PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Meal

markedward
Apr 24th 2008, 06:31 AM
It's sad that the best meal on earth is probably the deadliest (via calories).

My and a couple of friends went out to Wendy's a bit ago and got the Baconators. This is probably the fifth one I've had, but each time I eat one I have to wait three months or so before having another.

I got about 9/10 of the way through this one before feeling like I had to die.

Duane Morse
Apr 24th 2008, 07:50 AM
It's a sad day when the 'greatest meal' comes from Wendy's.
(or any fast food)

Sad, sad, sad.

Perhaps you need to learn how to cook really good meals, instead of relying on a fast-food chain.

Tru_Knyte
Apr 24th 2008, 07:52 AM
Pretty much anything that comes off of a grill. :P

Toolman
Apr 24th 2008, 01:56 PM
Pretty much anything that comes off of a grill. :P

Pretty much anything that comes out of a smoker :P

I'll take the smoker over the grill any day... low and slow cooking of meat is the best!

markedward
Apr 24th 2008, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you need to learn how to cook really good meals, instead of relying on a fast-food chain.Seriously, this statement assumes a lot about me.

First, you assume I don't know how to cook... who said I couldn't? Oh, right, no one.

Second, you assume I rely on fast-food for all of my meals... who said I did? Again, the answer is nobody.

Third, you assume I actually have my own kitchen to cook in... where is it? I sure don't see one in my 12'x10' dorm room.

You don't honestly think I actually think the Baconator is the "greatest meal" on earth do you? It was a joke. Do you always have to criticize every thread you encounter?

Buck shot
Apr 25th 2008, 02:41 PM
What is the greatest meal to ya'll?

I am having problems with this. Pretty much anything with meat!

Venison Backstraps (deepfried)
Medium rare steak with some fresh horse radish
BBQ Ribs
Bacon Cheeseburger (yes MarkEdward, I would put that in the list)
Smoked Bacon, fresh out of the smokehouse
Fish cooked on a fire at the lake...

Man, is my mouth watering...

markedward
Apr 25th 2008, 03:08 PM
I vastly prefer fruit over any other food. They have the widest array of flavors compared to most other foods. Apples, bananas, strawberries, grapes, kiwis, peanuts, watermelons, oranges. There's a few others I enjoy the taste of, but I don't particularly like the texture in my mouth (blueberries, cherries), or they're too strong (lemons, limes).

I'm not sure if I prefer a grilled steak or one cooked over a campfire.

And bacon of course. Ultra crispy.

lbeaty1981
Apr 25th 2008, 03:26 PM
Venison backstraps are quite tasty, although I prefer to season them for a couple of days, then grill 'em. I then slice 'em up and use 'em in fajitas. :D

HisLeast
Apr 25th 2008, 03:33 PM
Robert's Geico Grilled Chicken Breasts
(so easy a caveman could do it)

half cup or so of BBQ sauce
2 or 3 tablespoons or so of honey
palmfull (or so) of brown sugar
a sneeze of salt and a sneeze of pepper

Cover some chicken breasts with that. You should have some sauce left in the bottom of the bowl. Throw those on a CHARCOAL grill. Flip them over every 4 or 5 minutes and "re-sauce" the upward side with a basting brush. The sauce is going to char around the outside, and where it doesn't char you're going to have a nice glossy finish.

Slug1
Apr 25th 2008, 04:30 PM
The best meal I've had are my, "6 hour Ribs" slow smoked at 230-250 degrees for six hours :rolleyes: :lol:

Toolman
Apr 25th 2008, 06:33 PM
The best meal I've had are my, "6 hour Ribs" slow smoked at 230-250 degrees for six hours :rolleyes: :lol:

Ditto.. my babyback ribs are my best meal... Dry rubbed with lemon pepper rub.. then 4 hours in the smoker at 225. Then brown sugar rub and hit on the grill for about 5 minutes.

Booyah!... making them tonight in fact :)

Slug1
Apr 25th 2008, 06:44 PM
Ditto.. my babyback ribs are my best meal... Dry rubbed with lemon pepper rub.. then 4 hours in the smoker at 225. Then brown sugar rub and hit on the grill for about 5 minutes.

Booyah!... making them tonight in fact :)Nice, I like the KC cut ribs better... more to eat :lol:

lbeaty1981
Apr 25th 2008, 08:00 PM

Hmmmmm...if I recall, you live in the D/FW area, correct? If I leave work now, I should be able to get there by around 7:30 or so....:hmm:

Toolman
Apr 25th 2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmmmm...if I recall, you live in the D/FW area, correct? If I leave work now, I should be able to get there by around 7:30 or so....:hmm:

That will be just about perfect... I'll have a cold one waitin' for ya :lol:

"I thought happiness was Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror... but now happiness is Lubbock drawing nearer and nearer"

MrAnteater
Apr 26th 2008, 12:17 AM
Meat, and lots of it hot off the grill! Burgers, steak, venison, chicken, ribs, pork chops, it's all great! I love animals.....their delicious! :D

I could never be a vegetarian!

Toolman
Apr 26th 2008, 12:38 AM
Ok guys... I did a special "piece" with the ribs tonight... a 3 lbs. chub of bologna.

Learned that one from the old man. He used to smoke a chub of bologna for hours.. It is so delicious.

Serve it as an appetizer with some sharp cheddar cheese and your favorite type of cracker (chicken in a biskit for a real red-neck treat ;)).

The kids absolutely devoured it tonight. Had to slow 'em down so they had room for ribs! Good thing I have 4 boys... they can EAT!!

http://www.smoking-meat.com/Smoking_Meat_Newsletter-Smoking_Meat_Newsletter-Smoked-Bologna.html

http://www.kraftfoods.com/images/ocpimages/44000/00293cl.gif

lbeaty1981
Apr 26th 2008, 03:59 PM
"I thought happiness was Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror... but now happiness is Lubbock drawing nearer and nearer"

I actually encountered both parts of that song. Left Lubbock for a job in oklahoma in 2003, then came to my senses and moved back about a year and a half later. :lol:

JIML
Apr 27th 2008, 07:25 AM

Dang it T-man, you've just made me so hungry I won't be able to fall asleep tonight.

Toolman
Apr 27th 2008, 07:03 PM
Dang it T-man, you've just made me so hungry I won't be able to fall asleep tonight.

hehe... that's my job :lol:

It's Sunday so we're planning a big family meal tonight.

I'm going to smoke out 2 beer-can chickens and another chub of bologna (1.5 lbs.).

The wife is going to make fried okra, french fries and brown-n-serve rolls. Brownies for dessert!

Its going to be a good day :D

Artist: Morgan Craig
Song: That's What I Love About Sunday
Album: My Kind of Livin

Raymond's in his Sunday best,
He's usually up to his chest in oil an' grease.
There's the Martin's walkin' in,
With that mean little freckle-faced kid,
Who broke a window last week.
Sweet Miss Betty likes to sing off key in the pew behind me.

That's what I love about Sunday:
Sing along as the choir sways;
Every verse of Amazin' Grace,
An' then we shake the Preacher's hand.
Go home, into your blue jeans;
Have some chicken an' some baked beans.
Pick a back yard football team,
Not do much of anything:
That's what I love about Sunday.

I stroll to the end of the drive,
Pick up the Sunday Times, grab my coffee cup.
It looks like Sally an' Ron, finally tied the knot,
Well, it's about time.
It's 35 cents off a ground round,
Baby. cut that coupon out!

That's what I love about Sunday:
Cat-napping on the porch swing;
You curled up next to me,
The smell of jasmine wakes us up.
Take a walk down a back road,
Tackle box and a cane pole;
Carve our names in that white oak,
An' steal a kiss as the sun fades,
That's what I love about Sunday,
Oh, yeah.

Ooh, new believers gettin' baptized,
Momma's hands raised up high,
Havin' a Hallelujah good time
A smile on everybody's face.
Oh, yeah.

Oh, yeah.

lbeaty1981
Apr 27th 2008, 09:25 PM
hehe... that's my job :lol:

It's Sunday so we're planning a big family meal tonight.

I'm going to smoke out 2 beer-can chickens and another chub of bologna (1.5 lbs.).

The wife is going to make fried okra, french fries and brown-n-serve rolls. Brownies for dessert!

Its going to be a good day :D

That sounds just about right for feeding 4 boys, but what are you and the wife going to eat? :confused

Gulah Papyrus
May 2nd 2008, 03:49 AM
Best meal in the entire universe is a Whiskey Filet/MR with a side of sauteed shrooms, Baked Potato w/Works, Salad Bar and a tooth crackin' cold Bud draft in the frosted 16 oz pilsner at The Drover here in Omaha, NE...there are steak houses, and there is The Drover!! I'm feeling a little faint just thinking about it.

If you are EVER in the neighborhood you MUST see for yourself...you won't be disappointed!

lbeaty1981
May 2nd 2008, 01:16 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when one thinks the best meal in the universe could come out of Nebraska. Come to Texas if you think you can handle a real steakhouse. ;)

Toolman
May 2nd 2008, 01:44 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when one thinks the best meal in the universe could come out of Nebraska. Come to Texas if you think you can handle a real steakhouse. ;)

My exact thought!

Gulah Papyrus
May 2nd 2008, 07:04 PM
Come to Texas if you think you can handle a real steakhouse. ;)

Been there, done that...no comparison.:) Don't tell me you're Shorthorn fans too?:eek:

Toolman
May 2nd 2008, 07:58 PM
Been there, done that...no comparison.:) Don't tell me you're Shorthorn fans too?:eek:

According to CitySearch "The Drover" gets a mere 4.5 while Del Frisco's in Ft. Worth gets a 5 star rating :)

Del Frisco's (http://dallas.citysearch.com/profile/9742751?raid=2792088&raid=2791934)

The Drover (http://national.citysearch.com/profile/6454537/omaha_ne/drover.html)

Gulah Papyrus
May 3rd 2008, 02:18 AM
According to CitySearch "The Drover" gets a mere 4.5 while Del Frisco's in Ft. Worth gets a 5 star rating :)

Del Frisco's (http://dallas.citysearch.com/profile/9742751?raid=2792088&raid=2791934)

The Drover (http://national.citysearch.com/profile/6454537/omaha_ne/drover.html)

You must take into account the Texas-bias of City Search. ;) The fact that a little ole hole-in-the-wall like the Drover even gets a mention, let alone 4.5 stars, should tell you that it is a very 'special' place.

GodlyDads
May 4th 2008, 01:22 AM
My wife makes this good chicken with fire roasted tomatoes, eggplant, garlic, and mozerella cheese (and other spices). It's AMAZING!!! I have her make it for me every father's day, birthday, or any other time I can talk her into making it. It's the best meal I've ever had.