:ppI missed you!:hug::kiss:

Kingsdaughter
Apr 6th 2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks Jen and RW, I've missed you all too:hug::kiss:

Tanya~
Apr 7th 2008, 06:31 AM
:) Everyone is doing so well! Phil, I hope that you are feeling better now.

The next set of questions has been posted and can be found here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1597768#post1597768).