PDA

View Full Version : Drink deadly poinson and not die....

doglover87
Apr 26th 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi, I am a Christian and a friend and I have been discussing the bible. This friend of mine is not a Christian, but brought up a fact that in the bible it says that you can drink deadly poison and not die. I did not believe him and so asked him to show me. He pointed me to Mark 16: 15-19... I have typed it here.

15- He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

16- Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

17- And these signs will accompany those who believe. In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak new tongues;

18- they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

19- After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.

So, my question is... what is the answer here? I could not believe that it actually says that you can drink poison and not die. Jesus actually said this?!? I want to be able to go back to my friend and give him a reasonable explanation for this. I would appreciate any advice on this because I didn't really have any good explanation to tell my friend. Is it a metaphor for something else?

Also, why does it say that we can put our hands on sick people and cure them?? Thanks.

daughter
Apr 26th 2008, 09:44 PM
My son was saved on the seventeenth of October, 2006, at the age of ten. It was a Tuesday. On the Friday of that week, he went up to a man who was dying, asked if he could pray for him, and when the man said "yes", he'd took his hand, looked up to heaven, and asked the Lord to save him.

The next day this man, who was so ill he hadn't eaten in six months, (he'd been on a stomach peg) and wasn't expected to last the night, was sitting up, breathing independantly, and eating. When we walked into the hospital, (to visit my husband, who was on the same ward) the man was watching a music show and singing along, (incredibly, he could barely breathe with maximum assistance the day before) and later that night he was cheering at the football.

Later on, about six weeks later, he did in fact die. But this time, he wasn't afraid. He'd talked to my son since his "miracle" cure, accepted Jesus, and was glad to be going home. A ten year old boy laid hands on a sick man... and he was made well. Not just well... but eternally and forever saved. (The man had been an athiest for over sixty years.)

God DOES perform miracles... but only ever for HIS glory.

If I was to drink poison and say, "God will deliver me..." then I'd die for my presumptuous pride, in tempting God.

But I do believe that if someone tried to poison me, to stop me from preaching the gospel, it wouldn't work, if God had a reason to keep me alive.

Remember, Paul was bitten by a snake, and it did him no harm.

Athanasius
Apr 26th 2008, 09:47 PM
I agree with Daughter here. I think if we were in a situation where we were forced, or where we didn't purposely allow ourselves to get bitten or drink poison, then we would be healed.

I know there is a group in the US known as Snake Handlers and they believe this portion of scripture. The leader died from a snake bite, so have a few others in the group. They go around purposely handling poisonous snakes. . .So, that also speaks volumes.

Survivorgirl837
Apr 28th 2008, 03:25 AM
I think you need to look at the context of this passage. Jesus was sending out His disciples to the surrounding areas, and gave them these promises.

Can you apply them to us today? I am not totally sure. I do agree that the Lord does do miracles, but I don't think He is telling us specifically to lay hands on and drink poison.

On a side note about drinking poison, my mom had cancer recently, and someone gave her the drinking poison verse in reference to having chemo. I know it was a comfort to her, and the Lord allowed her to have minimal sickness (although she did lose all her hair, and had some nausaea, it was mild compared to what it could have been).

Br. Barnabas
Apr 28th 2008, 02:11 PM
Any modern translation of the Bible will say that his passage is not found in the oldest and most reliable of the manuscripts of Mark. Mark ends with 16:8. So people that base theology and church paratice off of these verses are not really basing it off the Bible.

Now all that is not to say that stuff like that does not happen. God will perform miracles and allow miracles to be preformed. However, I don't think that I would ever handle deadly snakes or drink poison because of these verses. I would also not suggest that people do it. "Do not put the Lord your God to the test." Matthew 4:7

2 Peter 2:20
Apr 28th 2008, 03:24 PM
I think you need to look at the context of this passage. Jesus was sending out His disciples to the surrounding areas, and gave them these promises.

Can you apply them to us today? I am not totally sure. I do agree that the Lord does do miracles, but I don't think He is telling us specifically to lay hands on and drink poison.

On a side note about drinking poison, my mom had cancer recently, and someone gave her the drinking poison verse in reference to having chemo. I know it was a comfort to her, and the Lord allowed her to have minimal sickness (although she did lose all her hair, and had some nausaea, it was mild compared to what it could have been).

It says "and these signs will follow them that believe" and not "and these signs will follow you (Apostles) that believe".

Although Jesus was speaking to the apostles the spectrum of His comment was broader than that.

16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe:

RogerW
Apr 28th 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi, I am a Christian and a friend and I have been discussing the bible. This friend of mine is not a Christian, but brought up a fact that in the bible it says that you can drink deadly poison and not die. I did not believe him and so asked him to show me. He pointed me to Mark 16: 15-19... I have typed it here.

15- He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

16- Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

17- And these signs will accompany those who believe. In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak new tongues;

18- they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

19- After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God.

So, my question is... what is the answer here? I could not believe that it actually says that you can drink poison and not die. Jesus actually said this?!? I want to be able to go back to my friend and give him a reasonable explanation for this. I would appreciate any advice on this because I didn't really have any good explanation to tell my friend. Is it a metaphor for something else?

Also, why does it say that we can put our hands on sick people and cure them?? Thanks.

Greetings doglover,

This passage tells us that five signs will be manifest in ALL who believe. These five signs are: (1) in Christ name they shall cast out demons (2) they shall speak with new tongues (3) they shall take up serpents (4) if they drink deadly poison it will not hurt them (5) they shall lay hands on the sick and they will recover.

How do believers today cast out demons? When we become believers, we come with the power of God to spread the gospel of Salvation which casts out devils. We are the vessels which God uses to accomplish His work of salvation. It is our commission to go forth with the Word of God that the evil spirit of bondage be expelled from the people whom God hath chosen out of the world. If we have the 'faith of Christ,' all things are possible and we come with power. This is the faith which is lacking in unbelief, but which is seen in those who truly believe.

We are the messengers of the Church, sent to baptize and preach the gospel that many may not any longer have Satan as ruler in their lives. When he is cast out by the Word we testify of, they are being set free from the bondage whereby he held them.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

How do believers speak with a new tongue? Those who believe speak with the new language of God, a spiritual language which only those in Christ can understand. In Christ's Name those who believe do speak in new languages as the gospel of the Kingdom is preached to every nation and in every tongue. And no matter what tongue or language the people of those nations hear it in, they will understand. Because the gospel message is a language that transcends cultures and peoples and nationalities. It is the only Universal language that 'only' those who believe can understand. For unbelievers will think it foolishness.

Isa 50:4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

How shall believers take up serpents and not be harmed? Satan is this serpent that believers can take up without being harmed. That is the security that every soul who believes possesses.

Re 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

How do believers drink deadly poison and not be harmed by it? God is telling us that the poison of wicked men's words cannot harm us. That is what the deadly drink 'signifies.'

Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

How shall believers lay hands upon the sick and they shall recover? God here is not promising those who believe that they can heal physically sick people by laying on of hands. If this were the case then Trophimus would not have been left at Miletus sick.

2Ti 4:20 Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick.

The unsaved are pictured in the Bible as those who are sick, and in need of a doctor.

Mt 9:12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
Mt 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

The phrase, 'lay hands on the sick' is illustrating that we are the ones who are bringing this healing gospel to the sick. By coming with the Word of God in our hands, those sinners (sick) are healed by the stripes of Christ (Isa 53:5), who died specifically for that purpose.

Mt 8:16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
Mt 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

So, when we look for the spiritual fulfillment of this passage, we find harmony of Scripture. These five signs do indeed follow every believer.

Many Blessings,
RW

Naphal
Apr 29th 2008, 08:13 AM
I could not believe that it actually says that you can drink poison and not die. Jesus actually said this?!?

It's actually not speaking of intentional acts...its accidental snake bites and accidental poisoning. We are not to tempt the Lord our God by intentionally harming ourselves so that God can save us.

Matthew 4:5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
Matthew 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

sudds
Apr 29th 2008, 05:46 PM
So, when we look for the spiritual fulfillment of this passage, we find harmony of Scripture. These five signs do indeed follow every believer.

Many Blessings,
RW I believe that RogerW is exactly right in his post as to the meaning of the verses in Mark 16:9-20. I do realize that these verses were added later, but by faith I believe God wanted us to have these scriptures included in His holy Word.

As Christians, we are in a spiritual kingdom, so why shouldn't we speak the "new" language of the spiritual kingdom. In fact, Jesus chides us for not understanding this language.

John 8:56. Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say.

I think we have an obligation to understand the spiritual truths given to us by the Word which in most part is in spiritual language. In addition, we will do even greater miracles than Jesus in the spiritual sense.

John 14:12. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will even do greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

I have personally and literally baptized dozens of people. Therefore, I was the instrument that raised dozens from the dead. In contrast, Jesus literally raised 3 people from the dead (that we know about).

My son is a recovered alcoholic, and I witnessed (over a two year period) a demon being driven out of him by the Word. He is now in college learning to be a preacher......the demon is not in him.

Anywhere in this world were there is a Christian Church, Jesus is working through the members by driving out demons, calming the storms in peoples lives, healing the spiritual sick, blind, and lame, and edifying and exhorting.

What a magnificent plan for mankind???

The Prodigal Son
Apr 29th 2008, 10:58 PM
Greetings doglover,

This passage tells us that five signs will be manifest in ALL who believe. These five signs are: (1) in Christ name they shall cast out demons (2) they shall speak with new tongues (3) they shall take up serpents (4) if they drink deadly poison it will not hurt them (5) they shall lay hands on the sick and they will recover.

How do believers today cast out demons? When we become believers, we come with the power of God to spread the gospel of Salvation which casts out devils. We are the vessels which God uses to accomplish His work of salvation. It is our commission to go forth with the Word of God that the evil spirit of bondage be expelled from the people whom God hath chosen out of the world. If we have the 'faith of Christ,' all things are possible and we come with power. This is the faith which is lacking in unbelief, but which is seen in those who truly believe.

We are the messengers of the Church, sent to baptize and preach the gospel that many may not any longer have Satan as ruler in their lives. When he is cast out by the Word we testify of, they are being set free from the bondage whereby he held them.

Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Mt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

How do believers speak with a new tongue? Those who believe speak with the new language of God, a spiritual language which only those in Christ can understand. In Christ's Name those who believe do speak in new languages as the gospel of the Kingdom is preached to every nation and in every tongue. And no matter what tongue or language the people of those nations hear it in, they will understand. Because the gospel message is a language that transcends cultures and peoples and nationalities. It is the only Universal language that 'only' those who believe can understand. For unbelievers will think it foolishness.

Isa 50:4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

How shall believers take up serpents and not be harmed? Satan is this serpent that believers can take up without being harmed. That is the security that every soul who believes possesses.

Re 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

How do believers drink deadly poison and not be harmed by it? God is telling us that the poison of wicked men's words cannot harm us. That is what the deadly drink 'signifies.'

Jas 3:8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

How shall believers lay hands upon the sick and they shall recover? God here is not promising those who believe that they can heal physically sick people by laying on of hands. If this were the case then Trophimus would not have been left at Miletus sick.

The unsaved are pictured in the Bible as those who are sick, and in need of a doctor.

Mt 9:12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
Mt 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

The phrase, 'lay hands on the sick' is illustrating that we are the ones who are bringing this healing gospel to the sick. By coming with the Word of God in our hands, those sinners (sick) are healed by the stripes of Christ (Isa 53:5), who died specifically for that purpose.

Mt 8:16 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
Mt 8:17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

Many Blessings,
RW

Right on, RogerW!

God doesn't always tell us when he is speaking parabolically. Other examples of this are when John the Baptist introduced Christ as the "Behold the Lamb of God!" [Jhn 1:21] and Jesus wasn't a literal lamb.

Or more on point...

He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

I've never seen water flowing out of someone's belly.

I am convinced that if we don't understand the parables, we will not have the key that unlocks scripture.

Paul

Apr 30th 2008, 02:04 AM
Greetings doglover,

Many Blessings,
RW

This is very well structured and nicely stated...but it would be the typical response of someone who doesn't believe in the spiritual gifts or that they ended with the apostles. How many physical acts of laying on of hands are recorded after Jesus spoke the words? I can think of several. I even recall one instance where Paul raised one that was dead with some touching. So it is not only the bringing of the Word to the lost as you put it.

Apr 30th 2008, 02:06 AM
Right on, RogerW!

God doesn't always tell us when he is speaking parabolically. Other examples of this are when John the Baptist introduced Christ as the "Behold the Lamb of God!" [Jhn 1:21] and Jesus wasn't a literal lamb.

Physical lamb...no
Spiritual Lamb...yes

The Prodigal Son
Apr 30th 2008, 09:39 PM
Physical lamb...no
Spiritual Lamb...yes

We agree on that.

Also note that the bible doesn't record John the Baptist giving an explanation that he was speaking spiritually and not physically.

RogerW
May 1st 2008, 12:09 PM
This is very well structured and nicely stated...but it would be the typical response of someone who doesn't believe in the spiritual gifts or that they ended with the apostles. How many physical acts of laying on of hands are recorded after Jesus spoke the words? I can think of several. I even recall one instance where Paul raised one that was dead with some touching. So it is not only the bringing of the Word to the lost as you put it.

But Paul was an apostle: Ro 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (also see 1Co 1:1; 2Co 1:1; Gal 1:1; Eph 1:1; Col 1:1; 1Ti 1:1; 2Ti 1:1; Tit 1:1). So how many people have been physically raised from the physically dead after the last of the apostles died?

Many Blessings,
RW

VerticalReality
May 1st 2008, 03:28 PM
So how many people have been physically raised from the physically dead after the last of the apostles died?

Many Blessings,
RW

How could one calculate such a thing, or are you trying to say that since you have never seen anyone raised from the dead it must not be truly happening?

RogerW
May 1st 2008, 05:30 PM
How could one calculate such a thing, or are you trying to say that since you have never seen anyone raised from the dead it must not be truly happening?

Have you ever seen one physically dead (I don't mean those pronounced clinically dead and brought back to life through means of medical intervention). I mean have you ever seen one who is without doubt physically dead, (a stinking rotting corspe) and someone proclaiming to have super natural powers brought them back from the dead through a word or physical touch as the apostles and Christ did? This is the proof of super natural ability, because to say one is brought back to life after being clinically dead cannot be proven.

Who's to say the one pronounced clinically dead was physically dead indeed? Very obviously absence of vital organ activity is not proof of literal physical death. If it were then any whose vital organs have ceased could not be returned to life through medical intervention. We may say they have retuned functioning organs, but none can say they were absolutely physically dead and brought back to life. Why? How do I know this? Because God tells us in His Word that every man is given a time to be born and a time to die, therefore it is God and God alone who says when one is dead, and none can usurp His will. We have evidence from His Word that those brought back to life from physical death were indeed physically dead. God willed this to be to authenticate both the message and the messenger. We have no proof after the apostles that any was indeed physically dead and raised to physical life. All we have are unverifiable claims, and false workers preying on the desperate.

Ec 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

Many Blessings,
RW

The Prodigal Son
May 1st 2008, 08:17 PM
This doctrine of 'laying on of hands' is something that the true believers were/are to understand.

Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

There are many examples of laying on of hands recorded in the bible, and contrary to what some might think, it didn't always bode well for the one who was the recipient.

Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard [him] lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him.

It's important to understand everything the bible has to say about a subject.

VerticalReality
May 1st 2008, 10:03 PM
Have you ever seen one physically dead (I don't mean those pronounced clinically dead and brought back to life through means of medical intervention). I mean have you ever seen one who is without doubt physically dead, (a stinking rotting corspe) and someone proclaiming to have super natural powers brought them back from the dead through a word or physical touch as the apostles and Christ did? This is the proof of super natural ability, because to say one is brought back to life after being clinically dead cannot be proven.

Who's to say the one pronounced clinically dead was physically dead indeed? Very obviously absence of vital organ activity is not proof of literal physical death. If it were then any whose vital organs have ceased could not be returned to life through medical intervention. We may say they have retuned functioning organs, but none can say they were absolutely physically dead and brought back to life. Why? How do I know this? Because God tells us in His Word that every man is given a time to be born and a time to die, therefore it is God and God alone who says when one is dead, and none can usurp His will. We have evidence from His Word that those brought back to life from physical death were indeed physically dead. God willed this to be to authenticate both the message and the messenger. We have no proof after the apostles that any was indeed physically dead and raised to physical life. All we have are unverifiable claims, and false workers preying on the desperate.

Ec 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

Many Blessings,
RW

I've never been presented with the opportunity to be around a situation where someone died and I needed to pray for them. However, just because I have not experienced it first hand does not mean it isn't possible. I wasn't around to see Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead, but I believe it still happened. I wasn't around to see Paul raise anyone from the dead, but God's Word records that it did indeed take place.

I have never been personally present to see someone in a with a broken leg instantly healed. However, I have witnessed healings of other body parts and other diseases. Since I haven't witnessed firsthand that healing of a broken leg does that now make it something that is impossible?

Perhaps folks should believe God regardless of their experience.