PDA

View Full Version : NIC Bible Study: Acts Week Two

Tanya~
Apr 7th 2008, 06:28 AM
Acts 2:1-13 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:1-13;&version=50;)

When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs — we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God." 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?"

13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."
NKJV

~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

a. Who was present? (See also Acts 1:15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:15;&version=50;))
b. When did these events take place?
c. Where were they? (Also see verse 2 and Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4;&version=50;))

2-4. Describe how the Holy Spirit came to them:
What did they hear?
What did they see?
What did each of them personally experience?

a. Who witnessed these things, and from where had they come?

6. What was their initial reaction and why?

7. What was their next reaction and why?

8-11.
a. How many different languages did they hear the disciples speaking?
b. What were the disciples speaking about in these languages?

12-13. What else do we learn about the reaction of the crowd?

Now please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

grptinHisHand
Apr 7th 2008, 02:36 PM
a. Who was present? (See also Acts 1:15)
The disciples, the appx 120 spoken of in the first chapter, who had gathered together at Jesus' instructions to wait for the promise
A few days after the Ascension
c. Where were they? (Also see verse 2 and Acts 1:4)
Jerusalem

What did they hear?
The sound like a rushing mighty wind. This makes me think of the sound and force of hurricane winds we get here in coastal SC
What did they see?
"divided tongues, with the appearance of fire. See Matt 3:11 John the Baptist said the Lord would baptize them with the 'Holy Spirit and with FIRE'

A filling with the Holy Spirit - I think a peace and a power unlike any they had ever experienced, and they spoke in other languages as the Spirit led them to, apparently so that others could understand the messages from God in each one's own tongue.

Jews, devout men; from every nation,
They experienced confusion because they could each understand the message in their own language.
they were amazed and discussed among themselves how it could be possible for the disciples to speak in their languages, for they probably knew these were not scholars who would have been taught in foreign languages

8-11.
As least 12, as these are the number of various places named in these verses -- probably more as there may have been various dialects from each of the different places named.

God's wonderful works. This most likely included the story of Christ's life, death, resurrection, the miracles He had performed and the fact that

Some were amazed, questioning what it could mean. Others just thought the disciples to be drunk. None of these seemed to - at this point - realize what was happening. I believe they had not yet been made aware of the promises Jesus had made.

RoadWarrior
Apr 7th 2008, 03:12 PM
1. a. The disciples - about 120 were present.b. when the day of Pentecost had "fully" come
c. in a house in the city of Jerusalem.

2-4. They heard a sound, like a mighty rushing wind.
The saw what appeared to be flames, or "tongues" of fire
The experienced the filling of the Holy Spirit, and began to speak languages which they had not previously been able to speak.

a. There were Jews in Jerusalem who had come from "every nation under heaven" - they were there for Pentecost, one of the holidays that required their presence in Jerusalem.

6. They heard the sound, and came to see what was going on. When the disciples answered the questioners, each person from out of town heard the story in their own language, rather than having to translate it from the language of the residents of Jerusalem (Hebrew? or Aramaic?) This was confusing to the questioners, that the residents knew even the remote languages.

7. When they fully realized it, they were amazed! They marveled at this phenomenon, and talked to each other about it.

8-11.
a. The visitors were from at least 13 different localities and languages.
b. They were hearing about the wonderful works of God.

12-13. The people were amazed and perplexed. They wanted to know what this meant - it was too remarkable to just say, "Isn't that interesting!" and go on with their day. Instead they were asking, "Whatever can this mean?"

I think we would be the same way, if we were at a special church function, and suddenly something like this happened. We would all come running because we would think that God might be trying to communicate something to us. The Jews, being both devout and analytical, would naturally want to look into the spiritual significance.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 7th 2008, 04:38 PM
1. It was the Day of Pentacost and one hundred and twenty of the disciples were there in one accord and in one place. They were in Jerusalem.

2-4. Suddenly there came a sound from heaven. It sounded like a rushing mighty wind and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. ( I am in awe when I read this, how wonderful it is to know that we have the Holy Spirit living on the inside of us) They saw divided tongues as of fire and one sat upon each of them. (Wow!) They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues. The Spirit gave them utterance.

I have a question about speaking in tongues. Many boardmembers here believe that if you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, then you can speak in tongues and they use this scripture verse as a reference. But I don't believe that. I know that I was saved the night I surrendered my life to CHrist and I am certain that I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me and that I know I belong to Christ and that I am a child of God that happened ten years ago and I have never doubted that I was born again that day, but I have never spoken in tongues. What are your thoughts?

5. Jerusalem Jews witnessed this and they were devout men. They came from every nation under heaven.

6. When they heard the sound they were confused because they heard everyone speaking in his own language.

7. Their next reaction was that they were amazed and marveled because they knew that these men were all Galileans.

8-11. I hope I counted correctly, but I think there were 17 languages?
The disciples were speaking in these languages the wonderful works of God( Hallelujah!!!)

12-13. Some were amazed and perplexed, wondering what all this could mean. And others were mocking them thinking that they were all drunk.

PS I like that you are adding comments at the end Tanya, I enjoy reading those:)

Tanya~
Apr 7th 2008, 07:20 PM
Hi Trina,

I have a question about speaking in tongues. Many boardmembers here believe that if you have the Holy Spirit living inside of you, then you can speak in tongues and they use this scripture verse as a reference. But I don't believe that. I know that I was saved the night I surrendered my life to CHrist and I am certain that I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me and that I know I belong to Christ and that I am a child of God that happened ten years ago and I have never doubted that I was born again that day, but I have never spoken in tongues. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for asking this question Trina. At the moment, I'm feeling very sad about this! The reason is that the Holy Spirit is what unifies all believers -- what unites us in one body in Christ.

1 Cor 12:12-14
For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by [literally 'in'] one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free — and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.
NKJV

And yet depending on who you ask, the Holy Spirit and His ministry in the body is one of the more controversial of all subjects. That is incredibly sad to me. The reality is that people will see things differently, and no amount of discussion or debate is going to change that. But you know that you have the Holy Spirit dwelling in you, and you belong to Him. The Holy Spirit is given by the promise of God and we can trust that He has given us His Spirit even if we don't have the manifestation of tongues.

We must not divide over what God has given to unite us!

:hug:

tango
Apr 7th 2008, 07:46 PM

My understanding is that tongues are a gift of the Spirit. A gift may be given to some and not to others. My quote from the Bible is two verses before Tanya's:

1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Co 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

The Spirit gives gifts to us as He chooses. You aren't a better person because you have a particular gift, nor a lesser person because you don't. It seems that tongues is one of the lesser gifts, despite the importance some people place upon it:

1Co 14:39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

tango
Apr 7th 2008, 08:19 PM
The disciples were gathered together (approximately 120 of them, not just the original 12), at the feast of Pentecost. Pentecost is a Greek term signifying the 50th of something, and was the name of the festival coming 7 weeks and one day (50 days in total) after Passover. The disciples were all with one accord in one place. They would have been in Jerusalem - all Jewish men were required to attend Jerusalem for the three major feasts - although the text does not offer anything more than "the house where they were sitting".

The text refers to "when the day of Pentecost had fully come" (emphasis mine). Barnes' notes mentions the period which had to pass before the arrival of the feast of Pentecost - since all Jewish men were required to go to Jerusalem for the feast it made sense for the Spirit to hold off until there were as many men as possible present to witness the events which followed.

The Spirit came to them as a rushing mighty wind which filled the whole house. Then there appeared divided tongues as of fire, one sitting upon each disciple. They were all filled with the Spirit, and began to speak in other tongues. This was the initial fulfillment of Jesus' promise of the Spirit that would come to them (Acts 1:4)

This rushing mighty wind with tongues of fire seems to be a common feature of God's presence (fire, if not specifically tongues of fire). Jumping back to Ezekiel (yet again) we see whirlwinds with clouds engulfed with fire (Eze 1:4). Here God's presence seems rather more subtle, although the characteristics are still there.

Dipping back into Barnes' commentary, he notes that the rushing mighty wind came from heaven, whereas a wind would normally blow horizontally. He also notes that it was the sound that filled the house - since the Spirit came "as a rushing mighty wind" there wasn't necessarily an actual wind, just the sound of a wind. He also notes that the "rushing mighty wind" is literally, “as of a violent blast borne along” - the Greek (φερομένης / pheromenēs) suggests rushing along like a tempest. So even in the absence of a physical wind there was certainly a sound like an almighty storm blowing through the house.

Many devout Jewish men, who had come from all around (every nation under heaven) witnessed the events. At first they were confused (the Greek, συγχέω / sugcheō, suggests perplexing, or throwing into disorder)
because they could all hear the disciples speaking in their own language. Then they were amazed, because the people speaking were from Galilee. These people who had come from all around - Parthians, Medes, Elamites, those from Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs - and yet they could still hear the disciples talking about the wonderful works of God in their own language.

The crowd were amazed, wondering what it could mean. It must have been quite something to see these simple men from Galilee speaking fluently in languages from all around them. The Greek translated "perplexed" (διηπόρουν / diēporoun) suggests hesitancy and anxiety - the people simply didn't know how to interpret what they were seeing. But others mocked, saying the disciples were full of wine.

This comment about new wine is clearly an attempt to simply explain away something that cannot be readily explained. Drinking too much does not teach someone new languages - if anything intoxication prevents people speaking coherently at all in any language, least of all a foreign language of which they would have no understanding. Even now it is a common ploy to discredit something by associating it with something undesirable, especially when the person bringing the discredit cannot find any more logical avenue to attack their target.

RoadWarrior
Apr 7th 2008, 08:25 PM

PS I like that you are adding comments at the end Tanya, I enjoy reading those:)

Hi Trina,

I like the commentary blog also! Today I left my first comment on there, but I logged in as anonymous. I guess I should have signed the comment before I pressed submit. However you will probably recognize me from my writing style "voice"!

Now to your question. I have friends whose Christian practice includes praying in "tongues". Also, there have been times when I was in a church that the people wanted to get me praying in tongues, but it just never happened for me. :lol:

So I take the view that some have it and some don't and some pretend to have it. I don't judge them for having tongues, and I ask that they do not judge me for not having tongues. I think Paul speaks clearly to the subject in Corinthians, that not all speak in tongues.

I agree with you, that when we are born again, the Holy Spirit takes up residence within us and He never leaves. I have other evidences of His presence and power in my life, (other than speaking in tongues) and with that I am content.

menJesus
Apr 7th 2008, 09:34 PM
Here I am! Lurking around...;)

As for speaking in tongues, God gives us what He wants us to have, for His own reasons. As long as we are trying to live the best we can, we are in just the exact place God means us to be - after all, HE is the Giver of the gifts... we are each blessed in different ways, in order to enable us to do His work... like the fingers on the hand...;)

Alright, carry on... this is great! :)

Kingsdaughter
Apr 7th 2008, 09:52 PM
Thank you all for your responses to my question and we are one in the Spirit on this:saint:

Tanya- I agree and I too am sad that this topic of speaking in tongues divides some of us when it is the Holy Spirit who unites us all as believers.

Tango- That is my understanding of speaking in tongues, is that, it is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Those scripture verses that you posted is what I base my beliefs on, not only that but the Spirit confirms it in my heart.

RW-I didn't know that you can post your own comments on the blog:lol:( I really don't know anything about blogs) I'm going to have to go back and read your comments.I thought it was funny, your story of your friends church trying to get you to speak in tongues, that happened to me at my cousins church, I was a new believer and I felt like I was put on the spot, everyone, and I mean everyone at that church was speaking in tongues and I didn't.Yet I was totally at peace. Knowing in my heart and mind that the Lord was with me, in me and upon me:D

Kingsdaughter
Apr 7th 2008, 09:53 PM
Here I am! Lurking around...;)

As for speaking in tongues, God gives us what He wants us to have, for His own reasons. As long as we are trying to live the best we can, we are in just the exact place God means us to be - after all, HE is the Giver of the gifts... we are each blessed in different ways, in order to enable us to do His work... like the fingers on the hand...;)

Alright, carry on... this is great! :)

Thank you menJesus, I agree.

Phroggie
Apr 7th 2008, 10:02 PM
a. Who was present? The apostles and the group of believers (disciples) that we met in Ch 1 v15
b. When did these events take place? On the day of Pentecost, that is the 50th day after Passover. (Thanks tango for introducing me to Barnes:lol:)
c. Where were they? Verse 2 says 'in the house where they were sitting' am assuming they are still in the upper room.

What did they hear? A sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven filling the entire house where the group were gathered.

What did they see? They saw what appeared to be tongues of fire which separated and came to rest on each of them.

What did each of them personally experience? Each person was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Spirit enabled them.

a. Who witnessed these things, and from where had they come? A group of God-fearing Jews who, having come from every nation under the sun, were staying in Jerusalem at the time.

6. What was their initial reaction and why? They were confused because each one heard the words being spoken in his native language.

7. What was their next reaction and why? Their next reaction was one of utter amazement because they recognized the men speaking as being Galileans ('foreigners') and realized they were speaking in something other than their native language.

According to Barnes, the Galileans were regarded as ignorant, rude and uncivilized; unacquainted with other nations and languages. So, for them to be speaking in a language other than their own was truly remarkable.

8-11.
a. How many different languages did they hear the disciples speaking? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs

b. What were the disciples speaking about in these languages? They were declaring the wonders of God.

12-13. What else do we learn about the reaction of the crowd? Understandably amazed and perplexed, those hearing what was being said asked one another what all of this meant. However, some laughed it off saying 'They have had too much wine', implying that the apostles and disciples were drunk.

Now please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).[/quote]

Tanya~
Apr 8th 2008, 05:46 AM
Today we have a lot of verses to cover, but it shouldn’t be too difficult because there won’t be more questions than usual. With a longer passage like this, it is especially helpful to use the Biblegateway.com link and open the passage in a separate window. Then you don’t have to scroll up and down to look for your answers while replying. Right-click on the Scripture reference, open it in a new window, then put the windows side by side.

Acts 2:14-24 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:14-24;&version=50;)

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17'And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the LORD.
21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the LORD
Shall be saved.'

22 "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know — 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it.

NKJV

~~ Questions marked with an *asterisk are optional or for extra study ~~~

a. Who is speaking, and to whom?
*b. Is Peter speaking on his own behalf? Explain your answer.

a. What specific reaction of the crowd does Peter address?
b. What reason does he give them why it couldn’t be as they supposed?

a. Which prophet does Peter quote?

17-21.
a. Read through the passage and find the parts of this prophecy fulfilled on Pentecost. (Compare Acts 2:4, 11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:4,%2011;&version=50;))
b. When would some of the other parts of this prophecy be fulfilled? (verse 20)
c. What will always be true in the meantime? (verse 21)

a. Using a dictionary, define the word “attest.”
b. In what way did God “attest” Jesus to the people?
*c. Why do you think Peter would say that his audience knew these things?

a. What do you learn about God?
b. What does Peter say about Jesus’ death?

24. What happened after Jesus’ death, and why?

Because of the length of Peter’s sermon, we have to stop here and take up the remainder tomorrow. Meanwhile, please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/). Thank you for your continued participation.

philz1982
Apr 8th 2008, 01:42 PM

a. Who was present? (See also Acts 1:15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:15;&version=50;))
The disciples and others numbering 120
Jerusalem
c. Where were they? (Also see verse 2 and Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4;&version=50;))
In the upper room.
What did they hear?
A strong wind
What did they see?
Tounges of fire.
They could speak all languages.
Jews
amazment they were hearing people who didnt' know their language in their language .
perplexed there was no way they should be able to speak the Jews langauge.
8-11.
15 I believe
I don't see where it says but probably about the holy spirit.
Some of them were mocking as will be in the end times even in the face of a miracle from God people will turn away.

philz1982
Apr 8th 2008, 01:47 PM

One of the things someone said to me puts it in perspective. I said I believe in Christ but I don't believe in Creation. THen I was told what does the bible say and if we believe in the bible and Christ who we can not see how can we disbelieve in tongues and other gifts of the spirit (or in my case creation) . Simply put maybe that is not a gift you are set to recieve there are 7 gifts all together I believe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_gifts_of_the_Holy_Spirit why not examine those and your life and see what ones you might have missed? Good luck and God bless.

RoadWarrior
Apr 8th 2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the link to Biblegateway, great idea to have that open while working on the questions!

a. Peter is speaking to the crowds of people.
*b. There is a difference in Peter now, and when he stood up to lead the group in selecting a new apostle. Now he has the Holy Spirit and is speaking under the anointing of the Spirit. (This may not be immediately obvious to new readers, but I do think it is true as we see in their response to His sermon.)

a. The crowd had been speculating that the disciples were drunk, so Peter addresses that first.
b. It was the 3rd hour of the day, too early for anyone to be drunk.

a. Peter proceeds to quote the prophet Joel.

17-21.
a. 1)the Holy Spirit has now been poured out on the disciples.
2) Peter has now stood up to prophesy (speak forth God's word)
3) Could the sound of the wind, and the appearance of the tongues of fire have been a vision that they all heard and saw? I had not thought of that before, but perhaps it was that.

b. Some of the other parts of this prophecy will be fulfilled before the coming of the great and awesome Day of the Lord.
c. Until the coming of that day, whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.

a. “attest.”
to bear witness to; certify; declare to be correct, true, or genuine; declare the truth of, in words or writing, esp. affirm in an official capacity: to attest the truth of a statement.

b. God had “attested” Jesus to the people by the miracles, wonders and signs that Jesus had performed.
*c. These people would have known about Jesus' miracles, as many of them would have seen, and the others would have heard about Him. The word about Jesus had spread out throughout the whole region.

a. God has "determined purpose and foreknowlege," and the events of Jesus' days were in that purpose and plan. God had delivered Jesus to the people, knowing what they would do with Him.
b. The people had taken Jesus illegally, crucified Him, and put Him to death.

24. After Jesus’ death, God loosed the pains of death, and raised Jesus. It was "not possible" for Him to be held by death.

findingmyfaith
Apr 8th 2008, 03:05 PM
Hehe as I was reading this from my bible I felt so drawn in I carried on reading until I realised id gone past the end of the passage for this study session!

The questions!

a. Who was present? (See also Acts 1:15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:15;&version=50;)) The 120 believers?
b. When did these events take place? the day of pentecost... apparently this was a time of major celebration for jews celebrating wheat harvest.
c. Where were they? (Also see verse 2 and Acts 1:4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%201:4;&version=50;)) in a house in Jerusalem where they were staying

What did they hear? a great wind
What did they see? flames of fire over each person
What did each of them personally experience? speaking different languages

a. Who witnessed these things, and from where had they come? some religious jews staying in jerusalem from every country in the world... listed later...

6. What was their initial reaction and why? suprise and confusion! They didn't expect to hear thier own lanuages being spoken in Jerusalem

7. What was their next reaction and why? Amazement! They thought it was incredible that they could hear so many languages at once spoken by people from Gaililee

8-11.
a. How many different languages did they hear the disciples speaking? 15 i think, if I counted right!
b. What were the disciples speaking about in these languages? God, and the great things He has done

12-13. What else do we learn about the reaction of the crowd? they were suspicious and confused, and mocked those that heard, saying they must have meerly drunk too much wine...

Now please read comments for this passage here (http://bibleonlinestudy.blogspot.com/).

Kingsdaughter
Apr 8th 2008, 03:10 PM
One of the things someone said to me puts it in perspective. I said I believe in Christ but I don't believe in Creation. THen I was told what does the bible say and if we believe in the bible and Christ who we can not see how can we disbelieve in tongues and other gifts of the spirit (or in my case creation) . Simply put maybe that is not a gift you are set to recieve there are 7 gifts all together I believe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_gifts_of_the_Holy_Spirit why not examine those and your life and see what ones you might have missed? Good luck and God bless.

Thank you for answering my question Phil and welcome to the bible study:) I believe in the gift of tongues and I know that some have it. I believe that because it is written in His word. I don't have that gift and I am okay with not having it. What grieves my heart is that some christians believe that if you are born again, then you should have the gift of speaking in tongues. And that I don't agree with. I know from scripture that we all have gifts from the Spirit, it's not like I sit down and go over the list and say okay, I have this and I have that:D I know that I have gifts from the Spirit, I just don't know what that gift is yet. I just do what God tells me to do. On the other hand the fruit of the Spirit is something every believer should bear. I don't necessarily think that someone speaking in tongues has the Holy Spirit, because you can fake that. But I do believe that if someone is bearing the fruit of the Spirit, you will know they are believers in Christ. Because Jesus said that you will know them by their fruits.

philz1982
Apr 8th 2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you for answering my question Phil and welcome to the bible study:) I believe in the gift of tongues and I know that some have it. I believe that because it is written in His word. I don't have that gift and I am okay with not having it. What grieves my heart is that some christians believe that if you are born again, then you should have the gift of speaking in tongues. And that I don't agree with. I know from scripture that we all have gifts from the Spirit, it's not like I sit down and go over the list and say okay, I have this and I have that:D I know that I have gifts from the Spirit, I just don't know what that gift is yet. I just do what God tells me to do. On the other hand the fruit of the Spirit is something every believer should bear. I don't necessarily think that someone speaking in tongues has the Holy Spirit, because you can fake that. But I do believe that if someone is bearing the fruit of the Spirit, you will know they are believers in Christ. Because Jesus said that you will know them by their fruits.

I wouldnt worry to much, I think the best gift to has is whatever God gives you but I think we all need Wisdom just look at the stupidity in our world if you ever want to realize it just flip through the main channels on your TV for 1 min each at 7pm, it's amazing how much we (including myself) have to learn.

I will be researching this subject and let you know what I find out.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 8th 2008, 04:24 PM
14. Peter stood up with the eleven and raised his voice, speaking to the men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem. I believe that the Holy Spirit is speaking through Peter because in that verse, Peter says," heed my words". That's something that Jesus said so many times to people, 'take heed' , 'take heed to what I am saying'. ( in our study in the book of Mark that really sunk in, when Jesus was always saying, 'take heed'!)

15. Peter is addressing the part of the crowd that thought the disciples were drunk. He says they can't be drunk because it is only the third hour of the day.( okay, to me that would be 3:00am, but I have a feeling it's not, is it?)

16. Peter quote's the prophet Joel

17-21. When God said that He will pour out His Spirit on all flesh and that they will prophesy( speaking in tongues the wonderful works of God) The prophesy in verse 20. will be fulfilled during the tribulation, I don't know if it's towards the end or right before Jesus comes back. WHat will always be true is that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved! Amen and Amen!

22. Attest-to certify as genuine by signing as a witness. God attested Jesus to the people by miracles, wonders and signs. It is what God did through Him. I think Peter said that his audience would know these things because he said that Jesus did these things in their midst.

23. I learn that God is in control of all things. I learn that it was God's plan to deliver up our Lord Jesus for our sins. Oh this verse just makes me cry because I forget sometimes how powerful God is, that sound silly but it's true, I see Him as loving and merciful and kind, but I am reminded by this verse that He is all- powerful, all-knowing, a consuming fire. It's funny that I got all of this from verse 23.It's amazing how God can take one verse in scpripture and say so many things to me. I love you Lord! Peter says that Jesus was taken by lawless hands, and they crucified Him and put Him to death.

24. God raised Him up and loosed the pains of death.( This next part is incredible and amazing) It is not possible that He should be held by it.:cry: This is what I mean, when I talk about His power and how He is in control of all things, in heaven and on earth, seen and unseen.:cry:

Psalm 103:19 NKJV
The LORD has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all

Tanya~
Apr 8th 2008, 08:11 PM
Hehe as I was reading this from my bible I felt so drawn in I carried on reading until I realised id gone past the end of the passage for this study session!

That's a good thing, Faith. This passage should really be taken all together for the full context, but I can't do that and make our daily portions reasonable. :) We're going to find that a lot in Acts... breaking up larger passages into smaller sections. Reading ahead and reviewing what has already been covered is a great thing. :) You're doing a great job with the lessons. Everyone is! :)

grptinHisHand
Apr 8th 2008, 08:34 PM
Peter and the eleven other disciples stood, and Peter spoke loudly to address "fellow Jews and all who live in Jerusalem" that had gathered
*b. Is Peter speaking on his own behalf? Explain your answer.
On behalf of God, as he quoted OT Scripture about God's own words concerning this event.

Their comments that the disciples were drunk.
The time was only 9 a.m.
Joel

17-21.
a. Read through the passage and find the parts of this prophecy fulfilled on Pentecost. (Compare Acts 2:4, 11)
God "poured out His Spirit", they prophesied of the wonders of the Lord, and signs (tongues as of fire, and the rushing mighty wind) were given,
"before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord."
EVERYONE who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved.

affirm to be true or genuine
The OT Scriptures were fulfilled in Jesus' miracles, wonders, signs that He did by God's power.
Many of these same men had been in Jerusalem for the passover, as they were at this time for the Pentacost feast at this time. We see this in v 23 "and you, with the help of wicked men, put Him to death..."

He keeps His promises. It was God's 'set purpose and foreknowledge' that Jesus was put to death.

Hmmm. I think I just answered that one? It wasn't the people who nailed Jesus to the tree who were to blame, for it was God's plan as it was the only way for our sin-debt to be paid.

God raised Him from the dead, freeing Him from the agony of death, because Death could not hold Him!! Praise God.

g

tango
Apr 8th 2008, 10:00 PM
Among the maelstrom of the 120 disciples talking in tongues and the masses alternating between amazement and derision, Peter stood up to address them. Peter had been a leader since receiving the first divine revelation of the true identity of Jesus, and is now stepping into a more definitive leadership role.

It seems that Peter was speaking partly on his own behalf, and partly repeating the words of the prophet Joel. He told the crowd that the disciples were not drunk - it was only the third hour of the day (around 9am). Then he went on to quote from the prophet Joel regarding how God's Spirit would be poured out upon all people.

The evidence of the outpouring of the Spirit described here (and originally in Joel 2:28-32) describes the gift of prophecy in many different forms and then uses some more generic language ("I will show wonders in heaven above and signs in the earth beneath") to describe other miracles. "Signs in the earth" could easily include speaking in tongues, and could also include the signs described by Jesus in Mark 16:17-18.

The Greek for "signs" is σημεῖον / sēmeion, which suggests indications, especially ceremonial or supernatural.

Other parts of the prophecy would be fulfilled before the coming of the Lord. This, coupled with the descriptions of the sun being darkened and the moon turned to blood, is a reference to the second coming of Christ, and is very similar to Jesus' own words in Mark 13:24.

In the meantime God will extend the offer of salvation to anyone who calls on the name of the Lord. It's there for the taking!

A definition of "attest" from dictionary.com:

1.to bear witness to; certify; declare to be correct, true, or genuine; declare the truth of, in words or writing, esp. affirm in an official capacity: to attest the truth of a statement.
2.to give proof or evidence of; manifest: His works attest his industry.
3.to put on oath.
–verb (used without object)
4.to testify or bear witness (often fol. by to): to attest to the reliability of an employee.
–noun
5.Archaic. witness; testimony; attestation.

God had attested Jesus to the people by way of his works, his miracles and his deeds. Peter would expect the audience to know because many of them would have witnessed the miracles first-hand and the others would have heard about them. When Jesus was living nobody questioned the miracles he had performed - although some attributed them to Beelzebub nobody claimed they never happened.

Peter then went on to say that God had sent Jesus in the full knowledge of what was going to happen to him, that he was going to be taken by lawless hands and executed. Then after his death he was raised up again, because it was not possible for death to hold him.

Barnes' notes show that Peter had to admit that the Messiah had suffered great indignity in not only being put to death but being put to death in such a gruesome and humiliating manner. But he then went on to say that it had all been part of God's plan, and that God had loosed the chains of death to raise him up again.

tango
Apr 8th 2008, 10:24 PM
Quick advance warning - Phroggie and I won't be posting on Friday and may not make Thursday. If needs be we'll catch up early next week.

Phroggie
Apr 8th 2008, 10:30 PM
a. Who is speaking, and to whom? Peter is speaking to the crowd that had assembled listening to the apostles speaking in tongues about the wonders of God

*b. Is Peter speaking on his own behalf? Explain your answer. I think he is speaking on behalf of 'The 12' in answer to the scoffing by some people that they were drunk. I say this because, as I remember it, Peter had been regarded as the group's spokesperson in the past.

a. What specific reaction of the crowd does Peter address? The accusation that the apostles were drunk.

That it was only the third hour of the day (9am). How times have changed, time of day no longer makes any difference to those with an alcohol addiction.

a. Which prophet does Peter quote? Joel

17-21.
a. Read through the passage and find the parts of this prophecy fulfilled on Pentecost. (Compare Acts 2:4, 11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:4,%2011;&version=50;)) In verse 18 God said, 'Even on my servants both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.' Which is what happened in yesterday's lesson. The Holy Spirit came and rested on each person present. Although no women are specifically mentioned it is reasonable to assume there were a few in the group of believers.

b. When would some of the other parts of this prophecy be fulfilled? (verse 20) Before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. That time would be recognized because the sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood.

c. What will always be true in the meantime? (verse 21) Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. AMEN!:pp

a. Using a dictionary, define the word “attest.” Attest - to affirm to be correct, true or genuine; to bear witness; give testimony.

b. In what way did God “attest” Jesus to the people? By performing miracles, wonders, and signs through Jesus. Things only possible by God Himself.

Because, if I remember correctly, this group had been following Jesus since the beginning.
a. What do you learn about God? That Jesus was handed over to man by God's set purpose and foreknowledge of the things that would come to pass. Why? Because he loves us THAT much. Once again I find my favourite verse coming to mind

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

b. What does Peter say about Jesus’ death? That with the help of wicked men (those who opposed Jesus' teachings - i those pesky Pharisees we met in our study of Mark come to mind), they (the people) put Jesus to death by nailing him to the cross.

24. What happened after Jesus’ death, and why? God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.

And with that, this Phroggie is off to her lily pad for some sleep.

See you tomorrow!

menJesus
Apr 8th 2008, 10:35 PM
Here I am... this sure does make me think a lot - its all good! :)

Tanya~
Apr 8th 2008, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone, It is good to read your replies and see how the Lord is speaking to each of us in His word. :) We are so blessed!

I'm sick though. I have the flu that my son brought home last week, and am not up to preparing the next lesson. Pray for me that this won't last long, because the flu is misery. :(

Phroggie
Apr 8th 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone, It is good to read your replies and see how the Lord is speaking to each of us in His word. :) We are so blessed!

I'm sick though. I have the flu that my son brought home last week, and am not up to preparing the next lesson. Pray for me that this won't last long, because the flu is misery. :(

:pray::pray: Praying for a speedy recovery. Take it easy, get plenty of rest, fluids and some extra vitamin C wouldn't hurt.

Hope you feel better soon:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

RoadWarrior
Apr 8th 2008, 10:52 PM
Tanya, take care of yourself and get better! We can pick up again on Monday, if you need to take a break and heal.

:pray: Dear Lord, please help this to be a very mild case, and help Tanya to endure it with courage and patience. Help her to heal quickly.
:pray:

Kingsdaughter
Apr 8th 2008, 10:59 PM
Father, thank you for Tanya. I ask Lord that you will heal her body and bring her peace through this sickness, strengthen her Lord and provide help for all that she has to do throughout the day. In Jesus Name, amen.

Take your time Tanya. We love you dear:hug::hug::hug:

findingmyfaith
Apr 8th 2008, 11:04 PM
Interesting discussion about tongues... look forward to hearing what you find out!!

Okay, on with this :lol: hope you're all having as much fun as I am!!

a. Who is speaking, and to whom? Peter is speaking, to all that gathered there, the Crowd, the Jews
*b. Is Peter speaking on his own behalf? So that Him and the other apsostles will be belived, so that God's word will be heard and recognised... for Jesus!
a. What specific reaction of the crowd does Peter address? the fact some of the crowd believed them to be drunk
b. What reason does he give them why it couldn’t be as they supposed? Is only 9am!! Too early!!

a. Which prophet does Peter quote? Joel

17-21.
a. Read through the passage and find the parts of this prophecy fulfilled on Pentecost. (Compare Acts 2:4, 11) Holy spirit has been spread and given out, fire was seen? Acts 2:4 is the mighty wind inside the house and 2:11 is speaking foreign tongues - both which are from God
b. When would some of the other parts of this prophecy be fulfilled? When the sun darkends, and the moon turns red as blood, and the "lord" comes
c. What will always be true in the meantime? Those who call on His name will be saved! hurrah!

a. Using a dictionary, define the word “attest.” (my version doesnt use the work attest here, but i shall look it up anyway cause i don't know what it means!)
Authenticate, to be correct or true, provide evidence
b. In what way did God “attest” Jesus to the people? God clearly showed the wonder of Jesus to the people by the miracles Jesus performed and the signs He gave
*c. Why do you think Peter would say that his audience knew these things? Because it happend, right here in front of them, among them! They can't ignore them or disregard them because they are there, right where "these things" are happening!

a. What do you learn about God? He is all-knowing and all-powerful
b. What does Peter say about Jesus’ death? He was nailed to the cross

24. What happened after Jesus’ death, and why? God raised Jesus from the dead and set free his pain because even death couldn't hold Jesus down!

This continues to be an awesome study session. I feel i'm learning loads about God and feel like im finally really understand His word. I love it!!! :pp

findingmyfaith
Apr 8th 2008, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone, It is good to read your replies and see how the Lord is speaking to each of us in His word. We are so blessed!

I'm sick though. I have the flu that my son brought home last week, and am not up to preparing the next lesson. Pray for me that this won't last long, because the flu is misery.

Yeh, I love how we each have a slighty different take on the same word, as it is individualised for each of us! And this way rather than just getting one view, we can share and learn so much more. The one verse I'm thinking most of here is acts 2:23 - so far i've now learnt (or re-learnt) that God is all-knowing, all-powerful, SO loving, keeps his promises, He has purpose and planning in His will and generally AWESOME!! Even studing this tiny portion of the bible so far, I can't believe how jam-packed of stuff it is. The Bible is incredible and I think i've only just realised HOW much.

So anyways great work guys!! Keep it up!

And Tanya, you've worked so hard for us and we really can't thank you enough! You deserve a break anyways, even if your ill or not. I pray for a speeding recovery, and i'm sending lots of lemon & honey tea, a warm bed and hugs your way!!!

All the best :kiss:

philz1982
Apr 10th 2008, 12:55 AM

Men of Judea and those who dwell in Jerusalem.
*b. Is Peter speaking on his own behalf?
No
Explain your answer.
He is speaking the words of the Prophet Joel through the Holy Spirit.
That the apostles are drunk
Its only the 3rd hour of the day so probably like 9am?
Joel
17-21.
a. Read through the passage and find the parts of this prophecy fulfilled on Pentecost. (Compare Acts 2:4, 11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:4,%2011;&version=50;))
That they would be filled with the Holy spirit.
Before the coming of the Lord
That if you call on Christ you will be saved.

to bear witness to; certify; declare to be correct, true, or genuine; declare the truth of, in words or writing, esp. affirm in an official capacity: to attest the truth of a statement.
Through Miracles, Wonders, and Signs.
Because Christ fit the messianic prophecies
He is merciful and wants people to live so he sent Christ.
that it was preplanned and that it is temporrary
Jesus was revived and ascended to Heaven to clear the sins of others and to deliver the spirit of God.

philz1982
Apr 10th 2008, 01:02 AM

I know how this feels my daughter gave both my wife and I the flu once nothing like a good flu to make you feel like walking death. Prayin you get better. :pray::pray::pray:

renthead188
Apr 10th 2008, 04:18 AM
Tanya!

How great it is to be a part of this bible study... just last week I was discussing how difficult it is to read through Acts without getting confused... I don't have the discipline to remember all of the little details on my own... this Bible Study popped up a day or two after that conversation!

I pray that you will recover quickly Tanya!

I do apologize, but I would like to catch up everybody!

Also... I'm saving both the questions and my answers to seperate MSWORD files so that I can reference them and repeat the Bible Study in the future!

Chapter 1
a) The author is Luke. Luke was careful to present a careful account of what occurred. The recipient is Theophilus.
b) Luke is a Physician.
c) In Luke’s Gospel he recorded all that Jesus began both to do and teach.
a) Luke’s Gospel ended with Jesus’ physical ascension to heaven.
a) Between the time Jesus suffered and the time that he was taken up, Jesus presented Himself to the apostles, blessed them and spoke of The Kingdom of Heaven.
b) Jesus was with His apostles for forty days after his sufferings were over.
c) Jesus spoke to the apostles about The Kingdom of Heaven.
d) We learn that there were many infallible proofs of the resurrection.
e) This is important because we have a historically reliable author and contemporary eyewitness claiming that Jesus showed many infallible proofs of the resurrection.

a) The apostles were gathered together.
b) Jesus commanded His apostles to (1) Not depart from Jerusalem and (2) To wait for the promise of The Father.
c) Jesus is referring to The Father’s promise of The Holy Spirit.
a) John says that he baptized with water, but Jesus would baptize with The Holy Spirit.
b) This would occur within a few days.
a) The disciples wanted to know if Jesus was going to restore the Kingdom of Israel at that time.
b) The disciples had heard Jesus speak about the coming Kingdom of Heaven.
a) Jesus responded by telling them that it was not for men to know when The Kingdom of Heaven would come, because The Kingdom of Heaven is in the authority of The Father.
a) Jesus predicted that the apostles would receive power after The Holy Spirit came upon them.
b) The Power of The Holy Spirit is to bear witness of Jesus.
c) The apostles were to bear witness of Jesus in Jerusalem, Judea and to the ends of the earth.
a) Jesus ascended to Heaven by being taken up in a cloud.
10-11.
a) As Jesus ascended the disciples watched steadfastly.
b) Two men in white apparel stood by. They might have been Moses and Elijah!?!? Symbolizing the Law and the Prophets?
c) The two men asked the disciples why they bothered to gaze up at heaven.
d) The two men told the disciples that Jesus would return in the same manner. Jesus will return from a cloud.
e) This is an especially important detail because Jesus says that MANY will proclaim themselves to be Christ. Jesus claims that He will return from the clouds, just as he ascended and just as the two men told the disciples!
a) This event took place on the Mount of Olives, which is in Bethany.
b) After the ascension, the disciples went to Jerusalem because Jesus instructed them to wait there for the promise of The Father.
c) The Mount of Olives (Bethany) and Jerusalem are about a Sabbath day’s journey from each other.
a) The Upper Room is the place that they were staying.
b) The Upper Room was furnished and large.
** It is certainly possible that this was the same room as the Last Supper.
13-14.
a) The disciples (Peter, James, John, Andrew, Phillip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James-son of Alphaes, Simon the Zealot, and Judas-son of James) were staying at the Upper Room as well as Mary, other women and Jesus’ brothers.
b) They were praying.
a) The days were those that the disciples would await the promise in Jerusalem.
b) Peter stands up to speak.
c) There were about 120 disciples present for Peter’s speech.
a) We learn that prophecy must be fulfilled and that The Holy Spirit gives prophecy.
b) We learn that David had spoken by The Holy Spirit!
c) Judas betrayed Jesus.
a) Judas had obtained a part in the ministry.
18-19.
a) The “wages of iniquity” were thirty pieces of silver.
b) The money was used, by the Chief Priests, to purchase The Potters Field which came to be known as The Field of Blood.
c) After his death, Judas’ body was burst open.
d) Judas hanged himself.
a) Peter refers to Judas in the Psalms when he says “Let his dwelling place be desolate and let no one live in it. Let another take his office.”
21-22.
a) Peter states that the apostle must be an original witness of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection.
a) The disciples proposed two candidates.
b) The two candidates were Justus and Matthias.
24-25.
a) The disciples knew that God knew each man’s heart.
b) The disciples believed that God would choose the man that He wants to be the apostle.
c) The disciples expected the new apostle to take part in the ministry and apostleship.
d) Judas’ transgression had caused him to fall.
** His own place – eternal separation from God
a) The disciples cast lots to determine who would be the chosen apostle. The lot is cast into the lap, but it’s every decision is from The Lord.

Chapter 2
a) The disciples (Peter, James, John, Andrew, Phillip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James-son of Alphaes, Simon the Zealot, and Judas-son of James) were at Pentecost, as well as Mary, other women and Jesus’ brothers. In total they numbered 120.
b) This event happened at Pentecost
c) This happened in Jerusalem
2-4
a) They heard a sound from Heaven, like a rushing wind.
b) They saw tongues of fire upon each of them.
c) They were each filled with The Holy Spirit and began to speak in tongues.
a) Devout Jews that lived in Jerusalem witnessed this event.
a) The Jew’s initial reaction was confusion at seeing each of them speak in a different language.
a) The Jews were amazed and marveled seeing that the men that spoke different languages were all from Galilee!
8-11.
a) Each of the Jews heard in his own native language.
b) The apostles were speaking, in tongues, about the wonderful works of God.
12-13.
a) The crowd was split in their response, some were amazed and some dismissed it as drunkenness.
a) Peter spoke to the unbelieving Jews
b) Peter is speaking on behalf of all of the disciples
a) Peter says that the men would not be drunk.
b) Peter says that it was only the third hour of the day.
a) Peter quotes Joel.
17-21.
a) The prophecy of the pouring out of The Spirit was fulfilled that day.
b) The other prophecies will come to pass in the last days before The Lord’s return.
c) Whoever calls on the name of The Lord will be saved.
a) Attest = to bear witness to
b) God attested to Jesus in the anointing of The Holy Spirit in the Jordan River.
c) Peter would say that the audience knew these things because Jesus’ miracles were of no surprise to the Jews.
a) God has a determined purpose and foreknowledge.
b) Peter describes Jesus’ death occured by lawless hands.
a) Jesus was raised up after His death because death could not hold Him!

RoadWarrior
Apr 10th 2008, 04:50 AM
Welcome Renthead! Glad you could join us. We are praying for Tanya to recover quickly from a bout with the flu, so she will be well enough to write her excellent questions and commentary for our benefit.

menJesus
Apr 10th 2008, 08:33 AM
Praying for Tanya`s fast recovery from the flu.

Tanya~
Apr 10th 2008, 05:20 PM
Thank you for your well-wishes and prayers, everyone. :) God hears prayer. I only had the fever the one day. Still a little tired though, and coughing from the chest which is rather painful still. Even though I meant to put a lesson together yesterday, my head is still just kind of foggy or something. But I'm glad it gave you a chance to catch up renthead. Welcome to the study!

Kingsdaughter
Apr 10th 2008, 05:38 PM
It's nice to hear that you don't have a fever anymore Tanya:hug:

Welcome to the bible study Renthead!

Phroggie
Apr 10th 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Tanya, glad to hear you're 'on the mend' as we say over here. Will continue to pray that you're 100% very soon.:hug:

Welcome to the study Renthead! I've gotta ask, is your name linked to the musical of the same name?

Tanya~
Apr 11th 2008, 06:24 AM
Peter continues his sermon:

Acts 2:25-32 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%202:25-32;&version=50;)
25 For David says concerning Him:

'I foresaw the LORD always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad;
Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.
27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the ways of life;
You will make me full of joy in Your presence.'

29 "Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne, 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.
NKJV

25-28.
a. In this passage quoted from Psalm 16:8-11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2016:8-11;&version=50;), note what David wrote about what he had already experienced with God.
b. Which parts express a future hope that David believed he personally would experience? (Also see Job 19:23-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job%2019:23-27;&version=50;))
b. Which statement in this passage did David not at all apply to himself personally?

29. What point does Peter make about David’s physical condition?

a. What promise had been made to David by God? (See also Psalms 89:3-4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalms%2089:3-4;&version=50;) and 132:11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalms%20132:11;&version=50;))
b. By what means did God make this promise?

31. What was David foretelling about the Christ?

32. Whom does Peter identify as the Christ, and why?

*Read 1 Cor 15:20-23 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Cor%2015:20-23;&version=50;) and explain:
Why couldn’t David be resurrected before Christ (v. 22)?
When will David’s body be raised from the dead (v. 23)?

RoadWarrior
Apr 11th 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Tanya, glad you are feeling better, and well enough to write today's lesson!

25-28.
a. David in this Psalm expresses the awareness of God always being there, in the poetic language "before my face" as if David saw everything in the world through his own experience of being with God. His relationship with God was such that he always felt the LORD to be at his right hand, always there to be a help to him. God has taught David the ways of life, how to live the right way. His experience of being this close to God results in being filled with joy.
b. David shows that he believes in the afterlife, that death is not the end of himself. He believes in the resurrection, as Job also did. (This reminds me that the Jewish sect of the Sadducees in the time of Christ and following, did not believe in the resurrection. Peter is bringing this to light because Jesus has risen from the dead, thereby proving the truth of the resurrection. In the audience listening to Peter's sermon would have been such people, as well as others who did have belief and hope in resurrection.)

b. Which statement in this passage did David not at all apply to himself personally?
That the LORD will not allow His Holy One (meaning the Messiah) to see corruption.

29. Peter points out that David died and was buried, and people of that day still visited his tomb.

a. What promise had been made to David by God?
David had received the promise from God that his seed (descendants) would be "established forever" and that David's throne would be established to all generations, that "the fruit of his body" would be on the throne forever.

b. David was a prophet, which means that he spoke the words of God as those words were revealed to him. I'm reminded of this:
Lk 1:69 And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of His servant David,
70 As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets,
Who have been since the world began, NKJV

31. David was foretelling the truth about the Messiah, that He would not be like ordinary men whose bodies decay after death, that in fact He would not stay "in Hades" meaning He would not stay in death.

32. Jesus is the one, Peter says, who was dead and did not stay dead. His body did not decay and go back to dust as in normal in the world. This then, is the proof that Jesus is the Messiah. He fulfilled prophecy.

*Read 1 Cor 15:20-23 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Cor%2015:20-23;&version=50;) and explain:

Christ is the "firstfruits" and afterward those who follow Him.

"At His coming", which I think means what we understand as the "second coming" of Jesus, since we see His life in the flesh as His first coming to earth.

RoadWarrior
Apr 11th 2008, 03:55 PM
After reading your blog entry, a couple of thoughts are in my mind.

1. Lazarus' sister Martha said to Jesus, "by now he stinks!" which means that corruption sets in rather quickly.
Jn 11:39 Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, "Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days." NKJV

In the Muslim world, it is required even today that a person must be buried within a day of their death.

2. I've often wondered at this bit of scripture:
Mt 27:51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, 52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. NKJV

and now I am thinking that maybe David was one of the ones in this resurrection.

What do you think, Tanya, am I off base?

Tanya~
Apr 11th 2008, 04:14 PM
1. Lazarus' sister Martha said to Jesus, "by now he stinks!" which means that corruption sets in rather quickly.

Jn 11:39 Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, "Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days." NKJV

Yes, and the 4th day is a whole day longer than the 3rd day, when Jesus rose. I was thinking about the contrast between Judas and Jesus too. Judas' body corrupted very quickly and the end of it was just greusome. An exposed body decays much faster than one that is prepared and buried, as Lazarus' was, and Jesus -- though Lazarus probably didn't get 100 lbs. of materials like Jesus did. The 100 pounds of embalming spices was used usually for very important or special people.

2. I've often wondered at this bit of scripture:
Mt 27:51 Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, 52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; 53 and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. NKJV

and now I am thinking that maybe David was one of the ones in this resurrection.

I don't know, Peter didn't make any comments about David being raised -- in fact he seems to say the opposite in our passage in Acts -- Peter says that David is dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. That passage in Matthew is one of the more obscure ones and nothing more is said about it anywhere. We don't know who they were or what happened to them after the event. About all anyone can do is speculate about it.

menJesus
Apr 11th 2008, 05:36 PM
Here I am, all, enjoying this as usual...

About that Scripture in Matthew - I sure wish there was some way of knowing that... ;)

grptinHisHand
Apr 11th 2008, 06:44 PM
Trying again!!

25-28.
a. In this passage quoted from Psalm 16:8-11, note what David wrote about what he had already experienced with God - 'He is at my right hand;
His continuing presence, so that he would not be easily misled. 'not be shaken';

b. Which parts express a future hope that David believed he personally would experience? (Also see Job 19:23-27)
living again, resurrection; being joyful in the presence of God

That God 'will not allow Your Holy One (Jesus) to see corruption.

At the point of this sermon - that David 'is dead, buried, in his tomb'

a. What promise had been made to David by God? (See also Psalms 89:3-4 and 132:11)
That He would establish his descendants forever to be leaders. One of his descendants would sit forever on his throne. (This was about Jesus too.)

b. By what means did God make this promise?
by an oath

31. What was David foretelling about the Christ?
That He would be from David's lineage, that He would sit on the throne forever.

32. Whom does Peter identify as the Christ, and why?
The one they had witnessed crucified.
"this Jesus God has raised up", we saw this ourselves.
*Read 1 Cor 15:20-23 and explain:
Christ had to be resurrected first, the firstfruits, after that those that are Christ's will be resurrected upon His return.
Upon Christ's return.

Kingsdaughter
Apr 12th 2008, 09:38 PM
Acts2:25-32
25-28.a. David wrote in Psalm 16:8 that he has set the Lord always before him. And that the Lord is at his right hand and he will not be shaken. David put the Lord first in his life and since he set the Lord always before him, this means that David was following the Lord at all times.He says always, that means that he put the Lord first...always." I forsaw the Lord always before my face" so the Lord was always on his mind.
b. David's hope will be to see the Lord Jesus and be filled with joy in His presence.(I think that's the answer:hmm:)
c. Verse 27. of this passage in Acts does not apply to David. " For you will not leave my soul in Hades, nor will you allow Your Holy One to see corruption."

29. Peter says that David is dead and buried and that his tomb is with them to this day.

30. God promised David that from the fruit of his(david) body, according to the flesh, God will raise up the Christ to sit on his throne. God swore with an oath to David.

31. David foretold of Christ resurrection and that His soul would not be left in Hades nor will His flesh see corruption.

32. Peter identifies Jesus as the Christ, because he and the other disciples were witnesses to His resurrection.

* Christ has to rise first, because He is the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. David's body will be raised at Christ's Coming.

I accidentally posted this and started a new thread in New In Christ:lol::spin:...oops!

menJesus
Apr 12th 2008, 09:51 PM
What a relief! I KNEW I had just read that somewhere! Seeing it here made me think of a Twilight Zone moment - lost in time or something - lol Whew! ;) Here I am!

Kingsdaughter
Apr 12th 2008, 09:55 PM
What a relief! I KNEW I had just read that somewhere! Seeing it here made me think of a Twilight Zone moment - lost in time or something - lol Whew! ;) Here I am!

:lol:Oh that's so funny. I'm using that other one as an invite to all who want to come and join us. Just giving them a little taste of what it's like:P:D

menJesus
Apr 13th 2008, 10:42 PM
Oh, okay, that ought to work! ;)

Tanya~
Apr 14th 2008, 10:07 PM
:) Well better late than never. :) The study resumes here:
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=122150

Hopefully we can get a full week's worth of questions in!

Phroggie
Apr 15th 2008, 09:39 PM
25-28.
a. In this passage quoted from Psalm 16:8-11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%2016:8-11;&version=50;), note what David wrote about what he had already experienced with God. Reading over this passage it suddenly dawned on me what a beautiful testimony to David's faith it is. He says that the Lord is always with him and because of that, will not be be shaken. He goes on to describe what each of us (or at least me) feels in the knowledge that we are all to enjoy eternal life - glad heart, tongues shouting praises and a body that is filled with hope. Why? I think vv 27-28 says it all:

'Because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the paths of life; you fill me with joy in your presence.'

b. Which parts express a future hope that David believed he personally would experience? (Also see Job 19:23-27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job%2019:23-27;&version=50;)) The passage in Job is IMO filled with hope and faith; that after our mortal bodies have decayed, we will in our spiritual bodies, 'in the flesh' and with our own eyes, see God.:pp

b. Which statement in this passage did David not at all apply to himself personally? My study notes helped me out with this one. I'd like to share it now: 'Peter quoted from Psalm 16:8-11 a psalm written by David. He explained that David was not writing about himself because David had died and was buried (2:29). Instead, he was writing as a prophet (2:30) who spoke of the Messiah who would be resurrected. The emphasis here is that Jesus' body was NOT left to rot in the grave, but was, in fact, resurrected and glorified.'

David had died and was buried and that his tomb still stood.

a. What promise had been made to David by God? (See also Psalms 89:3-4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalms%2089:3-4;&version=50;) and 132:11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalms%20132:11;&version=50;)) God promised, on oath, that one of David's descendants would be placed on His throne.

'I will establish your line forever and make your throne firm through all generations.' Psalm 89:4

31. What was David foretelling about the Christ? Peter speaks of Christ's resurrection; that Jesus was not abandoned to the grave, nor did His body see decay. He LIVES!

32. Whom does Peter identify as the Christ, and why? Jesus is identified as the Christ. Peter confirms this in saying, 'God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact.'

Why couldn’t David be resurrected before Christ (v. 22)? Because Jesus had to die in order to give eternal life.
When will David’s body be raised from the dead (v. 23)? When Jesus returns.

findingmyfaith
Apr 17th 2008, 10:50 PM
Acts 2:25-32

25-28.
a. In this passage quoted from Psalm 16:8-11, note what David wrote about what he had already experienced with God. He has experienced God before him, close to him, and he rejoices because he or Jesus will not be left to rot, but spend eternal life with God, through God's teaching. I found this question difficult!
b. Which parts express a future hope that David believed he personally would experience? (Also see Job 19:23-27) That God would teach him how to live a holy life, and fill him with joy??
b. Which statement in this passage did David not at all apply to himself personally? Second part of verse 27... not letting Jesus rot

29. What point does Peter make about David’s physical condition? He died and was burried, and still is today

a. What promise had been made to David by God? (See also Psalms 89:3-4 and 132:11) Make a decendent of David a King also...
b. By what means did God make this promise? Erm..

31. What was David foretelling about the Christ? That the Christ would rise from the dead

32. Whom does Peter identify as the Christ, and why? Jesus, as God rose Him from the dead, as all there have seen!

Why couldn’t David be resurrected before Christ (v. 22)? because christ is the first. because of adam's sin we die, but then because of christ's death we live.
When will David’s body be raised from the dead (v. 23)? when Christ comes again

Found this one a tough one to get through, look forward to reading your replies, catching up and moving into week3!!

RoadWarrior
Apr 17th 2008, 11:01 PM
Acts 2:25-32

25-28.
a. In this passage quoted from Psalm 16:8-11, note what David wrote about what he had already experienced with God. He has experienced God before him, close to him, and he rejoices because he or Jesus will not be left to rot, but spend eternal life with God, through God's teaching. I found this question difficult!
b. Which parts express a future hope that David believed he personally would experience? (Also see Job 19:23-27) That God would teach him how to live a holy life, and fill him with joy??
b. Which statement in this passage did David not at all apply to himself personally? Second part of verse 27... not letting Jesus rot

29. What point does Peter make about David’s physical condition? He died and was burried, and still is today

a. What promise had been made to David by God? (See also Psalms 89:3-4 and 132:11) Make a decendent of David a King also...
b. By what means did God make this promise? Erm..

31. What was David foretelling about the Christ? That the Christ would rise from the dead

32. Whom does Peter identify as the Christ, and why? Jesus, as God rose Him from the dead, as all there have seen!

Why couldn’t David be resurrected before Christ (v. 22)? because christ is the first. because of adam's sin we die, but then because of christ's death we live.
When will David’s body be raised from the dead (v. 23)? when Christ comes again

Found this one a tough one to get through, look forward to reading your replies, catching up and moving into week3!!

You did fine Faith, some of these questions were hard! The next lessons should be easier. When a person is new to Bible study, some things are a bit harder to grasp, but as you continue, even those will get easier.

You are seeing the most important things, and hopefully the answers from others will help in the ones you didn't quite get. When Tanya is feeling completely well again, I am sure she will address some of the things that have come up in the last few days for all of us.

If you have specific questions that nag at your mind, though, please ask!