PDA

View Full Version : Looking for manuscripts

TeacherGift
Jun 16th 2008, 11:05 PM
I'm fairly new here, but this looks like the forum to post this in. I am beginning my study into the Greek NT and wanted to get some advice.

I have an interlinear copy of NA26 I'm using, but I'm looking for a bit more. Eventually I want to be able to use the GNT as my personal bible. I also have an older copy of the Septuagint (early 1900's).

As it is now, I can get the NA27 with a built in dictionary in a leather bible style, but I haven't found a Septuagint in the same style. Ideally I would like a one volume leather bible containing the NA27 (or UBS4) and the Septuagint, with a Greek-English dictionary in the back. A pipe dream maybe, but lacking this, I might make my own.

As it is now, I use the NASB update as my regular bible, and have respect for the KJV 1700s edition's literal translation as well.

As I work on my translation I have so many books out...concordances, exegetical commentaries, bibles, dictionaries, lexicons, etc. With the GNT/LXX/dictionary combo I'm looking for, I could get rid of 3 or 4 monster books on my table. Does this exist? If not in one volume, then two volumes? Where? Help!?

I'm not looking for a discussion on whether or not these are reliable texts or not, that's for another discussion. Rather, I'm looking for advice on where to locate these and recommendations on what others have found.

"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." - The apostle Paul, on more than one occasion :)

TrustGzus
Jun 16th 2008, 11:20 PM
Hey TeacherGift,

I too own books such as the Septuagint and NA27. I don't know of such an item your looking for. Sorry I can't help. I can't imagine the demand for these is high and that publishers would have this on the forefront of their minds.

Grace & peace to you,

Joe

TeacherGift
Jun 16th 2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Who publishes a good, small version of the LXX? Mine is in two old bulky volumes. Are there different critical texts for the LXX as for the GNT?

Grace to you and peace.

TrustGzus
Jun 17th 2008, 01:53 AM
Here's a link (http://http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=septuagint&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go) to a search at Christianbook.com for the word "Septuagint". You can click on the different editions and it gives the dimensions of the book.

Teke
Jun 17th 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Who publishes a good, small version of the LXX? Mine is in two old bulky volumes. Are there different critical texts for the LXX as for the GNT?

Grace to you and peace.

If you mean an English version, there is finally a copy in English out.:pp LXX.org has completed the work.
Here (http://www.orthodoxstudybible.com/) is where to order one from.
No critical text.

E-sword has a Greek translation, but from what I've seen of it, it is missing parts. It is fashioned in the order of the KJV, which leaves some parts out. ie. chapter numbers in Jeremiah are greater in the LXX than KJV.