PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of the Biblical resurrections?

Heeves23
May 12th 2008, 03:43 AM
I was wondering. I do believe that when a person dies they either go to heaven or hell, but with that in mind, why would God resurrect someone on the day of judgment only to cast them back into hell. Or vice versa. Why would he judge someone who is in heaven only to send them back to heaven? This question has puzzled me for quite some time. I mean some people believe that when you die you don't go anywhere and just lay their unconcious and then thats why God has to resurrect them and judge them and then they are either cast down to hell or lifted up to heaven. Now that makes sense to me but it also makes sense to me that people go to heaven or hell immediately after death(Lazures and the rich man). So yeah for those of you who think that you go to heaven or hell upon death, then isn't God judging you at that very moment? So why would he bring you up out of hell, then judge you, only to cast you back into hell. Could it be that right now people are in Hades, and then they are cast into the more tormenting "lake of fire?" But i mean yeah i am looking for an explanation for this complex. Your thoughts please

Buck shot
May 12th 2008, 03:57 AM
Rev 20:11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Yes, when we die we do either go to be with the Lord or we go to Hell. There is no in between or other options. It will either be Heaven or Hell. When this world has ran it's course there will be a judgement.

The dead are brought forth for judgement before God. Those that's names are not found in the book of life will be cast into the "lake of fire" as you mentioned. This will be their second death.

Those whose names are written in the Book can move to the next chapter in Rev where John describes what he saw in the new city :pp

Heeves23
May 12th 2008, 04:04 AM
yeah I see what the Bible says, i mean from that i take it that people are officially judged at a later time, then when they die.

My heart's Desire
May 12th 2008, 04:19 AM
I would imagine so that those who have rejected God will meet the God they have rejected. Plus He doesn't judge those in heaven according to salvation but according to their works they have done in Christ. Only those in Christ can do works that are good. It will be for rewards.
As sinners in a sense we have already been judged in Adam and the sentence was death.

Roelof
May 13th 2008, 07:45 AM
And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment, (Heb 9:27)

ProDeo
May 13th 2008, 09:44 AM
I was wondering. I do believe that when a person dies they either go to heaven or hell, but with that in mind, why would God resurrect someone on the day of judgment only to cast them back into hell. Or vice versa. Why would he judge someone who is in heaven only to send them back to heaven? This question has puzzled me for quite some time. I mean some people believe that when you die you don't go anywhere and just lay their unconcious and then thats why God has to resurrect them and judge them and then they are either cast down to hell or lifted up to heaven. Now that makes sense to me but it also makes sense to me that people go to heaven or hell immediately after death(Lazures and the rich man). So yeah for those of you who think that you go to heaven or hell upon death, then isn't God judging you at that very moment? So why would he bring you up out of hell, then judge you, only to cast you back into hell. Could it be that right now people are in Hades, and then they are cast into the more tormenting "lake of fire?" But i mean yeah i am looking for an explanation for this complex. Your thoughts please

You are actually asking why there are 2 judgements. A metaphor perhaps can help. When the police suspects someone of a crime that person is imprisoned till the date of his/her (public!) trial.

Ed

Naphal
May 13th 2008, 10:03 AM
yeah I see what the Bible says, i mean from that i take it that people are officially judged at a later time, then when they die.

Yes, souls are judged a final time on the great day of judgement in Rev 20.

Heeves23
May 13th 2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah I never thought about another reason for God to judge them is to meet the God that they rejected. It seems that could be another reason for it.

Naphal
May 13th 2008, 10:45 PM
Yeah I never thought about another reason for God to judge them is to meet the God that they rejected. It seems that could be another reason for it.

Well it will be essentially the first time they will actually see God the Father because you can't see him and live when human but on this day no one will be in the human body.

2Witnesses
May 14th 2008, 07:23 AM

Hi Heeves,

Man was created a triune being. He was created with a body. And the redemption of All things has been the promise. And the resurrection of the body is the conclusion of the promise to overcome death.

But in terms of the judgement, those dead apart from Christ also receive a resurrection, but it is to confirm they have received the fruit of sin to its fullest.

2Witnesses

Br. Barnabas
May 14th 2008, 04:36 PM
I would first like to point out that after the resurrection people do not go back to heaven, they dwell with God on the new earth.

Other then that there is another idea as to what happens when we die but most protestants don't like it so I will not talk about it. But I believe it solves most of the problems that you have come upon.

Buck shot
May 14th 2008, 04:45 PM
I would first like to point out that after the resurrection people do not go back to heaven, they dwell with God on the new earth.

Other then that there is another idea as to what happens when we die but most protestants don't like it so I will not talk about it. But I believe it solves most of the problems that you have come upon.
While you are pointing out where you feel we will be I would like to post where God said we would be.:rolleyes:

1 Thessalonians 4: 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Br. Barnabas
May 14th 2008, 06:56 PM
While you are pointing out where you feel we will be I would like to post where God said we would be.:rolleyes:

1 Thessalonians 4: 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Revelation 21 - 22:6

1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
6He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
9One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb." 10And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
15The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17He measured its wall and it was 14 4 cubits thick, by man's measurement, which the angel was using. 18The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald, 20the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst. 21The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass. 22I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.

22:1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever. 6The angel said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place."

We will be on the new earth after all is said and done.

The Thessalonians passage does not say that we will stay in the air with the Lord. What Paul is discribing there is what would happen when a judge or other offical would come into town. The people who liked the judge or offical would go out of the city to greet him and then follow him back into the town. We go up and meet Christ in the air but then we come back down to witness the Judgment of the living and the resurrected and are judged ourselves.

Why have a new earth and a new Jerusalem if everyone is just going to be in heaven? St John does not believe that people will be in heaven we will live in the New Jerusalem with God. He will finally come back to his city and his Temple and taken the place that he left so long ago.

Buck shot
May 14th 2008, 08:33 PM
Revelation 21 - 22:6

We will be on the new earth after all is said and done.

The Thessalonians passage does not say that we will stay in the air with the Lord. .
<H4>I'm not typing bold on purpose. Seems to be a glitch and the text won't unbold? :B

I do not disagree with you about the new earth being where we end up. What i don't agree with is that we do not go to heaven first.

Where do you think we will be when all of this is destroyed? Where do you think judgement will take place? Where do you think you will be during this thousand year reign? Surely you do not think that it has already happened or you will not die within the next 1,000 years.
Revelation 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season. 4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

</H4>

Heeves23
May 15th 2008, 04:19 AM
I always thought that we would be able to go between both heaven and the new earth. Because a new heaven is being created, so it makes sense that we would be able to go to it.

Br. Barnabas
May 15th 2008, 01:08 PM
<H4>I'm not typing bold on purpose. Seems to be a glitch and the text won't unbold? :B

I do not disagree with you about the new earth being where we end up. What i don't agree with is that we do not go to heaven first.

Where do you think we will be when all of this is destroyed? Where do you think judgement will take place? Where do you think you will be during this thousand year reign? Surely you do not think that it has already happened or you will not die within the next 1,000 years.

</H4>

No I am saying that possibly only some people will be in heaven before the judgment those who are counted as worthy for it. I am also saying that heaven is not our home, we are not to look to heaven to be the end. The resurrection is the end for us. As N. T. Wright says, "it is not about 'life-after-death,' but life after 'life-after-death.'" In other words it is all well and fine to say that some people go to heaven after they die but that is not the end.

Br. Barnabas
May 15th 2008, 01:12 PM
I always thought that we would be able to go between both heaven and the new earth. Because a new heaven is being created, so it makes sense that we would be able to go to it.

Well what is heaven? Is it more then just the place where God dwells? If it is the place where God dwells and regins in fullness then the new Jerusalem would become heaven. Before I could answer the question we would have to define some terms the main one being what is 'heaven?'

Heeves23
May 17th 2008, 01:34 AM
yeah since God is going to dwell in the new Jerusalem then yeah i don't know what will be in heaven. But all i know is that in revelation it says that "i saw a new heaven and a new earth, since the old heaven and earth had passed away." So if God is dwelling with us on the new earth, then yeah i dont know what the difference will be as opposed to heaven.

My heart's Desire
May 17th 2008, 02:31 AM
No I am saying that possibly only some people will be in heaven before the judgment those who are counted as worthy for it. I am also saying that heaven is not our home, we are not to look to heaven to be the end. The resurrection is the end for us. As N. T. Wright says, "it is not about 'life-after-death,' but life after 'life-after-death.'" In other words it is all well and fine to say that some people go to heaven after they die but that is not the end.
The only ones who will ever be worthy to be anywhere with God the Father are the ones who have put their trust and faith in the Lord Jesus. They are not worthy on their own but I know you know that. :) And you know whatever happens after this world and worldly things end, I believe we can never even begin to imagine where we'll be, what we'll be. I think it will be something none of us can even come close to imagineing! Praise God! Not the end, but just the beginning!

RogerW
May 17th 2008, 02:49 AM

Greetings Heeves,

There are two resurrections. The first resurrection is our spiritual resurrection when we are born again. When we are born again we receive life in the Spirit through Christ.

Paul is not writing to a corpse (physically dead). He is writing to those who were spiritually dead in trespasses and sins. Those who had once walked according to the course and power of this world, who were once children of disobedience. BUT, God Who is rich in mercy and love has made alive together with Christ, and has raised up together with Him. In the fullness of time He will show the exceeding riches of His grace through Christ Jesus when our bodies are resurrected immortal and incorruptible. This passage speaks of the first resurrection which is spiritual.

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved
Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

We are resurrected spiritually when we hear the voice of the Lord through the faithful proclamation of the gospel, and pass from spiritual death to life everlasting.

Joh 10:3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

When those who have been born again physically die they are immediately in the presence of the Lord spiritually, but their bodies, like all who physically die, goes into the grave. Our physical bodies return to the dust, but our spirit returns to the Lord who gave it.

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Ec 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

This Psalm tells us the man [soul] who dies full of troubles goes down to the grave where he is remembered no more. If we are never born again, we are among those who go to the grave without having been resurrected to spiritual life, to await the Judgment at the last day.

Ps 88:3 For [B]my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
Ps 88:4 I am counted with them that go down into the pit: I am as a man that hath no strength:
Ps 88:5 Free among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom thou rememberest no more: and they are cut off from thy hand.

In the second resurrection, at the coming of Christ all in the graves; e.g. physical bodies, are resurrected. At the last trump those who have done good (in Christ) will be resurrected a glorious incorruptible, immortal body when death will be no more. But those who have practiced evil to Judgment and eternal torment.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Compare those resurrected for Judgment. Since none of them had part in the first resurrection, they are Judged according to their works and resurrected to receive the second death; e.g. the lake of fire.

Re 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Re 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Re 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Re 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Hell has been translated from these Greek words Geenna which is defined as the place of everlasting punishment. Hades which is defined as unseen, the place of departed souls, the grave. Tartaroo which is defined as (the deepest abyss of Hades) to incarcerate in eternal torment - cast down to hell. When one goes to the grave (hell) in unbelief it is the same as being cast into everlasting punishment because after death there is no longer any hope of being resurrected to spiritual life in Christ. Even though going to the grave (hell) in unbelief is depicted as being in a place of eternal torment, suffering in the eternal flames in the lake of fire will not happen until the Judgment Day.

Many Blessings,
RW

matthew94
May 17th 2008, 05:34 AM
Believers in heaven are disembodied spirits (though they may have been given some temporary bodies). They are experiencing 'life after death,' but they are really looking forward to 'life AFTER life after death.' They want their bodies back. Resurrection is pivitol in Christian theology. Believers don't come from heaven, get resurrected, and then go back to heaven. They are waiting in heaven to get their bodies back at which point they will come down to the New Earth to live forever with God (living with God is, though, 'heaven' by definition).

Unbelievers do not go from 'hell' to 'resurrection' and back to 'hell.' The Bible isn't very clear about what happens to unbelievers between their death and judgment day. Some (like you, apparently) believe they are in conscious torment (usually this is based on the rich man and lazarus story in Luke 15). Others think they are in an unconscious state (the grave). If the former, it is, indeed, a little odd that their conscious torment would be disrupted just so that they could be sent to more conscious torment (though some legitimate reasons why this would be have been offered in this thread). If the latter, however, the reason seems clear enough.

RogerW
May 17th 2008, 12:35 PM
Unbelievers do not go from 'hell' to 'resurrection' and back to 'hell.' The Bible isn't very clear about what happens to unbelievers between their death and judgment day. Some (like you, apparently) believe they are in conscious torment (usually this is based on the rich man and lazarus story in Luke 15). Others think they are in an unconscious state (the grave). If the former, it is, indeed, a little odd that their conscious torment would be disrupted just so that they could be sent to more conscious torment (though some legitimate reasons why this would be have been offered in this thread). If the latter, however, the reason seems clear enough.

Greetings,

I'm not sure whether or not your reply is directed to my reply? I would agree that unbelievers do not go from "hell" i.e. the unseen place of departed souls/hades; the grave to resurrection back to hell/hades (the same place of departed souls; the grave). When the bodies of unbelievers are resurrected for the Judgment they are cast into the lake of fire, where their worm does not die and they are ingulfed by the eternal flames.

I believe the story of Lazarus and the rich man depicts a place (grave; Abraham's bosom) of departed souls prior to the cross. Before Christ came to defeat death, all those who died in faith did not receive the promise of heaven until after Christ went there to prepare a place for them. So Abraham's bosom is defined as the place where these departed saints waited for fulfillment of the promise.

The place of torment that held the rich man, i.e. hell/grave (hades), though depicted as a place of suffering, simply describes the fate that will befall all who die in unbelief. Those who go to the grave (hades) in unbelief will suffer eternally in the fullness of time when they are cast into the lake of fire and burning. I believe this is the point the story of Lazarus and the rich man makes when speaking of those who die in unbelief.

Blessings,
RW

matthew94
May 17th 2008, 02:56 PM
Nope, I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the opening poster in general. God bless :)

Heeves23
May 20th 2008, 06:24 AM
If the rich man and Lazures story is "literally" true then it shows that unbelievers who die are in torment long before Judgment day. So they aren't in the lake of fire yet so maybe thats one of the points of resurrecting them, is to judge them and then throw them into the lake of fire, which i assume is even worse than where the rich man is(since he is able to talk in torment).

Buck shot
May 20th 2008, 05:08 PM
If the rich man and Lazures story is "literally" true then it shows that unbelievers who die are in torment long before Judgment day. So they aren't in the lake of fire yet so maybe thats one of the points of resurrecting them, is to judge them and then throw them into the lake of fire, which i assume is even worse than where the rich man is(since he is able to talk in torment).

You mention the rich man being able to talk. This makes me think of the outer darkness that Jesus told of in the parable in Matt 22.

Matt 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

This lets me know that where the unsaved were in Luke 15 is not the lake of fire they will one day be cast into.

I have had several folks try to say this proves that the fire is not real because it would not be dark in a fire. I was a volunteer fireman for 10 years here in Texas and I am a witness that the hottest part of the fire is not just dark but is pitch black! I was helping with an industrial fire where the reflective tape melted from my fire retardant gear and I can tell you it was darkness like you cannot image. The feeling of being alone was almost unbearable even though I knew there were others on the hose with me but I could not see them or hear them over the sound of the flames that I could not see.

Teke
May 21st 2008, 01:45 AM

With the general resurrection and judgment (physical) there is also transfiguration. Our mortal bodies are transfigured into what, in reality, they are.

"Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the Kingdom of their Father" (Mt. 13:43)

"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" (1 Cor 15:53)