PDA

View Full Version : Vegeterian

Eaglenester
May 13th 2008, 08:15 PM
How about all the vegetarians, vegans, and those working towards this eating lifestyle sharing the whys.

Why are you a or becoming a vegetarian?

How long?

To what level (vegan, raw, eggs-y/n, honey-y/n ect)

What some of your struggles and victories are.

Maybe this way the meat eaters can better understand being a veggie, and we can also encourage one another.

Eaglenester
May 13th 2008, 08:29 PM
My wife and myself, are working towards becoming mainly raw vegetarian.

It is mainly because of health issues ourselves.
My wife is much over weight, diabetic, with high blood pressure.
I suffer from eczema and acid reflux (my dad died from this - burned a hole in his throat so stomach acid would aspirate into his lungs)

We don't want to go the drug (pharmakeia) route.
We both feel ALOT better when we eat raw.

JIML
May 13th 2008, 11:02 PM
My wife and myself, are working towards becoming mainly raw vegetarian.

It is mainly because of health issues ourselves.
My wife is much over weight, diabetic, with high blood pressure.
I suffer from eczema and acid reflux (my dad died from this - burned a hole in his throat so stomach acid would aspirate into his lungs)

We don't want to go the drug (pharmakeia) route.
We both feel ALOT better when we eat raw.

The only advice I have is this - DO NOT WATCH "SUPER SIZE ME"!!! That movie is supposed to turn you away from fast food, but I started craving that stuff like crazy.

JordanW
May 14th 2008, 12:38 AM
I quit eating McDonald's for a few months after I watched Super Size Me.

I need to go on a diet or something, but it's kind of hard to do after I quit smoking, so I'm just going to have to deal with this little bit of weight gain I'm going to suffer from.

Saved!
May 14th 2008, 10:48 PM
Ummm...where to begin.

I grew up in the "country." I had meat at nearly every meal. I had never even known a vegetarian, and folks that did thought they were odd.

When I was a teenager I had a tough time eating meat. The thought of eating an animal's flesh bothered me. It just started to seem "gross." At first I stopped eating cube steak because of the texture, next no more roast...I could see large veins. Next, the dark vein streaks in chicken caused me to give it up...and little by little I couldn't stomach the thought of any meat that wasn't processed to an unrecognizable substance...except for fish.

I was eating a hotdog when pregnant with my son, 17 years ago, and thought of what it must be made of...and there went the processed meats.

I ate fish until my son was 5. We were in a restaurant, I was eating flounder when my son mentioned that fact that "fish have families too" and that was the end of any meat eating!

I still eat eggs and dairy products. I LOVE cheese!

I find eating out really difficult. As a vegetarian, my choices are soooo limited. I get sick to death of folks suggesting I'd like this or that restaurant because "they have a good salad." If vegetarians ate salad only we die out very soon!!! Plus, who wants to spend a ton on a salad we can make at home?

I want pasta, breakfast foods, great vegetable dishes, wonderful breads, etc. But, most places cater to the meat and potatoes crowd...and not us "weirdos!"

I am 5'2" and usually stay at around 100lbs....although I have a tremdous sweet-tooth and that alone causes me to still have to watch my weight!

But, I feel like a million bucks and I will turn 40 this year. I have more energy than a 3rd grader.

After all these years I still remember the taste of all meats...most especially pork...I miss the taste, and wish I could have that flavor with out the meat.

I have a husband that is a hunter...and he and my son are meat-eaters and I cook meat almost everynight.

I usually have to make two meals, one with and one without meat.

Being a vegetarian is tough, and still considered "odd" where I live. Most folks still think I could just give it up if I just wanted to. I have heard of those that have. But, the thought of eating meat now repulses me to the point that I know that even if I managed to swallow it, it wouldn't stay down.

It is not a lifestyle for just anyone. But, I truly feel that it is a great choice healthwise...and I rarely have digestive issues. I feel like I could live forever!

diffangle
May 14th 2008, 11:01 PM
After all these years I still remember the taste of all meats...most especially pork...I miss the taste, and wish I could have that flavor with out the meat.

I have a husband that is a hunter...and he and my son are meat-eaters and I cook meat almost everynight.

I usually have to make two meals, one with and one without meat.

Did you see the thread I posted last night? http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=125392

They really do make some good mock meats... including sausage. Granted that stuff is considered vegan junk food but it's at least a alternative to eating the real thing.:)

karenoka27
May 14th 2008, 11:01 PM
I stopped eating meat for about a year..just veggies and pasta and eggs I was eating..well tofu as well..I didn't mind it.
Problem is my husband is a butcher/meat cutter and was always bringing home meat. He got kind of frustrated by me not eating it. I grew up with my father being a butcher as well. I really could care less about red meat and could do without it for the rest of my life. The only thing I craved when I was eating my veggies? hot dogs! To this day, I could eat a hot dog every day. I don't know why.

diffangle
May 14th 2008, 11:06 PM
How about all the vegetarians, vegans, and those working towards this eating lifestyle sharing the whys.

I became vegan for health reasons at first, then as I learned more about the ethical and environmental aspects it became just as much of a reason for me to stick with it.

How long?

Close to 5 years now.

Vegan... mostly raw... not 100%.

I really haven't struggled too much since I live in a city that is very veggie friendly so I have many choices when eating out. My victories have been healing from some health problems(extreme pms cramps, IBS, joint pain) and more energy.

Maybe this way the meat eaters can better understand being a veggie, and we can also encourage one another.

Good idea. :hug:

diffangle
May 14th 2008, 11:09 PM
I stopped eating meat for about a year..just veggies and pasta and eggs I was eating..well tofu as well..I didn't mind it.
Problem is my husband is a butcher/meat cutter and was always bringing home meat. He got kind of frustrated by me not eating it. I grew up with my father being a butcher as well. I really could care less about red meat and could do without it for the rest of my life. The only thing I craved when I was eating my veggies? hot dogs! To this day, I could eat a hot dog every day. I don't know why.
Did you ever try Tofu Pups? :D

http://www.lightlife.com/images/structure/ourproducts/detail/tofupups.jpg

h2jo
May 14th 2008, 11:28 PM
My husband has athritis in his hips and we have had to change our diet. I've actually really appreciated the change for health reasons. If he eats to much beef he tends to feel 'clogged' up and pork makes us both sick. Lamb is probably the only red meat we eat now.. so we really aren't prober vegetarians :lol:

I can't stomach the thought of McDonalds anymore and most fast food resturants leave me feeling disgusting.. so we don't eat much take away unless we know someone who has worked in the kicthen and can vouch that they use fresh foods and are hygienic :rolleyes:

I tried Tofu once and even writing this is giving me the urge to run to the toilet and spew.. I stay clear away from the stuff (I tried it when I first fell pregnant, so maybe that's why I can't handle the stuff!)

Saved!
May 16th 2008, 09:36 PM
Morning Star has a burger called Grillers that, to me, came close to tasting like a true grilled hamburger (meat-eaters would disagree), but enough time had gone by that I felt like it was close enough.

What I especially liked was the fact that I could actually enjoy a cookout with folks when I grilled one of these. Unfortunately...they did seem too much like the real thing. In no time I found myself unable to stomach them either. Obviously I am a vegetarian thru-and-thru!

ViolaSnapdragon
May 17th 2008, 02:42 AM

It is a long story that boils down to that my grandparents butchered a cow I loved and fed part of him to me without an explanation until after I ate the burger. It was entirely personal and was strictly limited to no flesh, until I began learning about how bad the factory farms are and so I just gave up eggs and dairy as well. I still ate eggs for awhile that were given to me by family friends who had chickens for pets, but after one no longer had chickens and the other drifted off that stopped and I will not eat eggs at all regardless of where they come from because I have lost the taste for them and gotten into the habit of using other things for binders in recipes.

How long?

Vegetarian since I was fifteen(I'm almost 25 now), and vegan since my ex-husband and I divorced.

No flesh, eggs, dairy, honey, leather, wool, fur, silk, animal tested cosmetics or household cleaners, and medication is a last resort.

My biggest struggle was trying to become and stay a vegan during my first marriage because my then husband was very controlling and abusive and demanding I not be vegan was another way to upset me. After we divorced due to his adultery I was able to start taking steps and the gifted eggs were the last things I let go of.

Over the years I also had to deal with lack of support from extended family and from boyfriends(before my first marriage) who made fun of me or tried to get me to eat meat.

What a nice idea. :)

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 03:57 AM
My husband has athritis in his hips and we have had to change our diet. I've actually really appreciated the change for health reasons. If he eats to much beef he tends to feel 'clogged' up and pork makes us both sick. Lamb is probably the only red meat we eat now.. so we really aren't prober vegetarians :lol:

I can't stomach the thought of McDonalds anymore and most fast food resturants leave me feeling disgusting.. so we don't eat much take away unless we know someone who has worked in the kicthen and can vouch that they use fresh foods and are hygienic :rolleyes:

I tried Tofu once and even writing this is giving me the urge to run to the toilet and spew.. I stay clear away from the stuff (I tried it when I first fell pregnant, so maybe that's why I can't handle the stuff!)

Eating meat causes uric acid to build up in your system, which affects the joints in a bad way.
So weening off the meat should help his arthritis.

Most people that don't like tofu is because of the texture thing.
My wife doesn't like it but I do (fresh is different than packaged).
I make tofucream - soft silken tofu in a food processor with fresh strawberries and bannas (little bit of honey) and freeze.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 04:06 AM
Did you ever try Tofu Pups? :D

http://www.lightlife.com/images/structure/ourproducts/detail/tofupups.jpg

I have, but been awhile.
We are trying to stay away from processed foods, even if it is vegan.

We are making some earth boxes this weekend so we can start our own containerized garden, and have fresh veggies year round (inside with grow lights come the long winter)
We can't have a real garden - up @ 8500 ft, in the woods, with all kinds of 4 legged wildlife (elk, rabbit, squirrel, turkey ect) and we just had snow Wed.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 04:09 AM
Morning Star has a burger called Grillers that, to me, came close to tasting like a true grilled hamburger (meat-eaters would disagree), but enough time had gone by that I felt like it was close enough.

What I especially liked was the fact that I could actually enjoy a cookout with folks when I grilled one of these. Unfortunately...they did seem too much like the real thing. In no time I found myself unable to stomach them either. Obviously I am a vegetarian thru-and-thru!

When I was a truck driver, I use to by the different types of veggie-burgers (the pre-cooked ones) and have them cold on bagels with sprouts and other veggies instead of eating at truck stops.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 04:13 AM

Trying to be a vegetarian while married to a butcher - that would be a struggle and a thorn in a relationship for sure.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 04:20 AM
I quit eating McDonald's for a few months after I watched Super Size Me.

I need to go on a diet or something, but it's kind of hard to do after I quit smoking, so I'm just going to have to deal with this little bit of weight gain I'm going to suffer from.

What I would suggest is not trying to go on a diet, but reducing the processed foods (breads, prepared foods ect) and incrementally increasing the fresh fruits and veggies you eat.

That way you are not trying to make drastic changes, which trust me, can be overwhelming and a source of struggle.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 04:27 AM
It is a long story that boils down to that my grandparents butchered a cow I loved and fed part of him to me without an explanation until after I ate the burger. It was entirely personal and was strictly limited to no flesh, until I began learning about how bad the factory farms are and so I just gave up eggs and dairy as well. I still ate eggs for awhile that were given to me by family friends who had chickens for pets, but after one no longer had chickens and the other drifted off that stopped and I will not eat eggs at all regardless of where they come from because I have lost the taste for them and gotten into the habit of using other things for binders in recipes.

Vegetarian since I was fifteen(I'm almost 25 now), and vegan since my ex-husband and I divorced.

No flesh, eggs, dairy, honey, leather, wool, fur, silk, animal tested cosmetics or household cleaners, and medication is a last resort.

My biggest struggle was trying to become and stay a vegan during my first marriage because my then husband was very controlling and abusive and demanding I not be vegan was another way to upset me. After we divorced due to his adultery I was able to start taking steps and the gifted eggs were the last things I let go of.

Over the years I also had to deal with lack of support from extended family and from boyfriends(before my first marriage) who made fun of me or tried to get me to eat meat.

What a nice idea. :)

Are you remarried now (you talk about 1st husband) if so is he a vegan also?

Do you now have any around you that support you as a vegan?

A majority of christians aren't very comfortable with the concept of vegetarians, many manifest this by making jokes or poking fun.

But this thread shows there is a growing interest in vegetarianism among believers.

Ashley274
May 17th 2008, 04:47 AM
I am a meat eater but respect the people who do not eat meat or animal products...I eat McDonalds a lot ..well daily and do not supersize anything ....I am healthy and just had a physical my lipids are LOW I think it depends on what one orders and I avoid buns and processed foods like BREAD ..I throw the buns out. They have good salads now too very big ones..Beware the fries, they use to add beef broth to the oil to cook them in..I am not sure if they finally complied and took it out or not but to all who do not eat ANY animals stuff avoid their fries till you know

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 05:04 AM
I am a meat eater but respect the people who do not eat meat or animal products...I eat McDonalds a lot ..well daily and do not supersize anything ....I am healthy and just had a physical my lipids are LOW I think it depends on what one orders and I avoid buns and processed foods like BREAD ..I throw the buns out. They have good salads now too very big ones..Beware the fries, they use to add beef broth to the oil to cook them in..I am not sure if they finally complied and took it out or not but to all who do not eat ANY animals stuff avoid their fries till you know

I appreciate that you respect vegetarians - a hearty THANK YOU.

I actually view processed foods like bread and such, worse for ones health than meats.

From what I recall, McDs took the meat stuff off the fries.

Ashley274
May 17th 2008, 05:19 AM
Yo Eagle I hope they did from what I recall and that was way back I think people sued MCD over the beef in the grease. I would have been mad I mean if someone abstains from meat or animal products or maybe is allergic should they not be told? MCD kind of hid it....I am also with you on processed foods I do not eat ANY refined sugar ANY and hardly any refined flour ..I have been doing that for years and my blood tests always amaze the docs :lol: esp with the fat and protein consumption they expect the opposite.....I am a huge animal lover so I really respect you all :hug:

This weekend I hope to get my garden in all organic

daughter
May 17th 2008, 09:37 AM
Lady Amalthea ... my first marriage was like that. My ex husband wasn't physically abusive, but he was so angry when I became vegan. We were on a very limited budget, and he "managed" the money. So I'd buy food that I could eat... then he'd eat it all, and there would be nothing left for me to eat! In the end I would just buy food I knew he couldn't stand. There I was, pregnant, living on baked potatoes, mustard, salad, raw mushrooms, baked beans and bananas... how my son ended up so very BIG I have no idea!

I'm vegan because I grew up on farms, and saw how the animals were treated. I wouldn't do that to them, so I won't accept it for anyone else to do it on my behalf - that would make me more guilty than them, since I'm the one being moved not to hurt the animals.

diffangle
May 17th 2008, 02:31 PM
I have, but been awhile.
We are trying to stay away from processed foods, even if it is vegan.

That's good to avoid processed foods, even if they are vegan... just b/c something is vegan doesn't mean it's healthy. Like I mentioned, the faux meats are considered vegan junk food, but at least they're an alternative to those craving meat but not wanting to eat the real thing. I'll eat them every once in a blue moon. :)

We are making some earth boxes this weekend so we can start our own containerized garden, and have fresh veggies year round (inside with grow lights come the long winter)
We can't have a real garden - up @ 8500 ft, in the woods, with all kinds of 4 legged wildlife (elk, rabbit, squirrel, turkey ect) and we just had snow Wed.

That'll be awesome Eaglenester. What are you going to plant? I've been planting as many veggies and fruit trees as I can squeeze into my little sunny patches on my lot.

diffangle
May 17th 2008, 02:49 PM
Check out this family they interviewed on the national news the other night, they grow nothing but edible plants on their city lot, it's really neat...

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/

daughter
May 17th 2008, 02:54 PM
Here's a recipe for you all, which my son made for our tea. It could be "raw" I think... I'll let Eaglenester experiment. :)

One cup of organic carrot juice
one cup freshly squeezed orange juice
one cup of veggie stock
simmered slowly with ginger and garlic
Stir in a bit of vegan cream, or thicken with a bit of mashed potatoes, cornflour... what ever your favourite "bulker" is...
Coriander to dress on top.

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 02:58 PM
Like I mentioned, the faux meats are considered vegan junk food, but at least they're an alternative to those craving meat but not wanting to eat the real thing. I'll eat them every once in a blue moon. :)

Agreed, they are a good transition food, and a good alternative when the choices are limited.

That'll be awesome Eaglenester. What are you going to plant? I've been planting as many veggies and fruit trees as I can squeeze into my little sunny patches on my lot.

The gamet - tomatoes, peppers, cukes, bok choy, eggplant, radishes, strawberries, different greens and herbs, zucchini, melons, summer squash.

Are you familiar with earth boxes?
They are containers that self water with a reservoir you fill.
They can be used inside or outside.

You can buy them, but we found plans online to make them using rubbermaid type storage boxes - cheap to make, and makes growing veggies an easy reality for anybody.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Eaglenester
May 17th 2008, 03:10 PM
Check out this family they interviewed on the national news the other night, they grow nothing but edible plants on their city lot, it's really neat...

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/

AWESOME

:idea:

ViolaSnapdragon
May 17th 2008, 03:51 PM
Are you remarried now (you talk about 1st husband) if so is he a vegan also?

Yes, I am remarried and no he is not a vegan but he is wanting to become one. He has given up everything except chicken and beef ramen which is comfort food for him. We're trying to find him a new comfort food.

Do you now have any around you that support you as a vegan?

My parents and my in-laws are pretty supportive, though not all of them think it is a good idea. My MIL is especially supportive and really went out of her way to make sure I had plenty to eat the first night I came there for dinner while her son and I were still just dating. Though she is a meat and potatoes person herself she kept asking when her son was going to join me, heh. My best friend just yesterday asked me to go to a natural foods store with her and giver her a brief lesson on vegetarian eating. My mom supports my decision to not eat meat because she thinks it is good for my mental health but thinks veganism is pushing it.

A majority of christians aren't very comfortable with the concept of vegetarians, many manifest this by making jokes or poking fun.

But this thread shows there is a growing interest in vegetarianism among believers.

There's actually an organization for Christian vegetarians that I am sort of interested in.

Lady Amalthea ... my first marriage was like that. My ex husband wasn't physically abusive, but he was so angry when I became vegan. We were on a very limited budget, and he "managed" the money. So I'd buy food that I could eat... then he'd eat it all, and there would be nothing left for me to eat! In the end I would just buy food I knew he couldn't stand. There I was, pregnant, living on baked potatoes, mustard, salad, raw mushrooms, baked beans and bananas... how my son ended up so very BIG I have no idea!

Wow, I am sorry you had to go through that.

daughter
May 17th 2008, 03:59 PM
In a way I'm glad. I survived it, it didn't do my son any harm, and my ex has grown up a lot since then. He might not have grown up if he hadn't realised eventually what he put my son and I through. He actually went vegan for a few years, when my son was old enough to ask him one dinner time, "Daddy, don't you think the baby sheep needed that leg more than you do?"

But after we broke up he went back to his original eating habits. At least now he appreciates the value of veganism though, and provides good food for our son when he visits. Our son is very healthy, highly intelligent, and moral. I think the morality has been informed by the fact that he grew up thinking about what he eats. Sadly my son worries a lot about his Dad, especially since his stepDad died. His natural father is at least four stone overweight... I do attribute this to his diet, all the weight came on when he went back to the standard Western diet. Because he's six foot five he has a huge appetite, and he'd always thought it would be impossible for him to gain weight.

diffangle
May 17th 2008, 05:43 PM
[quote=Eaglenester;1642339]The gamet - tomatoes, peppers, cukes, bok choy, eggplant, radishes, strawberries, different greens and herbs, zucchini, melons, summer squash.

Nice. :) I planted all those except for strawberries. I also planted banana peppers and okra, I hope they do okay, my plants this season seem to be taking their sweet time getting going. I think I might get figs this year for the first time since I planted the tree over 3 years ago.:pray:

Are you familiar with earth boxes?
They are containers that self water with a reservoir you fill.
They can be used inside or outside.

I've heard of them, one of my clients has them out at his ranch, but I've not used them myself. I just do a slightly raised bed with no siding, we rarely freeze where I'm at so I don't have to worry too much about protecting them from freezes.

You can buy them, but we found plans online to make them using rubbermaid type storage boxes - cheap to make, and makes growing veggies an easy reality for anybody.

http://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf

Great, thanks for the link, I'll check it out. :)

David Taylor
Mar 6th 2009, 05:30 PM
(thread closed as per...Slug1)
As the OP has changed his status to Non-Christian and can no longer participate in this thread, as per Slug1 the thread is now closed.

Thanks to all who have participated!