PDA

View Full Version : Getsemane prayer

Valmarie
Mar 31st 2008, 01:23 PM
Hey

Can anyone tell me more on the Prayer of Getsemane?

diffangle
Mar 31st 2008, 01:40 PM
Is there something specific you want to know about it?

Valmarie
Mar 31st 2008, 01:49 PM
How i understand it is that Jesus took up all the sins of yesterday today and tomorrow upon Himself. So in other words He almost died from that and that His pain and Suffering started even before He was crusified.

Now what I want to know is, how can we not love Him.

diffangle
Mar 31st 2008, 02:32 PM
We do love Him. You're going to be hard-pressed to find someone around here who will say differently(only in the Christian Answers forum). ;)

HisLeast
Mar 31st 2008, 02:35 PM
How i understand it is that Jesus took up all the sins of yesterday today and tomorrow upon Himself. So in other words He almost died from that and that His pain and Suffering started even before He was crusified.

I don't think there's any case for Jesus "almost dieing" from some kind of physiological sin accumulation. The way I see it, the chapter is easier explained as a simple demonstration of the human side of Jesus as well as his righteousness. Here's a man who knows he's been betrayed, and probably knows he'll suffer one of the most painfull and humiliating deaths known at the time. If I knew I was getting crucified in the next few days, I'd be pretty distraught too. Yet even in that despair /fear, he petitions God and acknowledges that the will of the Father may be counter to the will of man, but ultimately better for everyone.

Those who do not either don't know of or don't believe in the whole Jesus story.

Teke
Apr 1st 2008, 01:34 PM
Hey

Can anyone tell me more on the Prayer of Getsemane?

This is a good lead in question to explore the Trinity more ie. enhypostasization. But I don't know if that is what your seeking to understand better.

Naphal
Apr 3rd 2008, 02:11 AM
I don't think there's any case for Jesus "almost dieing" from some kind of physiological sin accumulation. The way I see it, the chapter is easier explained as a simple demonstration of the human side of Jesus as well as his righteousness. Here's a man who knows he's been betrayed, and probably knows he'll suffer one of the most painfull and humiliating deaths known at the time. If I knew I was getting crucified in the next few days, I'd be pretty distraught too. Yet even in that despair /fear, he petitions God and acknowledges that the will of the Father may be counter to the will of man, but ultimately better for

Yes that's exactly what I believe was happening.

Valmarie
Apr 3rd 2008, 08:23 AM
THANK YOU FOR ALL The info, i do not know what the woord "enhypostasization" means. can you pls tell me more.

I am bizzy with the Elijah house Counsiling and in the course theye tell you that you must go to the Getsemane prayer for the people that hurt you to feel there pain and to go there for your own sins as well.

I can understand it now but it is not easy. but that is what i want to be walking in Jesus Shadow

Teke
Apr 3rd 2008, 09:27 PM
THANK YOU FOR ALL The info, i do not know what the woord "enhypostasization" means. can you pls tell me more.

I am bizzy with the Elijah house Counsiling and in the course theye tell you that you must go to the Getsemane prayer for the people that hurt you to feel there pain and to go there for your own sins as well.

I can understand it now but it is not easy. but that is what i want to be walking in Jesus Shadow

Hi Valmarie. :)
Basically enhypostasization, explores the two natures in Christ. Humanity possesses the nature of virtue in his will (a will to do good) because God endowed him with it at creation. Adam was in this state in the beginning and this is what caused him to sin. As Adam saw what he did as good, he was exercising the God given ability to do good. But it was for other reasons than God's will.

Jesus expresses His will to be in union with God's will in His prayer in the garden, "not my will but thine will be done". In this He gives an example of how the human will toward virtue (it's natural created state before the fall) can be attained when in union with God's will. This happens when our will is not distracted by externals (it was an external which effected Adam's will).

Prayer is the only way for us to attain to this state of being in union with God.