PDA

View Full Version : New Spirit Filled Life NKJV

JordanW
May 4th 2008, 07:30 AM
What are your opinions on Jack Hayford's New Spirit Filled Life Bible? This was one of the first Bible's that I actually used, but the Pastor at my old church preached out of the KJV so it was kind of hard to follow along so I bought a KJV. My parents bought me a brand new genuine leather NKJV Spirit Filled Life Bible but I haven't used it much but am looking into using it more. What are your opinions and thoughts on this Bible?

9Marksfan
May 4th 2008, 03:04 PM
What are your opinions on Jack Hayford's New Spirit Filled Life Bible? This was one of the first Bible's that I actually used, but the Pastor at my old church preached out of the KJV so it was kind of hard to follow along so I bought a KJV. My parents bought me a brand new genuine leather NKJV Spirit Filled Life Bible but I haven't used it much but am looking into using it more. What are your opinions and thoughts on this Bible?

As I said in the other NKJV forum, I think it's a great translation, but I have major issues with Jack Hayford's doctrinal stance on lots of issues - I think there are far better NKJV study bibles eg MacArthur's or RC Sproul's. Eveb a Life Application one would be better (not sure if that's done in NKJV).

Brother Mark
May 4th 2008, 05:33 PM
Since my brother posted above, I thought I would chime in too. Stay away from MacAthor's stuff. I know nothing of Sproul or Hayford. But I do like the wording of being "Spirit filled".

JordanW
May 4th 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't know if this is possible, but it seems like the NKJV confuses me more than the KJV.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 01:52 AM
I think someone else here also has this Bible but I'm not sure.:hmm:

TrustGzus
May 6th 2008, 04:22 AM
I have Hayford's Spirit Filled Life Study Bible. I also have MacArthur's Study Bible and the New Geneva Study Bible by Sproul - the two Bibles mentioned by 9marksfan.

I use MacArthur's the most of those three. I've never used the Hayford Bible. So I cannot comment on it.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 06:18 AM
Hayford has pretty standard views doesn't he?:hmm:

Reynolds357
May 6th 2008, 05:29 PM

I will start by saying that I like the NKJV bible. It is accurate. It is debatable, but in my opinion it is slightly more true to orig. manuscript than the KJV. I also like MOST of what Jack Hayford says in the bible and has printed that others say. I do not agree with all of what is said, but I honestly can not think of one person I agree 100% with from cover to cover of the Scriptures. All in all, it is a great study Bible. It is not detailed enough to stand alone as a study Bible, but it is a valuable tool among many to the library of the Christian.

Reynolds357
May 6th 2008, 05:32 PM
Since my brother posted above, I thought I would chime in too. Stay away from MacAthor's stuff. I know nothing of Sproul or Hayford. But I do like the wording of being "Spirit filled".

Macarthur says a lot that I do not agree with. However, he presents very useful commentary on a vast number of subjects and verses. Studying Macarthur's works is like eating grapes; you keep the good parts and spit out the seeds. He is a strong Baptist. In all truthfulness, he is very anti-pentecostal, but he is an excellent scholar. His anti-pentacostalism, are the "seeds" I spit out.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 05:49 PM
I will start by saying that I like the NKJV bible. It is accurate. It is debatable, but in my opinion it is slightly more true to orig. manuscript than the KJV. I also like MOST of what Jack Hayford says in the bible and has printed that others say. I do not agree with all of what is said, but I honestly can not think of one person I agree 100% with from cover to cover of the Scriptures. All in all, it is a great study Bible. It is not detailed enough to stand alone as a study Bible, but it is a valuable tool among many to the library of the Christian.Definitely a great insight you have there! :) My parents first got me this Bible sometime back in 2003 when I was younger and I really appreciated it then as it helped me quite a bit. I recently got a genuine leather one which is a lot nicer and am looking to start reading this Bible more.:D

Reynolds357
May 6th 2008, 05:58 PM
Definitely a great insight you have there! :) My parents first got me this Bible sometime back in 2003 when I was younger and I really appreciated it then as it helped me quite a bit. I recently got a genuine leather one which is a lot nicer and am looking to start reading this Bible more.:D

You will enjoy it. I think it is the best pentecostal study Bible currently produced. Dake would be my second choice, but his notation is extremely hard to follow.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 06:18 PM
Why do you consider it to be Pentecostal?

Reynolds357
May 6th 2008, 07:08 PM
Why do you consider it to be Pentecostal?
For several reasons. The first is the title. The second is the fact that Hayford is, and has been for many years a leader in the pentecostal move. The third reason is the commentary and the articles. They are all written in harmony with pentecostal doctrine. It is most definitely a pentecostal study bible. For me, that is a good thing. I am pentecostal.