PDA

View Full Version : Matthew 10:8

Gulah Papyrus
Jun 5th 2008, 04:00 AM
In this verse it says that Jesus gave the deciples the power to raise the dead, so why were they so amazed at Jesus' resurrection? Why did Thomas still doubt even though Jesus had already sent him/them out to 'heal the sick, raise the dead...'

I have always had a hard time with this as well as the raising of Lazarus because it seems to take away from the miracle of Jesus' resurrection. Please explain how I am looking this wrong.

Thanks in advance.

dancedwithdolphin
Jun 5th 2008, 04:24 AM
I think perhaps it is because it is one thing to be a healer or raise someone from the dead; and another thing to die ones self and raise ones self from the dead. (I think we take that idea for granted, because we believe).

As far as Lazarus, well I believe Jesus waited on purpose those four days, so it would not seem so impossible for Jesus to say he would raise again in three days. He had told his disciples this: ...for your sake I am glad I wasnt there (when Lazarus was sick and died), because this will give you the opportunity to believe in me, ...

Gulah Papyrus
Jun 5th 2008, 05:00 AM
If someone gave me the power to raise the dead, I don't think I would find it unbelievable in the least that he could raise himself. In fact, I think I would assume he could.:hmm::confused

Zack702
Jun 5th 2008, 07:17 AM
I consider that they possibly had the ability to raise the newly dead who died of natural causes or from a disease.

I consider that Christ's resurrection was amazing because he had been crucified to which the wounds and cause of death are more serious.

Teke
Jun 5th 2008, 01:35 PM
In this verse it says that Jesus gave the deciples the power to raise the dead, so why were they so amazed at Jesus' resurrection? Why did Thomas still doubt even though Jesus had already sent him/them out to 'heal the sick, raise the dead...'

I have always had a hard time with this as well as the raising of Lazarus because it seems to take away from the miracle of Jesus' resurrection. Please explain how I am looking this wrong.

Thanks in advance.

The Jews were awaiting THE Prophet. They'd seen plenty of prophets in their lives and from their historical writings (ie. Elijah), that had raised the dead. So the miracle itself wasn't enough. But no prophet before Jesus Christ had raised themself, only others. There had to be a distinction for them to recognize Him from the other prophets before Him.

Gulah Papyrus
Jun 5th 2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you teke.

Teke
Jun 5th 2008, 03:42 PM
Thank you teke.

Your welcome. :hug:
There is a distinction to be made from all other prophets. Muslims need to see the distinction as well as Jews, both believe in prophets, but that is all they are to them. Whether it be Elijah or Mohammad, how do they think they are coming back, meaning by what power.;)