PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone, i am a searchning "atheist"

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 03:47 AM
Hey, My name is Anthony and i am 17.

I was born into a Christian family. I went to Church weekly as well as Youth Group Regularly. I also went to Christian Schools until high school. In the summer of 8th grade i started thinking about why i believe in God and the Bible, and i realized i really didnt know enough about the beliefs of Christianity and the Bible to call myself a Christian. I began searching and looking into many different faiths and beliefs other people have, as well as thought to myself. I am interested in learning more about Christianity and Jesus.

I think people should spend just as much time trying to disprove their faith as they do trying to prove it , Because i think an unevaluated faith isnt much of one at all.

I am really an open minded person, and joining this forum with the intention to learn(not argue or debate) about Christianity and eventually find out what i believe is true.

Ask questions and il answer,
Thanks everyone

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 03:58 AM
Hi and welcome to the board.

ok..what "do" you believe? Everyone believes in something..so I hope you will share what you have faith in?

You believe that when you breathe air you will go on living..yet you can't see the air you breathe. Faith is much like that.
Hebrews 11:1-"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

quiet dove
Jun 8th 2008, 03:59 AM
Hi Anthony, welcome to the board!! :)

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:07 AM
I believe thet theres some kind of higher being than humans. i just want to get an unbiased look at everything in the world. people in iraq wouldnt be blowing themselves up and killing people unless they were raised to believe that. we think thats horrible, and i think it is too but they think their doing right. i dont want to believe something cause thats what i was raised to, but because i truely feel it is right.

and you really dont have to believe in air to breath, its just there. i think faith is very different because there are so many different beliefs and theorys...and possibilitys we all have to consider

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:10 AM
and you really dont have to believe in air to breath, its just there. i think faith is very different because there are so many different beliefs and theorys...and possibilitys we all have to consider

God is also "there" whether you believe in Him or not. I do agree that you need to find the Lord yourself and not just accept it because someone else told you He was real. I think it is awesome that you are searching.
Let me ask you this? Do you have any spiritual beliefs of your own?

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:15 AM
God is also "there" whether you believe in Him or not. I do agree that you need to find the Lord yourself and not just accept it because someone else told you He was real. I think it is awesome that you are searching.
Let me ask you this? Do you have any spiritual beliefs of your own?

God isnt a Fact, like oxygen is...thats the difference i think.

as far as spiritual beliefs not really right now, i dont think i am ready to make that call to say what i believe...i dont really know enough about it...

my beliefs are
There is something of a higher power,
thats all im really for sure about right now, to what extent i am not sure

CoffeeCat
Jun 8th 2008, 04:21 AM
Welcome, Anthony. :) Hope you like these forums and learn a lot here.

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:27 AM

as far as spiritual beliefs not really right now, i dont think i am ready to make that call to say what i believe...i dont really know enough about it...

my beliefs are

Oxygen has to be a fact..or else it wouldn't exist? or would it? or does it?

I appreciate you answers very much..I'm only asking you questions because that is what you requested.

To you personally, who is Jesus Christ?

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:30 AM
To be honest thats what i am trying to find out...
im not sure who Jesus was

and i dont mind the questions :)

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:31 AM
I really appreciate your honesty..
Do you think there is a heaven or a hell?

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:34 AM
sorry to sound repetitive, but i am not sure.

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:35 AM
That is perfectly ok...How about this? If you died tonight, where would you go? Do you ever wonder about that?

SteelersFan
Jun 8th 2008, 04:42 AM

my beliefs are

I would tend to argue that God is indeed a FACT. When one studies Bible prophecy and all the things that have been foretold and fulfilled, there can only be conclusion. That there is indeed a God.

Things have been foretold and fulfilled in the past, present, and we have confidence in the future. No man can tell very specific prophecies and have them ALL be right. Only God can do that. Nostradamus can't even start to compare, because he was mostly wrong.

I understand that there is doubt with something you can't see, like if God peeked out of the sky and said here I am. But the Bible declares that if you seek him with all your heart, you shall find him. And you will see the hand of God in Bible prophecy if you keep searching. You won't learn everything about Bible prophecy overnight, but you will learn alot if you seek with an open heart that God is very much there in the background. He wants us to use faith in what we can't see. For that pleases him.

God bless you in your search. :)

RF

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:42 AM
my thoughts on that...
If the Bible is true and there is a hell and heaven i dont think God would allow me to die right now, cause i am sincerely searching.

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:45 AM
Then you do have a belief in a God because you trust that He would preserve your life until you found Him...that's cool...

Would it be ok if I shared some Scripture with you and you share with me what you think about each verse? We will just do one at a time?

SteelersFan
Jun 8th 2008, 04:47 AM
my thoughts on that...
If the Bible is true and there is a hell and heaven i dont think God would allow me to die right now, cause i am sincerely searching.

Well, I would say don't take the chance.

I'd make the choice for Christ and then while you are praying ask him to help show you what you can't currently see. If you are honest and truly searching, he will help you see what you can't see now. It might take some time, but you will definitely feel the leading of the HS. :)

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:48 AM
i have a belief that "if" God was real he wouldnt take my life while searching.

and yeah that would be great about sharing scripture

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:50 AM
Well, I would say don't take the chance.

I'd make the choice for Christ and then while you are praying ask him to help show you what you can't currently see. If you are honest and truly searching, he will help you see what you can't see now. It might take some time, but you will definitely feel the leading of the HS. :)

I want to have an unbiased look at religion and faith before I take that step.
I will pray about it and ask for guidance though

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 04:52 AM
Ok let's just say there "is" a God for the sake that you have come to search on a Christian message board. I'm just going to put some verses out there and ask you to just share with me what you think about the verse. Think about it, ok...Do you believe that there is a right and a wrong? Do you believe that people know when they are doing right from wrong? If so, the Bible calls this sin...and God says that we are all sinners.
Now you may have heard this before but bare with me as we go through this ok? Just think for yourself as to how you feel about:

Romans 3:23-""For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

amar1506
Jun 8th 2008, 04:56 AM
Ok let's just say there "is" a God for the sake that you have come to search on a Christian message board. I'm just going to put some verses out there and ask you to just share with me what you think about the verse. Think about it, ok...Do you believe that there is a right and a wrong? Do you believe that people know when they are doing right from wrong? If so, the Bible calls this sin...and God says that we are all sinners.
Now you may have heard this before but bare with me as we go through this ok? Just think for yourself as to how you feel about:

Romans 3:23-""For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

there is a right or wrong if Christianity is true.

Im not really sure how to respond to the verse. I understand what its saying.

SteelersFan
Jun 8th 2008, 05:05 AM
I want to have an unbiased look at religion and faith before I take that step.
I will pray about it and ask for guidance though

That sounds good. :)

Just keep in mind though that Christianity distinguishes itself from all other religions (outside of Judaism) in that it has Bible prophecy where real life world events where foretold before they happened. And that God has been doing this for 3,600 years to help you realize that he is who he says he is, and that you can trust him. :)

Here's a few links you can check out when you have time. The first one as about 100 or so prophecies, when they written, when fulfilled, who wrote it, etc. that can help you see that the Bible is indeed God's Word. Also, the second link has numerous good articles on Bible prophecy. I hope you will find them helpful in your search. They have helped me greatly. :)

God bless you.

http://www.aboutbibleprophecy.com/

http://www.gracethrufaith.com/ikvot

I've got to go for the evening. Take care. :)

karenoka27
Jun 8th 2008, 05:13 AM
there is a right or wrong whether or not you believe Christianity is true. Prisons are filled with people who did wrong. Have you ever been punished as a child..for doing something wrong? The Bible calls this sin.

The Only One who has never done anything wrong is God/Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 4:15-"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
Therefore if we have any hopes of there being a heaven then we have to understand that when we do something wrong, we do it against a Holy God.
If you disobey your parent's, you sinned against God..for He says,
Exodus 20:12.."Honour thy father and thy mother:..."

It is God who placed in our hearts to know the difference between right and wrong.

Romans 6:23-"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

When you leave this earth, you soul continues on whether it be in the presence of our God through Jesus Christ or in hell. It's really your choice.
The awesome thing about eternal life is that it is a free gift. Jesus Christ came to this earth to do what you couldn't do..pay for what you are guilty of ..sin..God the Father is the Judge. A criminal can't pay for his crime without paying the penalty..the penalty for us is death. Jesus Christ died on the cross as a criminal taking our place. He was the Only One that could satisfy God's Justice.

Jesus Christ made a way for us to have eternal life
John 14:6-""I Am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."

Now I know you may say, prove it..and I can only tell you that I believe that the Bible is truth. If it isn't, then where can you find truth?

JordanW
Jun 8th 2008, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the boards! I'm sure you will fit in here. :)

calidog
Jun 8th 2008, 08:04 AM
Hey, My name is Anthony and i am 17.

Welcome. I'm sure you're exactly who Jesus is looking to reveal Himself to.

Rev 3:15 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

Hope to be talking to you soon.

givemegrace
Jun 8th 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Anthony, good to have you here. God Bless you

genesisblu
Jun 8th 2008, 09:05 AM
Hi there-
Welcome! I am a newbie here as well. Although I am confident in my belief as a Christian I understand what you are feeling. I went through the same thing for many years after spending my entire young life being raised by a Christian mother and in church. I kind of mindlessly just did what I was told and "believed what I was supposed to" but I truly had no real understanding. My son is currently going through the same thing as you. He has much the same background as you minus going to a Christian school. My son now doubts what he once believed (or at least I thought he believed) because he was hurt by a church. A pastor in fact (not physically just emotionally). I asked him if he ever really "believed", he says not really, he just did what he was told. He unlike you is not searching right now though. :( I hope he will one day. God will reveal Himself to those who earnestly seek Him. The fact that you will pray and ask for guidance shows you at the very least hope and to some degree believe that He does exist. I don't know what exactly caused you to begin to doubt, for me it was not wanting to believe in a God that required me to be "perfect" or "good enough". I knew I would fail that miserably so I felt there was no hope. I was doomed to be in a lose/lose situation. So, I began to doubt whether there really even was a God. But I (like you, it sounds like) held at least a little belief that there had to be a God. I just had no idea who He really is.

I spent a lot of years being scared of God. After spending A LOT of years screwing up my life, I went searching. I was desperate to find something to "get me out of my messes". What I found is not "proof" but a logical reason (to me anyway) to have faith. Faith (a belief) in someone I can not see physically. I found that God was not who I was raised to believe He was but that He is so much better! I found that He has offered me an unconditional gift, all I had to do was accept it. That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. The gift is eternal life with unconditional love. All I had to do to accept it was to believe in it. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". We hope for eternal life being certain that God is who He says He is, that he gave us His Son to die for us and rose from the dead to pay the price for ALL our sins. That is love! No strings attached. Pure unconditional love. One of the reasons I love my mom is because I know I have her unconditional love. So the choice was easy for me to love this God. Not because of the end result being heaven or hell (although I certainly favor the option of heaven over hell or non existence) but because of that unconditional love. So, I chose to love God, have faith in Him and hope for eternal life with Him. So, I chose to have faith because of love not fear. Faith, hope and love.

I hope you chose that too. You are sincerely seeking and I believe He will show you what you are seeking.

Midgey742
Jun 8th 2008, 02:19 PM
hi and welcome to the board

slynx
Jun 8th 2008, 11:21 PM

Actually, God is a fact just like oxygen.

There was a time when scientisits did not KNOW about the fact of oxygen, or its properties. They postulated an element called phlogiston as part of a theory of combustion.

If something is true, it remains true even if no one knows about it and even if no one believes it. Gravity worked before men had formulated any idea of it.

One can disbelieve in gravity. But, it is going to WORK anyway. If a person jumped off a 30-story building, he would be just as splatted, whether he believed in gravity or not.

The same is true of God. Whether one believes in Him or not, He will be judging all men at the White Throne Judgement, and the consequences of disbelief will be very real. Splat.

amar1506
Jun 9th 2008, 12:58 AM
Actually, God is a fact just like oxygen.

There was a time when scientisits did not KNOW about the fact of oxygen, or its properties. They postulated an element called phlogiston as part of a theory of combustion.

If something is true, it remains true even if no one knows about it and even if no one believes it. Gravity worked before men had formulated any idea of it.

One can disbelieve in gravity. But, it is going to WORK anyway. If a person jumped off a 30-story building, he would be just as splatted, whether he believed in gravity or not.

The same is true of God. Whether one believes in Him or not, He will be judging all men at the White Throne Judgement, and the consequences of disbelief will be very real. Splat.

i understand exactly what you are saying...but that is completly different, it cannot be proved that god exists

calidog
Jun 9th 2008, 01:06 AM
...but that is completly different, it cannot be proved that god existsWere told over and over that the Heavens, the universe, displays His handiwork. We are also told our very concience comes from Him. But we, mankind, continue to explain Him away, and eventually He gives us over to our own deceptions.

Athanasius
Jun 9th 2008, 01:26 AM
I believe thet theres some kind of higher being than humans. i just want to get an unbiased look at everything in the world. people in iraq wouldnt be blowing themselves up and killing people unless they were raised to believe that. we think thats horrible, and i think it is too but they think their doing right. i dont want to believe something cause thats what i was raised to, but because i truely feel it is right.

You may start out in a state of unbias, but don't let a fear of bias stop your search. You are going to become more and more biased as you research more and more into different faiths. Bias can be a good thing!

You're going to think suicide bombing is wrong, even if the Muslim believes it to be right. You're going to be taken aback at some of the actions in the Old Testament. You're going to be disgusted at Hinduism and Buddhisms lack of a response to the 'problem of evil'. You're going to be disappointed at atheism's lack of an answer for everything it seeks to remove but not replace.

With the above don't misunderstand me. All I am saying is that in your search you're going to come across things that don't sound right, that make you feel uneasy, that cause you to wonder, this is good, it means you're asking the right questions. Where the test of truth comes in is how these different belief systems answer your questions... I dare say that only Christianity has the ability to answer, sufficiently, many of the theological and philosophical problems of our day (future and past).

Now you said we don't have to believe in oxygen to breath, it's just there. I'll say the same of God. We don't have to believe He exists, but He does. Let's use that as our first question; how do different religions respond to unbelief in God?

Allah desires his followers to kill you for your unbelief. Hinduism and Buddhism will grant you another life for your actions in this life; another chance at Nirvana, nothing--Hinduism has 330 million gods, but they don't matter much, Buddhism believes in no god(s). Judaism will require you to follow these sets of rules. Christianity will tell you that you have a choice, and that whether or not you believe in God, He gave His Son for us all. Which system best answers the questions?

To quickly add; I can't give you one definitive proof for the existence of God, but I can give you very many different arguments. I believe it's the combined force of these arguments that make belief in God one of the heights of intellectuality. Anything by Alvin Plantiga on the existence (or non-existence) of God would be of interest to you.

Like air, even if you aren't paying attention, God is there.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now in your search ask yourself why you're looking for the truth? Outside of God's existence there isn't truth, there isn't even wrong. Things just 'are'. Existentially, your actions suggest a God.

genesisblu
Jun 9th 2008, 01:35 AM
Amar, I was just curious if you would answer what denomination was the church that you went to? I am not going anywhere with this so I won't have a response. I am just curious. :)

Scruffy Kid
Jun 9th 2008, 04:08 AM
Hello Anthony!
Welcome to Bibleforums! :hug:
It's great to have you here! :pp :pp :pp

I was born into a non-believing family -- my Dad was an atheist, and my Mom never expressed much in the way of religious ideas. I had no Christian friends or group, but gradually came to want Jesus in my life and was baptized when I was 16. Later, I questioned further, and tried to figure out exactly what I thought. My faith became very sure a few years later, and I've continued convinced and solid in my faith ever since -- quite a few years.

There are lots of ways a person could learn about Jesus, and the Christian faith, of course. One way would be to start reading one of the Gospels. I favor Mark, which is short, and perhaps then John. But any of the Gospels would do.

Another way to learn would be to ask questions. You could ask us why we believe, for instance, and what we believe. I'd be happy to say those things, but since I tend to write long posts I don't want to dive in on that unless it's what you're looking for.

All my life I've questioned and sought for truth in every area of life. My parents brought us up to think independently and to value the truth. (But they were, I think, surprised where my thinking came out. So I agree with your general principles about that. I've spent most of my life studying and teaching -- although my academic field is not in a particularly religious or theological area.

I think that actually, as a matter of fact, God made all things, and sustains us in being, in His love; and that we human beings are radically broken in our inner being -- prone to do wrong and go astray -- and that Jesus was in fact God's own Son, who came to rescue us, and to bring us to God and to the fullness of truth and good and life. So of course I believe that walking with God and with Christ Jesus is the most valuable and important thing in life. That explains my overall perspective.

Thanks again for coming here! While we could ask questions, another plan -- we could do both at once -- would be for you to ask questions.

In friendship,
Scruffy Kid

amar1506
Jun 9th 2008, 05:01 PM
Amar, I was just curious if you would answer what denomination was the church that you went to? I am not going anywhere with this so I won't have a response. I am just curious. :)

like lutheran until i was 11...then a baptist church

thats another thing that made me think about religion a little bit. that my parents literally just switched churches cause "they liked the baptist church".
you dont choose a belief because its convenient, you choose it because its right.. they didnt really give any consideration to the beliefs, but just the structure..

amar1506
Jun 9th 2008, 05:13 PM
Allah desires his followers to kill you for your unbelief. Hinduism and Buddhism will grant you another life for your actions in this life; another chance at Nirvana, nothing--Hinduism has 330 million gods, but they don't matter much, Buddhism believes in no god(s). Judaism will require you to follow these sets of rules. Christianity will tell you that you have a choice, and that whether or not you believe in God, He gave His Son for us all. Which system best answers the questions?

Zechariah 13:3-
3And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.

Deuteronomy 13:13-19
13Certain men, the children of Belial, are gone out from among you, and have withdrawn the inhabitants of their city, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which ye have not known; 14Then shalt thou enquire, and make search, and ask diligently; and, behold, if it be truth, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought among you;
15Thou shalt surely smite the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, destroying it utterly, and all that is therein, and the cattle thereof, with the edge of the sword.
16And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.
17And there shall cleave nought of the cursed thing to thine hand: that the LORD may turn from the fierceness of his anger, and shew thee mercy, and have compassion upon thee, and multiply thee, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers;
18When thou shalt hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep all his commandments which I command thee this day, to do that which is right in the eyes of the LORD thy God.

There are many other verses in the bible instructing people to kill people of other religions and false prophets. i could show more if anybody wants me to.

are these verses to be taken literally? if yes the Bible also tells us to kill Unbelievers.

Gulah Papyrus
Jun 9th 2008, 05:43 PM
i understand exactly what you are saying...but that is completly different, it cannot be proved that god exists

It is so interesting to hear that, and I am not bagging on you at all, I get what you are saying, but I have a hard time NOT seeing proof of God's existance everywhere I look. Actually, I have had all 5 of my senses 'trick' me at one time of another, but my sixth one, the one in my heart that senses God's presence and regognizes His work, never has, and I doubt it ever will. I guess I could even say that God is the one thing that I AM absolutely sure about.:dunno:

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for.

grptinHisHand
Jun 9th 2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the boards. :) I like it here and believe you will too. I am happy to 'hear' you say that you are seeking to know the truth. Many others have given you great advice. (I like to suggest to those searching, or to new Christians, to start with reading of the book of John.)

Here is my take on the reality of God:
I believe that when I awake it is the goodness of God that gives me another day. I look at the stars, the ocean, the mountains, trees -- well, just all of creation, and wonder how anyone can not believe that God is the One Who created it all. His Word, the Bible, is also enough to convince me. I believe in Him because He makes a difference in me, in my life everyday. I believe He created mankind for us to have relationship with Him. I believe that He sent His Son, Jesus, to live a sinless life, die a substitutionary death, for ALL who will receive Him.

But that isn't enough to convince another person that God is the One True God. It will take Him revealing Himself to you for you to believe, to know Him. We can tell you much, but it is God Who will reach into your heart and really convince you.
This passage below says a LOT to me:
2 Timothy 3:14-17 NKJV
14 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=2Ti&chapter=3&translation=nkjvp&x=8&y=8#) But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, 15 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=2Ti&chapter=3&translation=nkjvp&x=8&y=8#) and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=2Ti&chapter=3&translation=nkjvp&x=8&y=8#) All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=2Ti&chapter=3&translation=nkjvp&x=8&y=8#) that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Then there are the writings of Lee Strobel, like The Case for Christ or others. You can learn a little bit about him from the following web site. He was an atheist who set out to prove Christianity was not real and came to believe that Christ is REAL.
http://www.leestrobel.com/LS_bio.htm

In John 14:6 Jesus Himself said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." I believe that too.
I will be praying for you. - For God to reveal Himself to you as you seek. He says that we will find Him if we search for Him with all our heart. I believe you will (find Him) because I believe you are (sincerely searching).
g :hug:

genesisblu
Jun 9th 2008, 07:16 PM
like lutheran until i was 11...then a baptist church

thats another thing that made me think about religion a little bit. that my parents literally just switched churches cause "they liked the baptist church".
you dont choose a belief because its convenient, you choose it because its right.. they didnt really give any consideration to the beliefs, but just the structure..

Well, as long as the churches teach biblically sound it shouldn't matter the denomination. We have attended many churches that are denominationally different. Like the differences between Morman and say Baptism are vastly different. So it wouldn't make sense to switch churches unless you are wanting to change your beliefs. The typical differences in churches such as Lutheran vs. Baptism tend to be things like atmosphere and worship practices. The most important thing is that the what the pastor says always lines up with The Word. Maybe that was what was in your parents mind when they changed churches.

Athanasius
Jun 9th 2008, 07:48 PM
There are many other verses in the bible instructing people to kill people of other religions and false prophets. i could show more if anybody wants me to.

are these verses to be taken literally? if yes the Bible also tells us to kill Unbelievers.

Amar I'm at work right now so I lack the time to reply to your whole post (but rest assured, I will ;)). In the mean time, however, I have two questions for you.

The first concerns other verses in the Bible.
From what you've posted you've come to the conclusion that the Bible instructs us to kill unbelievers. However, what do you think of verses such as the following?

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Romans 12:14
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse

1 Peter 3:9
Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing

Romans 12:17-21
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

You have three choices:

1) The Bible contradicts
2) The New Testament isn't saying what it seems to be saying
3) The Old Testament isn't saying what it seems to be saying

The second thing I want to point out is your use of 'false prophets'. Why use those words, and how do you think they are significant?

RogerW
Jun 15th 2008, 08:22 PM
Greetings Armar,

If you truly want to know about Jesus, then seek Him in His Word. The Bible tells us without faith the gospel will not profit us.

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

The way we receive faith needed to believe is by hearing the gospel.

Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

It is through "hearing" His voice, through His Word that faith is given to all who believe. So diligently read, search, meditate on the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes (Ro 1:16). Continue to ask questions to things in the Bible you don't understand. Ask God to give you understanding.

Joh 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I pray that God will give you understanding, and draw you into His eternal kingdom.

Many Blessings,
RW

Sold Out
Jun 17th 2008, 04:24 PM

Go back to the beginning my friend. Become a student of history! You need to understand Christianity and other world religions from a timeline perspective. Can you name the first religion?

Vivi
Jun 19th 2008, 03:03 PM
Never before have I come across an open minded atheist such as yourself Anthony my friend. All other atheists have bashed me hard because I'm a Christian but to find one that is accually willing to listen to what I have to say is a great joy.

My advice to you is to pray and ask God to reveal himself to you. I don't understand a whole lot either I just go by on faith and it's worked well with me. Draw near to God and he will draw near to you my dear friend. For without God NOTHING can exist.

resbmc
Jun 19th 2008, 03:04 PM
The last sabbatical years are upon us

Brother Mark
Jun 19th 2008, 03:06 PM

my beliefs are

What kind of research have you done so far? I'm just now joining the thread, so maybe when I finish reading it I will see you have already answered the question. If not, I look forward to hearing! I too went through something similar to what you are experiencing.