PDA

View Full Version : What is the official Christian standpoint on Vegetarianism...

benedict
May 9th 2008, 09:05 PM
of late i've had trouble eating meat - it just doesn't seem right or fair when there's so many other options.

...discuss

karenoka27
May 9th 2008, 09:12 PM
First of all Hi! I haven't seen you around here in awhile...welcome back.

There are a few vegetarians on the board..I'm sure they will be here soon.
As for me? I prefer veggies over meat, but I'm married to a meatcutter/butcher so red meat runs through my veins..my father was one too!

As far as what does God think of Christians eating meat? He's ok with it.
Romans 14:5-6-" One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God."

DanDMan64
May 9th 2008, 09:34 PM
I think it's great! :thumbsup: , ....said he, after wiping-off the barbecue sauce around his mouth left by the the pork barbecue ribs he had for lunch! :lol:

Tanya~
May 9th 2008, 09:36 PM
From a Biblical perspective, you have the freedom to make your own choice with regard to what you eat and don't eat. It's another story when you try to impose your own views about vegetarianism onto others, or preach that it's evil to eat meat or something like that.

Rom 14:1-4
Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3 Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
NKJV

This is about kosher/vs. non-kosher meat, not necessarily meat in general, but the principle applies -- these things aren't what is at issue. Here is what is (highlighted in purple, but the whole passage applies):

Rom 14:14-21

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.

19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.
NKJV

little_tigress
May 9th 2008, 10:05 PM
to each his own. going by the above verses already provided, i don't have any problem with vegetarianism/veganism personally. I don't think its mandatory by any means since the Bible is clear that the animals are here for us, to care for, to enjoy and yes to eat, but at the same time i don't believe there's anything wrong with choosing to go vegetarian/vegan as long as you understand everyone else has freedom to choose whichever diet they want :)

tango
May 9th 2008, 11:43 PM
of late i've had trouble eating meat - it just doesn't seem right or fair when there's so many other options.

...discuss

The story of the prodigal son shows the father having the fatted calf brought and killed (I've listed one verse here, you can read the rest if you're interested):

Luk 15:23 And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry;

So it's clearly not forbidden. But it's not mandatory either. I enjoy a good steak but wouldn't force my views on someone else. Paul is quite clear about this in his letter to the Colossians (the emphasis is mine):

Col 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

RJ Mac
May 9th 2008, 11:47 PM
A few thoughts on vegetarianism - that's what we were created to be Gen.1:29,30
But sin came in, the rain came down, we were given permission to BBQ Gen.9:3;
But those who practiced vegetarianism propheted greatly Dan.1:12-17;
Paul says give thanks and enjoy what has been given to you, 1Tim.4:3-5
No I'm not a vegetarian but the way things are going I think many of us will be soon.

RJ Mac

benedict
May 9th 2008, 11:57 PM
A few thoughts on vegetarianism - that's what we were created to be Gen.1:29,30
But sin came in, the rain came down, we were given permission to BBQ Gen.9:3;
But those who practiced vegetarianism propheted greatly Dan.1:12-17;
Paul says give thanks and enjoy what has been given to you, 1Tim.4:3-5
No I'm not a vegetarian but the way things are going I think many of us will be soon.

RJ Maci'd agree with this. it's slowly dawning on people, i think, that the way we treat animals is utterly disgusting.

Teke
May 10th 2008, 01:47 AM

...discuss

Actually many early Christian writers supported vegan. They saw it as a return to the Paradise garden of Genesis, when man didn't eat meat. Meaning mans original state at creation. Christianity has encouraged this practice for mankind seeing it as spiritually good.

I myself fast from meat, and meat products (eggs, milk) at times. I learned to do so with the guidance and help of the church. :)

Eaglenester
May 10th 2008, 03:45 AM
funny how when Yahweh gave us meat to eat, He also shortened our lifespan :hmm:

brakelite
May 10th 2008, 05:58 AM
There is no biblical mandate on vegetarianism. There is however the request from Paul that we are to glorify God in our bodies. To me that means we are not to disrespect the bodies He has given us by abusing it.

daughter
May 10th 2008, 09:17 AM

...discuss
I'm vegan. One of the things that I had against Christianity for a long time was that some alleged Christians told my husband he was going to hell because he wouldn't eat meat. And since I've been Christian I've had one alleged Christian tell me that I'm rejecting God because I'm not accepting "all His good gifts."

But Jesus said that the Kingdom of heaven is not about what we eat, but about what comes out of us, and Paul says "let every man be convinced in his own mind". For me it would be a sin to eat meat. I'm judged by my conscience on these matters, not my meat eating neighbours. My meat eating friends are judged by their conscience, not mine.

So I am vegan, and that is how I choose to honour God, and other Christians I know are meat eaters, and they can honour God in their way. So long as you remember when you eat WHO is the giver of all food, and so long as you honour Him when you eat, then you're fine, whatever you choose to eat.

It's very important that Christians don't make the gospel about whatever their choice of diet is. Jesus said in John 17:3 "This is life eternal... that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou has sent." In other words, the Kingdom of Heaven is not attainable through any practise, such as vegetarianism, or any other form of works.

If your conscience tells you not to eat meat, follow your conscience. God will judge you by it in the end. If you become Christian, you will be God's servant, nobody else's... and again as Paul says, "who am I to judge another man's servant?" Christians should never try to impose their dietary preferences on anyone else.

Eaglenester
May 10th 2008, 01:03 PM
My wife and I are transitioning to raw vegetarians.

I've had zip support from christians.

I've been called "legalist" because of this - even though I've never said others ought to or should eat this way.

I've had some tell me that I must eat meat.

I've had some Scripturally ignorant christians say God commands us to eat meat.

It seems much of christianity is opposed to, or fears vegetarianism.
They will mock or make jokes.

They seem to equate it with new ageism or assume all vegaterians want to force it upon other.

I defend those that eat meat - Scripture records Messiah as eating fish.
I just wish more christians would show a common respect back at those that differ from them.

From Adam until Noah; all those that walked in obedience to Yahweh were vegetarians.

diffangle
May 10th 2008, 02:55 PM
i'd agree with this. it's slowly dawning on people, i think, that the way we treat animals is utterly disgusting.
This is very true... imo, our Creator shudders at the methods used today in modern husbandry(factory farms and slaughter houses). Not only is it very inhumane but all the antiobiotis,steroids, and pesticides they are drenched with are making people sick. Have you ever read the story of Daniel (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%201&version=9;)and how he and his men actually became stronger on a vegan diet verses the Kings men who ate a meat rich diet? Kindof cool. :) There is a Christian organization called Hallelujah Acres that is all about the vegan diet that's worth checking out, here's the link in case you're interested...

http://hacres.com/home/home.asp

Teke
May 10th 2008, 03:06 PM
The spiritually insightful saw man as becoming weaker, thus the need for meat.
However, the NT tells us that when we are weak He is strong. This is why, among other reasons, the Church has prescribed such fasts as that of meat.

Each person must do what they are able to do. I can't leave all and go into the desert for Christ, but I can keep a fast. I can't be celibate because I'm married, but I can keep a fast. Where I lack in the things I've mentioned, others maintain. This is why Christianity is a verifiable truth. Because it is in action to be known and done.:)

I'm not a 7DA.

daughter
May 10th 2008, 06:58 PM
It does sadden me though that there are people on both ends of the dietary spectrum who make an almost salvific issue of it.

I hope the OP realises that there are vegan and veggie Chrisitians out there, and that this shouldn't be an issue to Christians.

ServantofTruth
May 10th 2008, 07:16 PM
Add me to the Christian vegetarian list. I find it hard that the bible allows meat eating, but it does me good - why - because it teaches me that God's will is important not mine.
However i agree that the ways meat and fish are mass produced can not please our Lord. Or the fact that is it 14lbs of grain gets fed to animals to produce every 1lb of meat? How many starving people could that save if we all became vegetarian?
I find it extremely differcult especially because we were created perfectly, to be vegetarians, Genesis 1:29 & 30 is also interesting. Animals were also vegetarians! If you watch a wild life film and someone says it is natural for a lion to bring down its prey, sorry that is plain wrong!
Love Servant of Truth.

Revinius
May 11th 2008, 07:36 AM
Meat is yum.

Romans 14:1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
" 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will confess to God.' "
12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. 14As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. 15If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. 16Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. 17For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.
19Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.
22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

JIML
May 13th 2008, 02:15 AM

...discuss

If you want to be a vegetarian, I say go for it!!! But first make sure you know what you're doing, you know a lot of the stuff that is found in the meat/fish cannot be found in vegetables. I think its actually a serious issue when people mess around with their diets and then few years later they are diagnosed with cancer. So like I said, you wanna be vegetarian, get your research done first.

Tanya~
May 13th 2008, 04:17 AM
The OP has been answered well, now if the Christians would like to discuss the issue further, please start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

Thanks!