PDA

View Full Version : Biblical viewpoint

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 03:26 PM
I recently took a well thought out test that placed me in the 100% fundamentalist bracket and to be quiet honest, I'm far from being a fundamentalist in practice. For instance, I am not a pre tribulational, pre millenial rapturist. Don't even use the term rapture. I don't believe the pastor is the ultimate authority in the church nor should he lord over God's people. Yet in belief, I seemed to be catagorized in this area. It was an eye opener.

The URL is http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 and I invite you to take the test yourself and lets discuss the results.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 03:30 PM
One other thing. Make sure you answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you don't know the answer, research it before you continue.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 03:42 PM
this is what i am according to the test...

You scored as a Reformed EvangelicalYou are a Reformed Evangelical. You take the Bible very seriously because it is God's Word. You most likely hold to TULIP and are sceptical about the possibilities of universal atonement or resistible grace. The most important thing the Church can do is make sure people hear how they can go to heaven when they die.

I dont agree with the above description, first i'm not a calvanist but do agree with certain aspects of it, and the most important thing the Church can do in my opinion is to preach the Gospel and give people advice on how to live for Jesus with biblical doctrine.

So i don't really agree or i'm i in denial......? :lol:

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 03:55 PM
this is what i am according to the test...

You scored as a Reformed EvangelicalYou are a Reformed Evangelical. You take the Bible very seriously because it is God's Word. You most likely hold to TULIP and are sceptical about the possibilities of universal atonement or resistible grace. The most important thing the Church can do is make sure people hear how they can go to heaven when they die.

I dont agree with the above description, first i'm not a calvanist but do agree with certain aspects of it, and the most important thing the Church can do in my opinion is to preach the Gospel and give people advice on how to live for Jesus with biblical doctrine.

So i don't really agree or i'm i in denial......? :lol: De Nile, isn't that a river in Egypt? There are some that take one or two points of Calvanism and disreguard the rest by the way.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with total depravity, i agree that once your saved you will endevour in the faith if you have indeed been saved in the first place.

so i do take on board a few points but i believe you can seek the Lord and be saved also.

karenoka27
May 6th 2008, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure how I did...I did try to research the things I didn't understand, but even then I didn't know how to answer..mine came out to this:

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists. Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
86% Fundamentalist
82% Reformed Evangelical
64% Neo orthodox
61% Emergent/Postmodern
36% Classical Liberal
29% Charismatic/Pentecostal
7% Modern Liberal
4% Catholic

(I don't want to be 4% Catholic:cry:) I don't know what this makes me..
I'm so confused..it's so much easier to know that I am saved through the blood of Christ who died for me, was buried and rose again having victory over death, and that through Him and Him alone I have eternal life.. so what does that make me?

Is it bad to be what I came out to be?:confused

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure how I did...I did try to research the things I didn't understand, but even then I didn't know how to answer..mine came out to this:

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists. Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
86% Fundamentalist
82% Reformed Evangelical
64% Neo orthodox
61% Emergent/Postmodern
36% Classical Liberal
7% Modern Liberal
4% Catholic

I'm so confused..it's so much easier to know that I am saved through the blood of Christ who died for me, was buried and rose again having victory over death, and that through Him and Him alone I have eternal life.. so what does that make me?

Is it bad to be what I came out to be?:confusedThere was a trick question or two there sis. One was about Mary, the mother of Jesus. The catholics believe there is diety in her and therefore effects biblical teaching. Can't remember the others but if you said she did, that put you in the area of RCC beliefs. I scored zero on the last five catagories.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:29 PM
I agree with total depravity, i agree that once your saved you will endevour in the faith if you have indeed been saved in the first place.

so i do take on board a few points but i believe you can seek the Lord and be saved also.The total depravity thingey is probably what threw you into the Calvanist bracket.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 04:29 PM
Well speaking as a reformed evangelical :P i can say that i was 100% catholic this time last year so theres hope for you yet.lol

Seriously though, I'm a Christian period.

I believe Jesus is who he said he is and i'm saved through faith in him and he is the only way. He died for my sins and i dont put myself in a box, we are all brothers and sisters in him if we believe. There a million questions the test never asked so dont be too hard on yourself. IMO no test will ever be able to describe your faith in God your saved by the blood of Jesus Christ not a test.:) Bit of fun though and makes you think.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 04:32 PM
The total depravity thingey is probably what threw you into the Calvanist bracket.

yeah plus the Irresistible grace thing, as you say some people take a few points and leave the rest. I may be one of those people :)

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 04:40 PM
You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Kind of confused.:confused

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:42 PM
You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Kind of confused.:confusedWhy kinda confused Jordan?

moonglow
May 6th 2008, 04:45 PM
There was a trick question or two there sis. One was about Mary, the mother of Jesus. The catholics believe there is diety in her and therefore effects biblical teaching. Can't remember the others but if you said she did, that put you in the area of RCC beliefs. I scored zero on the last five catagories.

I don't know...I scored even higher on the Catholic faith then she did and I put Mary at totally disagree (regarding the question which I now forget exactly how it went...:rolleyes:)

What's your theological worldview?
You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.
Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
96%
Neo orthodox
75%
Emergent/Postmodern
57%
Fundamentalist
50%
Reformed Evangelical
50%
Classical Liberal
43%
Modern Liberal
32%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
29%
Roman Catholic
21%

I don't think I have ever read any of John Wesley writings...by the way who is John Shelby Spong they asked about...and some other lady that I never heard of? I did try to look him up to see what his beliefs were but then realized it would be very time consuming and I didn't want to do that much work...lol. I clicked on the very middle dot for him at that lady...cause I didn't know how to vote! I also don't believe in total totally depravation or irresistible grace...since neither are in the bible. People DO, sadly resist the grace of God and there are people that do 'good works' without believing in God (not saying they are 'good' by bibical standards..none of us are by bibical standards). Anyway I would say this test is totally unreliable! As a teenager my step dad was a pastor of a Methodist church but I haven't attended one since then for varies reasons.

Oh and I have no idea what Neo orthodox is...or what they stand for ...never heard of them at all actually...:hmm:

God bless

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 04:47 PM
I took it again and gave the same answers but not didn't agree or disagree as strongly, and i came out a fundamentalist, wich makes more sense to me. :) think i rushed the first one,

i thought more on this one and i'm now fundametalist and think those liberals have watered down the Gospel ( wich is true) :lol:

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 04:47 PM
Because I don't even know who John Wesley is.:lol:

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know...I scored even higher on the Catholic faith then she did and I put Mary at totally disagree (regarding the question which I now forget exactly how it went...:rolleyes:)

You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.
96%
Neo orthodox
75%
Emergent/Postmodern
57%
Fundamentalist
50%
Reformed Evangelical
50%
Classical Liberal
43%
Modern Liberal
32%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
29%
Roman Catholic
21%

I don't think I have ever read any of John Wesley writings...by the way who is John Shelby Spong they asked about...and some other lady that I never heard of? I did try to look him up to see what his beliefs were but then realized it would be very time consuming and I didn't want to do that much work...lol. I clicked on the very middle dot for him at that lady...cause I didn't know how to vote! I also don't believe in total totally depravation or irresistible grace...since neither are in the bible. People DO, sadly resist the grace of God and there are people that do 'good works' without believing in God (not saying they are 'good' by bibical standards..none of us are by bibical standards). Anyway I would say this test is totally unreliable! As a teenager my step dad was a pastor of a Methodist church but I haven't attended one since then for varies reasons.

Oh and I have no idea what Neo orthodox is...or what they stand for ...never heard of them at all actually...:hmm:

God blessThats why I made my second post in the thread...
One other thing. Make sure you answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you don't know the answer, research it before you continue.That way you give yourself a bit more fairness in the test.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:52 PM
Because I don't even know who John Wesley is.:lol:
John Wesley was one of the originators of the Methodist Church as we know it today...

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 04:53 PM
I took it again and gave the same answers but not didn't agree or disagree as strongly, and i came out a fundamentalist, wich makes more sense to me. :) think i rushed the first one,

i thought more on this one and i'm now fundametalist and think those liberals have watered down the Gospel ( wich is true) :lol:See, all you need to do is take your time with it.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 04:54 PM
John Wesley was one of the originators of the Methodist Church as we know it today...Did I score bad? Or was my score "normal"?

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 04:57 PM
See, all you need to do is take your time with it.

Yip, you sond like my old teachers :lol:. Nice find very interesting....... good post.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:00 PM
Did I score bad? Or was my score "normal"?I don't know Jordon. Do you feel you scored bad?

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:00 PM
Yip, you sond like my old teachers :lol:. Nice find very interesting....... good post.I'll take that as a compliment... Thank you.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 05:01 PM
Dont get to alarmed with the catholic thing, they actually get some things right. i disagreed as strong as possible with the catholic doctrine questions and still came out at 11%.

Rullion Green
May 6th 2008, 05:04 PM
I'll take that as a compliment... Thank you.

it was ! we fundamentalist's have to stick together :lol:

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know Jordon. Do you feel you scored bad?
I just don't understand what my score means really.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:12 PM
I just don't understand what my score means really.
Tell you what you do Jordon. Go back and take the test again. This time, when a question comes up you are sorta unclear about, research it. Then answer in the way you feel best suits your belief. Then post the results here and we will dig deeper into it.

BrckBrln
May 6th 2008, 05:26 PM
I'm 100% Reformed Evangelical. What a surprise. ;)

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 05:28 PM
Well what exactly does my score mean I believe?

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:40 PM
I'm 100% Reformed Evangelical. What a surprise. ;)Well well well... Will wonders never cease? :D

ProjectPeter
May 6th 2008, 05:43 PM
It is confusing because I think it is not that great a test. :lol: Too many of the questions weren't worded that great and if you picked an answer in between to try and offset that... it just ignored that and grades on the ones you answer firm yes or no.

I then went and clicked all no. Then it gives you a list (tie breaker) and you have to choose 1 out of about 8 views or so that you think MOST important. Then it does the same. I've never put much stock in these things... I've even seen them for spiritual gifts and calling and whatnot.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:44 PM
Well what exactly does my score mean I believe?

Well, at your first attempt at the test is shows you as a Methodist who is also Holiness with a touch of Calvanist. What I'm concerned about is in order for the test to mean anything, you need to understand the questions to a certain degree Jordan.

The Parson
May 6th 2008, 05:47 PM
It is confusing because I think it is not that great a test. :lol: Too many of the questions weren't worded that great and if you picked an answer in between to try and offset that... it just ignored that and grades on the ones you answer firm yes or no.

I then went and clicked all no. Then it gives you a list (tie breaker) and you have to choose 1 out of about 8 views or so that you think MOST important. Then it does the same. I've never put much stock in these things... I've even seen them for spiritual gifts and calling and whatnot.Actually, it's made me consider trying to make one that is more complete and precise ProPet. That's actually the reason I am asking everyone to make sure they understand the questions.

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 05:47 PM
I knew what most of the question's meant. If I didn't know what they meant I just put the dot in the center.

Frances
May 6th 2008, 05:49 PM
John Wesley, and his brother Charles, were evangelists in (I think)the 1700s, and founded the Methodist church. . . also wrote 100s of hymns, many well known today. (Their mother had an enormous number of children)

I didn't do the questionaire, but am very happy to be a Fundamentalist - (but I don't go along with some of the things attributed to fundamentalists). actually, I don't believe anyone can really be a Christian if they don't believe the fundamental Truths in the Bible. . . the term 'fundamentalists' only became 'beyond the pale' when liberal teaching became the norm.

ProjectPeter
May 6th 2008, 05:51 PM
Actually, it's made me consider trying to make one that is more complete and precise ProPet. That's actually the reason I am asking everyone to make sure they understand the questions.
You should because that one wasn't that good. :lol:

JordanW
May 6th 2008, 05:51 PM
Well my Dad goes to a Methodist church but he himself told me he wasn't a Methodist, just that he was going there for now. He brings home the bulletin's that they give out at church and they have tons of hymn's in them.

moonglow
May 7th 2008, 02:02 PM
I think we should do the levels of hell test so everyone knows what level of hell they will be going too....:lol:

Boy that one is STRICT and alot of the 'sins' are more like someone's opinion of certain things rather then based solely on the bible.Also when I checked on believing in Jesus and that all my sins were forgiven THAT should have wiped away all my sins....but then they go on with...'have you ever lied, stolen, etc' in the past....so they were holding you accountable for past sins and ignoring the part of our sins being forgiven once we accept Jesus! :B

So I ended up in the highest level of hell...or was it purgatory? :hmm: I forget now. But gee wizz, if I listed ALL my sins in the past..having no grace at all in this test, I am sure I would have ended up in the lower levels of hell...:o

Good thing we have Grace! uh?

God bless

The Parson
May 7th 2008, 02:42 PM
Glory to God for that unmerited favor of the Lord on us. Praise His Holy Name moonglow... :bounce:

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 03:40 PM
I think I'll retake the test and if I have questions then I can ask you Parson. :)

seamus414
May 7th 2008, 03:42 PM
This is an interesting test.

When I finished it I realized that there is no catagory for me: High Church Anglican (side note: I am a conservative Anglican, not the crazy liberal Episcopalians currently masquerading as Anglicans in the U.S. and Canada).

When I finished it I noticed that the catagory did not fit me but the scoring did. The test labeled me as a Roman Catholic, which is far from the truth. However, as a stereotypical Anglican, if you look at the percentages in the scoring it was pretty accurate:

86% RC;
79% Neo orthodox;
75% Wesleyan
71% Fundamentalist
54% Reformed
43% Charasmatic/Pentacostal
32% emergent/postmodern
21% classical liberal
7% modern liberal

I note very Anglican scoring: essentially equal weight to RC/Wesley/Fundamentalism and a healthy and significant sprinklint of Calvinism and a strong recognition of pentacostalism. This scoring relfects the composite theology of Anglicanism pretty well. Anglicans have no problem believing to stereotypical RC beliefs (like the great importance of Holy Communion and church councils) while at the same time believing stereotypical very-Protestant beliefs like the supreme authority of the Bible. Therefore, I think Anglicanism should be a catagory to any new test that is developed to relfect this sort of both/and outlook rather than the more typical either/or outlook.

As an aside: I think one of the problems with tests like this, as well as personal theological decisions, is that they are often made through emotion and not logic. For example take the question "There is a significant place for Mary in Christian theology" - I am sure many Protestants on this board immediately answered "disagree" or close to it as an emotional reaction of not wanting to be RC when, in fact, one can say legitimately that she has a significant place without going to excesses and not being RC. Therefore, a higher (perahaps middle or slightly to the right) response would be more accurate if the person thought the answer through.

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 03:48 PM
Icons can be useful to help people meditate on the Christian Faith. What does this mean?

seamus414
May 7th 2008, 03:52 PM
What is neo-orthodoxy?

What makes something specifically emergent?

seamus414
May 7th 2008, 03:54 PM
Icons can be useful to help people meditate on the Christian Faith. What does this mean?

It is asking whether art work like icons, statues, stained glass pictures and the like help your prayer life, contemplation, and/or Christian spirituality in any way. If you think that they do or could, then more to the agree side, if not then more to the disagree side.

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 03:56 PM
You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists. Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
86% Neo orthodox
68% Emergent/Postmodern
64% Fundamentalist
61% Classical Liberal
57% Charismatic/Pentecostal
54% Modern Liberal
50% Reformed Evangelical
50% Roman Catholic
50%
Same stuff.:D

moonglow
May 7th 2008, 04:05 PM

Orthodox Christians do this...an icon is statues or pictures of well know Christians in our history. I posted on a message board once in the section where they had these people and asked alot of questions...wondering about it you know? And they explained what the icons were...they would see them upon entering a church and kiss them or bow to them...give some type of honor to them. I also knew someone on the net that had these icons in their homes too...because of their faith. They also celebrate Christians in January..not sure about other holidays. As far as I am concerned this is a dangerous practice...but as they point out its no different then us having a cross in church or home or pictures of Jesus or other things that show our faith. But I have never seen anyone bow to these things, or kiss them or pay some type of honor to them. Anyway that is what icons are.

God bless

RogerW
May 7th 2008, 04:06 PM
I recently took a well thought out test that placed me in the 100% fundamentalist bracket and to be quiet honest, I'm far from being a fundamentalist in practice. For instance, I am not a pre tribulational, pre millenial rapturist. Don't even use the term rapture. I don't believe the pastor is the ultimate authority in the church nor should he lord over God's people. Yet in belief, I seemed to be catagorized in this area. It was an eye opener.

The URL is http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 and I invite you to take the test yourself and lets discuss the results.

Hi Parson Tim,

I'm so shocked by the results.....100% Reformed Evangelical? Who ME? Go figure! :kiss:

Blessings,
RW

Theophilus
May 7th 2008, 04:25 PM
100 % Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

I should hope so! ;)

ProjectPeter
May 7th 2008, 04:27 PM
100 % Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan

I should hope so! ;)
Ha! That's what I scored too! :lol:

JordanW
May 7th 2008, 04:34 PM
I got like 86% that. :)

Theophilus
May 7th 2008, 04:36 PM
Ha! That's what I scored too! :lol:
PP, you ol' Nazarene "wanna be"!

;)

ProjectPeter
May 7th 2008, 04:39 PM
PP, you ol' Nazarene "wanna be"!

;)
Well... most Nazarene and early school Pentecostal folk are cut from the same cloth. So may as well. ;)

Semi-tortured
May 7th 2008, 04:48 PM
Quiz results: What's your theological worldview?You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/WesleyanYou are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 86% Fundamentalist 68% Reformed Evangelical 68% Neo orthodox 61% Emergent/Postmodern 50% Classical Liberal 46% Charismatic/Pentecostal 43% Modern Liberal 25% Roman Catholic 11%

coldfire136
May 7th 2008, 04:52 PM
I just wanted to say a few things that I have been noticing from some of the responses here:

1. There is more to Catholicism than Mary. I noticed that a few people said they disagreed with the Mary question and they still got over 10% catholic. Protestants sometimes forget to pay their dues to the history of their faith. Whether they like it or not, they are the awkward children of the Catholic faith, not the other way around. As much as the reforms have changed the Protestant church from the catholic church, there are still MANY similarities between the two branches of Christianity.
2. There is no reason to fear Wesley, he is safe within the confines of the protestant faith. You should really do some research on the history of your faith because he and his brother have shaped many aspects of the protestant faith. I am worried how many evangelicals think they are somehow "free" from historical influences. It is those who know no history that are shaped most by it.
3. Someone asked what makes one "emergent." This is a complicated question, but basically it is someone who embraces postmodernism not as a problem, but as a new way of viewing reality that must be observed and used to present Christianity in light of a new generation. They are interested in a new vein of thinking that deal with culture as it stands today and how Christianity might effect it. Look at those like Tony Jones and Doug Pagitt.

Semi-tortured
May 7th 2008, 05:02 PM

I then went and clicked all no. Then it gives you a list (tie breaker) and you have to choose 1 out of about 8 views or so that you think MOST important. Then it does the same. I've never put much stock in these things... I've even seen them for spiritual gifts and calling and whatnot.

The Mary question was sorta unfair because I do think she is important to the faith because it is a huge prophecy that Jesus would be born of a virgin, but I think the creator of the quiz was looking at something else while asking the question.

With quizzes like that, I find myself trying to answer how I feel, but also taking into account what the author of the quiz meant by his question.

Semi-tortured
May 7th 2008, 05:04 PM
I just wanted to say a few things that I have been noticing from some of the responses here:

1. There is more to Catholicism than Mary. I noticed that a few people said they disagreed with the Mary question and they still got over 10% catholic. Protestants sometimes forget to pay their dues to the history of their faith. Whether they like it or not, they are the awkward children of the Catholic faith, not the other way around. As much as the reforms have changed the Protestant church from the catholic church, there are still MANY similarities between the two branches of Christianity.

The underlined is patently false.

seamus414
May 7th 2008, 05:08 PM
The underlined is patently false.

Just saying it does not prove it. What is your evidence and/or arguments?

coldfire136
May 7th 2008, 05:26 PM
I will just give two examples of how protestants have been influenced by catholics. First, we still take communion, a tradition that began in the protestant church. Second, we both believe that baptism is an important part of Christianity. While protestants have "reformed" the tradition (to various degrees in various traditions), they are still based primarily on the passing down of the traditions from the catholic church.

moonglow
May 7th 2008, 05:30 PM
I will just give two examples of how protestants have been influenced by catholics. First, we still take communion, a tradition that began in the protestant church. Second, we both believe that baptism is an important part of Christianity. While protestants have "reformed" the tradition (to various degrees in various traditions), they are still based primarily on the passing down of the traditions from the catholic church.

I have to disagree that we do that because of the Catholic church...We do it because its in the bible...the first churches taught this BECAUSE Jesus told them to do it. So straight from Jesus to Peter, to John, to all of them...they of course passed this on to the first Christians.

Of course the bible wasn't put together yet then...nor was the NT written yet...so they disciples taught what Jesus taught them. It has nothing to do with tradition. Its straight from the teachings of Jesus. Traditions tend to have no scriptural backing too by the way.

God bless

coldfire136
May 7th 2008, 05:43 PM
Hi moonglow,
I am incredibly confused by your answer. You say that the Catholic churches do communion because Jesus told them to. Is this a bad thing?

2 Peter 2:20
May 7th 2008, 06:42 PM
You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/WesleyanYou are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 93%

Spot on!!!!

seamus414
May 7th 2008, 07:20 PM
I have to disagree that we do that because of the Catholic church...We do it because its in the bible...the first churches taught this BECAUSE Jesus told them to do it. So straight from Jesus to Peter, to John, to all of them...they of course passed this on to the first Christians.

Of course the bible wasn't put together yet then...nor was the NT written yet...so they disciples taught what Jesus taught them. It has nothing to do with tradition. Its straight from the teachings of Jesus. Traditions tend to have no scriptural backing too by the way.

God bless

Here's the thing: if you follow the line from Jesus to Peter to John to his followers to their followers and down the line like a family tree, that line does not go to folks like Luther, Calvin, or Zwingli.

Theophilus
May 7th 2008, 07:38 PM
Here's the thing: if you follow the line from Jesus to Peter to John to his followers to their followers and down the line like a family tree, that line does not go to folks like Luther, Calvin, or Zwingli.

...and to whom does the "line" go?

The Parson
May 7th 2008, 07:47 PM
Here's the thing: if you follow the line from Jesus to Peter to John to his followers to their followers and down the line like a family tree, that line does not go to folks like Luther, Calvin, or Zwingli.Gee, I reckon we need to take some verses out of the scriptures then.

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Now quit the derailing please...

seamus414
May 8th 2008, 01:46 AM
...and to whom does the "line" go?

Let me put it this way: Jesus ordained the Apostles and they ordained their successors and they ordained their successors and down the line and we know who has been ordained in that line of succession.

seamus414
May 8th 2008, 01:49 AM
Gee, I reckon we need to take some verses out of the scriptures then.

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Now quit the derailing please...

Not sure how your post relates. The issue on the table raised by someone else above is where certain practices/beliefs come from and is the issue to which I responded.

Your post seems to address who can be saved, which was not at issue in this thread.

The Parson
May 8th 2008, 03:07 AM
So what are you addressing? Apostolic sussesion?

Debra R
May 16th 2008, 11:11 PM
That was an interesting quiz.

My hubby and I took it together. We agreed on the questions. I think that's cool. :) Besides, he had to explain some of the questions to me :D.
And there were some trick questions. And the way some were worded was tough. :rolleyes:

But here is our conclusion....

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 100%

Fundamentalist 86%

Emergent/Postmodern 79%

Neo orthodox 71%

Reformed Evangelical 46%

Charismatic/Pentecostal 43%

Classical Liberal 43%

Modern Liberal 29%

Roman Catholic 14%

Some of that I don't understand what it means? Like Emergent/Post Modern? Classical Liberal? Modern Liberal? Those must have been the trick questions. :D

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. My hubby and I go to a Wesleyan church. :)

Blessings :hug:

Son_kissed
May 17th 2008, 03:06 PM

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 82%

Neo orthodox 61%

Emergent/Postmodern 50%

Fundamentalist 43%

Reformed Evangelical 43%

Roman Catholic 36%

Classical Liberal 36%

Charismatic/Pentecostal 32%

Modern Liberal 21%

The results don't really surprise me, but what does is the way they define Wesleyan. I spent half my childhood in the Nazarene church and never remember being taught that the Holy spirit enabled our obedience (same thing in the conservative Baptist church I attended years later). For the longest time I was pretty much under the assumption that our obedience was in and of ourselves.

I'm non-denominational now, and probably always will be.

My heart's Desire
May 18th 2008, 02:56 AM
Oh boy, I get to that a test! Going to now1

My heart's Desire
May 18th 2008, 03:18 AM
humm, I didn't know I was heavily influenced by Wesley of the Methodists. I've always been a Baptist...well except for a foray for awhile into nondenominationalism Word of Faith style! I can think of one or 2 questions that I would have like to put an explaination to after answering. like the holiness to see God one. If God makes you holy because you are a believer in Christ then you will see God. ;)

Athanasius
May 18th 2008, 03:22 AM
Looks about right to me.

96%
Fundamentalist
71%
Reformed Evangelical
61%
Neo orthodox
50%
Charismatic/Pentecostal
46%
Classical Liberal
43%
Roman Catholic
21%
Emergent/Postmodern
18%
Modern Liberal
14%

I'm scared of people who scored high on the Emergent/Postmodernist aspect ><

Ashley274
May 18th 2008, 04:01 AM
What's your theological worldview?You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/WesleyanYou are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 79% Neo orthodox 71% Reformed Evangelical 64% Fundamentalist 61% Charismatic/Pentecostal 61% Roman Catholic 54% Classical Liberal 43% Emergent/Postmodern 32% Modern Liberal
So what do you make of this ..my results???

I remember 2 questions that leaned towards Catholic ..the one on Mary..well she IS special GOD chose HER to have a child as a virgin...blessed is she among all women is in the Bible...also the Pope being the head of the church ..he is of the Catholic church...so I put those two near the middle to mostly agree..I AM NOT ANTI-CATHOLIC many are saved too...Also I didn't know who two people were so I just picked in the middle...I thought I might lean towards Calvanist but I reckon not

Debra R
May 18th 2008, 04:13 AM
I'm scared of people who scored high on the Emergent/Postmodernist aspect ><

Scared me too :D
I got 79% on that and I don't even know what that means. I must have messed up on the trick questions. That was hubby's fault. :D

Athanasius
May 18th 2008, 04:39 AM
Emergent... We can't know truth; what 'truth' we do have is relative to language groups. Truth is only 'truth' because we use words to make it true.. God is unknowable, scripture is mysterious and needs to be constantly re-defined for every generation.

It's a return to the Catholicism of the middle centuries mixed in with a new form of liberalism ;\

seamus414
May 18th 2008, 04:49 AM
Emergent... We can't know truth; what 'truth' we do have is relative to language groups. Truth is only 'truth' because we use words to make it true.. God is unknowable, scripture is mysterious and needs to be constantly re-defined for every generation.

It's a return to the Catholicism of the middle centuries mixed in with a new form of liberalism ;\

Roman Catholicism never supported any of the above ever in its history. In fact quite the opposite.

Athanasius
May 18th 2008, 05:07 AM
Roman Catholicism never supported any of the above ever in its history. In fact quite the opposite.

Yeah, I know, I should have been clearer. I talked about the new form of liberalism, rather than the Catholicism... It's very much into icons, symbols, ritual prayers... etc.

Debra R
May 18th 2008, 10:03 PM

:hmm: Thanks for the info. But that "emergent" definition is a thousand miles from anything I believe.

Athanasius
May 18th 2008, 10:24 PM
:hmm: Thanks for the info. But that "emergent" definition is a thousand miles from anything I believe.

I wouldn't doubt it ;)

The Parson
May 18th 2008, 11:59 PM
Folks, are there any of the questions you felt were misleading or cloudy?

Ashley274
May 19th 2008, 03:55 AM

The Parson...hi, I posted a page (I think) back what I thought kind of threw the test off somewhat...I myself didn't know the two names they listed..when I took the test I felt it could be cheating to go look them up ....then come back and take the test....I also wonder what you made of my results they are posted back a ways..Thanks it was a fun test but could have been less cloudy here and there.

Gulah Papyrus
May 19th 2008, 04:35 AM

86% Fundamentalist
82% Reformed Evangelical
64% Neo orthodox
61% Emergent/Postmodern
36% Classical Liberal
7% Modern Liberal
4% Catholic

Is it bad to be what I came out to be?:confused
Yes, very, very bad...I came about the same as you, what are we going to do?:confused:eek::B:hmm::giveup::help::rofl:;)

9Marksfan
May 19th 2008, 10:02 AM

23, 24, 25, 31, 43 and 61 were a bit "loaded" and I didn't know whether they were testing a particular allegiance or not - but I still came out 100% Reformed, so no surprises there!!!! :lol:

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 01:41 PM
What's your theological worldview?You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/WesleyanYou are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 79% Neo orthodox 71% Reformed Evangelical 64% Fundamentalist 61% Charismatic/Pentecostal 61% Roman Catholic 54% Classical Liberal 43% Emergent/Postmodern 32% Modern Liberal
So what do you make of this ..my results???

I remember 2 questions that leaned towards Catholic ..the one on Mary..well she IS special GOD chose HER to have a child as a virgin...blessed is she among all women is in the Bible...also the Pope being the head of the church ..he is of the Catholic church...so I put those two near the middle to mostly agree..I AM NOT ANTI-CATHOLIC many are saved too...Also I didn't know who two people were so I just picked in the middle...I thought I might lean towards Calvanist but I reckon notAs far as Mary, yes, she was blessed among all women but she had to have a Savior too which placed her among us all. As far as the pope, that question meant was he the head of all the church. If you even mildly agreed with that, you were place in a catagory that held you as catholic in one way or another.

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 01:43 PM
23, 24, 25, 31, 43 and 61 were a bit "loaded" and I didn't know whether they were testing a particular allegiance or not - but I still came out 100% Reformed, so no surprises there!!!! :lol:Aye lad, I dinna think ye coulda confused yer bliefs with any of the questions.

Brother Mark
May 19th 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't think the questions were clear nor precise enough. But here's my score.

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan You are an evangelical in the Wesleyan tradition. You believe that God's grace enables you to choose to believe in him, even though you yourself are totally depraved. The gift of the Holy Spirit gives you assurance of your salvation, and he also enables you to live the life of obedience to which God has called us. You are influenced heavly by John Wesley and the Methodists.

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 86%
Fundamentalist 79%
Neo orthodox 54%
Reformed Evangelical 46%
Emergent/Postmodern 43%
Classical Liberal 43%
Charismatic/Pentecostal 39%
Modern Liberal 14%
Roman Catholic 7%

I was surprised to learn that the emergent church and Modern liberals had so much truth in them. :D

9Marksfan
May 19th 2008, 02:34 PM
Aye lad, I dinna think ye coulda confused yer bliefs with any of the questions.

Steady on! We don't all sound like Scotty from Star Trek! I'm more like Ewan McGregor (he grew up less than 25 miles away from me - my flatmate at uni's younger brother was in his class - he didn't excel at school - one school report said "This boy will never achieve anything"!!! :lol: ). My wife thinks I'd make a good newsreader! :rofl:

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 02:44 PM
I kina help talking like Scotty my friend. It's me heritage...

9Marksfan
May 19th 2008, 02:55 PM
I kina help talking like Scotty my friend. It's me heritage...

Ye canna change the laws ah physics, Cap'n!

tgallison
May 19th 2008, 03:08 PM

I am not 14% Roman Catholic

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Fundamentalist You are a fundamentalist. You take the Bible as the foundation of your faith and read it very literally, and it shapes your worldview. Non-fundamentalist Christians have watered-down the Gospel in your view, and academic study of the Bible stops us from 'taking God at his word.' Science is opposed to faith, as it contradicts basic biblical truths. Fundamentalist
100% Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
79% Reformed Evangelical
64% Neo orthodox
61% Classical Liberal
50% Emergent/Postmodern
29% Roman Catholic
14% Modern Liberal
7%
And what is even worse is 7% Liberal. Not sure what a fundamentalist is, must be alright.

I do not believe science is opposed to faith. It has to do with our knowledge.

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 03:10 PM
The biggest problem I'm seeing is that the quiz places people into catagories because of commonalities. I'm looking for a way to create a exam that will see past that commonalites. Maybe a rabbit trail program would be better to write. A rabbit trail program can be a simple html quiz that, from the get go, places you in a certain doctrinal area and then works from that area outward.

The quiz we are taking seems more unfair in that it chooses only a certain group with their quinticentualities and then places you into it. For instance, make one step towards a predominantly Roman Catholic doctrine and you are placed as a Roman Catholic even if you are a Luthern.

It also seems the author had a limited scope of who was who.

Brother Mark
May 19th 2008, 03:13 PM
The biggest problem I'm seeing is that the quiz places people into catagories because of commonalities. I'm looking for a way to create a exam that will see past that commonalites. Maybe a rabbit trail program would be better to write. A rabbit trail program can be a simple html quiz that, from the get go, places you in a certain doctrinal area and then works from that area outward.

This one seems more unfair in that it chooses only a certain group with their quinticentualities and then places you into it. For instance, make one step towards a predominantly Roman Catholic doctrine and you are placed as a Roman Catholic even if you are a Luthern.

Yep. Some of the questions also were not very revealing. For instance, it would say something like "Doctrine is more important than inner experience". Well shoot, tell that to the guy in hell. He probably knows doctrine well, but without the experience, he burns forever. On the other hand, if we place experience above doctrine, we end up in hell too.

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 03:17 PM
I am not 14% Roman Catholic

What's your theological worldview? You scored as a Fundamentalist You are a fundamentalist. You take the Bible as the foundation of your faith and read it very literally, and it shapes your worldview. Non-fundamentalist Christians have watered-down the Gospel in your view, and academic study of the Bible stops us from 'taking God at his word.' Science is opposed to faith, as it contradicts basic biblical truths. Fundamentalist
100% Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan
79% Reformed Evangelical
64% Neo orthodox
61% Classical Liberal
50% Emergent/Postmodern
29% Roman Catholic
14% Modern Liberal
7%
And what is even worse is 7% Liberal. Not sure what a fundamentalist is, must be alright.

I do not believe science is opposed to faith. It has to do with our knowledge.That would be my case in point. A fundamentalist would be like our "Independent, fundamentalist, Pretribulational, premillenial, brethren who have a minor mixture of Wesleyan because of their origins. For instance, they took the old grass ancient Baptist beliefs and mixed them with a certain degree of Wesleys views and then culminated them around certain Mennonite seperatist convictions giving us the fundy believers of today. Yet you don't have a clue who these brethren are. Do you?

tgallison
May 19th 2008, 06:00 PM
That would be my case in point. A fundamentalist would be like our "Independent, fundamentalist, Pretribulational, premillenial, brethren who have a minor mixture of Wesleyan because of their origins. For instance, they took the old grass ancient Baptist beliefs and mixed them with a certain degree of Wesleys views and then culminated them around certain Mennonite seperatist convictions giving us the fundy believers of today. Yet you don't have a clue who these brethren are. Do you?

Well I am not pretrib. and I don't have a grasp of the mellenium, and I do not know anything about the other groups except the Roman Catholics and the Pentecostals. Now the liberals, I am quite familiar with.

So I guess the most important thing is whether I align with the Word. Is there a test for that?

terrell

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 06:22 PM
Well I am not pretrib. and I don't have a grasp of the mellenium, and I do not know anything about the other groups except the Roman Catholics and the Pentecostals. Now the liberals, I am quite familiar with.

So I guess the most important thing is whether I align with the Word. Is there a test for that?

terrellYes, there's a test for that. It's a quiz book called the Holy Bible.:D

Buck shot
May 19th 2008, 06:26 PM
What's your theological worldview?You scored as a FundamentalistYou are a fundamentalist. You take the Bible as the foundation of your faith and read it very literally, and it shapes your worldview. Non-fundamentalist Christians have watered-down the Gospel in your view, and academic study of the Bible stops us from 'taking God at his word.' Science is opposed to faith, as it contradicts basic biblical truths.Fundamentalist 100% Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 86% Reformed Evangelical 86% Neo orthodox 68% Classical Liberal 50% Charismatic/Pentecostal 46% Emergent/Postmodern 43% Modern Liberal 25% Roman Catholic 18%
Why am I not surprised? :lol: Scored me as a fundamentalist, image that....

Respectable Poet
May 19th 2008, 07:30 PM
here is mine.

You scored as a Emergent/PostmodernYou are Emergent/Postmodern in your theology. You feel alienated from older forms of church, you don't think they connect to modern culture very well. No one knows the whole truth about God, and we have much to learn from each other, and so learning takes place in dialogue. Evangelism should take place in relationships rather than through crusades and altar-calls. People are interested in spirituality and want to ask questions, so the church should help them to do this.Emergent/Postmodern 57% Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 50%

The Parson
May 19th 2008, 07:33 PM
here is mine.

You scored as a Emergent/PostmodernYou are Emergent/Postmodern in your theology. You feel alienated from older forms of church, you don't think they connect to modern culture very well. No one knows the whole truth about God, and we have much to learn from each other, and so learning takes place in dialogue. Evangelism should take place in relationships rather than through crusades and altar-calls. People are interested in spirituality and want to ask questions, so the church should help them to do this.Emergent/Postmodern 57% Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan 50%So do you believe that is accurate as far as you are concerned?

Buck shot
May 19th 2008, 08:16 PM
So do you believe that is accurate as far as you are concerned?

Can I answer? :P

I don't think it is totally accurate either!

I agree I am a fundamentalist and don't mind that title at all.

I don't agree with it saying that I am against science. I truly believe a little science leads a person away from God but a deeper study of science will bring a person back and show just how awesome God is.

I don't agree that an academic study of the Bible keeps us from taking God at His word. I think the more we study the more we will realise the truths of His word! :idea:

Respectable Poet
May 19th 2008, 08:37 PM
So do you believe that is accurate as far as you are concerned?

It is about 70% accurate for me.

seamus414
May 19th 2008, 08:45 PM

The quiz we are taking seems more unfair in that it chooses only a certain group with their quinticentualities and then places you into it. For instance, make one step towards a predominantly Roman Catholic doctrine and you are placed as a Roman Catholic even if you are a Luthern.

As I said way way above in this thread, I do not feel that Anglicanism is represented well in this test. For me, I came out with very similar numbers for RCC, Weslyan, Fundamentalist, and neo-orthodox with a healthy bit of Reformed in there too. Those numbers are pretty typical for an ANglican which has a sort of composite theology of all of those things.

I also think it misses theological nuiance. Anglicans generally recognize that the Bishop of Rome is the most senior bishop of the world while, at the same time, not recognizing that he has unlimited jurisdiction in all parts of the church. However, an recognition of the Pope in this test makes you a RC.

All in all I thought the breakdown was reasonably accurate but the assessment of the breakdown (i.e.: labeling me as RC) was not accurate.

Ashley274
May 20th 2008, 02:37 AM
As far as Mary, yes, she was blessed among all women but she had to have a Savior too which placed her among us all. As far as the pope, that question meant was he the head of all the church. If you even mildly agreed with that, you were place in a catagory that held you as catholic in one way or another.

Thanks The Parson ....I agree she needed Jesus too however the question IMO could have been more accurate if it has been something like " Do you believe Mary is God or LIKE God" The Pope is the head of the Catholic church but not EVERY church in the world ...but they didn't make that clear question wise...I do not mind at all my score ..I tend to be odd which is what I am asking you about..If you note my scores I was almost 40-50% a lot of things...2 being prominent and I am not familar with the Neo Orthodox I have no clue what that is...and didnt see one that meant Baptist..I am just trying to understand my score and am lost....help ;) and thanks :hug: