PDA

View Full Version : December 25th.

cpt2falcon
May 9th 2008, 06:47 AM
Was Jesus born on December 25th? If not then why the date? I remember one of my old high school teachers mentioning something about this, but don't remember what. I was hoping this would spark my memory.

JordanW
May 9th 2008, 07:08 AM
No he was not. I believe he was born sometime in September actually. I'm not sure on the date though...

ServantofTruth
May 9th 2008, 02:50 PM
The truth is noone knows when Jesus was born, so it is not impossible he was actually born on this date. However it is thought by modern scholars, i believe, that around September is most likely.
However some of the factors used in the dating will depend on your type of christian belief.

What is really important to all Christians, is that GOD became flesh/ human. A virgin, concieved not through sexual relations with a man, but by that same GOD's spirit.
God came and lived as one of us, like you and me, and experienced all our emotions, physical and mental highs and lows. Remained spotless/ sinless and then made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross.

This is not a bad place to access our faith, perhaps by reading Luke's or Matthew's gospels. But if you like the bigger eternal picture jump straight to John's gospel. I must recommend Mark's gospel for speed of pace and excitement.

Tell you what try the whole bible a chapter a day? Only half joking! It was enough to 'save' me! Servant of Truth.

Eaglenester
May 9th 2008, 03:05 PM
If you want to know when Messiah was born - look to and study The Feasts of Yahweh.

As far as Dec 25 - that comes from paganism that the Roman catholic brought into it's traditions and practices.

If you study TRUE American history, christmas was not celebrated, and was even banned because the early settlers knew the roots and wanted nothing to do with it.

Revinius
May 9th 2008, 04:27 PM
Christmas is a time when many Christians celebrate His birth, it doesnt mean he was born then but its a time you can celebrate Him. Some find its roots a burden but most simply use the time to give God some glory as we should in all things.

karenoka27
May 9th 2008, 04:40 PM
I skimmed through the Old Testament verses regarding birth and I didn't find any that say the date of anyone's birth..doesn't mean there aren't any, I just didn't find any. I think the exact date isn't important, what is, is that we use Christmas as an opportunity to reflect on the birth of Christ.
It is such an awesome thought to think that God Himself would leave His place in heaven to come to earth to become like us. Not only did He do that but He willingly walked this earth right to the cross to die for our sins, being buried, and rising again, having victory over death. It is something we could celebrate often.

Philippians 2:7-9-"...but made Himself nothing,taking the very nature of a servant,being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a manhe humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross! Therefore God exalted Him to the Highest place and gave Him the Name that is above every name..."

John 3:16-"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son,that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

tango
May 9th 2008, 11:51 PM
Was Jesus born on December 25th? If not then why the date? I remember one of my old high school teachers mentioning something about this, but don't remember what. I was hoping this would spark my memory.

Very briefly, December 25th was the pagan festival of Yuletide. As far as I know the precise date of Jesus' birth isn't recorded anywhere. In bygone years when the church was expanding and pushing out pagan religions it was easier to adapt their festivals than abolish them completely. So Yuletide became Christmas and so the people who wanted to continue to celebrate their old festival could still do so, they just needed to add a few extra bits to it. You still get Yule logs today.

But the key question has to be, does it really matter? We celebrate Christ's birthday on a day that's just as good a guess as any other. In the UK the Queen has an "official" birthday which is in June, despite the fact her actual birthday was much earlier in the year. Her official birthday is celebrated on a different day because it's more likely the weather will be nice.

Celebrating Christmas doesn't make you a better person, nor does not celebrating Christmas. Focus on what Jesus taught and his works rather than what day he was born.

Teke
May 10th 2008, 01:56 AM

Many times the way the world translates something for us is not the way the church taught it. The world is not the Church, they don't keep the same calendar. But worldly knowledge can be very accommodating to folks thinking. ;)

slynx
May 11th 2008, 05:21 PM
Excerpts from http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/was-jesus-born-on-december-25-faq.htm

Was Jesus born on December 25? There is no evidence for this date. So then, who decided that Jesus' birth would be celebrated on that date? The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially proclaimed December 25 as the birth of Christ. This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice.

The Bible itself tells us that December 25 is an unlikely date for His birth. Palestine is very cold in December. It was much too cold to ask everyone to travel to the city of their fathers to register for taxes. Also the shepherds were in the fields (Luke 2:8-12). Shepherds were not in the fields in the winter time. They are in the fields early in March until early October. This would place Jesus' birth in the spring or early fall. It is also known that Jesus lived for 33.5 years and died at the feast of the Passover, which is at Easter time. He must therefore have been born six months the other side of Easter - making the date around the September/October time frames.

JIML
May 13th 2008, 07:52 AM

As others said, not its not the date Jesus was born, in fact in the old calendar, Christmas is celebrated on the 7th of January so that makes it even more confusing. I think what your teacher was probably saying is that the Catholic church took this date because it was the day that people celebrated the birth of some pagan god, which made the transition from paganism to Christianity easier. If you wanna know more, read up on Natalis Solis Invicti on wikipedia.

Ephraimsdaughter
Jun 2nd 2008, 04:58 PM
December 25th is not the birthday of Jesus. It was a pagan festival taken by Christians. The faith I belong to teaches it was 6 April that he was born. We still celebrate December 25th, but in a vain similar to the Queen's, whose official birthday is in June, while her real birthdate is April 21st.

grit
Jun 2nd 2008, 07:17 PM
We generally have no record of the date of Jesus’ birth. Since said date is absent from the Scriptures, it would appear as though either the exact date of his birth is not of any great significance as information God would have us to certainly know (just as is true with the date of Christ’s return), or that at the very least God is not willing that his people know such date with certainty at this time.

Now, I will admit to marginally celebrating Christmas as a matter of prevalent Christian and social culture, and sometimes even with the fanfare and devotion of church and family celebrations; however, Christmas was not favoured for celebration in the predominant Reformed / Puritan / Presbyterian / Baptist / Methodist traditions prior to the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War) and the early 1900s in America. Even as celebration began to take hold in the States, the festivities were far from devoutly religious and sacred, but rather predominantly secularized (similar to modern Christian appraisals of Halloween) to the degree that the State (the federal government) often had to take measures to quell the riotous revelry and bedlam (fires, lootings, property damage, public drunkenness, etc.) associated with Yule celebrations.

Since most early Christian settlers in America not only did not celebrate Christmas but were actually strongly opposed to it, most early celebrations of it here were decidedly lacking in religious focus. It had even been the German Hessian revelry and drunkenness connected to Christmas celebration that won George Washington’s beleaguered Continental Army a victory in crossing the Delaware for a surprise attack on Trenton, December 25, 1776, quite possibly saving the American Revolutionary War for Independence from disastrous defeat. One might say that it was America’s lack of celebrating Christmas and the German’s favour of celebrating it that led to American independence from Britain. In the waning of Puritan influence toward the highest sloe regard for Sunday worship alone on the Church calendar, it was actually the secular government’s later campaign to make more of a family celebration out of Christmas, giving us the American Santa Claus and emphasis on civil family celebrations with children at heart, which generally took hold and established the Christmas of America, as many more German immigrants and Lutherans gained greater influence into children-focused Sunday School and kindergarten practices. In essence, in the American celebration of Christmas, the government used a greater measure of secularized family focus toward the establishment of Christmas popularity than any initial religious promotion. Sure, it still centered on celebrating Jesus’ birth, and Jesus is the heart of Christianity, but it was a State-sponsored successful attempt at remaking Christmas into something more appetizing to American religious culture that is to be credited as much as anything else in how Christmas became accepted into American religious practice.

As for the date of December 25, most historical scholarship would agree that the influence toward the Christian selection of it is rooted in Roman, Babylonian, and pagan religious practice which followed the generally world-wide practice of honouring the winter solstice in some way. The Roman celebration of Deus Sol Invictus (the "Unconquered Sun God"), in conjunction with elements of the celebration of Saturnalia is of primary influence. ‘Christianized’ Church justifications for December 25th followed later.

I don’t fault Christians for devoutly celebrating Jesus’ birth today. In most Christian circles the date of December 25th has been admirably redeemed from any pagan emphasis toward holy consecration in worshiping God in spirit and in truth. Even pagan symbols have been redeemed with Christian merit. I take an even more admirable consideration of Messianic (Jewish-Christian) celebrations of Jesus’ birth in conjunction with the Feast of Tabernacles (dwellings)(September/October), of Christ’s coming “to dwell” among God’s people. However, any emphatic or dogmatic insistence on the date of December 25th for the birth of Jesus, even from the establishment of Church tradition (as is true in Roman Catholicism), may present problems in effectively communicating the absolute truth of the Gospel message, especially as Christian apologetics (defense of the faith) become important in evangelization. For example, in witnessing to Jehovah’s Witnesses and Muslims, a Christian insistence on Jesus being born on December 25th or having said celebration on that date as somehow central to the Gospel message becomes a sticky issue of raising the dogma of man above the revelation of God.

I still prefer to follow the Reformed tradition of discounting Christmas celebration, even though most final holdouts of Baptist and Presbyterian congregations now enthusiastically embrace Christmas. As I’ve earlier indicated, from a Biblical/Messianic perspective I find the celebrating Jesus’ birth in conjunction with the Feast of Tabernacles (September/October) holds promise with matters of Biblical origins/focus. However, I don’t find it disproportionally out-of-keeping with God’s will to entertain research into the exact date of Jesus’ birth. In studying various theories about just when Jesus was born, if I had to give an educated guess as to a likely date, I’d pick somewhere between April 15-17 in 4-5 BC. I just wouldn’t make a whole official litany out of leaning that way. :hug:

RJ Mac
Jun 2nd 2008, 10:04 PM
Isa.55:8 - My thoughts are not your thoughts,
not are you ways my ways, declares the Lord.

Men celebrate birthdays, we are instructed by God to celebrate His death.

1Cor.11:23-25 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you
that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread and
when He had given thanks, He broke and said,
"This is My body, which is for you, do this in remembrance of Me.
In the same way He took the cup also after supper saying
"This cup is the new covenant in My blood, do this as often as you drink it in remembrance of Me."
For as often as you eat the bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the
Lord's death until He comes.

Ac.20:7; On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread....
1Cor.16:2; On the first day of every week let each of you put aside....

The first century church did not celebrate Jesus birth, she obeyed His command
and celebrated His death, every Sunday, not once a year, nor once a month but once a week.

Sad how far from the truth men have wandered.

Heb.2:1 For this reason we must pay close attention to what we have heard
so that we do not drift away from it.

RJ Mac