PDA

View Full Version : Taking Every Thought Into Captivity

VerticalReality
Apr 25th 2008, 03:11 PM
How extensively do you all follow the direction given by Paul in 2 Corinthians 10 when he instructs that we take every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ? How thoroughly do you all examine your thoughts and make sure they are in agreement with God's perfect will for your life?

Folks would be amazed how much the enemy tries to work through their thoughts if they would only pay a little attention to all the things going through their mind. It doesn't always necessarily have to be wicked or sinful things either. The world will try to consume our thoughts if we allow it. The more our mind is consumed with worldly things the less transformed to His will we are going to be.

Thoughts?

threebigrocks
Apr 25th 2008, 03:14 PM
It's a matter of self control, to catch things and change what is there in that moment so that a permanent change can take root as we become more tuned into where our mind is more often.

My heart's Desire
Apr 26th 2008, 03:35 AM
I know one thing and that is when I know that a thought is unwholesome, unclean or anything I know is wrong or that the Holy Spirit convicts me of I guess you can say, I don't allow it to become an action. I replace it with the Word.

walked
Apr 27th 2008, 08:11 AM
I have a horrible time taking every thought captive.

Honestly,
I am the stony ground where the seed of truth is dropped, I receive it gladly and hold it long enough for Gods Spirit to confirm its truth to me, but before long it is taken away or made null by my choice to regard what ever pops into my mind........
This is the/our enemy at work, this is the enemies mode of operation, how he (the enemy) robs kills and destroys.
If I could just take my thoughts captive my mind would be a sanctuary full of the knowledge of God, a mind guarded and continually fed by His word.

How many times have I came to the conclusion that I am just not fit or worthy to continue to seek Gods mercy and grace, because I am like a cleaned up pig which returns to its filth.
How many times have I came to the conclusion that I am just building up Gods wrath on my account by me continuing to seek His tender mercies and His long suffering patience and His deep endless compassion for His creation, because I am like a dog cleaned up but then returns to its own vomit.

Thank you for creating this tread, practicing taking every thought captive is so very important, something I find myself neglecting to do and then confounded and disappointed when I fail and am robbed.
It is just as important as getting to know God by feeding on His word, but if we don't take every thought captive then what we just fed on will be taken from us by the enemy and destroyed.
We all need to be reminded of how our enemy works to rob and destroy us, and how Gods mercy and long suffering patience is our salvation.

The solid undeniable evidence of His goodness brings my repentance.
I fear His wrath, but not as much as I desire His mercy and patience with me always returning to Him after I fail and am robbed.

brakelite
Apr 27th 2008, 08:41 AM
Yep, the spiritual warfare Paul talks about is real, and the prize is our minds. We have two natures that are at war with one another. The old man which we must daily nail to the cross, and the new man which is renewed by the Spirit of God.
As the old man dies, the new man lives. Which one lives depends upon which one we feed.
We feed on worldly entertainment such as popular music, movies and sports, etc, the old man will thrive. But if we Eph 4:22 put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23 And be renewed in the spirit of our mind;
24 And put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
then we are allowing God to take control of our minds, and our thoughts become captive to Jesus. The actions will inevitably follow.

Regards
BL

DannysGal
Apr 27th 2008, 08:13 PM
I have literally written this scripture down before and carried it with me! When I first became a Christian and satan would always throw my past sins in my face I would picture his words going up against a brick wall that God put up for my protection. I would say this scripture out loud and think on Godly things and it helped me to begin the process of forgiving myself.

One of my favorite songs is Slow to Fade by Casting Crowns and it speaks a bit of this. The chorus sings "it's a slow fade when black and white turns to grey and thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid" and so I think of this scripture when I hear it.

It's not a far distance from our thoughts to our lips/hands and if we allow ungodly thoughts to invade we will find ourselves in a mess. If we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ then we're less likely to allow ourselves to be in sin.

Survivorgirl837
Apr 28th 2008, 03:16 AM
Thank you for mentioning past sins in this thread Dannysgal! I never thought of that Scripture in regards to that. I have a hard time not letting go of past things, and thinking of this Scripture will help me! :pp

Kind of on these lines, a book that really helped me is Lies Women Believe. It shows areas where we tend to have the wrong mindset. I think it goes along with this thought, that once we find these areas, we are to bring them into captivity and work to fix the wrong thought patterns. (Guys, I am not sure if there is a book for you on this subject...:hmm:)

Teke
Apr 28th 2008, 02:19 PM
How extensively do you all follow the direction given by Paul in 2 Corinthians 10 when he instructs that we take every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ? How thoroughly do you all examine your thoughts and make sure they are in agreement with God's perfect will for your life?

Folks would be amazed how much the enemy tries to work through their thoughts if they would only pay a little attention to all the things going through their mind. It doesn't always necessarily have to be wicked or sinful things either. The world will try to consume our thoughts if we allow it. The more our mind is consumed with worldly things the less transformed to His will we are going to be.

Thoughts?

It's a good idea to keep our small minds in obedience. As how we think is known by what we speak. Even when we do so lightly.

Just last week I recall a person who has been considering Christianity for some time now and how they asked me about what some Christians had said about some other Christians. To the person it didn't seem as though Christians were very Christ like to other Christians. IOW it caused them to pause when considering what Christianity makes a person into.

Christ is risen! May He rise in us as well. :)

HisLeast
Apr 28th 2008, 02:36 PM
Thoughts?

They're currently captive and undergoing processing. :lol:

VerticalReality
Apr 29th 2008, 02:32 AM
They're currently captive and undergoing processing. :lol:

Caught on to that one did ya?:lol:

HisLeast
Apr 30th 2008, 02:12 AM
Caught on to that one did ya?:lol:

Come on... you didn't want me to walk away from that one did you? :P

Anyway... I'm privately studying the Old Testament now. I plowed through Leviticus in a couple days (love taking the train!) and I'm 1/3 of the way through Numbers. What really struck home for me is the direness of sin. Stuff we wouldn't even bat an eyelash over was life destroying for an Isrealite in the wilderness. Even the "minor" stuff required animal sacrifices. In a community living in the dessert, that must have been economically devastating.

Its put a brand new perspective on reigning in sin and repenting in my life. If I were an Isrealite post-exodus I'd be in a whopping big load of trouble (if I wasn't already executed).

philloman
Apr 30th 2008, 03:18 AM
It's a matter of self control, to catch things and change what is there in that moment so that a permanent change can take root as we become more tuned into where our mind is more often.

Self-control is not the terminology I would use for it. How about Holy Ghost-control?

philloman
Apr 30th 2008, 03:21 AM
Yep, the spiritual warfare Paul talks about is real, and the prize is our minds. We have two natures that are at war with one another. The old man which we must daily nail to the cross, and the new man which is renewed by the Spirit of God.
As the old man dies, the new man lives. Which one lives depends upon which one we feed.
We feed on worldly entertainment such as popular music, movies and sports, etc, the old man will thrive. But if we Eph 4:22 put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;23 And be renewed in the spirit of our mind;
24 And put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
then we are allowing God to take control of our minds, and our thoughts become captive to Jesus. The actions will inevitably follow.

Regards
BL

Amen! Good words here!

VerticalReality
Apr 30th 2008, 12:54 PM
Self-control is not the terminology I would use for it. How about Holy Ghost-control?

Self-control is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

HisLeast
Apr 30th 2008, 02:20 PM

At what point are we responsible for our own thoughts and actions? If I'm doing something good, "thats the holy spirit". If I'm being tempted, "thats the devil talkin'". Each statement utterly removes me from responsibility. We're not leaves in a breeze, we're autonomous choosers. When we choose righteousness, WE choose it ourselves... its not a cosmic mind control event. When we choose rebellion, WE choose it ourselves... its not a wicked puppetmaster pulling our strings.

The Village Idiot
Apr 30th 2008, 03:26 PM
As I read it, this passage gives direction to the tricky but very necessary question, "how do we relate to the society and culture in which we find ourselves."

My faith tradition has a doctine of "common grace;" it is not redemptive, but it is very necessary for life and society. This is common grace in the Mt 5:45 "he sends rain on the righteous and unrighteous alike" grace. Again, one need not be a Christian to know that the grass beneath our feet is green. Unbelievers have produced many great works of truth and beauty. Why is that?

It is because of common grace.

All truth is God's. The unbeliever may not know that, but (s)he does know truth--if not the great truth that all things consist in God. So in a sense, the unbeliever is operating on borrowed capital--truth that is borrowed (stolen?) from God.

This allows us a "point of contact" when meeting unbelievers. There is common ground between the believer and the unbeliever.

The critical point is to realize that while as all stand on the same ground, this is not neutral ground. Believer and unbeliever can know and affirm the truth that the grass is green. But that is not obedience to Jesus Christ.

Obedience to Jesus Christ means this:

God has so made the world and everything in it, that sunlight strikes all those blades of grass, bounces off it, enters the human eye, is focused through the lens of the eye, hits the retina, stimulates those old rods and cones, and sends messages to my brain that tells me that this grass is green.

Did I mention that all truth is God's?

brakelite
May 1st 2008, 10:08 AM
At what point are we responsible for our own thoughts and actions? If I'm doing something good, "thats the holy spirit". If I'm being tempted, "thats the devil talkin'". Each statement utterly removes me from responsibility. We're not leaves in a breeze, we're autonomous choosers. When we choose righteousness, WE choose it ourselves... its not a cosmic mind control event. When we choose rebellion, WE choose it ourselves... its not a wicked puppetmaster pulling our strings.

How easy it would be, God forbid, to progress this thread into a Calvin/Arminian debate. Please, let us not go there.
I agree, that we must not deny our responsibility in acting out Satan's suggestions. However, I am inclined to the view that because in us, there is no good thing, then any good we do, though we choose to do it, we can only do by the grace and power of God working in and through us.
When we are born, we enter Satan's ground. It is natural for us to follow him. Sin is easy. We don't have to choose to sin, it is a natural inclination of the heart and life. It is as natural to us as mooing is to cows. What we have great trouble in admitting is that even though we thoroughly enjoy sin as unregenerative persons, it is wrong. Period. And the mistake we make is continuing in it. There we find our guilt. We acknowledge our sin, we acknowledge the pleasure we take from it, but we refuse to admit the wickedness of it, and so refuse to seek a way out.
When we are shown how wicked sin really is by the grace of God we are struck by our own need of forgiveness and the mercy of God. And we choose to accept the forgiveness offered.(In my own case a friend asked me "do you think God approves of your lifestyle". The Holy Spirit used that simple question and I was confronted by the holiness of God, and the sinfulness of me). And we are born again. And for the rest of our lives we continue to live in a world dominated by an enemy who seeks to destroy us through manifold temptations, but God's promise is twofold. As we surrender our lives to Him, He lives inside us by His Spirit and transforms us into the very image (character) of our Savior.
And next to our names in the books of heaven there is a note written in blood;innocent.

But we must choose every day to submit to our heavenly Father, and the provision He has made for through His Son.
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Ro 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Souled Out
May 1st 2008, 03:02 PM

Great post, and just make this post long enough, I'm gonna' say a hearty Amen!