PDA

View Full Version : Woman 8 months pregnant and homeless - help

Moon
May 17th 2008, 07:34 PM
A really nice woman I am trying to help, is 8 months pregnant and homeless. She has no place to live, has been sleeping in a tent in the woods in Southern California at eight months pregnant, and is desperately looking for a place to stay before her baby is born, otherwise social services is going to take her son away and put him up for adoption, and she'll be separated from her son forever, simply because of lack of money.

She desperatley needs prayer and any help that anyone can think of. Please pray for a kind person to open up their home and heart to her, and give her a safe place to stay, so that she can give birth and care for her newborn for his first few months of life. Please pray that somehow she'll get the finances she needs to rent a place to stay.

Seeing this woman walk around my town, being so heavy with child, can't help but remind me of Mary being told there was no room at the inn. I think of it every time I see her.

The interesting thing about this woman, is that she has great Faith. Anytime I talk to her, she says that she's concerned about the situation, but knows God will help her and is working on this problem and she's just continuing to believe.

I felt directly led to post here. And, I've been a member on these boards a long time (2 years, regular posting). If there's anything anyone can do to help this woman, or any church in Southern California that can help her, please contact me. I don't have the finances to help her myself.

~Moon

WtheWildthingsR
May 17th 2008, 07:47 PM
Alot of areas have shelters for pregnant women, if that area does not, you could look at a nearby state. Another thing is if she is young enough, Job corps in some states have facitiies for single parents, but they do test for drugs and have no tolerance for any messing around in that area.

We helped a person like this once, she was an alcoholic, she gave us her child and willingly went right back to her life of homelessness and alcoholism. All the winter camping equipment we gave her was sold right away and used to buy more alcohol. All she kept was the winter boots and coat.

Moon
May 17th 2008, 07:52 PM
She's not a drug addict or an alcoholic. Just a woman who's had some unfortunate things happen in a short course of time. Regardless that the woman you helped went back to her old ways, in my belief you still did the right thing by showing her such help and compassion. You never know when that seed of kindness will take root in someone's life somewhere down the road.

~Moon

Jesusinmyheart
May 17th 2008, 08:08 PM
Got some thoughts, check your PM

Shalom,
Tanja

WtheWildthingsR
May 17th 2008, 08:18 PM
She's not a drug addict or an alcoholic. Just a woman who's had some unfortunate things happen in a short course of time. Regardless that the woman you helped went back to her old ways, in my belief you still did the right thing by showing her such help and compassion. You never know when that seed of kindness will take root in someone's life somewhere down the road.

~Moon

O absolutly, I agree :D

Jesusinmyheart
May 17th 2008, 08:42 PM
I'll certainly add my prayers. I can't imagine being on the streets in this kind of stage.

However, i also can't fathom that Child welfare would be so crude as to just take her child without making her any offers of remedying her situation.
I mean, that's real nice, telling a person like that "get off the streets, or we'll take your kid." Instead they should counsel her on her options,.... i'm not sure to what extend that has been done?

If she was willing to travel i could at least temporary give her a place to stay.

Shalom,
Tanja

WtheWildthingsR
May 17th 2008, 08:45 PM
Sometimes there is no houseing help to a Mom until she has the baby.

Jesusinmyheart
May 17th 2008, 09:17 PM
You're probably right about Tomorrow. I have no clue because i've never been in that situation.

I realize she won't have funds to travel, but i'd see what i could work out for her. Has she no relatives?

Shalom,
Tanja

Moon
May 17th 2008, 10:10 PM
Her mother died when she was 19, and her dad when she was 25. (She's in her 30's now). I'll check my pm's, Tanja.

~Moon

karenoka27
May 17th 2008, 10:30 PM
I'll be praying for her as well. Is there a local church she can go to that might be able to offer some kind of help? Praying for the baby as well.

cnw
May 17th 2008, 11:29 PM
There is no law that states that her baby can be taken away unless she is on drugs or has a past consistent mental health issue. I think you better do some research, this woman may be taking you. Just make sure it is valid. There are many homeless in Ca and the shelters are astounding and outstanding. Don't mean to be so negative or questioning and I think it is great you are trying to help this woman, but please check out the local laws.

moonglow
May 18th 2008, 12:56 AM
Sadly there are women and children living on the streets, homeless. They had a big news story a while back about a lady having her baby while homeless and she planned on raising him on the streets...now in her case she wanted to be homeless and not improve her situation and I think CPS stepped in but not sure if they did anything or not. I will keep her in my prayers on this for sure! I think if she goes to the hospital when she goes in labor social services will help her find a place after the baby is born. She just may not be aware of what is out there to help her. I would call SRS and see if they can direct you to other places that could help her. Meanwhile I will be praying for her and the baby!

God bless

wiseteacher
May 18th 2008, 11:37 AM
I will be praying for her and for her baby. God will provide a way when there is no way. She and that precious baby are God's children, and He will take care of them. All of us need to agree in prayer, believing that a home will be found for them.:pray:

Montre1
May 18th 2008, 02:35 PM
I would accept her into my home if she wants to relocate to Wisconsin.

Moon
May 18th 2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you, everyone. And that's incredible generous of you, Miepie. I'm looking into everything. I did find a place called Elizabeth House, that is a resource and group home for homeless pregnant women in Los Angeles. When I called though, they said that they had no openings, but to call back on Monday to talk to the executive director.

If she could get in there, it seems like a really good place.

In terms of the laws in California, social services can take a baby if they feel the child is in danger, or being ill-cared for by its parent. Living in a tent poverty stricken with little food and no clean water, may qualify as neglect and abuse in their eyes, so I do think her fears are valid.

My other opinion is that this woman is not trying to take anybody, or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. She's eight months pregnant and living in a tent. You can't really fake that. So, regardless of whatever got her in her situation, it's a real situation and she needs help.

Pray that Elizabeth House will find an opening for her in their program. I'll post tomorrow after I talk to them again.

Thank you for all your prayers, and advice, and open hearts.

~Moon

moonglow
May 18th 2008, 08:52 PM
I will be praying she can get into this home!

It seems like she could get into some kind of a homeless shelter...but I realize this is a big city she is in and its probably different there. My sisters daughter is in a homeless shelter now and has been for probably more then a month now. She is not pregnant...she is bipolar and won't stay on her meds so acts up and loses her jobs and get kicked out of where ever she is living. She has slept in her car before in the winter time and didn't seem to be bothered by it. :( At any rate my point is, she has been able to get into a homeless shelter and isn't pregnant..I would think this lady would be able to get into some kind of shelter...but as I said, I realize things might be different in large cities like this.

God bless

Ashley274
May 19th 2008, 02:39 AM
:pray:I am praying for her and just PMed you

Roelof
May 20th 2008, 08:26 AM
moon

I am in South Africa, so I can only pray for this woman:

Father, I pray to you for this woman:
He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall trust. His truth shall be your shield, and buckler. (Psa 91:4)
In the Name of Jesus, Amen.

Moon
May 21st 2008, 04:02 AM
Hi, I wanted to post an update for everyone:

The Elizabeth House turned her down, saying they had no vacancies (i.e. no room at the inn) they gave me the number of another place in Orange County called Precious Life Shelter, but they also told me they couldn't take her because they had no room.

I even called Catholic social services and the Church of Latter Day Saints just to get her off the streets as she's due in three weeks. Nothing. No one could help.

The lady at Elizabeth House told me that if she could manage to have her baby alone, once she has it she would qualify for Family Shelters and transitional housing in Los Angeles, but she said that, yes, child welfare could take the baby at the hospital if they had reason to believe she couldn't provide a safe, healthy environment for the newborn.

I told all of this to her, and she found a midwife today who will deliver the baby in her home. She's going to look into getting on the list for family housing, but it's a tricky thing until AFTER she has the child.

Please pray for her. Thank you to all the people who offered to open up their homes, but yet were too far away for her to travel to at this late stage. I'm still believing God that a solution will be provided.

~Moon

Ashley274
May 21st 2008, 04:19 AM
Jeeze what a sad world that nobody in all these organizations can take her in.... I am still praying for her and her kids :pray:

vinsight4u8
May 24th 2008, 10:38 PM
Have you contacted TBN -Trinity Broadcasting
Network?

Maybe tell them about the situatlion on their prayerline number and see what places they may know of.

daughter
May 25th 2008, 09:25 AM
This is terrible. I'm praying... I read this hoping for a positive outcome!

Oh Lord, please bless this woman, and provide her with a home. Allow her to raise her own child. Amen.

Moon
May 26th 2008, 10:59 PM
I thought I'd add this update: My community is FINALLY organizing a fund-raising for her, June 29th. It's going to be after the baby is born (she's due June 21st), but at least this should bring in some money for her to be able to rent a place.

I'll post more when I know.

Thanks for all your concerns and keep praying that she has a safe delivery, that the baby is healthy, and that she will soon find a place to call home.

Jesusinmyheart
May 26th 2008, 11:07 PM
Hello, don't think i just dropped out.
I've been keeping tabs on this, and read the updates.
I'm glad something is being done. :hug:

It seems that some people just can't stand to look at the poor or less fortunate, as if they are an eyesore.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Shalom,
Tanja

Moon
May 29th 2008, 01:40 AM
Another update: Places for rent in my town are turning her down, because no one wants to share a home with a crying baby. Please pray that someone will open their heart to her and her newborn.

She looked at three rooms for rent so far, and no one will rent to her. (A townsperson pledged to front her some money, as a loan against the money she'll pull in from the fund raiser, so at least now she can get in somewhere and has some funds).

But, for now, she's due in three weeks and is still living in a tent, which I think is horrible.

~Moon

moonglow
May 29th 2008, 02:15 AM
Is there anyway she can stay with you until she finds a place? I don't know how you know about her...if you know her personally and she is in your area, or if you just heard about her through church or through others. Is that a possibility she stay with you until she finds a place?

God bless

Ashley274
May 29th 2008, 02:26 AM
:pray::pray::pray: I am praying someone opens their heart and door to her and her children

servantsheart
May 29th 2008, 02:44 AM
Is there anyway she can stay with you until she finds a place? I don't know how you know about her...if you know her personally and she is in your area, or if you just heard about her through church or through others. Is that a possibility she stay with you until she finds a place?

God bless
Hi moonglow, I was wondering if you know if she has enough education to get a job...I mean would any one offer her a job now that she can start working after she has her baby so she can show S.S. that she can afford to keep the baby? If she can show proof of employment and provide housing then maybe they would leave her alone.
Does she have any family who would come to get her as soon as she has the baby?
This is beyond sad. To think our world can not provide her shelter when she has carried her baby this long and is living alone in the woods. I am praying for God to have some who will open their home to her. Even if it is just one room. Just one room, Lord. Bring someone forward who has been thinking on this but too afraid to step forward. Give them courage to do what is right. To love their neighbor. To shelter and protect this mother to be and her baby. Keep filling her with your hope, Lord. Keep her strong and healthy and allow her baby to be born well and healthy too. Praying this in Christ Jesus' name. Amen
Thank you moonglow for your caring heart and your prayers for this lady.What a blessing you have been to her.

Moon
Jun 18th 2008, 03:15 PM
Hi (my user name is "Moon", by the way. Moonglow is another poster). But, I wanted to post an update, that unfortunately just keeps making this story worse...

The child was born on Saturday with Down's Syndrome. The baby (it's a boy) also has congential heart defects. Mother and child are still both in the hospital, and I've been told she went through a horrendeous delivery where they had to do an emergency C-section after 48 hours of labor, without anestesia! I haven't seen the mother, but I've also been told she's been suffering with terrible nightmares since the surgery happened.

I can't imagine being in that much pain. No anestesia during a C-section.

She is still homeless, but the Mormon church (after ALL my calls to EVERYONE) is the only church that stepped in. I am deeply grateful that someone stepped in in this terible situation.

They are trying to help her with their own LDS social services and are going to provide financial resources and food so she can have a place immediately when she leaves the hospital. The bishop has gone to visit her every day. And they have four of their members looking to rent her a place now with the church's funds. They are the only church that helped. I'm shocked and dismayed at the level of uncaring and neglect from the other churches in my area, including my own.

Please pray for this woman. Having a Down's Syndrome child in the best of circumstances (a spouse to help with the difficult journey, a safe home, financial means) is still a difficult turn in life. To cope without any of these things, all alone, on top of homelessess and now traumatic pain issues is so overwhelming to even think about.

Pray that she doesn't lose her hope or faith, and that God keeps her head about water as she walks through this terrible trial. Pray for this woman, who could be any of us, if we had had a different background and different bad circumstances come our way in life. Pray that people will help her get where she needs to be, so she can be all she was made to be, in God.

I am deeply grateful for the bishop of the Mormon church in Los Angeles. He is the only one who cared enough to help.

~Moon

threebigrocks
Jun 18th 2008, 03:23 PM
This absolutely breaks my heart for this woman physically and spiritually, where not a single person of the faith reached out as they should have months ago. I pray dearly for this woman and her child but moreso for the body of Christ. :cry:

moonglow
Jun 19th 2008, 02:24 PM
This absolutely breaks my heart for this woman physically and spiritually, where not a single person of the faith reached out as they should have months ago. I pray dearly for this woman and her child but moreso for the body of Christ. :cry:

Me too! :cry::cry:

I'll keep praying for and the baby! What an awful experience to go through...

God bless

Seeker of truth
Jun 19th 2008, 03:01 PM
I will be praying for this woman and her child :pray: :pray: :pray:

daughter
Jun 19th 2008, 04:28 PM
Oh Lord God, that is terrible. The poor woman... she must be suffering so much right now. I had post traumatic stress problems after childbirth... but my delivery wasn't anything like as bad as hers. What torment she must be under. And what an indictment of Christians that it was a Mormon who came to help her.

Please, carry on letting us know what's happening. I'm in the UK, and I have nothing I can offer to support her other than my prayers. I pray also that her faith is not shipwrecked by all this horror she has had to endure.

SethElijah
Jun 19th 2008, 04:57 PM
An emergency c-section is bad enough, I had one, but without anesthesia??? Oh my, I just cannot imagine. Praying here.

Colo25
Jun 19th 2008, 09:38 PM
first Ive seen this thread...how awful.
Ill pray for her and the baby. :pray:
ysic,
Colo

Befaithful
Jun 20th 2008, 02:07 AM
This whole situation breaks my heart, I am having a hard time taking it all in.

I do not understand most of it and why no anesthesia?

I am so thankful this body of Mormons opened their arms out to her and embraced her and are rallying to meet her needs.

Where is the body of Christ? :dunno::cry::cry:

praying for the momma and baby:pray:

Redneck Charger
Jun 20th 2008, 09:04 AM
Please Lord, Hear my prayers for this homeless Lady who is pregnant.. She needs your help.. Please open up someone's doors to help her.. She is a believer and needs more of our prayers to help her.. Please Lord hear my prayers..:pray:

Moon
Sep 11th 2008, 04:09 AM
Just another update on this post, to say that mother and child were taken in by a Mormon family back in June, after the baby's birth, and are both doing really well. The family has gone the extra mile to include her and the baby in the home, and to mirror for her how to care for a newborn infant.

The Mormons stepped in, when no one else did. I called ALL the churches in my area, regardless of denomination, and they were the ONLY ones who offered help. I was saddened by this, but very thankful that she and the baby got the help she so desperatley needed.

Thank you for all for your prayers.

~Moon

Ravenwspr
Sep 11th 2008, 05:15 AM
Its encouraging that God found someone to use, seriously, we are supposed to be known for our love for eachother ...

livingwaters
Sep 11th 2008, 11:26 PM
:pray::pray:ing for this woman, her child and their circumstances...This is why the churches are not drawing folks in...when the community needs them, where are they???!!!

Lord, please for Your glory, Father touch this woman and her child..Let her see for herself how much of a loving God you are. Somethings we can't understand, but YOU know the end from the beginning. Lord, this little child has already started out on a bad note, so, Father, I pray that your goodness and mercy shine through for her and child. I pray all these things in Jesus' name.Amen:pray::pray:

White Spider
Sep 12th 2008, 10:25 PM
Glad to see she found a place, it's sad there wasn't a rush to help. "Love grown cold."

:pray::pray: