PDA

View Full Version : Non-Christians wearing the cross; For, Against?

JaybeeinBibleForum
Apr 30th 2008, 09:33 PM
Just saw a lad who is a loose (I mean that in every sense!) moslem wearing a cross. Initially, I felt a tinge of resentment that he didn't believe in what he knowingly put around his neck.

However, then I felt that, for a non-Christian, that's a step forward; this is not a topic I've given much thought to, and I'd like to collate some opinions on both sides before reaching one.

What is your opinion, and your underlying thinking?

Athanasius
Apr 30th 2008, 09:53 PM
'You think God is dead, you've lost your head, you got him swingin' from a Chain'
--I don't think it means much to them, it's just a piece of jewelry.

walking4him
May 1st 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm completely against it.

DAS
May 2nd 2008, 09:34 PM
I think they should wear it unless it's for some evil motive.
Think about this:You have a co-worker who you don't talk to much, A young lady (Since they usually are the one's wearing it) and you would like to witness to her, The problem is that you need an ice breaker, You see her wearing a Cross necklace, Bingo, You say "I noticed your necklace, I like it. But do you mind if I ask what exactly the Cross means to you?" And you've started a wonderful conversation to share The Gospel.
:)

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 07:22 AM
I think you should have to be a Christian to wear the Cross. Other's really have no need for it if they don't believe in the Cross of Christ.

Frances
May 6th 2008, 06:24 PM
Those who don't know Christ and wear a cross, usually a crucifix, are using it as a 'good luck' symbol - completely missing the significance of it. . . and would probably be as offended and angry, if it was used as a conversation starter, as a busker was who had just sung 'The Old Rugged Cross' was when I asked if she knew Jesus

Tanya~
May 6th 2008, 06:33 PM
I LOVE the response DAS gave!

I didn't vote in the poll because none of these options are what I would choose. People can wear whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned. That's what I would vote. The cross is a symbol that is used by religions other than Christianity, was in use before Christ as a religious symbol, and it has meanings to people other than the death of Christ for our sins. That is what it means to a Christian, but to a Pagan it means something completely different, something having to do with the worship of the sun, of nature and the seasons and what not.

JordanW
May 9th 2008, 05:31 PM
'You think God is dead, you've lost your head, you got him swingin' from a Chain'
--I don't think it means much to them, it's just a piece of jewelry.What song lyrics are those?

HisLeast
May 9th 2008, 05:40 PM
I find it kind of morbid. If Jesus had been born, ministered, and put to death in our era, would people 2000 years from now be wearing a mini electric chair?

diffangle
May 14th 2008, 03:38 AM

I didn't vote in the poll because none of these options are what I would choose. People can wear whatever they like, as far as I'm concerned. That's what I would vote. The cross is a symbol that is used by religions other than Christianity, was in use before Christ as a religious symbol, and it has meanings to people other than the death of Christ for our sins. That is what it means to a Christian, but to a Pagan it means something completely different, something having to do with the worship of the sun, of nature and the seasons and what not.
I agree with Tanya... it predates Yahushua as a pagan sun symbol so it makes sense to me that unbelievers would wear them.

diffangle
May 14th 2008, 03:39 AM
I find it kind of morbid. If Jesus had been born, ministered, and put to death in our era, would people 2000 years from now be wearing a mini electric chair?
Good point and question.

olivereazy
May 14th 2008, 04:43 AM
Wearing the Cross has no spiritual significance, neither for Christians or non-Christians. It is a symbol for us that reminds us that Christ died for our sins on the cross.I think that wearing that symbol around your neck without understanding it's significance is not good and should not be practiced. On the other hand if a Christian is wearing it and a non-Christian inquires about it, then he/she gets an opportunity to talk about Christ, BUT our deeds should be such that they reflect the nature of Christ.

immortality
Jul 26th 2008, 11:50 PM
there are a lot of people who aren't even spiritual or religious in the practice of christianity, but view the cross as a delightful form of art (celtic crosses are quite popular).

but usually the people who wear crosses and believe themselves to be christians are only doing so to ease their religious conscience. so there is undoubtedly much hypocrisy involved the majority of the time.

Christ-4-D
Aug 31st 2008, 01:12 PM
I am against it! I often see people wearing it as a fashion item - often at parties.

Several times I have asked the person and they do not have a clue the meaning of it!!!

twotickets59
Sep 1st 2008, 03:17 AM
doesn't matter. although i consider the cross a reminder of my Savior's sacrifice, i also realize that it can represent a soldiers heroism, a great charity, or an insurance company. if we get too tied up in its importance, we may be dwelling on the precipice of idoltry. Our eyes need to remain on the One who sacrificed for us and not on a piece of bling.;)

Steps
Sep 9th 2008, 11:09 AM

Word!!! I love you Tanya...in a christian kindda way.

For me, while the death on the cross is the predicator of my redemption for which I am forever thankful, it is the resurrection that makes me a christian; it is the resurrection that affirms the new covenant. If He remained dead, the price may have been paid, but we would not have an eternal high priest forever making intercession for us before Jehovah; there would be no newness of life.

The cross as worn is an ornament. period. It wasn't Jesus alone that was hung on a [the] cross that day. remember? and he wasn't the first to be hung on a cross. It was the commonness of the event that blinded the eyes of them (lucifer, demons, the romans), for if they had known they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Rom 14:
Neither wearing it nor not wearing it makes you (more or less) a christian or non-christian. Nevertheless, let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind (V.5) cos none of us lives or dies to himself. Whether we live or die, it is to the lord. I judge no one.

God Bless

orange
Sep 10th 2008, 09:52 PM
"If we don't praise Him, rock will"
God will speak even to those who do not hear.
Wear the cross, even if you wear it as accessories. Maybe one day it will be only thing that you have to hold on to, and be a wake up call for what it represents.

BadDog
Sep 14th 2008, 08:20 PM
Who cares? It might open up an opportunity to witness