PDA

View Full Version : A question

theteacherspet
Apr 14th 2008, 03:59 PM
This isn't a prayer request, but it's a question about prayer that I hope someone can answer for me.

Why does prayer seem so hit or miss? It seems like many people have a personal story about a time they prayed for something and it worked out for them. Like, they or a loved one recovered from sickness, or survived an earthquake. But, I'm sure there have been many people who prayed during things like Hurricane Katrina, or famines in Africa, or while suffering from a terminal illness but who were not spared. Also, plenty of people on TBN and such claim spontaneous healing or riches, but other people who must be praying just as fervently aren't granted those things. Why?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why God allows some people who beg for relief to suffer, while other people seem blessed to have almost perfect lives devoid of any serious trauma. For instance, I've always lived in either Canada or the U.S., which are wealthy countries. I've never starved, or even thought to pray to be delivered from starving. I just get it. Yet, somewhere, there are thousands of people suffering horribly from famine, who aren't any worse people than I am and probably are better, who don't get spared irregardless of their desperate prayers. Just lately, no, not even only recently, I have a hard time believing in prayer. Why does it seem so inconsistent? Plus, if God already has a plan that is laid out and set in stone, what good does praying to change it do?

Frances
Apr 14th 2008, 05:07 PM
I suggest that when we pray for something God may answer "Yes", or "No" or "Wait", because He knows what is best for us, and as He is looking at the 'big picture' He may know that giving us what we ask for 'today' may be the worst possible thing in the light of 'tomorrow'.

I once read that Billy Graham's wife said that she was glad God had answered 'No' to some of her prayers - or she would have married the wrong man, several times!!

Souled Out
Apr 14th 2008, 05:17 PM
This isn't a prayer request, but it's a question about prayer that I hope someone can answer for me.

Why does prayer seem so hit or miss? It seems like many people have a personal story about a time they prayed for something and it worked out for them. Like, they or a loved one recovered from sickness, or survived an earthquake. But, I'm sure there have been many people who prayed during things like Hurricane Katrina, or famines in Africa, or while suffering from a terminal illness but who were not spared. Also, plenty of people on TBN and such claim spontaneous healing or riches, but other people who must be praying just as fervently aren't granted those things. Why?

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why God allows some people who beg for relief to suffer, while other people seem blessed to have almost perfect lives devoid of any serious trauma. For instance, I've always lived in either Canada or the U.S., which are wealthy countries. I've never starved, or even thought to pray to be delivered from starving. I just get it. Yet, somewhere, there are thousands of people suffering horribly from famine, who aren't any worse people than I am and probably are better, who don't get spared irregardless of their desperate prayers. Just lately, no, not even only recently, I have a hard time believing in prayer. Why does it seem so inconsistent? Plus, if God already has a plan that is laid out and set in stone, what good does praying to change it do?

People are starving because we’re not feeding them. People suffered during Hurricane Katrina because a storm came and people did not have proper plans in place.

God answers prayer in the form of people. Each of us has been given gifts, from skills to riches and when we don’t use what God gave us to do what we know is right, other people starve, die and go hurt in this world.

Prayer is intimacy and has no beginning or end, which is far different from what prayer has now become: a formula that basically begins with “Our Father”, the middle consisting of our requests and ending with “In Jesus Name.”

Real prayer is not result oriented or spoken in the King James English. It’s real, continual and is not an opened and closed session.

Most of the professional charlatans on TBN are peddling formulas for a price. They will tell you to name it, claim it, march around, drown it in oil and send them money to get your miracle or prayer answered, but they’re no closer to the heart of God than satan himself.

Prayer is what Jesus showed us: true intimacy and continual communication with the Father, so it's not a hit or miss thing.

karenoka27
Apr 14th 2008, 06:10 PM
People are starving because we’re not feeding them. People suffered during Hurricane Katrina because a storm came and people did not have proper plans in place.

People are also starving because they do not pray to the One True Living God
People suffered during Hurricane katrina and none of us are exempt from trials..
John 16:33b-"...In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

God answers prayer in the form of people. Each of us has been given gifts, from skills to riches and when we don’t use what God gave us to do what we know is right, other people starve, die and go hurt in this world.
God has also used birds to feed his people,
1 Kings 17:6-"And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook."

Prayer is intimacy and has no beginning or end, which is far different from what prayer has now become: a formula that basically begins with “Our Father”, the middle consisting of our requests and ending with “In Jesus Name.”
Prayer- "Proseuchomai" it means to pray..to direct your desires towards...
It is not a ritual...it is a privilege to come to the Father in prayer through the Son:
John 14:6-" no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me."
Ephesians 5:20-"Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;"

Real prayer is not result oriented or spoken in the King James English. It’s real, continual and is not an opened and closed session.

Most of the professional charlatans on TBN are peddling formulas for a price. They will tell you to name it, claim it, march around, drown it in oil and send them money to get your miracle or prayer answered, but they’re no closer to the heart of God than satan himself.

Prayer is what Jesus showed us: true intimacy and continual communication with the Father, so it's not a hit or miss thing.
1 John 5:14-15-"And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us:And if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him."

Prayer is surrendering our wants and desires directing them to our Father in the Name of His Son Jesus Christ, leaving our desires at the Throne of Grace, trusting that His ways are better than our ways.

I just wanted to share some Scripture regarding prayer. I think we have to be careful to say what it is and what it isn't without using the Word of God.

drew
Apr 14th 2008, 08:06 PM
Plus, if God already has a plan that is laid out and set in stone, what good does praying to change it do?
I am one who thinks that, in fact, God's plan is not "complete". He has not determined in advance every event that, in fact, comes to pass.

Thus, human petition can indeed "sway" God. I suggest the Scriptures teach this and the main reason people think otherwise is that they cannot imagine how God could achieve His purposes without a comprehensive "every detail laid out in advance" kind of plan.

I suggest that this view reflects our limitated imagination and that God is sophisticated enough to both achieve His purposes and yet also be moved by human petition.

As to the mystery of why some seem to suffer inexplicably and others are blessed, equally inexplicably: I have no idea why this happens. However, in the spirit of what I have written above, I think we need to be a little cautious in thinking that we really know the whole story. What seems like a blessing (e.g. lots of money) can, in fact, be a curse. And what seems like a burden might, in the mysterious purposes of God, be a blessing.

And if we believe in the life to come - I mean really believe in it - our perspective on suffering is profoundly different than if we believe in it in a "I hope its true but I am not really counting on it" kind of a way.

Jubal
Apr 14th 2008, 09:06 PM
We just have to keep trusting God and Jesus. And I suggest you or your friends keep on praying. As Paul said Pray without ceasing. -1 Thessalonians 5:17. And remember God knows what is best for everyone. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. -Isaiah 55:9 Also...And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. -Revelation 21:4

Teke
Apr 14th 2008, 09:37 PM
Why does prayer seem so hit or miss?

One can't miss when following Jesus instruction to pray that the Fathers will be done. ;)

I have a hard time believing in prayer. Why does it seem so inconsistent? Plus, if God already has a plan that is laid out and set in stone, what good does praying to change it do?

There is a saying, that whatever you do, do it well or to the best of your ability.

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time [are] not worthy [to be compared] with the glory which shall be revealed in us. Romans 8:11

Prayer makes this possible, meaning "by faith" (Hebrews 11). Whatever happens is God's will and for our own spiritual well being.

But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. Hebrews 2:9

......not my will, but thine, be done. Luke 22:42