PDA

View Full Version : In the Old Testament.. multiple wives etc

Jeanne D
Apr 28th 2008, 07:07 PM
In the Old Testament we see where the men had multiple wives and concubines etc. I believe David had something like 300.
I know that wasn't God's plan, yet it doesn't seem as though HE really addressed that issue at the time. What are your thoughts on this??

Jeanne

Athanasius
Apr 28th 2008, 07:10 PM
David had 300 wives? Don't you mean Solomon?. . . And a few hundred concubines as well.
And yeah, those wives caused a lot of trouble. . .

Jeanne D
Apr 28th 2008, 07:15 PM
Oops my mistake, not David, but Solomon. Even so why do you suppose God didn't seem to really address the multiple wives issue.

Jeanne

markedward
Apr 28th 2008, 07:51 PM
It was stated as early as Genesis 2.

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

One man, one wife.

Buck shot
Apr 28th 2008, 08:03 PM
In the Old Testament we see where the men had multiple wives and concubines etc. I believe David had something like 300.
I know that wasn't God's plan, yet it doesn't seem as though HE really addressed that issue at the time. What are your thoughts on this??

Jeanne

What He did show us is that multiple wives=multiple troubles. I would be very interested in someone finding a Bible story where the husband that had more than one wife that there was peace in the house.

It seemed that all of them that had more than one woman to have their children had a favorite and the children of the favorite were special.

We can learn a lesson here by example instead of words from Lord. ;)

AliveinChristDave
Apr 28th 2008, 08:35 PM
I Kings 11:9 says the Lord was angry with Solomon for turning his heart away from Him.
11:4 says his wives caused him to do this so, even though the Lord doesn't explicitly denounce his 700 wives and 300 concubines, He insinuates strongly that Solomon's woes were because of them so in a round about way God dealt with his thirst for women.
Later in Proverbs Solomon teaches against "strange" women (Proverbs 5 and 6) so maybe he learned his lesson.

Jubal
Apr 28th 2008, 10:38 PM
In the Old Testament we see where the men had multiple wives and concubines etc.

JeanneMultiple wives were legal. I think the economy was different. Single women had a much harder time surviving than now. Wars may have caused a shortage of men.

It is addressed here:

Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time. -Leviticus 18:18

If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn, by giving him a double portion of all that he hath: for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his. -Deuteronomy 21:15-17

Naphal
Apr 29th 2008, 07:57 AM
Multiple wives were legal. I think the economy was different. Single women had a much harder time surviving than now. Wars may have caused a shortage of men.

I don't know what the reasoning was but multiple wives were not prohibited in the OT but in the NT it is different and a man can only have one wife at a time.

Oddly enough, a king wasn't supposed to have multiple wives:

Deuteronomy 17:15 Thou shalt in any wise set him king over thee, whom the LORD thy God shall choose: one from among thy brethren shalt thou set king over thee: thou mayest not set a stranger over thee, which is not thy brother.
Deuteronomy 17:16 But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way.
Deuteronomy 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
Deuteronomy 17:18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:
Deuteronomy 17:19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:
Deuteronomy 17:20 That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

TEITZY
Apr 29th 2008, 10:40 AM
Here's (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=53466) an old thread on the subject. It's a bit long but it covers the main issues in a fair amount of detail.

Cheers
Leigh

walking4him
Apr 29th 2008, 12:30 PM
When mankind was in the Garden and under God's law it was one man one woman. Once we sinned then the multiple wives came into affect.

Brother Mark
Apr 29th 2008, 12:36 PM
Oops my mistake, not David, but Solomon. Even so why do you suppose God didn't seem to really address the multiple wives issue.

Jeanne

It was addressed but perhaps not in the way we would think.

David had an issue with lust. We see that with Bathsheba. He had 3 sons that that issue grew with. Solomon, whom you have already mentioned, Absolam and Ammon. Absolam slept with David's concubines in front of all of Israel and made himself "odious" in the sight of many. Ammon raped a woman that he loved and that love turned to hate.

Through all this, David lost many things and his kingdom was in an uproar.

God had spoken against and warned Solomon not to marry the foreign women but he did anyway and they led his heart from God.

You are right in this though, that God did not speak as much against the practice in the OT as he did the NT.

tgallison
May 1st 2008, 10:41 AM

Jeanne

Jeanne Greetings

Perhaps this goes back to the Garden of Eden. You have the tree of knowledge, of good and evil.

Solomon was given all knowledge.

Solomon said, "And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under the heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith."

Solomon said "And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

Perhaps this has to do with Revelation as well. "And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY BABLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."

terrell

ShirleyFord
May 1st 2008, 11:25 AM
If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn:

But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn, by giving him a double portion of all that he hath: for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his. -Deuteronomy 21:15-17

This I believe is a prophecy of the Coming of Jesus who was of the tribe of Judah according to His flesh.

Judah's mother was Leah, the one of Jacobs two wives (both sisters) that he didn't love.

Gen 35:23 The sons of Leah; Reuben, Jacob's firstborn, and Simeon, and Levi, and Judah, and Issachar, and Zebulun

Judah was Leah's youngest son:

Gen 29:35 And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.

On top of that, the line of Judah that Jesus came through was his son, Pharez, the son that Judah conceived who played the harlot who had been the wife of 2 of his sons.

Gen 38:24 And it came to pass about three months after, that it was told Judah, saying, Tamar thy daughter in law hath played the harlot; and also, behold, she is with child by whoredom. And Judah said, Bring her forth, and let her be burnt.

Gen 38:26 And Judah acknowledged them, and said, She hath been more righteous than I; because that I gave her not to Shelah my son. And he knew her again no more.

Gen 46:12 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=1&CHAP=46&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=12) And the sons of Judah; Er, and Onan, and Shelah, and Pharez, and Zarah: but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan. And the sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul

Then Jesus, of the tribe of Judah was born:
Matthew 1:3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

Shirley