PDA

View Full Version : Oprahs New Church

Anya
Apr 9th 2008, 04:19 AM
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didnt see it anywhere. There is a new church thats goal is to "combine all the religions" into one great church. Its first meeting had about 200,00 members. The next week it was in the millions. The new pastor is Oprah :o Does this ring a bell to anyone? :P

You can Watch the video here -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2DMSNUkLJo

Oprahs site -
http://www2.oprah.com/obc_classic/webevent_registration.html

MrAnteater
Apr 9th 2008, 07:43 PM
Good links.

I've been beating the anti-Oprah drum for quite some time. There are far too many Christians that buy into the "She's such a good person" smokescreen and are following her down the doomed path of new age spirituality. This "religion" does not accept the principles of Christianity or accept Jesus as the Saviour.

Wake up Christian people! This is not the kind of person you want to be following or supporting.

HisLeast
Apr 9th 2008, 08:05 PM
Good links.

I've been beating the anti-Oprah drum for quite some time. There are far too many Christians that buy into the "She's such a good person" smokescreen and are following her down the doomed path of new age spirituality. This "religion" does not accept the principles of Christianity or accept Jesus as the Saviour.

Wake up Christian people! This is not the kind of person you want to be following or supporting.

For sure. Its shocking to me how many people miss the glaring double standard. You should "be spiritual" but you shouldn't believe anything specific about God!

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 08:12 PM
Does it really affect your day-to-day life? How much does anyone in your local area care about this church? Uh huh, exactly, zilch would be my answer. Focus on the people around you, the people in your immediate 'sphere of influence', work on them before you tackle the masses, which probably will never happen(no disrespect). After all its... one step at a time. Later.

HisLeast
Apr 9th 2008, 08:22 PM
Does it really affect your day-to-day life? How much does anyone in your local area care about this church? Uh huh, exactly, zilch would be my answer. Focus on the people around you, the people in your immediate 'sphere of influence', work on them before you tackle the masses, which probably will never happen(no disrespect). After all its... one step at a time. Later.

Sweet sounding lies are a threat to truth everywhere, and it should concern us that such a misleading doctrine is gaining social popularity. If you want to restrict our concerns only to things we can immediately influence, then take a look at how many people within your 'sphere of influence' respect Oprah and think positively abou the things she does and says.

No disrespect either... but exactly how SHOULD we react to theological poison in our society?

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 08:29 PM
In my experince people that say 'theology' don't really know what they believe themselves. They like to use big words that no one else can understand because it makes them look smart. I wouldn't call it poisin, because most of the people at this so called church probably aren't grounded Christians anyway. You shouldn't worry about it because it probably doesn't affect your day to day life anymore than i ever will. so...
later

Ninna
Apr 9th 2008, 08:32 PM
but exactly how SHOULD we react to theological poison in our society?

I know your question is not directed to me....but...we have to speak out, refuting it biblically. If we just stay in our own little circle and say nothing, this poison will spread.

Ninna
Apr 9th 2008, 08:42 PM
In my experince people that say 'theology' don't really know what they believe themselves. They like to use big words that no one else can understand because it makes them look smart.

You are painting with a very broad brush and making assumptions about others.

I wouldn't call it poisin, because most of the people at this so called church probably aren't grounded Christians anyway.

The people most likely are not Christian at all or at very best very deceived.

You shouldn't worry about it because it probably doesn't affect your day to day life anymore than i ever will. so...
later

We should pray for the lost and deceived and speak out against the false teachers deceiving the weak.

HisLeast
Apr 9th 2008, 08:44 PM
In my experince people that say 'theology' don't really know what they believe themselves. They like to use big words that no one else can understand because it makes them look smart.

Oh how nice of you to share that little gem of experience. The obvious implication being that I don't know what I believe and like to use big words.

I wouldn't call it poisin, because most of the people at this so called church probably aren't grounded Christians anyway.

So we're clear.
1) Its not truth
2) It encourages no investigation into the truth
3) Its gaining popularity

Do you advocate keeping silent on this because the people involved aren't grounded Christians? How does that help them or the cause of truth?

You shouldn't worry about it because it probably doesn't affect your day to day life anymore than i ever will.

Who said anything about worry? Speaking on behalf of the truth doesn't worry me at all.

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 08:45 PM
Do you worry about the Jehovah Witnesess, or the Mormons, or the Catholics, or the Methodist, or the Lutherens, what about Muslims? There are way more of them than any Oprahlites around you, what about them, do you make it a point to study and understand their differences, what they believe and why? If you want a wake up call as a Christian walk to your local gas station and share Christ with the worker behind the counter, find out where they are at. What about your friends, family, and co-workers? You problaby give more thought to Oprah's church that doesn't affect those people than you do their lives and beliefs. Poison, puh, keep yourself grounded and the people around you and it won't be a problem. Later.

NHL Fever
Apr 9th 2008, 08:47 PM
And it may spread even if we do say something or react, but nevertheless the call of the Christian is IMO to make a stand against falsity in a Christ-like and loving way. Oprah I believe simply represents the element in our society that just wants nice feelings, nice stories, cuddles and giggles all around and feeling good and 'empowered'. Ultimately its weak and spineless, because there are no consistent God-based values in there, only man-based. Oprah does some good things but to find spiritual reality in some kind of all-church is just silly. How can the directly conflicting tenants of all religions be reconciled? Just because that sounds like a heart-warming story to Oprah fans doesn't mean its possible.

I think the bottom line is that this church has been present in some form for many years - just that the parishioners have been sitting on their couch from 3:00 - 4:00 pm each day instead of in a building.

Ninna
Apr 9th 2008, 08:47 PM
Word of warning here.....discuss the topic - not other posters. If posts become personal they will be deleted and the thread will be closed.

Ninna
Apr 9th 2008, 08:49 PM
I think the bottom line is that this church has been present in some form for many years - just that the parishioners have been sitting on their couch from 3:00 - 4:00 pm each day instead of in a building.

I think you are absolutely correct.

threebigrocks
Apr 9th 2008, 08:51 PM
I've been saying for many years that Oprah is a cult. It's just now official.

If someone is to make a huge stand against Oprah, it needs to be the followers of Christ starting with those who follow her - start pruning the branches. God will lead those who are willing to speak out boldly, with truth and love and without exception to those who follow this mess and deal with things as they ought to be dealt with. We simply need to stand up and be willing to be used. This doesn't go just for all this Oprah craziness but for all things.

HisLeast
Apr 9th 2008, 08:52 PM
Do you worry about the Jehovah Witnesess, or the Mormons, or the Catholics, or the Methodist, or the Lutherens, what about Muslims?

Again, who said anything about worry? If you're asking whether or not I'll stand for truth when speaking on similar topics with non-Christians, then the answer is yes.

There are way more of them than any Oprahlites around you, what about them, do you make it a point to study and understand their differences, what they believe and why?

Yes I do as a matter of fact.

If you want a wake up call as a Christian walk to your local gas station and share Christ with the worker behind the counter, find out where they are at. What about your friends, family, and co-workers?

I do this as well. I share the gospel with friends, co-workers, and strangers when I get the opportunity. I find your suggestion that I don't interesting though. Why would you suggest I don't?

You problaby give more thought to Oprah's church that doesn't affect those people than you do their lives and beliefs. Poison, puh, keep yourself grounded and the people around you and it won't be a problem. Later.

Surprise! Another ad hominem. Exactly what would you suggest I do starchild? Shall we refrain from saying anything about this new Oprah movement. Should we hold our tongues and only speak when spoken to?

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 08:56 PM
you're overlooking the point im making, narrow minds are what have lead us to the path we are on today -anonymous

HisLeast
Apr 9th 2008, 08:57 PM
you're overlooking the point im making, narrow minds are what have lead us to the path we are on today -anonymous

Exactly what would you suggest I do starchild? Shall we refrain from saying anything about this new Oprah movement. Should we hold our tongues and only speak when spoken to?

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 09:10 PM
How do you know if a person even thinks it's a good idea? Why speak out about something if you don't even know if it applies to them? I don't go to everyone and tell them about why they should resist being a Muslim, unless they ask me about it, how do i know if they want to be one? How do i know if someone wants to go to this Oprah Church, or believes what she is saying? I suppose it could be used as a topic starter, "Have you heard about Oprah's new church?" but then your inviting having to explain the church if the person doesn't know about it, plus you have to explain the differences between that and the gospel. You're making more work for yourself and causing more headaches for the person by giving them to much to think about. Usually when someone tells me they believe something that i don't understand i say, "I don't know." then i go and research it so that i DO know. I suppose we're on the same page here, i just won't be studying and wondering about Oprah's church until someone i come into contact with asks.

p.s. it IS good to know where other groups stand, but since i haven't run into anyone that believes her, or talks about her, then i have many other biblical things to invest time into.

NHL Fever
Apr 9th 2008, 09:10 PM

For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

starchild
Apr 9th 2008, 09:33 PM
Study to show yourself approved... of every religious group? No, of the Bible, why? So that we can always be ready to give a defense for what we believe. If you're grounded in the word, then you won't have to study Oprah's beliefs, you can explain right of the bat why it disagrees with the Bible. Later

p.s. as for NHL Fever, 1) Why Hockey, my wife and i don't understand the sport!?! :D Secondly, narrow minds in not understanding what im saying, which, at the point i made the comment, had nothing to do with a personal walk with Jesus, but on witnessing... so... uh... don't quote unless you know what im talking about please

theabaud
Apr 9th 2008, 11:06 PM
Does it really affect your day-to-day life? How much does anyone in your local area care about this church? Uh huh, exactly, zilch would be my answer. Focus on the people around you, the people in your immediate 'sphere of influence', work on them before you tackle the masses, which probably will never happen(no disrespect). After all its... one step at a time. Later.This is something we absolutely need to worry about.

If this was 1850, and Oprah was doing this in Chicago and I lived in Little Rock I would totally not care because I was not in her "Sphere of Influence." The problem is that this is 2008, and Oprah's Sphere of Influence is GLOBAL. Her doctrine (sorry to use a theological word) touches millions everyday. Through her book club, her tv show her magazine and her website and now apparently a church she has the ability to reach out and touch the world.

Not only that, but this view has traction. Diversity training in the 80's and 90's sissified our people. We can't stand for anything without offending any one, and socially, offending another's sensibilities is a cardinal sin. More and more people every day are saying there are many ways to God, and we have to sound the trumpet.

You may not have thought about it, but as you are reading this, there are people in South Africa, England and in places I have not thought about that that are able to read this as well. I have a blog that is a failure but still manages to get read by 200 visitors a month. I have sent out emails that have been read by hundreds of people I have never met. I can post a video on youtube and I can train workers to reach the world. My sphere of influence is many times that which it was even 5 years ago. If i can keep one guy in timbuktu informed about something that will help him make a decision for God I will do it. Folks need to know about this universalist, namby pamby religion and stay away from it.

MrAnteater
Apr 9th 2008, 11:23 PM

It affects all Christians. Millions of people are buying into these lies, including Christians, and in the process people are turning their back on Christ to follow new age spirituality. Many people are so enamored with Oprah and she is held above reproach in the eyes of many. Combine that with her huge mass media appeal along with being one of the richest people in the country and it's a dangerous combination.

This is much more than some local crack pot reading fortunes or claiming to be Jesus. People in mass are following her and her new age religion like a cult.

Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. Ephesians 6:11

HisLeast
Apr 10th 2008, 12:26 AM
How do you know if a person even thinks it's a good idea?
People think its a good idea. Over here in the Oprah capital of the world (Chicago), its talked about quite a bit.

Why speak out about something if you don't even know if it applies to them? I don't go to everyone and tell them about why they should resist being a Muslim, unless they ask me about it, how do i know if they want to be one?
Where did you see me doing that? All we did was express concern over a growing heresy in the US and now we find ourselves on the defense.

How do i know if someone wants to go to this Oprah Church, or believes what she is saying? I suppose it could be used as a topic starter, "Have you heard about Oprah's new church?" but then your inviting having to explain the church if the person doesn't know about it, plus you have to explain the differences between that and the gospel. You're making more work for yourself and causing more headaches for the person by giving them to much to think about.
Again, why the assumption that I'm walking up to random people and talking about the Oprah church? The only time I've talked about it is HERE amongst Christian brothers and sisters. Why are you turning this into an issue that its not?

Usually when someone tells me they believe something that i don't understand i say, "I don't know." then i go and research it so that i DO know. I suppose we're on the same page here, i just won't be studying and wondering about Oprah's church until someone i come into contact with asks.

p.s. it IS good to know where other groups stand, but since i haven't run into anyone that believes her, or talks about her, then i have many other biblical things to invest time into.

Well I'm glad you have better things to invest time into. Though I'm saddened to see one of them is putting your brothers and sisters in Christ to the question for expressing concern over spiritual falsehoods. Good for you that you haven't run into anyone who talks about it. Some of us run into those people each and every day.

Anya
Apr 10th 2008, 02:37 AM
starchild, if this is a subject that doesnt interest you, and you care not to discuss, then you are welcome not to read or respond to it. Thats the great thing about message boards, all the posts are optional.

Also, 1 Timothy 2:1-3 says;
"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."
As a head of a church, Oprah is in authority, and therefore needs prayer.

When I heard the Oprah news it reminded me of the Laodicean church mentioned in Rev 3:14-22.

"It seems this church has forgotten that Jesus is the ultimate Authority, He is true, and He is the true Judge. They have forgotten that He is faithful, He is God Almighty, and He created all things.
It is the most heavily rebuked and deceived church in the history of the church age; however, it sees itself as "the best." It is the only church of the seven in which the entire church will be spit out (rejected).
This church is described as lukewarm, indifferent, not concerned with right and wrong, or with good and evil. They take a neutral position: one of "live and let live; don’t rock the boat; and don’t cause waves." They are trying to serve two masters—God and self (or the world). They are positive they are right. At best, their understanding of God’s Word, obedience, sin, repentance, and the fruits of the Spirit, is only lukewarm.
It is the worst of all the seven churches, yet the most confident. They claim they are rich, increased with goods, and have need of nothing; however, God judges them to be wretched."
(Compliments of http://www.parentalguide.com/Documents/Bible_Prophecy/Prophecy_verses_part1.htm)

Ashley274
Apr 10th 2008, 02:48 AM
I am disappointed in Oprah I always thought she was a Christian ...I will beware and also pray for her and those she may influence.

ilovemetal
Apr 10th 2008, 02:49 AM
Oprah should debate Dinesh D'Souza (author of 'what's to great about Christianity). he's a smare cookie that guy is.

( http://tothesource.org/ )

servantsheart
Apr 10th 2008, 03:22 AM
Sweet sounding lies are a threat to truth everywhere, and it should concern us that such a misleading doctrine is gaining social popularity. If you want to restrict our concerns only to things we can immediately influence, then take a look at how many people within your 'sphere of influence' respect Oprah and think positively abou the things she does and says.

No disrespect either... but exactly how SHOULD we react to theological poison in our society?
I am in agreement with all of you that Oprah is setting thousands up and she will take them 'down' for eternity with her if she does not see the light.
It is so sad to see how many will follow blindly along with someone just because of their money and position in this world.
Your last question about "exactly how should we react to theological poision in our society". I believe everyone who is covered in the blood of Jesus has to stand up for Jesus Too many do not know the truth between heaven and hell and being saved or just being religious. We are too afraid to speak the truth of God's message.
Our rights to speak God's name and pray to him, and attend the church of our choice, etc., have taken backstage as we sit back and let the "i evolved from plant/animal darwin peanuts, shove us into the background while they have taken center stage with the liberal believers and new age thinkers.
Don't you just know Father God is sitting up in heaven rolling his eyes and tapping his foot, having a good laugh at all of these worldly minded people. Those in 'new age', Scientology, etc. It seems like it would take more effort to believe some of the far out trash they want to accept then to just believe by faith in Jesus.
On April 16 my church is having Karen Pressley come and speak. She is the former top Scientologist of 18 years, now a Christian, telling of how she escaped the false religion of Scientology. My family and I are very interested in hearing her speak. I would pay to see this person any day over paying to sit through a show with Oprah! I looked at ther web site one day and was going to do a little fighting back but was worn out just trying to figure out how in the world to even begin to reach these people...they have no common sense and are totally of this world...:(

threebigrocks
Apr 10th 2008, 01:16 PM
Sounds like a thread for A&E in the making! ;)

daughter
Apr 10th 2008, 01:39 PM
For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
I was just about to post that scripture!

narrow minds are what have lead us to the path we are on today -anonymous

Any sound bites that make the "narrow way" seem like a bad idea are not anonymous, they are anti Christ.

Wow, I turned into a fundy. :lol: But it's biblically true.

Athanasius
Apr 10th 2008, 02:06 PM

How many people in your local area care enough to watch Oprah? A lot more than 'zilch'. That is why it's important.

TSP
Apr 10th 2008, 02:32 PM
I honestly dont see or understand how this could possibly work.

walking4him
Apr 10th 2008, 02:34 PM
I can't believe that Oprah said these things. I'm worried since I know many young women my age who watch Oprah and look up to her. She has a almost daily audience of millions. We need mainstream to pick up on this before it's to late. I used to believe everyone was entitled to their own opinions, but when someoen says that there're multiple ways to God that's not right.

walking4him
Apr 10th 2008, 02:35 PM
I honestly dont see or understand how this could possibly work.
I've told every one of my friends about this and I'm going to write to my local television stations about airing her program in my area.

diffangle
Apr 10th 2008, 03:03 PM
Good for you that you haven't run into anyone who talks about it. Some of us run into those people each and every day.

Yeah I just had a 67 year old Christian co-worker tell me the other day that she was going to get the book. :( I emailed her with some info on it and she defended it saying it was "just a self-help book" and that she was going to read it for herself instead of taking others word for it. I told her that I'd be interested to know if the following quotes are indeed from the book...

“There is no sin. . . “9
A “slain Christ has no meaning.”10
“The journey to the cross should be the last ‘useless journey.’”11
“Do not make the pathetic error of ‘clinging to the old rugged cross.’”12
“The Name of Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol. . . . It is a symbol that is safely used as a replacement for the many names of all the gods to which you pray.”13
“God is in everything I see.”14
“The recognition of God is the recognition of yourself.”15
“The oneness of the Creator and the creation is your wholeness, your sanity and your limitless power.”16
“The Atonement is the final lesson he [man] need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation.”17

MrAnteater
Apr 10th 2008, 03:05 PM
I can't believe that Oprah said these things. I'm worried since I know many young women my age who watch Oprah and look up to her. She has a almost daily audience of millions. We need mainstream to pick up on this before it's to late. I used to believe everyone was entitled to their own opinions, but when someoen says that there're multiple ways to God that's not right.

Unfortunately, the "mainstream" media will never do it. They are as anti-Christian as they come and slobber all over everything she does.

It gets back to my other point. Nobody dares question Queen Oprah and that what's sets her apart from others. When you have a person seemingly immune to criticism its dangerous.

Ninna
Apr 10th 2008, 03:19 PM
I am moving this to Apologetics & Evangelism.

Let's discuss - how do we refute this and defend our faith?

walking4him
Apr 10th 2008, 03:26 PM
We need to tel people about the truth and the way. We need to show people not only examples in the Bible that shows that what she's teaching and spreading is not the way.

mcgyver
Apr 10th 2008, 03:29 PM

Hmmm.....

There is another saying that is more applicable here:

All that it takes for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

If Christians will not take a stand for Biblical truth, who will?

As far as refuting Oprah...We need to proclaim the truth of the Word of God, and let the Holy Spirit do His work...All the "logical" arguments in the world will come to nothing, but the Word of God is "Living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword" (Heb 4:12)...Stand on the solid rock and don't back down!

JMO

TSP
Apr 10th 2008, 03:56 PM
What I mean is how could this work being that a Christian’s way to God isn’t the same as a Muslims belief and there way to Allah. A Hindus way to there gods isn’t the same as a Jews way to God and so on and so on. Obviously people are attracted to it because it’s Oprah but honestly how could this idea work? It isn’t logical in my head.

threebigrocks
Apr 10th 2008, 04:19 PM
What I mean is how could this work being that a Christian’s way to God isn’t the same as a Muslims belief and there way to Allah. A Hindus way to there gods isn’t the same as a Jews way to God and so on and so on. Obviously people are attracted to it because it’s Oprah but honestly how could this idea work? It isn’t logical in my head.

For a Christian firmly rooted - it isn't logical. For those on shifting sands or the worldly it's a revelation and they will believe and adopt the Oprah way simply because she says it's good. She has been made into a god by those who are fans.

threebigrocks
Apr 10th 2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah I just had a 67 year old Christian co-worker tell me the other day that she was going to get the book. :( I emailed her with some info on it and she defended it saying it was "just a self-help book" and that she was going to read it for herself instead of taking others word for it. I told her that I'd be interested to know if the following quotes are indeed from the book...

“There is no sin. . . “9
“The Name of Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol. . . . It is a symbol that is safely used as a replacement for the many names of all the gods to which you pray.”13
“The oneness of the Creator and the creation is your wholeness, your sanity and your limitless power.”16
“The Atonement is the final lesson he [man] need learn, for it teaches him that, never having sinned, he has no need of salvation.”17

Any reply? This could give valuable insight to how people view and balance the faith and this stuff. Strengthen the body - those who can be drawn away and our fight against this will be more fruitful. We need to see those caught up in this mess and those who can be lured from faith by it as equally urgent to reach.

TSP
Apr 10th 2008, 04:40 PM
Next she is going to buy some land in Guyana, and issue everyone to drink red cool aid. This is how it all starts man, soon her mind will elevate and she will believe she was sent by God and has a direct line with him. Makes me sad, so very sad.

theabaud
Apr 10th 2008, 04:46 PM
Let's discuss - how do we refute this and defend our faith?We call them sissies and mock them. :lol:

mcgyver
Apr 10th 2008, 04:48 PM
Any reply? This could give valuable insight to how people view and balance the faith and this stuff. Strengthen the body - those who can be drawn away and our fight against this will be more fruitful. We need to see those caught up in this mess and those who can be lured from faith by it as equally urgent to reach.

Once again, by simply staying true to the Gospel Message, IMO...

What she has done isn't anything new...It's a mis-mash of Greek philosophy, Hinduism, and western New-age beliefs...:rolleyes:

mcgyver
Apr 10th 2008, 04:55 PM
To follow up with another thought....

People who reject Jesus do so not because there isn't any evidence or proof, they do so because our Lord requires commitment, repentance of sin, and a change of life...

IMO it's an old case of wanting to "have your cake and eat it too.."

As I was recently reminded of by a good friend, Ezekiel 33 reminds us that we are to be "watchmen at the walls" to give warning...what people do with that warning is on them...

diffangle
Apr 10th 2008, 05:01 PM
No reply. I just pray that by giving her that list, it will plant seeds so that when she does read them in the book that they will stand out and confirm the info I gave her. I'm hoping she'll then reject it as some sort of "truth" or "self-help" thing... I'll give her some time and then follow up with her.

You're right about the urgency to reach those believer's who can be led astray. :pray:

threebigrocks
Apr 10th 2008, 05:10 PM
Once again, by simply staying true to the Gospel Message, IMO...

What she has done isn't anything new...It's a mis-mash of Greek philosophy, Hinduism, and western New-age beliefs...:rolleyes:

Oh, I agree with you! But to those who are vulnerable, it can be good to know why so that we can share scripture to build them up where the weakness is.

And I called some friends a few years ago who were getting into the whole Secret thing. It is goofy as you said - mish-mash is a good word!

daughter
Apr 10th 2008, 05:24 PM
It's tragic... I know a Christian who was destroyed by the whole secret thing. He used to run a very sound bible believing Christian forum. A few months after reading the Secret he had banned all the Christians, including his own father (a missionary) and displayed a tolerance for all faiths... except Bible believing Christianity. We're bigots, don't you know... It's not like he was a new Christian. He'd been a Christian twenty years, involved in music ministry etc. He'd seemed solid in his faith... but a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

Maybe he always had secret doubts etc... but now the only authority he believes is whatever "man" thinks, and anyone who trusts "the book" is deluded. His forum is now a "faith" forum, not a Christian one, and the only Christians posting there are universalists - though there are perhaps a few very careful genuine Christians. They get booted out though any time he detects them. Like I say, banning his own father, who he had previously got on very well with, showed us how far he'd gone.

We need to pray for such people. The Oprah's of this world do a lot of damage. It's not right for us to stand there and think it doesn't matter.

Yes, error will increase, there's nothing we can do to stop the rise of apostasy in the last days. But we can at least save one or two souls along the way.

cheech
Apr 10th 2008, 05:35 PM
I am moving this to Apologetics & Evangelism.

Let's discuss - how do we refute this and defend our faith?

We must study the Bible and know what God's word says so when we encounter people who believe and follow these types of beliefs, we can speak the truth to them through the word of God. We can plant that seed, even water it, but it will be up to God to make it grow. That's where much prayer will come in for whomever we witness too.

philz1982
Apr 10th 2008, 05:53 PM
It really hurts me to read this because I went on the Opera forums about this and I see people who say they are new christians saying this doesnt feel or sound right to me and then everyone is telling them its ok its ok just let your heart lead you and these christians are too new to realize this is what got us in trouble in the first place.

http://www.oprah.com/community/thread/50188

Also this sparks a discussion between my wife and I and her believing God wont send some one to hell as long as they are a good person because wouldnt bad people like I myself used to be go to hell instead of "good" people.

TSP
Apr 10th 2008, 06:18 PM
What exactly is the core of the belief system? What rules do they follow, is Oprah going to write a book and people follow her teachings??? I honestly know nothing of this "church" sounds like a cult to me. Can someone give me a little more information about this.

John146
Apr 10th 2008, 06:22 PM
It really hurts me to read this because I went on the Opera forums about this and I see people who say they are new christians saying this doesnt feel or sound right to me and then everyone is telling them its ok its ok just let your heart lead you and these christians are too new to realize this is what got us in trouble in the first place.

http://www.oprah.com/community/thread/50188

Also this sparks a discussion between my wife and I and her believing God wont send some one to hell as long as they are a good person because wouldnt bad people like I myself used to be go to hell instead of "good" people.

Just on the first page of that thread you can read comments like "I guess I need to learn to believe in myself" and "Have faith in yourself.". That's what the new age movement is all about. Oprah and her new age cronies are deceiving millions. We have to try to do what we can to expose the lie and help lead people out of that deception.

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. - Ephesians 5:11

21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. - Jude 1:21-23

NHL Fever
Apr 10th 2008, 06:36 PM
Just on the first page of that thread you can read comments like "I guess I need to learn to believe in myself" and "Have faith in yourself.". That's what the new age movement is all about. Oprah and her new age cronies are deceiving millions. We have to try to do what we can to expose the lie and help lead people out of that deception.

That's the crux of the doctrine of Joel Osteen as well for example. Its about what you can do and how your prosperity and material/workplace blessings are a barometer for your spiritual health. Real truth about hardship and suffering that also occurs is ignored in favor of feel-good stuff. Don't get me wrong, learning to think positively can be absolutely decisive in how you move through life, but biblical truth is truth, and no half or combo version of it can substitute.

John146
Apr 10th 2008, 07:16 PM
That's the crux of the doctrine of Joel Osteen as well for example. Its about what you can do and how your prosperity and material/workplace blessings are a barometer for your spiritual health. Real truth about hardship and suffering that also occurs is ignored in favor of feel-good stuff. Don't get me wrong, learning to think positively can be absolutely decisive in how you move through life, but biblical truth is truth, and no half or combo version of it can substitute.

It's funny you say that because I was going to mention in my post that people like Joel Osteen and Rick Warren teach very similar things as Oprah and her favorite self-help new age gurus, but decided not to since the topic of the thread was specifically about Oprah.

Athanasius
Apr 10th 2008, 09:01 PM
*Must resist temptation to sign up on Oprah's board. . . . Success*

So yeah, I've been watching her teaching episodes and... Can you blame people for being drawn in? You must admit, it does sound pretty tantalizing. Now I'm fine with people discrediting and refuting the book, but don't bash it if you haven't read it, seriously. If that's the case, just stay away from it. She's not teaching something new, she's only popularizing it that much more.

philz1982
Apr 10th 2008, 09:49 PM
*Must resist temptation to sign up on Oprah's board. . . . Success*

So yeah, I've been watching her teaching episodes and... Can you blame people for being drawn in? You must admit, it does sound pretty tantalizing. Now I'm fine with people discrediting and refuting the book, but don't bash it if you haven't read it, seriously. If that's the case, just stay away from it. She's not teaching something new, she's only popularizing it that much more.

The issue is the message but at the same time its that someone as influential as her is preaching it, well rather supporting it. See God gives people like her the wealth and position they have for a reason but often times they use them for themselves. My wife was saying why would God send Oprah to hell if shes doing good for people. I tried to explain its not about the good you do works can't get you in. Its your beliefs and her counter is well if someone murders and then accepts Christ they get to go but she doesn't. I try to explain if that person is really repentful then they'd stop sinning.

All this is to show how a person of Oprahs position can lead people astray. My wife is a really smart woman but even she gets confused when it comes to stuff like this.

MrAnteater
Apr 10th 2008, 10:31 PM
It's funny you say that because I was going to mention in my post that people like Joel Osteen and Rick Warren teach very similar things as Oprah and her favorite self-help new age gurus, but decided not to since the topic of the thread was specifically about Oprah.

No, your not quite right. Osteen and Warren do not teach universalism and from everything I've seen they accept Jesus as the Saviour. You can disagree with their theology but it's nothing like the new age Oprah beliefs that there are multiple paths to God (Muhammad, Buddha, spirit guides, ect).

Athanasius
Apr 10th 2008, 10:40 PM
All this is to show how a person of Oprahs position can lead people astray. My wife is a really smart woman but even she gets confused when it comes to stuff like this.

Because intellect isn't part of the picture. Go check out 2 Corinthians 4:4, it's all about being spiritually blinded by Satan.

2 Cor 4:4
In whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

NHL Fever
Apr 11th 2008, 02:23 AM
No, your not quite right. Osteen and Warren do not teach universalism...

I wouldn't be so sure about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwYU2pmWYQ

HisGrace
Apr 11th 2008, 02:56 AM
Back to Oprah. She has a very powerful cultish following. She gives away millions and has many some adoring die-hard fans.. She is going to be a very strong force to reckon with. All we can do is pray that she sees the true light and God brings her back to her roots.

Like the book says we can warn people "Don't drink the kool-aid."

RZ06
Apr 12th 2008, 08:28 PM
Have you guys seen this video?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4LLwkgmqA

It was posted on another site I go to b/c someone mentioned the book, A New Earth.

daughter
Apr 12th 2008, 08:55 PM
AAARGH... it gets worse and worse.

Sorry... I'm in shock. Everytime I look at what she believes, it gets worse.

menJesus
Apr 12th 2008, 10:17 PM
Oprah needs PRAYER. People, we must seriously pray for her, for God to turn her heart back to the truth. This is not just for Oprah, its for the thousands and thousands she is leading astray with this teaching. She is taking them right down with her. :(

WE cannot do anything. But we can pray. GOD can do anything, and He will hear our prayers. Some of Oprah`s "followers" were no doubt God`s people, too... plus the new ones she has ensnared with this...

diffangle
Apr 12th 2008, 11:16 PM
Have you guys seen this video?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4LLwkgmqA

It was posted on another site I go to b/c someone mentioned the book, A New Earth.
I think it's the same one that's posted in the OP. Just to point out something she said... she said she started rethinking things when her preacher said YHWH is a jealous God, she said "wait a minute, God is jealous of me"... no Oprah, He's jealous of other gods and doesn't want His people worshipping them(1st Commandment)... it's sad b/c she doesn't realize that now she's receiving other gods("the self") into her belief.

HisGrace
Apr 12th 2008, 11:41 PM
It certainly is sad that Oprah took 'God is a jealous God out of context.' So many people are tripped up by misinterpretations. Jealousy is usually because of envy, but that isn't what God is speaking about.

God is rightly jealous when worship, praise, honor, or adoration is given to idols. This is precisely the jealousy the Apostle Paul described in 2 Corinthians 11:2, "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy..."

1 Cor. 11: I hope you will put up with a little more of my foolishness. Please bear with me. 2 For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband—Christ. 3 But I fear that somehow your pure and undivided devotion to Christ will be corrupted, just as Eve was deceived by the cunning ways of the serpent.

MrAnteater
Apr 13th 2008, 12:31 AM
WE cannot do anything. But we can pray. GOD can do anything, and He will hear our prayers. Some of Oprah`s "followers" were no doubt God`s people, too... plus the new ones she has ensnared with this...

Pray and not watch her show or buy any of her products.

servantsheart
Apr 13th 2008, 04:50 AM
I think it's the same one that's posted in the OP. Just to point out something she said... she said she started rethinking things when her preacher said YHWH is a jealous God, she said "wait a minute, God is jealous of me"... no Oprah, He's jealous of other gods and doesn't want His people worshipping them(1st Commandment)... it's sad b/c she doesn't realize that now she's receiving other gods("the self") into her belief.

Oprah has become her own god.

ESTHER 4HIM
Apr 13th 2008, 04:59 AM
Oprah has so much influence on the public.She is televised, almost daily.People who are not rooted could become convicted of her message and teachings...All Christians should be concerned about false teachers!
But there were also false prophets among the people,
even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them,and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 Peter 2:1 NKJV

menJesus
Apr 13th 2008, 09:39 AM
Pray and not watch her show or buy any of her products.

I do not watch her show. I do not speak of her unless whoever I am around brings her up, but then I certainly do tell them that she needs prayer, because what she is doing is so very wrong.

And I would never, ever support her by buying anything she sells, whatever it may be...

Do they get upset when I tell them she is going against the Bible? Well, yes, some of them.

Do I care about that? Well, no. Their soul is more important to me than their friendship.

servantsheart
Apr 14th 2008, 07:17 AM
I like the idea of Christians not watching Oprah's show and not purchasing any of her products. But most of all for them to stand up to those who do watch her and try to discuss her, by telling them the truth about her and what she is doing with this new age stuff and how harmful it is.
At church this evening my Pastor acturally said what I did yesterday about her...that she has become her own god.
Maybe we could start a campagin to write to her station manager and complain about the programing....would it help? I would be willing to send a note about the offense of her new age religion. Just thinking on it....:hmm:

menJesus
Apr 14th 2008, 09:19 AM
I hate to even say this here, but... in a conversations I had with others a month or so ago, someone brought up Oprah and Dr. Phil, and the conversations was long and winding, but the gist of it was, that Dr. Phil would never say anything bad about Oprah again, because she owned his program and station, and could pull the plug on him anytime she wanted to.

I have wondered ever since then, if this is true, and also, the thought occured to me after that conversation, that Oprah may well be planning on starting her own religious network, in order to promote this new "religion" she has. She certainly has the means to do so, but oh, how disastrous this would be! She already has such a devoted following...

HisLeast
Apr 14th 2008, 01:53 PM
Another scary thing: ask the avg person who they think is most charitable. I'll bet cash-money they say something like "Oprah" or "Brad Pitt". Hollywood is quickly gaining the reputation of "leading the charge" when it comes to charitable giving and bringing attention to good causes.

How sad is it that our churches (the good ones anyway) spend a good amount of their money doing the same thing, yet aren't given the same credit as Hollywood celebrities that give only a pittance of what they earn.

(Not to disparage the charity of various celebrities. All charity should be celebrated. What I don't get is society's placement of celebrity charity as being more impressive than that of the church)

servantsheart
Apr 14th 2008, 08:16 PM
Another scary thing: ask the avg person who they think is most charitable. I'll bet cash-money they say something like "Oprah" or "Brad Pitt". Hollywood is quickly gaining the reputation of "leading the charge" when it comes to charitable giving and bringing attention to good causes.

How sad is it that our churches (the good ones anyway) spend a good amount of their money doing the same thing, yet aren't given the same credit as Hollywood celebrities that give only a pittance of what they earn.

(Not to disparage the charity of various celebrities. All charity should be celebrated. What I don't get is society's placement of celebrity charity as being more impressive than that of the church)

This is just the times we are living in. But it is very sad to say the very least. Money speaks!!! It is a part of the 'big show' they put on to display their wealth. It strokes their ego. I think it is the non-churched who fall all over the celebrities out of envy. I am sure they (the celebs) would be surprised by the giving of some of God's saints. Not only in tithes but in their own time spent working within their church and communities to purpose God's message.

HisGrace
Apr 14th 2008, 09:02 PM
I sent an e-mail to her, telling how sad it was that she took "God is a jealous God" out of context. I am not really expecting an answer back. Will let you know if I do.:2cents:

John146
Apr 14th 2008, 09:18 PM
No, your not quite right. Osteen and Warren do not teach universalism and from everything I've seen they accept Jesus as the Saviour. You can disagree with their theology but it's nothing like the new age Oprah beliefs that there are multiple paths to God (Muhammad, Buddha, spirit guides, ect).

Well, I don't want to argue, but do a little research on them and you'll see what I mean. Osteen, on national television, was asked by Larry King if he believed that Muslims and Jews (religious Jews) who don't accept Christ would go to heaven. And he answered "You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know."

jesus-disciple
Apr 15th 2008, 12:17 AM

You bet it affects my day-to-day life. It always deeply concerns me when my family and friends get involved in a religion other than the one brought to us by our Savior, Jesus. Their eternal soul is my deep concern. Well, it bothers me. I have children who are not saved. My kids are grown, but they're still vulnerable to this concept, and I don't want them involved in it.

We should always be concerned about the souls of everyone. Should an unbeliever join Oprah's new age, that means he/she is searching. A Christian might save the unbeliever's soul by telling him/her the error of that way; that he/she is on the path to destruction. Do you know what it means to be new age? The link at the bottom of my post tells you what new age believes.

13) “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14) “For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14.

New age is growing by leaps and bounds and it's in your city. Does it not bother you that your child, if you have one, or family, or friends may get inducted into this devious deception?

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c9824ced79a5060e7918

BibleGirl02
Apr 15th 2008, 09:24 AM
Sounds like just simply another new age cult. Nothing new here. Sounds a lot like Unitarian Universalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism) if you ask me.

HisLeast
Apr 15th 2008, 08:18 PM
Sounds like just simply another new age cult. Nothing new here. Sounds a lot like Unitarian Universalism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism) if you ask me.

It does sound that way. But when was the last time a new age cult has had such a magnetic, influential, and well loved leader?

John146
Apr 16th 2008, 08:02 PM

What's new is that this new age teaching has never really caught on with the masses like it is now thanks to a high profile person like Oprah promoting it. That's the issue here. It might not be entirely new, but it's influence is growing like never before, at least in the U.S.

starchild
Apr 23rd 2008, 08:15 PM
Why doesn't it bother me? "Be anxious for nothing but in all things through prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6
Get grounded in what you believe first, when someone comes along that believes differently you'll be able to point out the "flaws" of their "system" immediatley, from the Bible. Ack, I am repeating myself.

Later.

tofte
Apr 24th 2008, 05:07 AM
I too am very concerned about the New Age movement that seems to be sweeping the country. Yes, I agree as Christians we need to wake up, we need a BIG wakeup. I don't think we realize how serious this is. As Christians I think we need to ask ourselves why are so many people drawn to this. The Bible says, faith, hope and love but the greatest of these is LOVE. As Christians we are fairly good as loving our brothers and sisters in Christ but how well are we loving those in other denomination or non-Christians. Are we known for our love or for our judgement? We need to honestly look at ourselves and then ask what is it that is attracting people to this New Age movement. I firmly believe that Jesus is irresistable, people need to see Him in us but before that can happen we need to really know Him. We are all sinners and I think as Christians we often forget that or think that in some way we are a bit better than non-believers. We're not. We are just better off because the price for our sin has been paid. Once you truly own your sin it is impossible to be anything but humble and compassionate. Yes, sexual immorality is sin but so is pride, greed and many other sins . As Christians we need to repent of our sins and then maybe we can offer the sweetness of love, compassion, forgiveness that draws the world to our Savior,

HisGrace
Apr 24th 2008, 02:00 PM
What I find equally disturbing is that many are thoroughly confused about what is New Age and what is not. I agree that Oprah is New Age, but we have to have a very intimate relationship with Jesus, in order not to misjudge and perhaps miss out on some good sound spiritual inspiration from legitimate preachers.

Revinius
Apr 24th 2008, 03:33 PM
cults have the habit of spreading when they have a massive media platform (Oprah).

walking4him
Apr 25th 2008, 04:03 PM
I heard that Tom Cruse I gonna be on Oprah sometimes soon again.

Revinius
Apr 26th 2008, 06:05 AM
I heard that Tom Cruse I gonna be on Oprah sometimes soon again.

Two crazies in a room dont equal one sane person :P

lynngehringer
May 4th 2008, 12:01 AM
Last week, I emailed the Oprah Show, which really means nothing, but made me feel that at least I did something. It was not all that long ago, shortly before "The Secret", where Oprah announced that she finally set herself free when she "surrendered all". I do not remember who the singer was, but she sang "I Surrender All" while Oprah sat in the audience singing along with tears in her eyes and nodding her head. For educational purposes, here are the lyrics to the song.

All to Jesus I surrender
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In his presence daily live.

I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me Jesus, take me now.
I surrender all, I surrender all;
All to thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

- Words by Judson W. Van DeVenter, 1896
- Music by Winfield S. Weeden, 1896
Somehow, Jesus and God got lost to Oprah shortly after that time, not at age 27 in a Baptist church when a minister mentioned that "God is a jealous God". Oprah speaks out both sides of her mouth, saying whatever she thinks the majority of her watchers want to hear. But to claim she is a Christian and then promote this New-Age garbage is just plain wrong and that is exactly what I emailed to her staff. I am not expecting a reply anytime soon.

Lynn

"Whatever you did to the least of these, you did to Me."
Matthew 25:40

redeemedbyhim
May 4th 2008, 01:10 AM
For someone to think this doesn't effect a large audience, I beg to differ.

My sister was very much into this new Oprah new age church do-do and it had me concerned.
Thank God He answers prayer!
She is now reading the Bible instead and seeking the One true God! :pp
She's devouring good Christian books and is headed down the right path! Praise the Lord Jesus!

But, it takes prayer to see this happen and I remain concerned for those who are still cought up in the "wide road" she's leading others down.

HisGrace
May 4th 2008, 10:31 PM
I have memorized I Surrender All and frequently repeat it in my head.

There are three other great verses to it -

All to Jesus I surrender;
Make me Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel thy Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou are mine.

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Lord I give myself to Thee.
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

All to Jesus I surrender
Now I feel the sacred fame.
O the joy of full Salvation!
Glory, glory to his Name!

I surrender all, I surrender all.............

lynngehringer
May 5th 2008, 03:45 AM
His Grace -

Thank you for the extra verses.

Now, when you say these in your head. Can you imagine singing this, teary-eyed in the audience and then shortly thereafter promoting "The Secret" and now actually teaching this new rubbish online?

Oprah has a cultlike following and it is kind of scary. She seems to be so upfront about things and then flat out lies about others. Many people do see this, but according to the polls, many are not. So many seemingly intellegent people follow her like sheep.

Sad.:(

Lynn

"Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for Me."
Matthew 25:40

Ashley274
May 5th 2008, 05:53 AM
I was watching Christian TV tonight and saw a show with I think 3 men ..1 I know was a pastor..I was in and out of the room cooking but anyhow they were talking about Oprah and how we need to pray for her and that the books..(I think they mentioned more than one but 1 really blew them away..) were new age and false. That the Bible predates <insert authors name in here> his book and they pointed out the falsehoods within the book...1 being Jesus was just a good man ...grrrr......They too mentioned the influence Oprah has and all her blessings..how she was once a Christian and they hoped their DVD would fall into her hands..I THINK the show was called the Keepers of the GATE?

To me this is another sign we are in the last days...the falling away ...also maybe God is seperating the tares? I am no Biblical scholar but I do not give a hoot what Budda sez or other Gods....because there IS NO GOD but OUR God ...the one of the Bible and Jesus Christ

Let us all pray :pray:

starchild
Jun 13th 2008, 06:20 AM
a guy brought this up in my sunday school class a month ago, i asked how many people in the class knew someone who watched Oprah consitently, a big fat ZERO was the reply, the guy that brought it up is always looking for some 'interesting' or 'new' thing to go after or talk about, but he'll never concentrate on getting down what he believes and why. You know, that fun little word called doctrine, the teaching of what we beleive and why, well, anyway, just thought i'd let you know how important Oprah's church is...a couple months later, more of a novelty to chat about than anything remotley impressive.

Later

Prophecy Man
Jul 3rd 2008, 03:40 PM
Many good intended people with good intensions are led and will lead
others to a place they would not rather be. Desception is the # 1 sign in these last days. It will come in many forms but the same result will take shape.
We as christians should share the gospel at all times and we should be concerned about the " Church of Opra ". A person does not know when they will say something that will cause another to question their beliefs and actually get saved . We should stand against the false Church and speak the truth and not be covert about it. Be direct because the enemy is always direct and always challenges christianity in some way.
The truth is our most powerful weapon and we should not be shy about it.
" be instent in season and out of season " is paul's advice.

P M

for_him
Jul 4th 2008, 06:42 AM

“There is no sin. . . “9

They are in there. I got the book a year or so to get a better look and then quickly helped it into my trash can.

I made an allusion to this book and Oprah's promotion and teaching of it on a thread in End Times chat. This book is much, much more dangerous IMHO than a lot of general "New Age" books, as this one was written using automatic handwriting by a woman who thought she was channeling Jesus Christ. I think we can all draw a conclusion as to who actually wrote it.

I have some very interesting links about it and what finally happened to the author. I am so mortified that Oprah has decided to promote this one.

EDIT: Okay, hold on. I'm a little confused. I recognize those quotes from the book I had and refer to, but it's not Eckart Tolle's book. The book I am referring to is one Oprah was going to be teaching on radio.

I should probably go Google to try to straighten this out...