PDA

View Full Version : Why is the number 7 such a significant number in the bible?

Gentile
Jun 4th 2008, 05:35 PM
As I read the bible I mark where the number 7 is mentioned. I think I heard the number is mentioned 500 times in the bible?

Yukerboy
Jun 4th 2008, 05:41 PM
I just did a search at biblegateway.com

Seven or forms of it appear 562 in the KJV, 524 in the NIV...

Yuke

timmyb
Jun 4th 2008, 05:43 PM
seven is regarded as the number of completion...

just a side note 8 is the number of rebirth

JordanW
Jun 4th 2008, 05:48 PM
7 is a very significant number in the Bible, as is the number 3.

theleast
Jun 4th 2008, 05:51 PM
What about the number 12?

timmyb
Jun 4th 2008, 06:14 PM
number of government... the twelve pillars in heaven... the twelve thrones upon the apostles will sit judging the tribes of Israel...

crawfish
Jun 4th 2008, 06:54 PM
Numbers have special significance in the bible, beyond their literal meaning. 7 is the number of spiritual completeness. 40 is the number of ritual purification. Six is the number of man, the number of evil. Three is the number of divine perfection. One is the number of unity, as in "one god".

Sometimes, even combinations are used. Consider Moses' 120 years; he spent life in three separate stages (in Egypt, in the wilderness, leading the Israelites to the promised land), each stage took him into a new state of holiness - three stages (divine perfection), 40 years apiece. This simple number tells you worlds about Moses' place in God's divine plan.

threebigrocks
Jun 4th 2008, 07:09 PM
Simple answer: God is constant, never changing. He works in the familiar, although sometimes we miss much of it. ;)

merjorg
Jun 4th 2008, 07:50 PM
Heard a pastor talk about the number 7 once. He talked about how God made the heavens and the earth and then rested on the 7th day. Supposedly, apples have 7 seeds. There are 7 continents (or major land masses) on the earth, a woman's reproductive cycle is normally 28 days - 14 days of ovulation, 14 days of "whatever else happens" :lol:. I've even read that although most women vary in the length of their cycle, that it is almost always between 21 and 35 days. These numbers are all divisible by 7. Interesting stuff...

timmyb
Jun 4th 2008, 07:59 PM
interesting indeed

Ta-An
Jun 4th 2008, 08:03 PM
....7 is the number of spiritual completeness. or for perfection..... the fullness of completion , like 100%

dancedwithdolphin
Jun 5th 2008, 04:57 AM
I just recently heard a commentary about this subject.

The number three being the heavens (God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit). And the number four (the four corners of the earth- like in Zechariah where God sends out the four horsemen to roam the earth in all four directions). Then taking the two sets, which connect heaven with earth- and together making us complete; seven. (And perhaps then by resting on the Sabbath day it is to remind us that we need to be connected to God- and that one day we will).

Teke
Jun 5th 2008, 02:11 PM
As I read the bible I mark where the number 7 is mentioned. I think I heard the number is mentioned 500 times in the bible?

In Hebrew, the word for placing one under a sacred vow or oath relates to the word for seven. Don't bother looking in your Strongs Concordance for this info, it's not there.

I stumbled on this info when studying about a Christian prayer rope known as a chotki, which basically is a knotted rope used to pray with. A Jewish equivalent would be their phylacteries. The word "knot" basically relates of binding or loosing, which also relates to oath, vow or covenant, as well as to sign/symbol.

It's far to much to go into here, but if anyone is interested in further reading on the subject, the book is "The Knot in Hebrew Literature, or from the Knot to the Alphabet" by Solomon Gandz.
Great deal of meaning in a simple knot. :)

dan p
Aug 15th 2008, 10:31 PM
If you really want to see numbers, any book store can order Bullinger Number in Scripture and he really devles deep from the number one - 666 and combo of numbers 292 pages.

Bethshaya
Aug 15th 2008, 11:13 PM
If you really want to boggle your mind with the number seven, count the sevens just in revelation alone. Not the just number seven...but the number of times things are mentioned throughout that book...you guessed it, seven times.

The obvious Revelation sevens:
Seven Churches
Seven Spirits of God
Seven Golden Candlesticks
Seven Stars
Seven Angels
Seven Lamps of Fire
Seven backside Seals
Seven Horns
Seven Eyes
Seven Trumpets
Seven Thunders
Seven Heads
Seven Crowns
Seven Last Plagues ...
Seven Golden Vials
Seven Mountains
Seven Kings
Seven "Right Hands"
Seven things are "opened" in Revelation
Seven types of men "hid" themselves
Seven "Bottomless Pits"
Seven promises of the overcommer
Seven Beattitudes ("Blessed be those...." statements)
Seven features in chapter 1
Seven parathensis between chpt 12 and 13
Seven years of judgement
Seven "I Am" statements
Seven "new things"

talmidim
Aug 16th 2008, 07:27 AM
As I read the bible I mark where the number 7 is mentioned. I think I heard the number is mentioned 500 times in the bible?Hello Gentile,

There is an association in Hebrew, where seven is linked to the fulfillment of swearing. The Almighty is not slack in His choice of words. And David points out that, 'He has magnified His Word above all His Name.' Now there is something to meditate on before continuing.

Strong's is a concordance and not a lexicon in the classic sense. Nonetheless, it supplies a good basic grasp of the word 'seven' and it's uses and meanings.

The tri-literal root (Shin - Bet - Ayin) carries the three fundamental meanings of:
1) saba Fulfill, Satisfy or Complete
Strong’s H7649 שׂבע śâbêa‛ saw-bay'-ah
From H7646; satiated (in a pleasant or disagreeable sense): - full (of), satisfied (with).

2) sheba Seven
Strong’s H7651 שׁבעה שׁבע sheba‛ shib‛âh sheh'-bah, shib-aw'
From H7650; a primitive cardinal number; seven (as the sacred full one); also (adverbially) seven times; by implication a week; by extension an indefinite number: - (+ by) seven ([-fold], -s, [-teen, -teenth], -th, times). Compare H7658.

3) shaba Oath, Promise or Swearing
Strong’s H7650 שׁבע shâba‛ shaw-bah'
A primitive root; properly to be complete, but used only as a denominative from H7651; to seven oneself, that is, swear (as if by repeating a declaration seven times): - adjure, charge (by an oath, with an oath), feed to the full , take an oath, X straitly, (cause to, make to) swear.

These words are found associated throughout scripture and ancient Hebrew writings. There relationship is illustrated in their usage. For example, the reason for seven angels with seven final plagues is explained in terms of fullness in the book of the Revelation:
Rev 15.1 And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up (or fulfilled) the wrath of God.

Also we find how the number seven is related to 'sware' and 'covenant' exemplified in Genesis 21:29-32.
Gen 21:29 And Abimelech said unto Abraham, What mean these seven ewe lambs which thou hast set by themselves?
Gen 21:30 And he said, For these seven ewe lambs shalt thou take of my hand, that they may be a witness unto me, that I have digged this well.
Gen 21:31 Wherefore he called that place Beersheba; because there they sware both of them.
Gen 21:32 Thus they made a covenant at Beersheba:

Abimelech and Abraham were in 'conflict resolution' mode in these passages. And Abraham, in his answer to Abimelech, was not asking, but telling Abimelech to take those sheep from him. They were to be slaughtered. They were to be used in a blood covenant that basically said that by taking those sheep, Abimelech was swearing that the well was dug by Abraham and was his. Remember the covenant that the Almighty made with Abraham and they walked between the pieces of the sacrifiesed animals? It was like that. And the violation of the terms of a blood covenant basically says that the person wronged could do to the violator of the covenant, what they had done together to the sheep. That is, cut them up in pieces. So this was serious stuff.

And what is transliterated as Beersheba in the KJV, is actually the (well) [B]be’er of (swearing) shaba. Likewise throughout scripture, the swearings (covenants, promises, judgments, etc.) of our heavenly Father are fulfilled in His sevens.

You might want to Google 'blood covenant' and read the articles that relate to the ancient Semitic cultures for a fuller understanding of the practice. I hope this helps.

In His Love,
Phillip

valleybldr
Aug 16th 2008, 11:30 AM
There are plenty of good books regarding the use of numbers in Scripture. It is interesting to note that the Egyptians also "had a thing" for the number 7. todd