PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand Isaiah 4

bhoup
Apr 7th 2008, 06:26 AM
2In that day the branch of the LORD shall be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the pride and honor of the survivors of Israel. 3 And he who is left in Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy, everyone who has been recorded for life in Jerusalem, 4when the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgment and by a spirit of burning. 5Then the LORD will create over the whole site of Mount Zion and over her assemblies a cloud by day, and smoke and the shining of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory there will be a canopy. 6 There will be a booth for shade by day from the heat, and for a refuge and a shelter from the storm and rain.

----------------

From what I am reading in commentaries...

-the "branch" in verse 2 refers to Christ in the NT as well as the "fruit of the land."

-those in verse 3 refer to people of the NT gospel church

-those in verse 4 also of the NT gospel church

-"the whole site of Mount Zion" and "assemblies" refers to the NT gospel church

BUT...

-also in verse 5 the cloud...alluding to the Lord's going before the children of Israel in the wilderness, in a pillar of cloud by day, and in a pillar of fire by night; and to their being upon and covering the tabernacle, when it rested; and also to the cloud and smoke that were upon Mount Sinai, when the Lord was present there, (Exodus 13:20,21 (http://www.searchgodsword.org/desk/?query=ex+13:20,21)) (19:9-18 (http://www.searchgodsword.org/desk/?query=ex+19:9-18)) (Numbers 9:15,16 (http://www.searchgodsword.org/desk/?query=nu+9:15,16))

Why would verses 2-4 be speaking of NT times but then verse 5 about OT times? :confused

th1bill
Apr 7th 2008, 05:40 PM
.. To understand this passage you're going to need to deal with it in the terms of it's local context and that will begin in the first chapter but I believe you will begin to see it's meaning by just reading the chapter before it. The important thing to remember about scripture is that chapters were added to the text many, many centuries after the scriptures were written. For this reason alone, context is often not derived from a single chapter and this is the reason heresy is so common today. The addition of chapter and verse has made the reading of scripture easier but it has made it much easier to isolate one scripture from it's intended context also.
.. I hope this helps you.

TEITZY
Apr 8th 2008, 12:26 AM
Well I suggest you stop reading those commentaries and just look at what the passage actually says. Verse 2 refers to the "survivors of Israel" and verses 3-5 mention "Zion", "Jerusalem", "daughters of Zion" & "Mount Zion". If language means anything then this is talking about Israel, not the Church. Paul said that the NT Church was a "mystery" (Eph 5:32) and therefore it was not revealed in the OT.

The passage refers to the return of Christ to set up His earthly millennial kingdom based at Jerusalem. After the "rebels" of Israel are purged out (Eze 20:38), the remaining "survivors of Israel and he who is left in Zion" will enter into the promised messianic kingdom.

Cheers
Leigh

joztok
Apr 8th 2008, 10:24 AM
Well I suggest you stop reading those commentaries and just look at what the passage actually says. Verse 2 refers to the "survivors of Israel" and verses 3-5 mention "Zion", "Jerusalem", "daughters of Zion" & "Mount Zion". If language means anything then this is talking about Israel, not the Church. Paul said that the NT Church was a "mystery" (Eph 5:32) and therefore it was not revealed in the OT.

The passage refers to the return of Christ to set up His earthly millennial kingdom based at Jerusalem. After the "rebels" of Israel are purged out (Eze 20:38), the remaining "survivors of Israel and he who is left in Zion" will enter into the promised messianic kingdom.

Cheers
Leigh
I second that! Well spoken Teitzy!!! ;)

joztok
Apr 8th 2008, 10:27 AM
Just in case you didn't see my reply for the other Isaiah 4 thread you made:

Well for starters. The church was a mystery to the prophets of the Old Testament. They had no knowledge of it and prophesied only to Gods people- the Jews. So this prophecy is about the end times- after the church is raptured.

There is a 'day' referred to in the Old Testament referred to as the "Lords Day' or the 'Day of the Lord'. This is the time of the tribulation.
The previous chapter sounds like the near end of the tribulation for Judah and Jerusalem sound as though they are being disciplined. So this sounds like it is coming to the close of the 'Lords Day' and about to start the new day- the transitional move from the tribulation to the 1000yrs reign of Christ.

The Jews will come into an age of prosperity with their Messiah for 1000yrs. Any form of glory can take place in that period I suppose- clouds, fire, shekinah glory, etc. in memory of who their God is, what He's done for them and what He will do for them. This is the era of all fulfilled Jewish prophecy- apart from the book of Revelations which continues to explain things further right to the very end.

Jubal
Apr 11th 2008, 07:45 AM
Whenever you see the term in that day in the bible it is refering to the millennial kingdom of Jesus.

BHS
Apr 15th 2008, 01:31 AM
Bhoup,

Here is a study I once did on Isaiah Chapter 4.

The conclusion of this prophecy comes in the blessed promise of the Messiah! Similar Messianic passages are found in Jeremiah --

Jeremiah 23:5-6
"'Behold, the days are coming,' declares the LORD, 'When I will raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely And do justice and righteousness in the land. 6 In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell securely; And this is His name by which He will be called, 'The LORD our righteousness.'"

To express how the Messiah will spring forth Isaiah relies on the Hebrew word "tsamach", which is usually used of the shooting forth of plants and herbs. The sprout is that shoot which comes from the tree of David. It springs to life from the decayed tree of David's dynasty and rises to more glorious heights than before.

The thoughts behind the title "Branch of the Lord" are also those of fruitfulness and life. Jesus used the same imagery when He said that He was the vine and we are the branches.

John 15:5
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."

The future glory and true beauty of Israel will be found in God Himself and more specifically in the Messiah. The words used to describe the "Branch of the Lord" are also applied to the Lord in the following passages:

Isaiah 28:5
"In that day the LORD of hosts will become a beautiful crown And a glorious diadem to the remnant of His people;"

Isaiah 60:19
"No longer will you have the sun for light by day, nor for brightness will the moon give you light; But you will have the LORD for an everlasting light, and your God for your glory."

With the mention of the remnant we are made aware of God's covenant faithfulness to His promise that a remnant would be saved. Moses prophesied in Deuteronomy 30:1-10 that a portion of Israel would return to the Lord after having passed through judgment and the concept of this remnant is carried on throughout Isaiah and other prophetic books. Those who were left and those who remained in Jerusalem were the remnant who were to be called holy. (Exodus 19:6). Those who remain after God's judgment are written down in the book of life for eternal life. For the preserved remnant who came through judgment and who trusted in the promise of the Messiah before His appearing, that promise would be all the more beautiful. How glorious and beautiful is our Lord Jesus, Who was promised, Who came and Who is to come again!

This judgment is necessary to wash away the filth of those who boasted and shed innocent blood. In God's grace and in the shedding of Jesus' innocent blood came the opportunity for sin and guilt to be washed away for all. Likewise, Zechariah 13:1 says, "In that day a fountain will be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and for impurity." The Spirit of the Lord does the inner cleansing. While we not only need to have our present sin removed, we also need to have our desire to sin removed.

The pillar of cloud stood over the tabernacle (the dwelling place of God) as a tangible, visible symbol of God's favor and Presence. The tabernacle is a place of protection, a place of refuge and shelter from the storm. Over the whole assembly is the protective covering of God. This is a picture of the Lord as the Keeper of Israel ("Shomer Israel") He watches over Israel to protect and preserve her.

Psalm 121:5-7
"The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade on your right hand. 6 The sun will not smite you by day, Nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul."

We, like Israel, can be safe and secure, washed and with the abiding Presence of the Lord in our midst and dwelling within us. If we are truly born again we long to be continually washed by His blood.

1 John 1:6-7
"If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."

I hope this helps. God bless,
BHS