PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Lazarus

Teke
Apr 16th 2008, 02:10 PM
According to the old church calendar this Saturday is the day we remember Lazarus (also the day before Palm Sunday). We do so to contrast his resurrection with Christ's.

In John 11:44 we read of Lazarus who came out bound in his "graveclothes". This has been seen by many Christians as an indication that he will need them again, that his resurrection continues an earthly life which will again end in death.

Our Lord's graveclothes, by contrast, would be left in the tomb (John 20:5-7). Unlike Lazarus's, Christ's resurrection transfigures human nature. He will never die again.

Brother Mark
Apr 16th 2008, 02:23 PM
Great point!

I also like that even when we are dead in our trespasses and sins, and we stink, that the Lord can say "come forth" and we can live! But at salvation, there are still many "grave clothes" that bind us. But with the help of the word of God, and those that hear him, we can be set free of those things that bind us.

Buck shot
Apr 16th 2008, 04:04 PM
Great point!

I also like that even when we are dead in our trespasses and sins, and we stink, that the Lord can say "come forth" and we can live! But at salvation, there are still many "grave clothes" that bind us. But with the help of the word of God, and those that hear him, we can be set free of those things that bind us.
:amen: We have been freed indeed!

I do feel sorry for Lazarus though. Can you image being with the Father and then called back by the Son. It is a great example of God's power over death but we should also remember when we mourn for other's that they have finished their race we should not wish them back into it.

I have found this very hard at times myself.

We need to never forget what Lazarus did for us when he answered the call to come forth.

Souled Out
Apr 16th 2008, 04:13 PM
Has anyone seen all the scriptural support for Lazarus being the Beloved Disciple? The common belief is that John (there are some flimsy arguments for Mary) is the BD but from a scriptural standpoint the case for Lazarus is looking solid.

Teke
Apr 16th 2008, 04:15 PM
Great point!

There is a contrast with Lazarus's name and the priesthood of that time. Another example of what God can do with His priesthood should they become stinking rotten, so to speak. ;)

Brother Mark
Apr 16th 2008, 04:18 PM
There is a contrast with Lazarus's name and the priesthood of that time. Another example of what God can do with His priesthood should they become stinking rotten, so to speak. ;)

Oooo. Now that's something to dig into. Thanks for the heads up.