PDA

View Full Version : To Fear the Lord?

Iirata
May 23rd 2008, 04:27 AM
OK so this has been confusing me for a while. I see it all the time in the bible like "To fear the Lord is to love the Lord" and stuff like that.

What is it really to fear him?

I don't know, I just don't get it. Why should we? I mean God is my buddy, my father, hes always there, forgiving ext. Whats to fear in that?

DeadToSelf
May 23rd 2008, 04:39 AM
Well in order to fear the LORD you must know the concept of sin. Which is, one sin is enough to send you to hell!!!

Only one sin.

That I why I believe that Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of GOD." Is an often misquoted statement because people do not fully grasp the scripture. Nor do I but I try.

But anyways, aside from CHRIST JESUS the only thing we have in GOD is HIS full wrath because that is all that we can attain through our own merit.

Isaiah 64:6 "all of our deeds are like a filthy garmet."

All that we do goes as filthy rags before the LORD.

So we should fear the LORD and worship HIM in reverence because HE Lawfully can send each and every single one of us to hell.

Also keep in mind

Romans 9:20
"On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to GOD? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?"

GOD can mold us however HE sees fit to HIS will. So if HE wanted to HE could justfully harden our hearts towards HIM and send us right to hell. Therefore, fear the LORD for HE created all that is good and holy. The heavens and all that is good in the earth. HE can destroy the earth and all those who are here.

But it is through CHRIST JESUS that we are made right with HIM and that we ourselves are justified before our Father who is in heaven.

But if HE wanted to HE could send us all to hell justfully. As I said above.

ARCHER42
May 23rd 2008, 04:53 AM
It's a Reverent Fear ... its a fear out of Revrence for Him.... For Who He is.... Understanding Who He is.. His Character... His Glory.. His Goodness.. His Holiness.. His Soverignty.... His Mercy.. His Faithfullness... His Righteousness... understandng that it's Him that 'hold's all things up.. If it wasnt for Him we wouldnt exist.. this universe wouldnt exist... from the smallest atom to the largest elephant in Africa.

Its a revrent fear in understanding that He has no beginning and He has no end. He is from everlasting to everlasting.It's a Revrent Fear that if it wasn't for His Goodness and Mercy in Sending His Only Son to die a provisional Death on a tree... nobody would ever be in Heaven.. for we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.... all would be judged 'guilty' and damnation would follow.. Out of Revrent Fear ..we understand and come to the knowledge that God provided a WAY...

It's a Revrent Fear that when you are drawn to Him and forgiven that He 'forgets' all your past transgressions and 'never' remembers them again.. It's a Revrent Fear that makes you understand that when the above happens He 'clothes' you in His Son's Righteousness....and this is done by Grace... this bringing us to the conclusion and an understanding that should bring us into a Revrent Fear and Worship of Him.. and that is the fact that there is none good.. no not one... But God Himself.

The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom....

Iirata
May 23rd 2008, 04:53 AM
Mkay... I see
I was thinking something like that, the wrath of god thing.

But.. since we DO have Jesus, then shouldn't there be no reason to fear?? Cuz (not to call it out) but that means it won't happen now right?

I feel really clueless, work with me here haha

Iirata
May 23rd 2008, 04:58 AM
It's a Reverent Fear

Ohhhh, I see, ok that makes sense
Well dang! I don't remember seeing that anywhere haha
OK thanks :D

DeadToSelf
May 23rd 2008, 05:00 AM
Well it is fear of HIM because HE is LORD of all.

If he wanted to HE could cut you from the Body of CHRIST. Since HE molds all things to HIS will.

So if HE wanted to HE could send us to hell.

But HE does not becuase HE is LORD and loves us.

daughter
May 23rd 2008, 10:05 AM
I don't know what your family life was like... but when I was a kid I loved my Dad. (I still do.) I absolutely adored him... he was this amazing, mega cool wonderful, brave, sacrificial man who loved me, who worked twelve hours a day to feed me and my family, who sat and read me bed time stories no matter how tired he was, who kissed me better when I was sore, who'd defend me from bullies, who came home from work and sat up all night when I had a fever, who left sweets hidden around the house and clues so that I could search for them when he was at work. Wow, I loved (and love) my Dad.

When I was little, the thing that terrified me most was the idea of hurting my father. All my Mum ever had to say to me was, "I'll tell your Dad what you just did..." and I'd immediately repent! I was terrified that my wonderful Dad would be ashamed of me. I knew if I did wrong he would be angry with me, but more than that, I knew he would be disappointed. And I knew that in all that he'd still love me, even if I was unlovable to anyone else.

I feared my Dad... because I loved him.

That is how we fear our father in heaven.

NMKeith
May 23rd 2008, 02:09 PM
Mkay... I see
I was thinking something like that, the wrath of god thing.

But.. since we DO have Jesus, then shouldn't there be no reason to fear?? Cuz (not to call it out) but that means it won't happen now right?

I feel really clueless, work with me here haha

Phl 2:12 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Phl/Phl002.html#12) Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

We might have salvation through the shed Blood. But we must work it out through fear because we ALL fall short of God's glory. If you never sinned then you would have nothing to worry about. Have you studied the "sin unto death" this is a sin for believers only. That God cuts that belivers life short because of unrepented sin. 1 John 5:16 is one of the most difficult verses in the New Testament. “If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that.” Of all the interpretations out there, none seems to answer all the questions concerning this verse. This best interpretation may be found by comparing this verse to what happened to Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5:1-10 (see also 1 Corinthians 11:30). The “sin unto death” is deliberate, willful, continuous, unrepentant sin. God, in His grace, allows His children to sin without immediately punishing them. However, there comes a point when God will no longer allow a believer to continue in unrepentant sin. When this point is reached, God sometimes decides to punish a Christian, even to the point of taking his or her life.

That is what He did in Acts 5:1-10, and 1 Corinthians 11:28-32. This is perhaps what Paul described to the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 5:1-5. We are to pray for Christians who are sinning. However, there may come a time when God will no longer hear prayers for a sinning believer for whom He has determined that judgment is due. It is difficult to realize that there are times when it is just too late to pray for a person. God is good and just, and we will just have to let Him decide when it is too late and trust His judgment.

I hope this will help you grow and understand the fear of the Lord.. God Bless you..

Iirata
May 23rd 2008, 08:33 PM
Wow! Thanks so much for all the feedback :D

I guess I had somewhat of an idea of what it meant, just wasn't sure though... So yes, this has shined some light on my lil issue.

mikebr
May 23rd 2008, 08:49 PM
OK so this has been confusing me for a while. I see it all the time in the bible like "To fear the Lord is to love the Lord" and stuff like that.

What is it really to fear him?

I don't know, I just don't get it. Why should we? I mean God is my buddy, my father, hes always there, forgiving ext. Whats to fear in that?

I'm simply not afraid (Scared) of God anymore. Check out the number of times in the ot that people were afraid of God and fell on their faces only to be told to "Fear Not."

Someone said, can't remember, maybe Chesterton said that those who do not love God do well to fear him.