PDA

View Full Version : Practical Applications of Nephilim Debate

matthew94
Jun 4th 2008, 06:13 PM
The Genesis 6 debate comes up every so often. People obviously feel pretty passionate about it, but I've often wondered what practical (life changing) applications people draw from this passage. Instead of debating the passage itself, I'd be interested if people would just list the applications they make or have seen from the 2 leading theories

In my observation, those taking the view that the "sons of God" were human beings tend to take from the story that mankind was corrupted by compromise with the world. The story is a reminder of man's depravity, God's judgment, and the need for sexual purity. The emphasis goes, largely, toward God's judgment of man.

Also in my observation, those taking the view that the "sons of God" were fallen/falling angels tend to take from the story that the problem before the flood was what these angels did. And that, even after the flood, God was very concerned to have the Israelites wipe out these half-breeds. The emphasis goes, largely, toward God's judgment of spiritual beings.

I've even seen people make the claim that modern day Palestinians are descendants of the Nephilim. When we consider that this is often coupled with the idea that Nephilim become demons when they die, I find this to be a despicable and racist application.

Because of the context, I take the view that Genesis 6 is about human beings, not angelic beings. But this thread is not about the passage itself (the other thread is). This thread is about the applications of the passage. What applications does your view lead you to make? Do you see dangers in the applications that could be taken from the view you disagree with?

Literalist-Luke
Jun 5th 2008, 03:11 AM
Just in this one incident in Genesis 6 alone, there is nothing that would immediately impact our lives today that I can see. However, if you take it in context of the millennia-long conflict between God and Satan, it becomes a very informative piece of information. I’ll explain:

As I’m sure you’re already aware, Satan has been attempting throughout history to thwart God’s plan to redeem man and to eventually establish a Kingdom of the righteous, with Christ as its ruler. Satan has done everything he can come up with to mess up God’s efforts. He has attempted to annihilate the Jews, both before and after Christ’s birth, which would have made it impossible for God to fulfill His promises to them, he has attempted to murder Jesus Himself, such as when Herod tried to kill Him as a toddler when the Magi came. Satan has attempted to incite man to a rebellion that he thought would be irreconcilable when Adam & Eve ate the fruit, and his last attempt before the 2nd Coming will be to simultaneously try one more time to annihilate the Jews and also to get the entire world to worship him personally through the person of the Antichrist.

The way the Nephilim fit into this picture is that Satan was attempting to pollute the human gene pool before the “seed” of the woman (prophesied at Genesis 3:15) could be born. If Satan had succeeded at polluting the entire human gene pool, then it would have been impossible for God’s sacrificial Lamb of God to be born “without blemish”, which would have rendered Jesus ineligible to die for our sins. Satan apparently thought that if he could get God caught between the proverbial rock and hard place in this manner, that it would force God to surrender the throne and Satan would have been happy to step in for Him. Fortunately, the Genesis Flood put a stop to it before it was too late.

I hope this helps. :)

Zack702
Jun 5th 2008, 04:53 AM
For me I sometimes consider that the sons of God were angles Satan being one of them. Most everyone I share this view with disagrees with me(they do not even consider that God had sons other than Jesus). But if you read in Job chapter 1 verse 6 "Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them." Further in this book of Job it talks more about Satan in a way that shows him to be a council and a informer. He was sent out as a tempting spirit and as eyes with a particular point of view.

But I cannot follow many ideas about Satan for example in nowhere in genesis 3 (in my bible) does it say Satan did anything. It says the serpent beguiled Eve. I can see how this can be interpreted as the serpent is Satan but personally I do not follow that possibly some references will help me see that.

Whether or not they were the sons of God or the sons of The Angle of the Lord or whatever they were I think they had a major role in the happenings of the old testament. Which in turn play a major role in the shaping of the new testament and in turn plays a very major role in our current state.

Personally the words "sons of God" bring a lot of uncertain answers to a lot of the old testament happenings.

joztok
Jun 5th 2008, 02:36 PM
People who I am meeting who come out of the occult can't stand my fellow Christian's who 'demonise' everything. I'm still naive. But they know exactly what a demon is. Exactly what a spirit is and know exactly what angels are and can tell the difference between good and bad ones.

The way people from the occult describe demons are beings of power, might and great authority and intellect. That's why greek, babylonian and egyptian god's are so glorified in occults- they are recognised as being spirit and man.

We are to know the origins of such beings otherwise we will be mocked continually by these various religions because our understanding is very shallow and naive as we refuse to accept what the world, it's histories, it's activities and cultures already tell us about the spiritual world. Their views line up to scripture unfortunately.

And frankly, I would like to know what I am dealing with in the supernatural. If I'm commanded by God to deal with someone's issues and God says 'cast out this demon', I am not goin to treat it as common, I will get other Christians involved to overcome it's power and cunning.

We see in the New Testament some naive Christians try to cast out a demon without knowing what they were doing. The results were disastrous. If we can settle such biblical disputes about the origins of demons, we can feel more secure in overcoming them with God's word and authority.

This is an important topic to settle. We need to understand the spiritual world as best as possible so we can deal with the spiritual responsibility God has given us. (By no means should we seek to find spirits or demons to deal with- they are to come to us so that we may resist and free those that bind them when God gives the word. But we must know who we are dealing with.)

the rookie
Jun 5th 2008, 03:04 PM
To me the application is found in the statement Jesus made about "the days of Noah" and the social context of wickedness and depravity at the end of the age. How wicked will men become before the end? How far will men go? The answers, in part, are found in the days of Noah and a social context for depravity that is quite similar to the descriptive of the times in Rev. 9:21 related to the "big four" issues of the end of the age.

Confronting the truth about the depths of man's depravity subsequently reveals the beauty of Jesus in His leadership in both His kindness and His severity; the book of Revelation is not about how mad He is at humans; rather, it is about how bad humans are knit to God's necessary response. The issues of righteousness, holiness, justice, and mercy are all illuminated when we connect to the full implications of "the days of Noah" and the sudden judgment that is coming (and why).

Teke
Jun 5th 2008, 09:06 PM
The Genesis 6 debate comes up every so often. People obviously feel pretty passionate about it, but I've often wondered what practical (life changing) applications people draw from this passage. Instead of debating the passage itself, I'd be interested if people would just list the applications they make or have seen from the 2 leading theories

In my observation, those taking the view that the "sons of God" were human beings tend to take from the story that mankind was corrupted by compromise with the world. The story is a reminder of man's depravity, God's judgment, and the need for sexual purity. The emphasis goes, largely, toward God's judgment of man.

Also in my observation, those taking the view that the "sons of God" were fallen/falling angels tend to take from the story that the problem before the flood was what these angels did. And that, even after the flood, God was very concerned to have the Israelites wipe out these half-breeds. The emphasis goes, largely, toward God's judgment of spiritual beings.

I've even seen people make the claim that modern day Palestinians are descendants of the Nephilim. When we consider that this is often coupled with the idea that Nephilim become demons when they die, I find this to be a despicable and racist application.

Because of the context, I take the view that Genesis 6 is about human beings, not angelic beings. But this thread is not about the passage itself (the other thread is). This thread is about the applications of the passage. What applications does your view lead you to make? Do you see dangers in the applications that could be taken from the view you disagree with?

Hey Matthew.:)

Applications are usually derived from translation. My understanding of the nephilim is that they were human, from the line of Seth ("sons of God"), and took Cain's daughters ("daughters of men) to marry.
So, the application that my view leads me to is, not to commit spiritual adultery. In the NT it is said in not marrying unbelievers.

Here is some ancient text on them from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and their book "Conflict of Adam and Eve with Satan"

Conflict of Adam Book 3, chap. 4

"Certain wise men of old wrote concerning them, and say in their [sacred] books, that angels came down from heaven, and mingled with the daughters of Cain, who bare unto them these giants. But these [wise men] err in what they say. God forbid such a thing, that angels who are spirits, should be found committing sin with human beings. Never, that cannot be. And if such a thing were of the nature of angels, or Satans, that fell, they would not leave one woman on earth, undefiled... But many men say, that angels came down from heaven, and joined themselves to women, and had children by them. This cannot be true. But they were children of Seth, who were of the children of Adam, that dwelt on the mountain, high up, while they preserved their virginity, their innocence and their glory like angels; and were then called 'angels of God.' But when they transgressed and mingled with the children of Cain, and begat children, ill-informed men said, that angels had come down from heaven, and mingled with the daughters of men, who bare them giants."

I would think this would clarify some things. Other things are just a matter of translation. ie. giants (The Greek Septuagint renders this term gigantes, which actually means "earth-born." ). They were mighty men as well. And "nephilim" meaning "fallen one" can be deduced from the information provided on them (see above).