PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from this forum..?

Hisw
Apr 30th 2008, 01:43 PM
This has been talked about since anytime but this question has bothered me for a while and i hope people here knows something to this..

Who is cain's wife.. and all the doubts surrounding this

markedward
Apr 30th 2008, 03:10 PM
Best guess: his sister.

Athanasius
Apr 30th 2008, 03:13 PM
I second Markedward.
There were no incest laws for quite a while, so it wasn't a 'sin' nor was it 'wrong'.

ShirleyFord
Apr 30th 2008, 03:37 PM
This has been talked about since anytime but this question has bothered me for a while and i hope people here knows something to this..

The Bible doesn't give us her name or anything about who she was or what her blood relation to Cain was.

Why should it bother you about who Cain's wife was?

I don't think we should concern ourselves with what is not written in the Bible. But take that which is written and accept it as the truth and believe and apply it.

crawfish
Apr 30th 2008, 03:43 PM
Was it Cain's sister?

Were humans created outside of Eden, separately from A&E, perhaps...gasp...evolved?

Who knows? The bible is silent on the matter. I'm a big believer in that, when scripture is ambiguous on a topic, it is every bit as purposeful as when the bible is very specific. In other words, don't hold any particular view on the subject as an article of faith.

IamBill
Apr 30th 2008, 03:46 PM

I would bite but I am likely going to be kicked and slapped for it.

So Hisw, I'll ask this - BEFORE Jesus was made flesh, What do you think God looked like ?

this is not an "off the wall" question, and will lead to others

Clifton
Apr 30th 2008, 04:07 PM

Ditto on Mark's response... I'll further add a scripture reference:

“After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters.” (Genesis 5:4 NKJV)

Blessings.

Athanasius
Apr 30th 2008, 05:00 PM
The Bible doesn't give us her name or anything about who she was or what her blood relation to Cain was.

I don't think we should concern ourselves with what is not written in the Bible. But take that which is written and accept it as the truth and believe and apply it.

It bothers people because otherwise things don't quite make sense. Only Adam and Eve are created in the garden, Cain all of a sudden has a wife and humans begin to populate earth. . .Presumably with very close blood relatives? What about incest, isn't that wrong? People just naturally have questions.

Some people find it an intriguing question, I know I do.

In terms of people 'evolving' outside of the garden and that's where Cain found his wife--absolutely not.. . . The two aren't compatible.

IamBill
Apr 30th 2008, 05:16 PM
I don't believe they were 'evolving' out-side of the garden either, But, perhaps they were there.

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

Note: if anyone will respond to me, then first give deep consideration and answer my first question -
BEFORE Jesus was made flesh, What do you think God looked like ?

Hisw
Apr 30th 2008, 05:17 PM

it bother me because incest is wrong and the children, scientifically would not be healthy babies(pardon me if i am wrong on this one)

Athanasius
Apr 30th 2008, 05:43 PM
I don't believe they were 'evolving' out-side of the garden either, But, perhaps they were there.

Ge 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them

Note: if anyone will respond to me, then first give deep consideration and answer my first question -

Male and female he created them, meaning, Adam and Eve.

Why don't you just tell us what you think of how Jesus looked before he was made flesh?

it bother me because incest is wrong and the children, scientifically would not be healthy babies(pardon me if i am wrong on this one)

There was nothing forbidding incest after the expulsion from the Garden.

IamBill
Apr 30th 2008, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by IamBill

Male and female he created them, meaning, Adam and Eve.

We defiantly assume it does! But Please note that in Gen 1 God "creates",
in Gen2. (with the exception of Eve), God "puts and plants"

Why don't you just tell us what you think of how Jesus looked before he was made flesh?
hum, thanks for participating. This isn't about "me".

Athanasius
Apr 30th 2008, 06:03 PM
hum, thanks for participating. This isn't about "me".

You posed the question, so what's the answer?

markedward
Apr 30th 2008, 07:16 PM
Then there came a voice from above the expanse over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.Pre-incarnate, though, arguably, it may be how He appears to man. His eternally existent being, I would think, transcends physical description.

When I read the "Let Us make man in Our image," I don't think it refers so much to a physical image, but rather to the spiritual image. We are, after all, the only earthly creatures with spiritual awareness.

Teke
Apr 30th 2008, 07:58 PM

Genesis chapter 1 God made mankind. Genesis chapter 2 is Adam's story.

grit
Apr 30th 2008, 08:22 PM
Not that it necessarily took place, and understanding the cultural and theological implications of having such as some part of early family models, incest was not proscribed until much later in the unfolding plan of God; and as to genetic health, the gene pool would have been almost at its purest form within the first family, so the genetic abnormalities of later imbreeding would not be a factor at this early stage of transfering genetic material from one generation to another.

In other words, though the Bible does not say where Cain's wife originated (though extrabiblical apocryphal texts indicate one of his unnamed sisters), it is indeed theologically distasteful to think it may have been his sister, though there would not have been the bio-genetic health concerns of later generations.

Just as the Bible says is true of the words and actions of Jesus ("Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." -John 21:25), not all God has done is recorded for us in the Scriptures, and there are many questions we have which God has chosen not to answer for us at this time.

With the Bible's silence on the matter I don't rule out other possibilities, and any speculations ought to be viewed in the light of God's purposeful silence, but I don't see why we could not entertain that perhaps God created a wife for Cain just as He did for Adam. However, one of the difficulties with such a theory, particularly as it touches the orthodox Christian teaching of Original Sin, is speculation as to whether or not such a new creative act would have rendered her (the wife) in a sinless state similar to Adam and Eve before the Fall (with God creating her as "very good"), or whether, being perhaps again "taken from" the man (Cain), she would have also partaken of his already present sinful state or nature.

markedward
Apr 30th 2008, 09:12 PM
Abraham's wife Sarah is explained in the Bible to be his half-sister by blood (that is, they shared one parent) and God did not directly denounce it, so it's not "wrong" to suggest that Cain's wife was most likely his whole-sister by blood.

Something I always wonder: why do people always ask "Who was Cain's wife?" yet never seem to wonder about Seth's wife?

9Marksfan
Apr 30th 2008, 09:24 PM
It has to be Cain's sister for the following reason:-

And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. Gen 3:20 NKJV

Teke
Apr 30th 2008, 09:41 PM
It has to be Cain's sister for the following reason:-

And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living. Gen 3:20 NKJV

She wasn't Adam's mother and he was "living".

That Cain and Seth married their sisters can only be referenced in the book of Jubilees and that isn't a reliable book.

9Marksfan
Apr 30th 2008, 09:46 PM
She wasn't Adam's mother and he was "living".

If you're going to be that picky, she wasn't mother to herself either! :P

The thing is, we're told how Adam was born - he didn't have a mother!

That Cain and Seth married their sisters can only be referenced in the book of Jubilees and that isn't a reliable book.

It can also be deduced from what we are told in Genesis 2, 3 and 4.

Clifton
Apr 30th 2008, 10:15 PM

Genesis 5:4 mentions that Adam fathered sons and daughters.

I found the Books of Adam and Eve quite touching. Not sure, but the Book of Jasher may also mention about the sons and daughters marrying each other as well. Since it was the beginning of humankind, obviously incest was not an issue until later on.

Blessings.

9Marksfan
Apr 30th 2008, 10:29 PM
Genesis 5:4 mentions that Adam fathered sons and daughters.

Sorry, meant to include ch5!

IamBill
May 1st 2008, 12:03 AM
Then there came a voice from above the expanse over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.

Pre-incarnate, though, arguably, it may be how He appears to man. His eternally existent being, I would think, transcends physical description.

Thankees ;)
Exactly, and even at that point ( I was suggesting Before creation), the terms are "like that of a man",
"appeared to be his waist up" ..It seems they are not quite certain what they are seeing or how to describe.
Now to back-up before there was anything capable of beholding such a sight. I find it hard to imagine that
God was a Man-like form floating out there in a Void of nothingness.
Yes, transcends physical description. Perhaps - "transcends physical" -> period.
I mean, this is((God)) we talking about.

When I read the "Let Us make man in Our image," I don't think it refers so much to a physical image, but rather to the spiritual image. We are, after all, the only earthly creatures with spiritual awareness.
I mostly agree there, Not only that, I understand it as a direct testament that we Are Indeed in the very physical form
that God 'imagined' us to look like. His 'vision' of what Mans 'physical appearance' will be. God's Image!
Not some final step of Macro evolution. and Not ..Oh! He must look like us.

Again, I speculate - 'Before' man was created.
In whatever way we could have 'visualized/described' God (IF we ever could have) -
would He really have Gender ? Be of Gender ? I mean, not how man has always imagined God to be,
But, putting our(mans) arrogance/ignorance aside, Was God indisputably "male" ?
...or None of the above (dual or genderless)?

... this is hard to put to words for me. and I'm not trying to bend anyones mind anyway or other. It just that this subject Is important to many people, but always leads to just tossing scripture back and forth, which obviously, never answers the questions. These are questions asked by many, yet they may be questions we Can answer. right under our noses.
I sure won't claim to know.

Buck shot
May 1st 2008, 03:15 AM
Ditto on Mark's response... I'll further add a scripture reference:

“After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters.” (Genesis 5:4 NKJV)

Blessings.
The only other thought that would make sense to me would be, that Cain might have married a niece. Probably a sister though. I don't see what the problem is with this. At that time mankind had not "de-evolved" (:lol:) to the sickly physical folks we are now. There were no bad genes to worry about giving a kid a double portion of.

Buck shot
May 1st 2008, 03:17 AM
Again, I speculate - 'Before' man was created.
In whatever way we could have 'visualized/described' God (IF we ever could have) -
would He really have Gender ? Be of Gender ? I mean, not how man has always imagined God to be,
But, putting our(mans) arrogance/ignorance aside, Was God indisputably "male" ?
...or None of the above (dual or genderless)?

Jesus called Him "Father". Sounds male to me... :rolleyes:

markedward
May 1st 2008, 03:35 AM
Jesus called Him "Father". Sounds male to me... :rolleyes:Jesus also referred to Himself with the analogy of a mother hen gathering her chicks.

Hosea described God as a mother bear robbed of "her" cubs.

Isaiah calls God a "mother" that "comforts her child" and also to a "woman" with a "nursing child."

God, through Jeremiah, equates the people making offerings to the "queen of heaven" with them having made offerings to God Himself.

The term "helper" that is applied to Eve in Genesis is used most often otherwise in reference to God.

No I'm not saying God is "female." But it should seem obvious that God is described in both masculine and feminine characteristics, and that He Himself transcends gender. If "there is neither male nor female" for humans beings who are united in Christ, how much moreso that Christ, and even God Himself, is neither male nor female.

Buck shot
May 1st 2008, 03:53 AM
Jesus also referred to Himself with the analogy of a mother hen gathering her chicks.

Hosea described God as a mother bear robbed of "her" cubs.

Isaiah calls God a "mother" that "comforts her child" and also to a "woman" with a "nursing child."

God, through Jeremiah, equates the people making offerings to the "queen of heaven" with them having made offerings to God Himself.

Jeremiah 44:25Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows.
26Therefore hear ye the word of the LORD, all Judah that dwell in the land of Egypt; Behold, I have sworn by my great name, saith the LORD, that my name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, The Lord GOD liveth. 27Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them.

These were not offerings to God but to false gods. Notice the punishment!

The term "helper" that is applied to Eve in Genesis is used most often otherwise in reference to God.

No I'm not saying God is "female." But it should seem obvious that God is described in both masculine and feminine characteristics, and that He Himself transcends gender. If "there is neither male nor female" for humans beings who are united in Christ, how much moreso that Christ, and even God Himself, is neither male nor female.

Even the angels (which are neither male or female) are seen as men. God is always refered to as He in the Bible. To be making Him into anything else is not scriptural. I agree that He posseses all attributes but we do not need to start thinking of the Almighty God as an it or he/she. HE is the great I AM.
Genesis 19: 15And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. 16And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.

markedward
May 1st 2008, 04:22 AM
Jeremiah 44:25Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows.
26Therefore hear ye the word of the LORD, all Judah that dwell in the land of Egypt; Behold, I have sworn by my great name, saith the LORD, that my name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, The Lord GOD liveth. 27Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them.

These were not offerings to God but to false gods. Notice the punishment!Hm, this was my mistake then. Thanks for point this out - looks like I misread it.

Even the angels (which are neither male or female) are seen as men. God is always refered to as He in the Bible. To be making Him into anything else is not scriptural. I agree that He posseses all attributes but we do not need to start thinking of the Almighty God as an it or he/she. HE is the great I AM.I never said God was an "it," and I never said He was a "he/she." I said that He transcends gender.

What is it that makes a male a male? A physical body with male reproductive organs. What is it that makes a female a female? A physical body with female reproductive organs. Jesus stated that He was not a spirit because He had "flesh and bones." He also referred to God as "spirit." If God is a spiritual being in His very nature, He doesn't have "flesh and bones." That would most certainly include the defining physical traits of what makes a persona a male and female.

If God has no male or female reproductive organs, it seems to me that He is neither male nor female, and that we refer to Him with terms such as "He" or "Him" out of ease of understanding that He is a living being and not an "it."

It's almost as if you ignored the final paragraph of my previous post.

RevLogos
May 1st 2008, 04:48 AM

He looked like a tree. Jesus was the "Tree of Life".

matthew94
May 1st 2008, 05:00 AM
There are rational reasons as to why incest wasn't forbidden in the book of Genesis. First, as time goes on, the genetic risk of marrying a close relative grows. Second, incest prohibits God's plan to unify mankind in love. Cross-family marriage is the best way to break down barriers between clans.

In Cain's day the genetic issue needn't have been present AND in-family-marriage was not detrimental to the love & unity of mankind.

Teke
May 1st 2008, 01:04 PM

If your deducing, isn't Genesis 1 part of the story?

walking4him
May 1st 2008, 02:25 PM
in the beginning up untill the laws of Moses it was ok to marry your sister. Sin had not manafested in man deeplly yet so there were not genitic defects. As we grew further from God, sickness (physical manisfatitions of what's happening in our souls) became more apparent and that's why we had to create laws to prevent it from speading.

Revinius
May 1st 2008, 02:28 PM
Incest only becomes and issue when corruption enters the genetic code. Because early humans were close to perfect there wasnt as much time for sin to creep into their genes.

9Marksfan
May 1st 2008, 03:14 PM
If your deducing, isn't Genesis 1 part of the story?

Of course, but it doesn't refer to any of Eve's children - but I guess since it states the creation account, OK! Gen 1 - 5! Any advances on that?!? :P

divaD
May 1st 2008, 03:39 PM
Something I always wonder: why do people always ask "Who was Cain's wife?" yet never seem to wonder about Seth's
wife?

Obviously you haven't been browsing around the internet that much. I know pretty much why they always ask this question. It's related to at least 2 reasons. Many don't see Gen 1 and Gen 2 being the same creation. Many believe that God created races of humans(male and female) on the 6th day, then God formed Adam and Eve after God rested on the 7th day, thus making the day Adam and Eve were made the 8th day.

The second reason, many refuse to believe that Cain was Adam's son. Then when Cain was put out of the presense of God, he finds a wife from the races of humans God created on the 6th day. Personally speaking, I totally reject any of this. None of it is Biblical.

God formed one man, then made He a woman from that man, and that's all it took to start the entire human race. Gen 1 and Gen 2 are talking about the very same man and woman, except Gen 1 looks at it from more of a perspective of an outline or something. Gen 2 looks at from a perspective of closer details, etc.

9Marksfan
May 1st 2008, 03:43 PM
Obviously you haven't been browsing around the internet that much. I know pretty much why they always ask this question. It's related to at least 2 reasons. Many don't see Gen 1 and Gen 2 being the same creation. Many believe that God created races of humans(male and female) on the 6th day, then God formed Adam and Eve after God rested on the 7th day, thus making the day Adam and Eve were made the 8th day.

The second reason, many refuse to believe that Cain was Adam's son. Then when Cain was put out of the presense of God, he finds a wife from the races of humans God created on the 6th day. Personally speaking, I totally reject any of this. None of it is Biblical.

God formed one man, then made He a woman from that man, and that's all it took to start the entire human race. Gen 1 and Gen 2 are talking about the very same man and woman, except Gen 1 looks at it from more of a perspective of an outline or something. Gen 2 looks at from a perspective of closer details, etc.

Well put! Many stumble thinking Gen 1 and 2 are contradictory - they're not.

Revinius
May 1st 2008, 03:51 PM
Gen 1 and 2 are like the same scene shot with the same camera using different lenses.

Teke
May 1st 2008, 07:28 PM
Gen 2 looks at from a perspective of closer details, etc.

Yes, specifically Jesus genealogy.

IamBill
May 3rd 2008, 05:14 AM
first, I got ahead of myself in the las reply-

QUOTE=markedward
When I read the "Let Us make man in Our image," I don't think it refers so much to a physical image, but rather to the spiritual image.
I agree with that. Though "Image" could be how God envisioned us to look like, "Likeness" could mean His attributes(Spirit/Soul/Not physical).
-----
others: we are only this far in the verse..
Ge 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: ...
and trying to keep tradition of ahh 'early church' out, the word speaks truth.

I never said God was an "it," and I never said He was a "he/she." I said that He transcends gender.

What is it that makes a male a male? A physical body with male reproductive organs. What is it that makes a female a female? A physical body with female reproductive organs. Jesus stated that He was not a spirit because He had "flesh and bones." He also referred to God as "spirit." If God is a spiritual being in His very nature, He doesn't have "flesh and bones." That would most certainly include the defining physical traits of what makes a persona a male and female.

If God has no male or female reproductive organs, it seems to me that He is neither male nor female, and that we refer to Him with terms such as "He" or "Him" out of ease of understanding that He is a living being and not an "it."

Exactly, so then, would you say it is safe to deduce that His(God) "Image/Likeness" could very well have been genderless ? not Physical in the least bit ?
I do, and do not think it is even logically debatable since "Man" (or Adam, the two words are interchangeable) does not even exist at this point.

Can you See the Paradox created there by humanizing God ? Many can not see that.

IamBill
May 4th 2008, 03:18 AM
sending this up

9Marksfan
May 4th 2008, 02:38 PM
sending this up

For general comment?

IamBill
May 4th 2008, 04:21 PM
In hopes of constructive participation 9Marks.

It is not just 'trouble makers' who ask the question in th OP, even little Kids ask it. It IS a good question, else, it would not still be asked.

I too could easily say, "well, God did it all and that is what is important"
(and is true, and Is "MY" bottom line)
But it is not a 'satisfactory' answer to many.

I, personally - am my brothers keeper - to the best of my ability.

Revinius
May 4th 2008, 04:36 PM
I, personally - am my brothers keeper - to the best of my ability.

Its good to know you didnt kill a guy name Abel. :rofl:

IamBill
May 4th 2008, 04:57 PM
:lol: No, I did not.

:eek: but Cain DID ! :hmm:

;) :lol:

9Marksfan
May 4th 2008, 05:00 PM
:lol: No, I did not.

:eek: but Cain DID ! :hmm:

;) :lol:

And then he married - hmm - wonder how he treated his wife........?!?!

IamBill
May 4th 2008, 06:41 PM
I would hope that he finally understood - and treated her better than he did his own brother.

My heart's Desire
May 5th 2008, 04:14 AM

Scripture says that God is Spirit. I don't know how to go beyond that myself. An image is not always an exact likeness or is it?

IamBill
May 5th 2008, 04:39 AM
You are right :)
Ge 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The "Image" can very well be how God 'envisioned' the human form.
The "likeness" can very well be 'the Spirit form'. (which would also be genderless)

And either way one reads it, God "the Father" does not look like us, right !
And! the "man" (the words adam and man are interchangeable) Is ultimately created Body AND SOUL/Spirit.
Gen 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

'adam (aw-dawm')
ruddy i.e. a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.) -- another, + hypocrite, + common sort, low, man (mean, of low degree), person.

:) help any ?

My heart's Desire
May 5th 2008, 04:46 AM
Since Adam and Eve had so more kids then Cain almost had to have married his sister. Since Adam lived 900+years and they had plenty of time for other children to be born and raised to age after Cain was born and we really don't know how much time elapsed between the time Cain settled in the land of Nod and when he actually had a wife. I think 900 yrs were plenty of time for all that to happen.

IamBill
May 5th 2008, 04:56 AM
:) Yup, could have, but you may want to read the last couple pages in the ""Genesis the first four chapters"" thread, this was discussed further there between Naphal and I.

Me really has to get some sleep. But would love to talk more tomorrow.

My heart's Desire
May 5th 2008, 05:00 AM
I know one thing and it is that I find discussing if God is genderless or not makes me uncomfortable, the reason being that many use similiar discussions to back up arguments as regarding everything including marriage, Bible translations regarding gender etc. if you get my drift. Not saying it is YOUR argument, just saying it makes me uncomfortable. Jesus is called the Son of Man and calls God "Father" and that is good enough for me. :)

IamBill
May 5th 2008, 09:37 PM
:) Yup ! and the "Son of God" ...And God !

I am speaking of Before a 'Man' existed though.
We do know that (theoretically) from the moment 'a Man' was created, Even before Jesus was made flesh, Jesus(the Word) can be call Male, and is why I was careful to repeatedly express the point- "Before".

But before the human form existed, (( GOD the Almighty )), Our Heavenly Father, I personally find it absurd to reduce Him to human form ...or anything our mind could grasp for that matter. and Gender is a Physical trait ;)
I'm sure you are familiar with John 1:1-5 and John 1:14.

It's just something to come to terms with before discussing what "In God's Image" really implies in Gen 1: 26-27
;)