PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Recover From Being a Smoker

JordanW
May 3rd 2008, 08:47 PM
Please help me, it's been 3.5 days since I quit.:D

MrAnteater
May 5th 2008, 06:48 PM
Hello JordanW,

I'll pray that you find freedom from smoking. I'd like to recommend the Setting Captives Free 60 day course for smokers. It's an interactive bible based program that's free to use. You will have a mentor that will give you accountability and help encourage you along the way.

http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/breath_life/

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure that would help that much. I was reading about it, and it says it's for people planning on quitting, but I've already quit.

turtledove
May 6th 2008, 11:58 PM
I smoked for several years when I was young. It takes a while for the nicotine to leave your system. Chewing gum and peppermint life savers helped me for a while. And I tried to skip doing the some of the things where I had usually lit up. And I got outside and walked a lot. I only slipped once some months later; but it tasted so awful that I didn't go back to it. At first I found that I was taking a lot of naps but that wears off after a while and comes back when you are my age..but not because of smoking just because older people need shorter and more frequent times to sleep.

It is a lot to go through but rest assured I am praying for you to be free from smoking. I quit 38 years ago and life took on much greater meaning ever since..besides I took up things like skiing, mountain biking, and hiking and road race running..which would have been impossible as a smoker.

My prayers for you today.

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 12:08 AM
I smoked for several years when I was young. It takes a while for the nicotine to leave your system. Chewing gum and peppermint life savers helped me for a while. And I tried to skip doing the some of the things where I had usually lit up. And I got outside and walked a lot. I only slipped once some months later; but it tasted so awful that I didn't go back to it. At first I found that I was taking a lot of naps but that wears off after a while and comes back when you are my age..but not because of smoking just because older people need shorter and more frequent times to sleep.

It is a lot to go through but rest assured I am praying for you to be free from smoking. I quit 38 years ago and life took on much greater meaning ever since..besides I took up things like skiing, mountain biking, and hiking and road race running..which would have been impossible as a smoker.

My prayers for you today.God bless you, and thank you so much! Tonight at 12 A.M. it's my 7 day anniversary. It's been tough but because of prayer's and support I've been able to pull through. :)

moonglow
May 7th 2008, 02:52 AM
Hang in there! :pray:

God Bless

MrAnteater
May 7th 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure that would help that much. I was reading about it, and it says it's for people planning on quitting, but I've already quit.

I hope you have continued success. If you start struggling and fall back into smoking, give it a try. They do a great job of using scripture and focusing on Jesus in helping with addictions.

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 06:10 AM
I hope you have continued success. If you start struggling and fall back into smoking, give it a try. They do a great job of using scripture and focusing on Jesus in helping with addictions.
In 50 minutes it's my 1 week anniversary of being quit. I will never give in.:D

turtledove
May 7th 2008, 03:12 PM
In 50 minutes it's my 1 week anniversary of being quit. I will never give in.:D

:thumbsup: ..........

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 03:32 PM
Well now it's past that obviously, but 1 week is a big achievement. :)

cheech
May 14th 2008, 01:37 AM
For many, every hour is an achievement...every minute and you've gone 1 week (now more!)! Keep it up...remember who to turn to in your time of need and He will see you through it:

Phil 4:13:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

JordanW
May 14th 2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks a lot cheech! At midnight it will be 2 weeks. :)

karenoka27
May 14th 2008, 03:55 AM
Praying for you Jordan...keep it up! I hope you are praying to our Lord for freedom in any desire you have had in the past to smoke and also asking Him for strength to get through each day!:hug:

turtledove
May 14th 2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks a lot cheech! At midnight it will be 2 weeks. :)

:thumbsup::cool:

owl

JordanW
May 14th 2008, 07:06 PM
Stats for May 14:

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 12 hours, 6 minutes and 48 seconds or 14 days. I have not smoked 145 cigarettes. I have saved $30.52. I have saved 1 Day and 10 minutes of my life. I quit smoking on 4/30/2008 12:00 AM.

quiet dove
May 14th 2008, 07:15 PM
Jordan, hang in there friend. You are doing so good!!! Congrads on this as it is one of the most difficult things to quit there is.

JordanW
May 14th 2008, 07:21 PM
Amen quiet...it's hard to do...

JordanW
May 14th 2008, 09:34 PM
As a statement of faith, I threw out my ashtray today, and cleaned old cigarette packs/lighters out of my car. :D

Lefty
May 15th 2008, 01:26 PM
Good work Jordan! From here on, anything that feels like a 'craving' is'nt physiological but merely psychological, and can be handled by staying alert to whatever thoughts or feelings might be triggering an urge and feeding yourself the truth of the matter instead. This is my favorite source of truth about smoking here (http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf), and reading one of the many short articles whenever you start to feel weak will turn you around. God bless.

karenoka27
May 15th 2008, 02:12 PM
Praying for you Jordan!:hug:

JordanW
May 15th 2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the much needed support!

Stats for May 15: I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds or 15 days. I have not smoked 154 cigarettes. I have saved $32.58. I have saved 1 Day, 1 hour and 40 minutes of my life. I quit smoking on 4/30/2008 12:00 AM.

JordanW
May 22nd 2008, 06:21 AM
I caved in on the 18th, but have been quit since, (almost 3 days).:D

Ashley274
May 22nd 2008, 07:04 AM
Good for you Jordan 3 days is GOOD :hug: and you were smart not to be defeated by a slip up....WTG :pp

karenoka27
May 23rd 2008, 03:17 AM
I caved in on the 18th, but have been quit since, (almost 3 days).:D
Lamentations 3:22-23-"It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."

Keep it up Jordan..praying for you! The Lord loves you...ask Him every day for strength to get through each one!

JordanW
May 25th 2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys, it's been like 6.5 days now.

Jesusinmyheart
May 27th 2008, 04:17 AM
I've been quit now for over 11 years, and i'm still healing from what i put my lungs through.
Once in a blue moon i catch myself thinking. Well now i could start again.....I get cravings still after 11 years!!! It stinks :lol: and i just turn my mind around to thinking, "naaah, it's not worth it for me to convert money into something harmfull for my and other's health"

So i go on and deny my flesh... time after time. Weidest thing is, i dream about smoking from time to time.... Oh well I know i'm not going to ever cave in ever again... i resent that i had ever started.

Shalom,
Tanja

JordanW
May 30th 2008, 03:19 AM
Praise God that you quit! It's a very hard thing to do, indeed, but with God, all things are possible!

Jesusinmyheart
May 30th 2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, indeed, and i have seen the power of God, and human will to obey. My husband overcame several addictions:
P@rn, cr@ck, w==d, copenhagen dip.......Now if that's not a miracle, then what is?

Shalom,
Tanja

JordanW
May 30th 2008, 07:46 PM
Those are some tough things to overcome! That's totally awesome!

danield
May 31st 2008, 02:18 AM
You keep up the great work Jordan! In a few weeks you will be able to start smelling things you had forgotten existed, and watch out for those taste buds that come back into proper working order. It is going to make food such a wonderful thing to enjoy. I would try and start exercising some because it will help on the added calories you will take in from the excitement of the new taste of food. Also that exercise will help your body forget the desire for smoking. Again, you just have no idea how this decision will improve your life. I pray that your victory over that habit helps inspire someone else to do the same. I hope you have a fruitful week!
God Bless.

JordanW
May 31st 2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks danield! That means a lot to me! I have already noticed a lot of things. :)

JordanW
Jun 6th 2008, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, it's been a few extra days now, today, I am tied for the longest I've been free from smoking, which is about 18.5 days. Wish me luck!

Stats: I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 13 hours, 35 minutes and 35 seconds (18 days). I have saved $39.08 by not smoking 185 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day and 13 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 5/18/2008 11:39 PM

CoffeeCat
Jun 8th 2008, 01:26 PM
Jordan, hang in there, buddy. I am proud of you for trying so hard. It's something hard to beat, but you'll thank yourself for it, later. Your body will, too. And any future family you might have. Just do your best. As a friend of mine told me once, athletes who jump hurdles as they run have a trick: they look continually ahead, for the finish line, keeping the hurdles JUST enough in mind so that they know where they are, without actually focusing on them. Athletes who focus on each hurdle individually find them harder to jump. But setting yourself on the finish line, on the prize at the end -- that'll help. :hug:

JordanW
Jun 8th 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words! :D

Stats:

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 9 seconds (20 days). I have saved $42.97 by not smoking 204 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 16 hours and 48 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/18/2008 11:39 PM

JordanW
Jan 17th 2009, 11:09 PM
Well I ended up relapsing, but I quit again.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 19 hours, 51 minutes and 42 seconds (11 days). I have saved $30.15 by not smoking 141 cigarettes. I have saved 11 hours and 45 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/5/2009 7:18 PM

CoffeeCat
Jan 17th 2009, 11:34 PM
Jordan, I'm glad you went for quitting again. I know how hard it is to quit -- been there, done that! Keep on praying and holding on, and I'll be praying with you!

JordanW
Jan 18th 2009, 08:59 AM
Hey thanks! I'll be keeping you guys up to date! I'm doing well so far, tomorrow it will be 2 weeks, so for being so far along I'm doing quite well. I'm surprised since there have been so many problems I've been having lately and I've been temped to smoke and I have cigarettes but I haven't done it.

Gregg
Jan 18th 2009, 02:22 PM
Hey thanks! I'll be keeping you guys up to date! I'm doing well so far, tomorrow it will be 2 weeks, so for being so far along I'm doing quite well. I'm surprised since there have been so many problems I've been having lately and I've been temped to smoke and I have cigarettes but I haven't done it.

I have found when I have been tempted to smoke, there is usually a stressor that subconsiously triggers a desire, then I think satan jumps on that bandwagon to further tempt me. Get thee behind me satan!! Followed up by a prayer to help calm down and look at the stressor in order to heal or grow. A phone call to a Christian brother if possible is talking about wanting to smoke is really really good if time and place allows.

CoffeeCat
Jan 18th 2009, 06:48 PM
Here's what helped me, some of which might help you:

- praying.
- telling the cigarettes off. :lol: it sounds funny, I know, but it helped... I'd say things like "you're evil, disgusting, chemical-filled sticks of junk and I am NOT touching you."..... and then I'd toss them. Outside. So I wouldn't be tempted to grab them again.
- going for a LONG walk outside. Clear air.... and reminding myself that if I smoked, that fresh air would NOT be fresh anymore!
- holding myself responsible. This was probably most effective for me: at the time, all 3 of my cousins were VERY young, so I kept reminding myself of the example I wanted to set for them.
- bubblegum! I always bought a pack of bubblegum when I WANTED to buy cigarettes. I chewed gum CONSTANTLY and blew bubbles constantly. It's something you can do with your mouth, a substitution almost.
- I ran and biked, and thanked God for every hill I could run up or bike up without getting short of breath.... and when I'd went 2 weeks without a smoke, I was AMAZED at how much better I could breathe!
- If I was going to a store and I was REALLY tempted.... I'd leave my wallet at home. It's impossible to get them if you don't have money.
- I asked family members and friends to hold me accountable. I set a date for a "smoke free party" 2 months from the date I quit, and invited EVERYONE the day I quit.... that way, I KNEW I could not touch cigarettes because everyone was counting on me to stay smoke free.
- I dove more and more into my Bible, and it was THEN that my bible study really kicked in.... Whenever I was tempted or moody or both, I'd dive into God's word and STAY there until the worst of the temptation passed.
- I started drinking coffee a lot more.....

.... well, the coffee habit stayed. :D

Those are some tricks that helped me, and what helped MOST of all was the prayer and Bible study. I know how hard it is, and I KNOW you can get through it, and you're already 2 weeks in.... just keep going, my friend! :)

paidforinfull
Jan 21st 2009, 05:07 AM
Well done, Jordan :).
God is good.

Drums4Him
Jan 25th 2009, 01:01 AM
I quit cold turkey probably about 30 years ago and I am with you brother, it is difficult but not impossible...keep going!

JordanW
Jan 26th 2009, 09:54 AM
God bless you all! Thanks for all the nice things you've said!

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 46 seconds (20 days). I have saved $51.69 by not smoking 243 cigarettes. I have saved 20 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/5/2009 7:18 PM

CoffeeCat
Jan 27th 2009, 01:25 AM
Way to go, Jordan! Keep going, buddy. Proud of you and praying for you!

Gregg
Jan 27th 2009, 01:42 PM
God bless you all! Thanks for all the nice things you've said!

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 6 Days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 46 seconds (20 days). I have saved $51.69 by not smoking 243 cigarettes. I have saved 20 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 1/5/2009 7:18 PM

Jordan, whatever tools you can use to get through. Good job. That said, I hope you are not so in bondage that you are really counting minutes and seconds through out the day. I hope this is only cropping up when you are posting. If not, might I suggest letting it go...praying, telephoning, only when the desire crops up. I have some long term freedom from different addictions (praise Jesus) that means that I do not think much about them. I do however, have action plans in place, for when they sneak up on me.

baxpack7
Jan 28th 2009, 03:02 AM
Hey Jordan
It's good to see your posts again. I'd been praying for you since you first came around. All I can tell you is that I'll continue to pray for you. Keep up your strength and your spirit, pray continuously and God will help you through this.

God bless!

CoffeeCat
Feb 3rd 2009, 11:06 PM
Jordan, can you give us an update? :)

Fresco
Feb 5th 2009, 05:13 AM
I quit the cigs 10 years ago (smoked a pack a day), and it took me about a dozen tries before I got it right.
Just cause you fail a few times dont let that stop you from trying again.

Also quitting was the best thing I ever did for my body, I can breathe better, smell better, food tastes better...etc.
There's nothing more disgusting then having that dirty ashtray in the room, and your clothes stink to high heaven

Thanks, but no thanks

Dravenhawk
Feb 15th 2009, 01:14 AM
I used to be a pack / pack and a half a day smoker for well over 15 years complete with a hardened smokers attitude to go with it. When I met Penny she was a non-smoker but through my influence she started "experimenting" with cigarettes until she was hooked. Later I met a woman named Laverne she too was a non-smoker and just like Penny she too became a smoker through my influence. Later I met a young teen named Tony and he too picked up the addictive behavior I condoned and enabled. Later I met Linda. Linda had an 11 year old son who emulated everything I did, the way I said things and how I moved etc... When I met Linda she had not smoked for well over 10 years. She started smoking because my behavior condoned her choice to smoke. as I continued to date Linda her son also picked up my addictive habbit. I could not find it in me to quit for health, quality, cancer risk etc... Seriously anything that will shorten my lifespan the better because frankly I don't want to be on this earth any longer than what is absolutly necessary.

One day while confronting Linda's son about his smoking he told me where it is at. "You smoke why don't you quit?" came the defiant challenge from the now 13 year old boy. It was in that moment that the Holy Spirit opened my eyes and showed me the carnage of my influencial behavior told in the above paragraph. I was weak and couldn't quit on my own Lord only knows how many times I tried to quit and failed. I focused upon the revelation the Holy Spirit revealed to me and asked God to strengthen my resolve to quit. I understand the size and scope of my influence I have upon others and it is for that reason I will not smoke another cigarette. Humbled ex smoker for 15 years and counting

Hope this helps :pray:

Dravenhawk

turtledove
Feb 15th 2009, 02:14 PM
Yes, the influence we give or are given does play an important part in this. Almost everyone in my family smoked at one time especially those in the generation before me. I grew up around a family of smokers,either cigarettes or cigars. (A house filled with cigar smoke is no fun for a kid growing up)..

So I started smoking in my early twenties because I worked in the college book store where I was given free packs when I wished them and because some of my friends smoked. Within a couple of months I developed a mouth ulcer which needed to be lanced which should have told me something right then. I quit for a few years but later went back to it especially when I was around my family.

In time I met a great guy who did not smoke and I quit for a while when we were first married and I had two babies. But then I had to go back to work and everyone there also smoked so I started in again. Again this was easy to do in a smoke filled atmosphere. And keep in mind this was before smoking was known to be the grave health hazard it is now. (Actually it was a grave health hazard but wasn't connected to all the things it is now as far as the public knew then).

During this period and probably due to the increase in my smoking habit, I began to get headaches daily which I medicated with tylenol or aspirin.

After a few years my husband started his own business so I was able to quit that job, stay home with the small children, and work for him part time. A friend of mine was an ardent skiier and she never smoked. I tried to learn how to x-country ski but got winded so easily. Then I began to pray and ask for God's help in this. I quit and had one relapse a few months later but one cigarette tasted so bad I didn't smoke another one. The headaches diminished greatly. I became a skier, runner, hiker, and mountain biker. I never smoked again. Thanks be to God who sets us free!! It's been 39 years this month. Oh, I also was blessed to have another baby after I quit. One of my children smoked for a while but also quit and all three don't smoke. I think my husband and I not smoking helped; and also because they saw that smoking very well led or even caused the early deaths and illnesses of relatives who smoked, and because they have been so well informed of the dangers involved. Two are in their forties and the youngest is in her late 30's. :)

God is so good and I still thank Him for freeing me from the smoking addiction! :spin:

JordanW
Mar 10th 2009, 03:55 AM
I relapsed on the 16th of February I believe, but I've been quit for almost 6 days again now.

I have been quit for 5 Days, 20 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds (5 days). I have saved $15.06 by not smoking 70 cigarettes. I have saved 14 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 3/4/2009 12:00 AM

turtledove
Mar 10th 2009, 04:36 PM
I relapsed on the 16th of February I believe, but I've been quit for almost 6 days again now.

I have been quit for 5 Days, 20 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds (5 days). I have saved $15.06 by not smoking 70 cigarettes. I have saved 14 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 3/4/2009 12:00 AM

continuing to pray for you, Jordan. Thanks for updating us! :pray:

JordanW
Mar 11th 2009, 01:35 AM
I have been quit for 6 Days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 48 seconds (6 days). I have saved $17.38 by not smoking 81 cigarettes. I have saved 16 hours and 12 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/4/2009 12:00 AM

Midnight tonight makes a full week!:pp

amazzin
Mar 11th 2009, 01:39 AM
I have been quit for 6 Days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 48 seconds (6 days). I have saved $17.38 by not smoking 81 cigarettes. I have saved 16 hours and 12 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/4/2009 12:00 AM

Midnight tonight makes a full week!:pp

Good to see you again
Great news Jordon

Dani H
Mar 11th 2009, 03:05 AM
I'm never one to take progress for granted, and so good for you! Your lungs must be lots happier! :hug:

JordanW
Mar 11th 2009, 03:11 AM
I'm never one to take progress for granted, and so good for you! Your lungs must be lots happier! :hug:
It's definitely awesome to be able to breathe easier.

Friend of Jesus
Mar 11th 2009, 08:56 AM
A friend of mine found he was able to stay off cigarettes by sucking and chewing on lollipop sticks- I don't know if you want to try it.

Awesome that you're free

JordanW
Mar 13th 2009, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Update:
I have been quit for 1 Week, 1 Day, 18 hours, 10 minutes and 17 seconds (8 days). I have saved $22.47 by not smoking 105 cigarettes. I have saved 21 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 3/4/2009 12:00 AM

turtledove
Mar 15th 2009, 03:16 PM
OP is to focus on Chat2Min..at this time..so closing this for now.