PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 05:12 PM
Just curious. How many of ya'll have concealed carry permits?

What do ya'll think of it?:hmm:

Do you live in areas that can get them?

My dad is getting his. One of my brothers and I both have ours.
We have about nine that I know of in our church that can legally carry.

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 05:26 PM
Once I finish my application and after the 6-8 month wait, I'll have a concealed permit. I live in NY.

Do I need it, no but I had to turn over my pistol when I moved back to NY and until this paperwork is done I can't possess the pistol so I have to do all this to legally exercise my right to bear arms.

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 05:50 PM
I live in Chicago, so no guns for me.

Just this past weekend gang violence went crazy. We had something like 4 deaths and 28 injuries (all gun related) in a two day period. The first sunny weekend of the year is notorious for this. Now the people are marching with these big placcards "Stop the violence". They're demanding the government do something about it.

The sad thing is, people view this as a single source problem that the government should make "go away". Nobody will look at the broad spectrum of variables including schooling, opportunities, segregation, poverty, and a failing justice system. Nobody will look at solutions that everyone works towards. They want somebody to do it for them. That somebody (Mayor Daley) is going to do what LOOKS to be the most decisive action: get tougher on gun laws.

... which already take guns out of the hands of law abiding and upright citizens. And the wheel goes round...

I didn't think it would happen, but my stance on gun control has completely switched from "what do we need 'em for anyway" to ...
http://richlandbombers.tripod.com/2000/2000-FortCasey-BigGun.jpg

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Clavicula_Nox
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:06 PM
Getting my concealed carry is something I want to do this year. North Carolina happens to be one of the most gun-friendly and self-defense friendly states in the union. I'm not flashy, a simple Beretta 92-series is in my future. I also want to teach my fiance how to shoot, something I've been promising for over a year.

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:19 PM
Getting my concealed carry is something I want to do this year. North Carolina happens to be one of the most gun-friendly and self-defense friendly states in the union. I'm not flashy, a simple Beretta 92-series is in my future. I also want to teach my fiance how to shoot, something I've been promising for over a year.

My wife and I are planning a little vacation so she can unwind some. I thought I'd take her to Vegas where we can go to the gun range. A few seconds behind an M60 should do the trick, don't you think?

Warrior Prophet
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:21 PM

completely in favor of concealed carry.......I currently have a nice Ruger P-89

as long as there are dangerous people walking the earth I am all for the right to defend your own life and that of your family

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:39 PM
My wife and I are planning a little vacation so she can unwind some. I thought I'd take her to Vegas where we can go to the gun range. A few seconds behind an M60 should do the trick, don't you think?No, not until the barrel is smokin'... then that should do the trick :lol:

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:43 PM
Once I finish my application and after the 6-8 month wait, I'll have a concealed permit. I live in NY.

Do I need it, no but I had to turn over my pistol when I moved back to NY and until this paperwork is done I can't possess the pistol so I have to do all this to legally exercise my right to bear arms.

It's amazing how differant the gun laws are between states. Here you can still buy them at garage sales with no paperwork. :spin:

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:46 PM
I live in Chicago, so no guns for me.

Just this past weekend gang violence went crazy. We had something like 4 deaths and 28 injuries (all gun related) in a two day period. The first sunny weekend of the year is notorious for this. Now the people are marching with these big placcards "Stop the violence". They're demanding the government do something about it.

The sad thing is, people view this as a single source problem that the government should make "go away". Nobody will look at the broad spectrum of variables including schooling, opportunities, segregation, poverty, and a failing justice system. Nobody will look at solutions that everyone works towards. They want somebody to do it for them. That somebody (Mayor Daley) is going to do what LOOKS to be the most decisive action: get tougher on gun laws.

... which already take guns out of the hands of law abiding and upright citizens. And the wheel goes round...

I didn't think it would happen, but my stance on gun control has completely switched from "what do we need 'em for anyway" to ...
http://richlandbombers.tripod.com/2000/2000-FortCasey-BigGun.jpg

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Now that's a big gun.

Can you own a gun in Chicago?

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:49 PM
It's amazing how differant the gun laws are between states. Here you can still buy them at garage sales with no paperwork. :spin:My dad gave me his off-duty auto when he retired after 35 years as a NJ Policeman. He moved to SC and this was when he gave me the pistol. I owned it and declaired it while living on Ft. Benning, GA and then on Ft. Riley, KS. Never needed paperwork, just supply the serial number and nomenclature.

Then I move back to my home after I retire from the Army and it's been 2 years since I've seen the pistol. I have to get off my butt and get this paperwork turned in. Plus fork over the $180 or so bucks to get that all done.

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:51 PM
My dad gave me his off-duty auto when he retired after 35 years as a NJ Policeman. He moved to SC and this was when he gave me the pistol. I owned it and declaired it while living on Ft. Benning, GA and then on Ft. Riley, KS. Never needed paperwork, just supply the serial number and nomenclature.

Then I move back to my home after I retire from the Army and it's been 2 years since I've seen the pistol. I have to get off my butt and get this paperwork turned in. Plus fork over the $180 or so bucks to get that all done.

WOW, I don't know what to say.

I am just glad it has not came to that here, YET.

amazzin
Apr 22nd 2008, 06:54 PM

Having served in the army and seen how concealed weapons work in foreign countries and how abused they are, I am not sure that I would be in favour of this given the nature of sinful man!

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 07:03 PM
Now that's a big gun.
Can you own a gun in Chicago?

I need to do a bit more research, but practically speaking the answer is no. I think its legal to own a lucked up, unloaded weapon which can only be unlocked and loaded at a firing range. Or I could be mistaken and its an outright ban on ownership... I can't quite remember but practically it was "no" and many Chicagoans were watching the Washington DC proceedings with great interest.

I imagine if they did legalize fire-arms there would be a huge spike in shooting related death and injury while the gang-bangers arm up and kill each other off. :(

JIML
Apr 22nd 2008, 07:55 PM
I need to do a bit more research, but practically speaking the answer is no. I think its legal to own a lucked up, unloaded weapon which can only be unlocked and loaded at a firing range. Or I could be mistaken and its an outright ban on ownership... I can't quite remember but practically it was "no" and many Chicagoans were watching the Washington DC proceedings with great interest.

I imagine if they did legalize fire-arms there would be a huge spike in shooting related death and injury while the gang-bangers arm up and kill each other off. :(

I don't think laws affect gangs, I mean they still get their weapons illegally. But i never understood people who were complaining that if students could carry guns on campus those school shootings wouldn't be so bad because the infiltrator would be shot down by the students. I mean instead of a little drunken fight on campus every weekend there would be a nice shootout.

Oh and I don't think guns are legal in Chicago, in fact my bb gun is illegal!

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:01 PM
I don't think laws affect gangs, I mean they still get their weapons illegally. But i never understood people who were complaining that if students could carry guns on campus those school shootings wouldn't be so bad because the infiltrator would be shot down by the students. I mean instead of a little drunken fight on campus every weekend there would be a nice shootout.

I agree, I thing gun bans are like locks. They only keep honest people out!

It has been proven that crime rates drop when honest citizens carry. I will look for some stats when I get the time.

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:10 PM
I agree, I thing gun bans are like locks. They only keep honest people out!

It has been proven that crime rates drop when honest citizens carry. I will look for some stats when I get the time.No need, anyone who lives in a state where carrying is common and from the age of 5, children are trained in proper gun safety... common sense rules and crime will always be much lower.

Matter of fact, all the DUMB CROOK stories end with a dead crook that was passing through and thought he'd have it easy in a small town.

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:17 PM
I don't think laws affect gangs, I mean they still get their weapons illegally.

True. But if they were legalized the gangs could arm themselves with less effort and expense. Which is why my hypothesis is: legalize fire-arms leads to a quick escalation of violence, followed by lower overall gun violence.

But i never understood people who were complaining that if students could carry guns on campus those school shootings wouldn't be so bad because the infiltrator would be shot down by the students. I mean instead of a little drunken fight on campus every weekend there would be a nice shootout.

Do the schools in conceal & carry states witness this phenomenon?

For real!? The U-Spy-Store sells some groovy fully automatic ones. Did a real number on a paper cup from clear across the store.

Clavicula_Nox
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:21 PM
My wife and I are planning a little vacation so she can unwind some. I thought I'd take her to Vegas where we can go to the gun range. A few seconds behind an M60 should do the trick, don't you think?

I would think so, though I've never had the opportunity. The largest machine gun I've ever fired was somewhere around 500-700 rounds from a vehicle mounted M240B at Terry Taliban and some of his Al-Qaeda and Pashtun buddies in A-stan. The strong recoil and vibrations just serve to amp up the adrenaline.

Oh, I forgot, I've fired Ma Deuce, but only on a range.

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:24 PM
I would think so, though I've never had the opportunity. The largest machine gun I've ever fired was somewhere around 500-700 rounds from a vehicle mounted M240B at Terry Taliban and some of his Al-Qaeda and Pashtun buddies in A-stan. The strong recoil and vibrations just serve to amp up the adrenaline.

Oh, I forgot, I've fired Ma Deuce, but only on a range.I was a Pig gunner for 12 months and FPFed a barrel till it was bright red and pulsed with each round... it was so pretty!!!

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:30 PM

Oh, I forgot, I've fired Ma Deuce, but only on a range.

The only fire arm I've ever pulled the trigger on was a tripod mounted machine gun firing blanks. It was a kind of "faire" the Canadian army hosted at a base we lived on. Its one of my early hazy memories... must be over 20 years ago. Wow... first time I've actually been able to say that!

Haven't had hand to fire-arm since then.

Funny story. I used to date this Italian girl. As girly as girls get. Very proper, dare I say old world mentality: "men head house" "proper women wear dresses, never pants" kind of thing. Properly dressed and made up even to go get groceries. Walked with itty bitty steps in her high heels. Oh yeah... and she was a certified pistol marksman. Don't know how that skill snuck in years of doll primping and baking cookies with mom... but there you have it.

Babble babble babble. Watching SQL scripts compile...

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:31 PM
I was a Pig gunner for 12 months and FPFed a barrel till it was bright red and pulsed with each round... it was so pretty!!!

Can't understand a dang thing you just said, but it sure sounds manly!

Warrior Prophet
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:31 PM
gun bans certainly do not effect criminals access to firearms it is much easier to smuggle in and import illegal firearms than it is to import illegal heroin and cocaine and when did the country ever successively stop that even for one week

right now the prices of guns being legal in most of the country are low enough not to be much of an incentive for most smugglers but if they ever become outlawed you will see that change over night and then who will all the buyers be

disassembled mixed in with some machine parts and throughly cleaned or better yet never fired and ship the ammo in a separate shipment what is there for a dog or x-rays to detect.....it does not get much easier than that for a smuggler

Slug1
Apr 22nd 2008, 08:32 PM
Can't understand a dang thing you just said, but it sure sounds manly!I was an M60 gunner for 12 months and Final Protective Fired a barrel....

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 09:03 PM

I can only speak for Texas. No guns allowed on any campus (so far).

Buck shot
Apr 22nd 2008, 09:06 PM
Funny story. I used to date this Italian girl. As girly as girls get. Very proper, dare I say old world mentality: "men head house" "proper women wear dresses, never pants" kind of thing. Properly dressed and made up even to go get groceries. Walked with itty bitty steps in her high heels. Oh yeah... and she was a certified pistol marksman. Don't know how that skill snuck in years of doll primping and baking cookies with mom... but there you have it.

That would have been a keeper!

HisLeast
Apr 22nd 2008, 09:13 PM
That would have been a keeper!

For some guy, yes. I found my keeper 9 years later, and lets all of us give thanks that my firey red head is NOT a pistol marksman. :lol:

Theophilus
Apr 22nd 2008, 09:35 PM
I have my concealed carry permit.:)

Dave McIntyre
Apr 22nd 2008, 09:50 PM
For what its worth Brazil has the strictest gun control laws in the western hemisphere.

For a law abiding citizen to buy a gun he would have to give a good reason (being alive isn't good enough) take a shooting test and a psycological exam in addition to extensive background checks. The choices of caliber are very limited with the govenment "Liberating" the .38 special, and .380 auto. Anything more powerful is restricted to police and military. Hunting was banned a decade ago. (If you think anti-gunners are going to leave hunters alone think again)

All it has really done is created a huge black market. Brazil is one of the few countries in which a gun on the street costs less than one from legal sources. The drug gangs just import guns and cases of ammnition along with their drugs, to them its just the cost of doing business and a sideline economic activity.

It hasn't slowed the murder rate down a bit. In fact in the last ten years there have been 465,000 murders here according to recently released statistics. Just by way of comparison the US lost 58,000 soldiers in the ten years of the Vietnam war.

It is interesting to note that here where gun ownership is very low the incidence of armed home invasion is very high. By contrast in the US this type of crime is almost unheard of and when it happens there is usually drugs involved at the invaded home. Mac

Dizzytimes7
Apr 23rd 2008, 01:12 AM
I am in favor of carring a gun and we have them in our home.

Last week I had to scare off a druggie that was trying to break into my house. I didn't shoot him but scared the stuffings out of that man. He didn't expect this grandma to defend herself.

MrAnteater
Apr 23rd 2008, 02:22 AM
Hardcore gun rights supporter here. I never leave the house without a firearm. As a certified Glockphile, I'm partial to my Glock 23.

But recently I've been a little lazy and only been carrying my S&W J frame in the front pocket. It's small but a powerful little monster. .357 mag in a 12oz frame.

I'll also work a Glock 26 and Kel Tec P11 in the mix at times.

Buck shot
Apr 23rd 2008, 02:43 PM
For some guy, yes. I found my keeper 9 years later, and lets all of us give thanks that my firey red head is NOT a pistol marksman. :lol:
:rofl: I can only image!

Buck shot
Apr 23rd 2008, 02:44 PM
For what its worth Brazil has the strictest gun control laws in the western hemisphere.

For a law abiding citizen to buy a gun he would have to give a good reason (being alive isn't good enough) take a shooting test and a psycological exam in addition to extensive background checks. The choices of caliber are very limited with the govenment "Liberating" the .38 special, and .380 auto. Anything more powerful is restricted to police and military. Hunting was banned a decade ago. (If you think anti-gunners are going to leave hunters alone think again)

All it has really done is created a huge black market. Brazil is one of the few countries in which a gun on the street costs less than one from legal sources. The drug gangs just import guns and cases of ammnition along with their drugs, to them its just the cost of doing business and a sideline economic activity.

It hasn't slowed the murder rate down a bit. In fact in the last ten years there have been 465,000 murders here according to recently released statistics. Just by way of comparison the US lost 58,000 soldiers in the ten years of the Vietnam war.

It is interesting to note that here where gun ownership is very low the incidence of armed home invasion is very high. By contrast in the US this type of crime is almost unheard of and when it happens there is usually drugs involved at the invaded home. Mac

Thanks Dave, We need some folks like you telling the liberals here these truths! ;)

Cloudwalker
Apr 23rd 2008, 06:32 PM
I live in Florida and used to have a Concealed Weapon permit. They are not hard to get but there are a few "hoops" you have to jump through. Guns are NOT allowed on school property or any government buildings. In fact, technically you cannot have a gun in your car if you go to the Post Office (or any other govt. facility) if the govt. owns the property (if they just lease it that's another story.

Buck shot
Apr 23rd 2008, 07:14 PM
It's the same way here Cloudwalker.

Last year we passed a law that considers your vehicle like your home so we can now keep a loaded gun in the car even without a permit. I am still waiting for a judge to redefine the law.

Toolman
Apr 23rd 2008, 08:14 PM
I need to do a bit more research, but practically speaking the answer is no. I think its legal to own a lucked up, unloaded weapon which can only be unlocked and loaded at a firing range. Or I could be mistaken and its an outright ban on ownership... I can't quite remember but practically it was "no" and many Chicagoans were watching the Washington DC proceedings with great interest.(

Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country.

To possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the state police. Generally an FOID will be granted unless the applicant has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, or is the subject of an order of protection. There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.[34]

There is no state preemption of firearm laws, with the result that some localities have outlawed the possession of handguns. These include the Chicago suburbs of Winnetka,[35] Wilmette,[36] Morton Grove,[37] Evanston,[38] and Oak Park.[39] Highland Park also prohibits handguns, unless the resident has obtained a permit from the police.[40] Some municipalities, most notably Chicago, require that all firearms be registered with the local police department.[41] Chicago does not allow the registration of handguns, which has the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before April 16, 1982.[42][43] Additionally, Cook County has banned assault weapons and magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition.[44] Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions.[45] Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken.

Illinois is one of two remaining states that have no provision for the concealed carry of firearms by citizens. Open carry is also illegal, except when hunting. When a firearm is being transported, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case.[46]

When purchasing a handgun in Illinois, there is a 72 hour waiting period after the sale before the buyer can take possession. The waiting period for long guns is 24 hours.[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Illinois

Buck shot
Apr 23rd 2008, 08:53 PM
Illinois has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the country.

To possess or purchase firearms or ammunition, Illinois residents must have a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card, which is issued by the state police. Generally an FOID will be granted unless the applicant has been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, has been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, or is the subject of an order of protection. There are additional requirements for applicants under the age of 21.[34]

There is no state preemption of firearm laws, with the result that some localities have outlawed the possession of handguns. These include the Chicago suburbs of Winnetka,[35] Wilmette,[36] Morton Grove,[37] Evanston,[38] and Oak Park.[39] Highland Park also prohibits handguns, unless the resident has obtained a permit from the police.[40] Some municipalities, most notably Chicago, require that all firearms be registered with the local police department.[41] Chicago does not allow the registration of handguns, which has the effect of outlawing their possession, unless they were grandfathered in by being registered before April 16, 1982.[42][43] Additionally, Cook County has banned assault weapons and magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition.[44] Other municipalities have also enacted various firearm restrictions.[45] Lack of preemption makes it difficult to travel throughout Illinois with a firearm while being sure that no laws are being broken.

Illinois is one of two remaining states that have no provision for the concealed carry of firearms by citizens. Open carry is also illegal, except when hunting. When a firearm is being transported, it must be unloaded and enclosed in a case.[46]

When purchasing a handgun in Illinois, there is a 72 hour waiting period after the sale before the buyer can take possession. The waiting period for long guns is 24 hours.[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Illinois

WOW, it is really different between states!

I cannot remember how long the waiting period is here before you get a license. I know just bought a PF-9 sub compact in December and walked in, paid for the gun, shells, and holster and walked out. That is the way it should be for honest citizens.

To get your concealed carry license in Texas you have to go to an all day class and then pass the written and shooting test (50 rounds on the range with the instructor). The state will do a background check and make sure you don't have any felonies or DWIs (driving while intoxicated). I can't remember the fee (I try not to add up the cost of guns and fishing supplies).

tango
Apr 23rd 2008, 09:26 PM

Are you counting Europe as Western Hemisphere? In the UK if a law-abiding citizen wants a handgun they ... er ... can't have one.

Needless to say criminals don't worry too much about the fact that guns are illegal.

longtooth
May 20th 2008, 02:44 PM
True. But if they were legalized the gangs could arm themselves with less effort and expense. Which is why my hypothesis is: legalize fire-arms leads to a quick escalation of violence, followed by lower overall gun violence.

For real!? The U-Spy-Store sells some groovy fully automatic ones. Did a real number on a paper cup from clear across the store.

Long time CCer. Range Safety Officer at local rifle & pistol club. Practical Personal Defense Trainer, Moderator on 2 gun boards, one solely dedicated to CC. I address the top 2 statements.

1. Gangs arming themselves w/ less effort & expense is incorrect.
To purchase a firearm there is an extensive background check. ANY felony conviction will disqualify & the attempted purchase is rejected. There are a lot of misdemenors that disqualify. Gangs or other convicted felons will continue to steel, or buy stolen arms to do their evil violence.
The argument of gunfights in the streets over trivials has been used since Florida passed the 1st Concealed Weapons laws. It has NEVER materialized. Gang members, covicted felons, domestic violence, many misdemenors, (in Texas delinquent on child support, or a student loan) all will disqualify a person from getting a CC permit. Carrying a gun does not change what is inside. It provides a tool to address what takes place outside.
2. Concerning Schools I can only speak w/ certainty about Texas. Schools are a gun free zone in Texas. Any School. Public, Private, Grade School or College. The places that have not been defined in law are the places like Barber College.
Being gun free that makes them Victim Rich. Folks bent on a Virgina Tech benge dont go to the local shooting range to start. They go where they know there is no defense. In Texas there has not been a return fire resolution by a non-LEO to any school or church shooting yet. In the places that CC is not allowed, it is still legal to have your gun in the vehicle in the parking lot. One of the anti arguments has been gunfights over contested parking spaces. It has not materialized anywhere in the nation. Folks that pass the above background check may get agrivated over someone beating them to a space but they do not get killing mad.

An armed society is a polite society.
LT

Reynolds357
May 20th 2008, 03:34 PM

I keep a pistol in my pocket all the time. I even carry it to church. I am a polie officer, so I am in the habit of carrying a pistol everywhere. I think it is a good idea for anyone is mentally stable and has a clean criminal history who is also proficient weapons handling skills to carry a concealed weapon.

I arrested a man many years ago. He told me when he got out if he ever saw me out of uniform I better "watch out." Many have told me this, but he is the only one who has ever thought about acting on it. Well, 7 years after I put him in prison, I saw him one night walking towrd me in the Wal Mart parking lot. I was off duty and out of uniform. He asked me if I remembered what he told me. I told him I did. He was very loud, angry, and actually quite irate. When he looked down and saw a pistol pointing at him, he turned and quickly walked away. His parole officer arrested him the next day and back to prison for him. The moral of that story is Never leave home without a weapon.

longtooth
May 20th 2008, 03:39 PM
The moral of that story is Never leave home without a weapon.

And a lot of other stories. Good job.

Steve M
May 20th 2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post

I can only speak for Texas. No guns allowed on any campus (so far).

Schools are gun-free; but in a state as lax with weapons as mine, that means nothing. I went to a state college and I knew kids who had a dozen guns in their dorm rooms.

In the whole time I was in college, not a single person was shot. There were innumerable fights--why not?

Because people aren't dumb, raging animals incapable of self-control, actually. Despite how often we tell them they are.

Buck shot
May 20th 2008, 06:31 PM
Schools are gun-free; but in a state as lax with weapons as mine, that means nothing. I went to a state college and I knew kids who had a dozen guns in their dorm rooms.

In the whole time I was in college, not a single person was shot. There were innumerable fights--why not?

Because people aren't dumb, raging animals incapable of self-control, actually. Despite how often we tell them they are.

:idea: Good point Steve! If anyone would get crazy and just go to shooting it would be college guys :lol:

Don't happen though, just like you said :rolleyes:

Steve M
May 20th 2008, 07:17 PM
:idea: Good point Steve! If anyone would get crazy and just go to shooting it would be college guys :lol:

Don't happen though, just like you said :rolleyes:
I'm personally not an owner/carrier, nor do I wish to be. I'm not even a hunter, and where I live that's like admitting I'm not a breather!

Buck shot
May 20th 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm personally not an owner/carrier, nor do I wish to be. I'm not even a hunter, and where I live that's like admitting I'm not a breather!

That's okay Steve, we still LOVE ya! :P

Big T
May 21st 2008, 12:07 AM
In New Mexico, you can legally carry a firearm out in the open on your hip. No need for a CCW permit. If it's night time and I'm at the ATM, I'd much rather the bad guys see a gun on my hip.

NavyFirefighter
May 21st 2008, 01:25 PM

Why would there be a spike in gang related deaths? They don't buy them leagly anyway. There would probably be a rise in home invation deaths (the thief) because more home owners would shoot the fools that are breaking in.

Good gun control is putting all the rounds on target!

Valley of Joy
May 22nd 2008, 05:43 PM
I have a permit but all us rednecks carry ours on gun racks in windows in the back of the trucks

Gauntlet
Mar 21st 2009, 02:54 PM
I dunno. A gun-toting Christian doesn't seem right to me. Sounds kind of like a vegan operating a taxidermy shop ...

Buck shot
Mar 23rd 2009, 07:26 PM
Remember what Jesus said one time:
Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

I guess i'm lazy. A pistol is easier to carry :lol:

HisLeast
Mar 24th 2009, 02:31 AM
Remember what Jesus said one time:
Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

I guess i'm lazy. A pistol is easier to carry :lol:

"Guns for show, knives for a pro".

Slug1
Mar 24th 2009, 12:12 PM
"Guns for show, knives for a pro".You watch to many movies, like The Professional :P

I remember when I was in PLDC (Primary Leadership Development Course) waaaaaaaayyyyyy back in 1989, the instructor gave a battlefield situation for us to pick an ethical decision. He basically said:

After 24 hours of battle the only two left standing are you and one enemy soldier. You have your bayonet and your rifle with one bullet left. The enemy soldier has only his bayonet and he pulls it out and motions for you to pull your bayonet and fight... what do you do?

So he started at the beginning of the U shaped class of classmates (16 total) and began to ask what they'd do. All soldiers said... pull out their bayonet and continue to fight.

Then he got to me and I said I'd shoot the enemy soldier and then fix the bayonet to my rifle and then use the bayonet against him. Everyone looked at me... as I was the only Infantry in the class. The instructor asked me why I'd shoot the man first...

I calmly said, cause I'd be the only survivor of that battle!

Don't use a knife in a gun fight.

HisLeast
Mar 24th 2009, 12:57 PM
You watch to many movies, like The Professional :P
I've actually never seen The Professional. The line is also used in "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" by the character named Soap.

I totally hear you on not bringing a knife to a gunfight. But for average everyday life, I wonder if serious old school courtesy and respect would make a comeback if people were allowed to walk around with claymores, rapiers, and tachis at the ready. :D

Buck shot
Mar 24th 2009, 03:37 PM
It would get folks to start noticing the things around them for sure. ;)

Drums4Him
Mar 25th 2009, 03:27 AM
This may be off topic a bit, but I was thinking about treating myself on my birthday and go to a gun store that I know about and rent a machine gun to fire on their indoor range. They have a lot of choices, don't know what half of them are, some I recognize. Sorry for going off topic a bit here.

Clavicula_Nox
Mar 25th 2009, 05:17 AM
This may be off topic a bit, but I was thinking about treating myself on my birthday and go to a gun store that I know about and rent a machine gun to fire on their indoor range. They have a lot of choices, don't know what half of them are, some I recognize. Sorry for going off topic a bit here.

When you say "machine gun" what exactly do you mean? Many people call anything that fires fast a "machine gun".

Buck shot
Mar 25th 2009, 02:10 PM

I'm off topic too, but curious.

This sounds interesting. We do not have a place like this in East Texas. Does anyone know of a place to rent and shoot full auto guns around East Texas? My kids have never fired any and i know this would be a great family outing :)

Drums4Him
Mar 26th 2009, 01:09 AM
When you say "machine gun" what exactly do you mean? Many people call anything that fires fast a "machine gun".

Here is a link to the place, it's in Las Vegas Nevada. I don't know I have never been there, has anyone been there?

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/gunrental.html

Buck shot
Mar 26th 2009, 01:42 PM
I wonder if there prices are going up after the new tax on ammo goes in effect :B

HisLeast
Mar 26th 2009, 02:34 PM
Here is a link to the place, it's in Las Vegas Nevada. I don't know I have never been there, has anyone been there?

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/gunrental.html

I've been there twice. First of all, the place is super busy, so expect to wait around for a while. Second, the staff isn't necessarily about customer service. I wanted to shoot pistols and was told "Look, people have been shooting pistols all morning, we have no loaded magazines left, and frankly I'll be d---ed if I'm going to load another one right now. Pick something else."

The range staff are a lot more friendly... and did their best to encourage my wife to fire off the rest of her magazine after the first shot. :rofl:

Drums4Him
Mar 26th 2009, 03:10 PM
I've been there twice. First of all, the place is super busy, so expect to wait around for a while. Second, the staff isn't necessarily about customer service. I wanted to shoot pistols and was told "Look, people have been shooting pistols all morning, we have no loaded magazines left, and frankly I'll be d---ed if I'm going to load another one right now. Pick something else."

The range staff are a lot more friendly... and did their best to encourage my wife to fire off the rest of her magazine after the first shot. :rofl:

I might do it....take a Vegas vaction and try this. I did some research and heard that the staff is a little condensending to people from California, (like me), but I would really like to try one of those "Chicago typewriters".

By the way, your avitar is cool, Vince from Sham Wow. Those commercials are funny

HisLeast
Mar 26th 2009, 03:26 PM
I might do it....take a Vegas vaction and try this. I did some research and heard that the staff is a little condensending to people from California, (like me), but I would really like to try one of those "Chicago typewriters".
Yeah. I'm not from Cali but I got the condescension pretty thick. Just gotta deal with it unfortunately. Don't know where you'll be staying in Vegas, but the Gun Store is a ways off the strip. Firing range fees plus cab ride make it a pretty expensive outing for the time, so just make sure you really want to do it. :)
When I went I fired an MP5 and my wife fired (once) some automatic weapon made by Beretta which I found surprising. Apparently its the starter model that the let kids fire, but my wife hated it. :P

By the way, your avitar is cool, Vince from Sham Wow. Those commercials are funny
The ShamWow commercial is great, but the SlapChop commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs) is even better. I hope he does more.

Drums4Him
Mar 26th 2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah. I'm not from Cali but I got the condescension pretty thick. Just gotta deal with it unfortunately. Don't know where you'll be staying in Vegas, but the Gun Store is a ways off the strip. Firing range fees plus cab ride make it a pretty expensive outing for the time, so just make sure you really want to do it. :)
When I went I fired an MP5 and my wife fired (once) some automatic weapon made by Beretta which I found surprising. Apparently its the starter model that the let kids fire, but my wife hated it. :P

The ShamWow commercial is great, but the SlapChop commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs) is even better. I hope he does more.

Thanks for sharing the SlapChop ad. He does a nice over the shoulder toss right into the sink! I was impressed:rofl:

dan
Apr 30th 2009, 04:47 PM

...Have you guys been? I think that 34 states allow the ownership of machine guns and even some that don't allow gun stores to rent them out for use on their ranges.

The smaller stores don't have the selection, but Uzi's, MAC's, and MP5's are common.

I've been to some. Arizona, Ohio, Georgia, and Minnesota, to name a few.

http://gunsoffreedom.com/

dan
Apr 30th 2009, 04:59 PM
Long time CCer. Range Safety Officer at local rifle & pistol club. Practical Personal Defense Trainer, Moderator on 2 gun boards, one solely dedicated to CC. I address the top 2 statements.

1. Gangs arming themselves w/ less effort & expense is incorrect.
To purchase a firearm there is an extensive background check. ANY felony conviction will disqualify & the attempted purchase is rejected. There are a lot of misdemenors that disqualify. Gangs or other convicted felons will continue to steel, or buy stolen arms to do their evil violence.
The argument of gunfights in the streets over trivials has been used since Florida passed the 1st Concealed Weapons laws. It has NEVER materialized. Gang members, covicted felons, domestic violence, many misdemenors, (in Texas delinquent on child support, or a student loan) all will disqualify a person from getting a CC permit. Carrying a gun does not change what is inside. It provides a tool to address what takes place outside.
2. Concerning Schools I can only speak w/ certainty about Texas. Schools are a gun free zone in Texas. Any School. Public, Private, Grade School or College. The places that have not been defined in law are the places like Barber College.
Being gun free that makes them Victim Rich. Folks bent on a Virgina Tech benge dont go to the local shooting range to start. They go where they know there is no defense. In Texas there has not been a return fire resolution by a non-LEO to any school or church shooting yet. In the places that CC is not allowed, it is still legal to have your gun in the vehicle in the parking lot. One of the anti arguments has been gunfights over contested parking spaces. It has not materialized anywhere in the nation. Folks that pass the above background check may get agrivated over someone beating them to a space but they do not get killing mad.

An armed society is a polite society.
LT

...Just like to add that phony ID is so easy to obtain that gangers just buy their own guns still, in many cases.

Also, I think WA may have passed the first ccw law in 1960. In Vermont and Alaska, no permit is required. Texas used to be that way too, and Ohio. Come to think of it, no state required a permit system, until they made money off of it.:rofl:

I guess that figures.

HisLeast
Apr 30th 2009, 05:15 PM
...Have you guys been? I think that 34 states allow the ownership of machine guns and even some that don't allow gun stores to rent them out for use on their ranges.

The smaller stores don't have the selection, but Uzi's, MAC's, and MP5's are common.

I've been to some. Arizona, Ohio, Georgia, and Minnesota, to name a few.

http://gunsoffreedom.com/

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

dan
May 1st 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

...Just saying that you don't need to travel to Nevada to shoot a machine gun. There are some gun shops that have them available to shoot at their on-the-premises ranges.

HisLeast
May 1st 2009, 01:39 AM
...Just saying that you don't need to travel to Nevada to shoot a machine gun. There are some gun shops that have them available to shoot at their on-the-premises ranges.

I didn't go to Vegas just to shoot at the gun store.

MontanaCowboy
May 1st 2009, 01:40 AM
I carry every where. Even in Church.

dan
May 1st 2009, 01:48 AM
I didn't go to Vegas just to shoot at the gun store.

...Said you did. But for those that just want to shoot the machine guns, you probably won't have to go to Vegas. Just FYI.

Also, all the places that I went to are not that busy, and very courteous.