PDA

View Full Version : How much are you paying for fuel?

NHL Fever
Apr 14th 2008, 06:01 PM
How much do you pay for gasoline in a month?

As a follow-up question - what amount of money would gas have to cost to make you drive less of drive smaller more efficient vehicles?

Revinius
Apr 20th 2008, 02:46 PM
too much....... :(

NHL Fever
Apr 20th 2008, 02:49 PM
I meant to make this a poll, but posted it too soon without making the poll. Have requested to mod to remove it so I can make another but so far still here.

moonglow
Apr 20th 2008, 03:03 PM

As a follow-up question - what amount of money would gas have to cost to make you drive less of drive smaller more efficient vehicles?

Shoot I don't have any money to buy a smaller car...mine only holds nine gallons as it is and I am paying far too much for that nine gallons for sure! :( Its really tough. I think the last time I filled up it was 3.22 a gallon and going up. :B

I am trying to coordinate any errands I run so I don't have to back track but then I have been doing that for years. I don't know what else I can do...it wasn't like I just drove around town for fun in the first place! What makes me angry is congress calling in the big gas tycoons asking them how they are managing to make such a huge profit if they 'can't help' how high the gas prices are. Then asking them since they are making such a huge profits why can't they lower the gas prices...of course they don't and nothing is done about them...I think its for show, to make it look like the government cares about the stress we are all under due to these high prices which affect everything...:(

They say this summer gas prices will be up to four a gallon...:B

Oh that reminds me...you talk about getting smaller cars..the other day I was sitting in line to pick up Nate from school and this MASSIVE hummer came driving down in between the rows of cars. I never saw one this big before..it was even wider and taller then the regular ones...on the license plate it said, "Hummer2" ..:cool: You have to wonder about people like this...are they trying to show off how much money they have or their lack of care of the environment or what? The size itself it going to cause problems in finding parking and other issues. I was not impressed though. I bet that thing cost as much as a new house! ugh.

Made me want to run up to them with a gas can in hand..."since you can obviously afford this...how about sharing with a single disabled mom that has to choose between gas and food?"

:giveup:

skc53
Apr 21st 2008, 02:05 AM
Gasoline here is $3.35 unless it has gone up since Saturday.:B:mad:

threebigrocks
Apr 21st 2008, 02:14 AM
It's right about $3.40 here for the van, but our truck runs on diesel which is about $4.20. Too much. Way too much.

Not sure where the line would be drawn, but we'd have to make some serious changes if things got too expensive for me to drive to work monetarily.

threebigrocks
Apr 21st 2008, 02:17 AM
I meant to make this a poll, but posted it too soon without making the poll. Have requested to mod to remove it so I can make another but so far still here.

Can't add a poll? PM me what you want it to say and I'll add it on for you.

TEITZY
Apr 21st 2008, 02:32 AM
Ahhh, the good old days when fuel was less that $4 a gallon!!! In Australia unleaded fuel is currently $1.50/L ($5.70/gallon) and rising. Diesel is over $6/gallon in many places. From empty it costs me $100 to fill up my 6cyl Ford wagon and we pretty much go through a tank a week. Estimations are that fuel will hit $2/L some time next year at the current rate. In which case I will have to do what Jesus did - walk everywhere:lol:

Cheers
Leigh

moonglow
Apr 21st 2008, 02:40 AM
Ahhh, the good old days when fuel was less that $4 a gallon!!! In Australia unleaded fuel is currently $1.50/L ($5.70/gallon) and rising. Diesel is over $6/gallon in many places. From empty it costs me $100 to fill up my 6cyl Ford wagon and we pretty much go through a tank a week. Estimations are that fuel will hit $2/L some time next year at the current rate. In which case I will have to do what Jesus did - walk everywhere:lol:

Cheers
Leigh

When my mom and her husband went to Switerland a couple of years ago and traveled around that area, they talked about how much higher gas was over seas then it is here. Which we didn't know! And hear we are complaining and you guys have it so much worse. Makes me wonder though why it is so much higher over seas then here anyway?

lbeaty1981
Apr 21st 2008, 01:10 PM
It's $3.40/gallon here right now. I filled my truck up a few weeks ago for around $75. Fortunately, I live pretty close to all the places I normally go (work, church, grocery store, etc...), so I can usually go through a whole month on one tank of gas.

If it wasn't for all the road construction around here, I would most likely just bike to work most mornings. As it is, though, there really aren't any bike-friendly routes between my house and work. The fact that I never learned how to ride a bike is somewhat of a limitation too. :D

Revinius
Apr 21st 2008, 01:31 PM
When my mom and her husband went to Switerland a couple of years ago and traveled around that area, they talked about how much higher gas was over seas then it is here. Which we didn't know! And hear we are complaining and you guys have it so much worse. Makes me wonder though why it is so much higher over seas then here anyway?

Yours is government subsidised, while most other nations have the oil industry taxed. Thats why you have been relatively ignorant until recently of what the real price at the pump is like ;)

threebigrocks
Apr 21st 2008, 02:19 PM
I'll have to look on my way home, but heard that unleaded gas here has jumped to almost $4 a gallon overnight.

Gard
Apr 21st 2008, 04:30 PM
Here in Oregon we are paying $3.59 as of last night. But I just read where oil spiked in price again this morning so i expect gas will be $3.60 or higher by this afternoon.

threebigrocks
Apr 21st 2008, 04:42 PM
OH yeah - total amount is probably $500 a month on gas. Insane.

NHL Fever
Apr 21st 2008, 05:37 PM
I was moreso wondering what you guys are paying yourselves each month in gasoline, rather than what the price of gas is per gallon. I'm curious what people are actually doing to lower their costs, or if consumption overules conservation regardless of cost.

Our gas is about $1.20/L, which works out to $5.45/gallon. I spend around $100/mo on gas.

Sherrie
Apr 21st 2008, 05:46 PM
$3.29 a gal. here. going up again today I heard. What use to cost me to fill up on empty, now only gives me a quarter of a tank. I cannot see where no matter who we elect, the price of gas is not going to go down, enough to matter or help.

threebigrocks
Apr 21st 2008, 05:52 PM
Well, with what TF and I do we don't always have one consistent place of work. We're at one location for a time and once that project is complete we move on to wherever the next one is. One may be 20 minutes from work, the next an hour. Right now I consume more than he does. If we are going to continue in our work, we have no choice in the matter. We go where the work goes.

I got into a discussion yesterday about this sort of thing. It comes down to why do we work? Is it for necessities such as food, housing, clothing, paying the bills or is it for wants. Many of us couldn't leave our jobs, but many could and live a different life and still have what we need.

menJesus
Apr 21st 2008, 10:28 PM
Gas went up as high as $3.59/gallon today, here in the greater Cincinnati area.

I thank God I don`t own a car - I honestly couldn`t afford to drive one, if I did.

My bus pass costs $76/month, for 24/7 service. And I pay someone $10-$20 to take me to get the things I cannot carry home by bus, once or twice a month.

sunney4
Apr 21st 2008, 10:32 PM
umm so its $3.89 here. I'm moving to y'all's states. Those are pretty nice prices. I fill up at least once a week so it ends up being from $240-$250 a month :(

Whispering Grace
Apr 21st 2008, 10:35 PM
Right now we are spending about $300/month on gas. This should get better when I cut back my hours at work next month. My husband and I both commute.

cheech
Apr 21st 2008, 11:37 PM
I just noticed it went up to about $3.64 a gal. I've been telling my daughter she will have to stay in town a couple days a week with my mom just so she can save on gas going to college and work. She hasn't listened to me yet but when she realizes she is working just to pay for gas, she'll understand :D.

Revinius
Apr 22nd 2008, 02:41 AM
its $1.5/Litre here in Aus which works out at about $4.5/gallon. So i guess you should count yourselves lucky and be blessed you can own v8's and turbo charged cars without a massive hit to the pocket. I remember the days over here when its used to be $0.60/Litre.

Revinius
Apr 23rd 2008, 03:00 AM
premium fuel hurts.... :(

Harrison Potter
Apr 23rd 2008, 01:53 PM
I used to drive a semi across country. I had to quit bcause I was going $1,000 in the red every week. Last year I spent $21,000 on truck payments, $30,000 in repairs, and $45,000 for diesel. Last year fuel was lower than it is now. I am so glad I am not in that business anymore. I was actually paying someone for me to put in over 70 hours of work every week and not be home with my family. I actually went 2 months with no take home pay and working my butt off. If prices keep climbing there will be a big problem. hp

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 07:32 AM
Probably $50-$100. I really don't go anywhere anymore.:cry:

NHL Fever
May 6th 2008, 08:02 PM
I've been biking to work the last week, takes about 15 min.

karenoka27
May 6th 2008, 11:40 PM
over here it goes from $3.61 to $3.69 a gallon.

What would it take to keep me from driving so much? It has already happened! My husband and I have been going for more walks instead of driving somewhere.

Personally, I think the whole thing is exciting. Families will be home more, people won't be going out to eat as often so families will be eating together more. I think we should be praising God for this...He cares enough to do what it takes to make us think twice.

My gas is used more now to go to church which is about 25 minutes away. It's worth the trip!

Ashley274
May 8th 2008, 06:20 AM
We just had an increase to 3.89 a gallon :o

Tanya~
May 8th 2008, 06:29 AM
I've already made several changes to cut fuel costs, but can't buy a new car. The one I have is just a little over a year old. My husband's business made some major changes to cut travel costs. Thankfully, he drives a company car and uses a company gas card, so all our fuel costs are mine. Gas prices here are running about $3.40/gal.

tango
May 8th 2008, 06:33 AM
I don't use a lot of fuel because I take the train to work. In the US people are crying out because fuel is approaching $4/gallon - in the UK we look back with fond memories to when it was so cheap.

My local filling station charges 1.10/litre. In US terms that means roughly $7.50/gallon.

FaithfulSheep
May 8th 2008, 10:35 AM

I'm in the $250-$500... I spend around $275ish. I already drive a small more efficient vehicle. As far how high would gas have to cost to drive less, I don't do much driving except for back and forth to work everyday, so I don't know how much less driving I could do.

Revinius
May 8th 2008, 03:28 PM
ok i am trying to work it out with the currency conversion things. In US dollars in my small 2L car i spend 270 dollars a month. I do know people in regular sized cars who easily would spend 500 a month.

Athanasius
May 8th 2008, 05:41 PM
I'm paying 1.27/litre (Canadian).

Revinius
May 8th 2008, 06:03 PM
i find a decent aftermarket exhaust system really increases your efficiency with day to day driving.

NHL Fever
May 8th 2008, 10:23 PM
i find a decent aftermarket exhaust system really increases your efficiency with day to day driving.

Could you explain that to me?

cheech
May 9th 2008, 04:02 AM
Today I saw it was $3.85-$3.90 a gal :rolleyes:.

Revinius
May 9th 2008, 05:34 AM
Could you explain that to me?

Sure, basically the more air you get into your engine the more power and efficiency you get out of it. The stock components (what comes with the car) are generally not the best stuff as most car companies will try and reduce their overheads in areas they dont think drivers will notice (eg suspension/shocks, exhaust, extractors etc). By installing a high flow exhaust system you are actually giving the engine less trouble in regards to getting the air out of the engine. You will get a noticable power increase, depending on the car, and as long as you dont thrash the car then your fuel efficiency will also increase. If your especially eager to maximise fuel throw in better air intake system.

Hope that made sense. I just installed a better exhaust on my Nissan Silvia, doesnt sound too bad and i can already notice i am saving a little on fuel.

Harrison Potter
May 29th 2008, 02:50 AM
Revinius, I agree with you totally on the better fuel efficiency with higher air intake. About a year ago I heard of a semi truck driver having that done to his truck. As a rule most semi trucks get 4.5 to 7 miles per gal. The engine in the truck was a mercedes and he had the kit put in at some place in Arkansas. After the kit was installed they ran the engine so that the computer in the vehicle could record the new reading from the engine. They then down loaded the info from the truck and sent it off to Mercedes. At Mecedes they took the new info and sent back a program to upload into the truck to make the truck run more efficiently with the new changes. The driver claimed to be getting around 14 miles per gal. It is too bad that the companies in the USA don't follow suit. The change over cost quite a bit, but if you used 500 gal every week and were paying $4.80 for diesel and cut it down to 250 gal, that would be $1,200 saving in fuel cost every week. Of course we can't do things like that as a nation because it would take a lot of money out of some oil tycoons bank account. Just something to think about. hp

longtooth
May 29th 2008, 03:12 AM
I pastor a country church & mine is running me a good $75.00 a week.
I have learned to be vey careful about routing home & hospital visits.

cheech
May 29th 2008, 03:18 AM
We are now paying around $4.09 a gal for unleaded gas. Ugh...I think my husband needs to buy a bike and ride me around town :D.

Still in One Peace
May 29th 2008, 12:30 PM
Its about $3.87 here... Thank you Lord for my little subaru... I usually spend about $200 a month.

Revinius
May 29th 2008, 01:49 PM
i love driving, and i love powerful engines. The oil companies say that its all about global prices etc, then they report higher profits than they ever have... i dont get what more regulators need to go in and rip them up.

SethElijah
May 29th 2008, 01:59 PM
We spend about $400 per month in gas. Unfortunately we cannot afford to sell our house and lose the equity to get a place closer to where we both work. We are working on getting our work schedules about the same so we can carpool together. My husbands car is giving out, so we are buying a Prius as soon as one comes in that we can afford. I drive a Toyota Echo right now and get about 30MPG, his Impala gets about 23-26. They do not have a train or bus route that runs close to our jobs or we would do that. I did just read an article on hypermiling, and I think we may try some tricks they mentioned in that article to help a bit. It was in a local paper, but I googled it and found a ton of information on it.

Revinius
May 29th 2008, 02:52 PM
Prius.... *shiver*. Get a small turbo diesel, apparently their efficiency is great, and has the guts when you need it.

grptinHisHand
Jun 3rd 2008, 07:09 PM
I usually get by with spending about $25 - $30 per week in gas. (14 mi to work) (10 to church) I get appx 30 mi to the gallon. Lately I have been paying $3.70 - 3.75 per gal.
However, I just came back from vacation, visiting family in MS, TX, AL. It was expensive gas-wise, but not as bad as if I'd flown and tried to get to see the family members in all the different locations. :-) Glad I could go. Glad I am safely back.
g

tango
Jun 4th 2008, 01:40 AM
In central PA it's about $4/gallon. Makes a nice change from England and paying over double that. I can run a monstrous great Ford Explorer for less gas money than my sensible family car back home.

tango
Jun 7th 2008, 12:31 AM
We spend about $400 per month in gas. Unfortunately we cannot afford to sell our house and lose the equity to get a place closer to where we both work. We are working on getting our work schedules about the same so we can carpool together. My husbands car is giving out, so we are buying a Prius as soon as one comes in that we can afford. I drive a Toyota Echo right now and get about 30MPG, his Impala gets about 23-26. They do not have a train or bus route that runs close to our jobs or we would do that. I did just read an article on hypermiling, and I think we may try some tricks they mentioned in that article to help a bit. It was in a local paper, but I googled it and found a ton of information on it.

Don't know if it's worth a look for you, a friend of mine in PA runs a Ford Focus and reckons on getting 35-40mpg from it, more if she drives it gently.

That said I just managed to average 25mpg in the monstrous Ford Explorer over about 15 miles, although in fairness most of it was flat or downhill.

Harrison Potter
Jun 7th 2008, 12:52 PM
i love driving, and i love powerful engines. The oil companies say that its all about global prices etc, then they report higher profits than they ever have... i dont get what more regulators need to go in and rip them up.
Actually they are right. When the price of crude oil goes up it goes up everywhere. It is the same as with precious metals. Our country does not set the price for oil just as we do not set the price of gold and silver. We may have some influence in it, but not control over it. Our country has been looking for cheap products for years and now we get them from China. China is now becoming more industrialized as a part of this and their oil consumption has more than trippled causing a bigger demand for oil. Supply and demand is what it is all about. Because you didn't want to pay the higher price for American made goods you now have to pay the price at the pump. Not you specifically, but us as a country. We are always quick to point a finger at someone for our problems, but should really be looking in the mirror.

Revinius
Jun 7th 2008, 04:23 PM
Actually they are right. When the price of crude oil goes up it goes up everywhere. It is the same as with precious metals. Our country does not set the price for oil just as we do not set the price of gold and silver. We may have some influence in it, but not control over it. Our country has been looking for cheap products for years and now we get them from China. China is now becoming more industrialized as a part of this and their oil consumption has more than trippled causing a bigger demand for oil. Supply and demand is what it is all about. Because you didn't want to pay the higher price for American made goods you now have to pay the price at the pump. Not you specifically, but us as a country. We are always quick to point a finger at someone for our problems, but should really be looking in the mirror.

Oil hasnt reached peack production yet (thats still off as early as 2015) so there is more oil at there than there ever was. Profits are directly related to markups disguised under the banner of 'future supply worries', nevermind that that has no affect on the supply in the now.

Drums4Him
Jun 7th 2008, 04:27 PM
I with you. I like horsepower, I like to drive and now I am resloved to driving my little car around because it gets 33 MPG and I can't afford to drive my truck that much. I cherish the rare times I get to drive the truck, which gets about 20mpg at on the highway at its best. I spend about 200 a month driving that little car back and forth to work, a 74 mile round trip 4 days a week. I don't drive anywhere on the weekends because of the cost, and have to do all my errands on one trip. Its the changing times we are in and I have to change with it. I pray every morining for the Lord to help my financial situation out, and He answers prayer.

Rachel_79
Jun 7th 2008, 05:03 PM
I only get about 17mpg in my car, I really want to trade it in and get something more effecient but I have only had it 9 months, so I am stuck in this gas guzzler. I was so stupid to have even bought it! It costs about 95.00 to fill up and I have to fill up once sometimes twice a week so that's somewhere between 400 and 500+ a month. :( The problem here as in most of the USA is that we really don't have mass transportation, (except in big cities, like NY or DC) so we are stuck trying to figure out how we can pay for gas to get to work everday.

Revinius
Jun 7th 2008, 05:10 PM
i like muscle, but i am forced into a little japanese import because of the fuel issues. Even with turbo's and good intake and exhaust the fuel cost is almost not worth the hobby :(

Redneck Charger
Jun 8th 2008, 12:10 PM

Fuel is just way to much..and THERE is no reason for it, but Greed.. We were driving two cars, and are down to one now.. We were driving my 06 Charger which would take now $200 a week to drive back and forth to work, and now driving my Girl's car which is a 98 Escort,and it cost us about $75, Fuel as of lastnight was $1.34 a litre :pray:

theBelovedDisciple
Jun 27th 2008, 04:22 AM
Diesel is 4.59/ gallon here

Gas Unleaded is 4.15/ gallon
Gas with Ethanol blend is 4.09 / gallon.

Glad I did not buy that diesel last fall..... phewwww:no:

tango
Jun 27th 2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't write off diesel quite so fast. If you pay 10% more per gallon but get 20% more miles per gallon you're ahead of the game.

Revinius
Jun 28th 2008, 03:39 AM
Add a gas (natural gas, think you lot call it propane?) turbo fitting to the diesel and you get even more efficiency as gas is cheap and forces the diesel to burn better and cleaner. Aussie government has rebates for people converting to gas cos its cheaps as chips.

TBONE61
Jun 28th 2008, 02:28 PM

I have a gas budget for 2 vehicles and it is at 150.00 a month and we use it all usually or close to it. I know people who spend at least 150 a week in gas. I could not imagine doing that.

skc53
Aug 7th 2008, 03:30 AM
I voted 50 to 100, but that's only for the jeep I drive to work. My husband rides his motorcycle to the store 3 times a week, and I drive the dodge pickup to church. Right now our gas went down to $3.56 with a credit or shopping card.:pp