PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Chapter One -- Two Questions

arielette
Jun 18th 2008, 08:48 PM
I would be interested if anyone could answer two questions I have about the first chapter of Matthew:

1. What is the significance of the number 14 between Abraham to David/Babylon/Christ --

2. Why did the angel say Jesus was going to be named Emmanuel and he was never referred to that way? Thanx.

Teke
Jun 18th 2008, 09:32 PM
I would be interested if anyone could answer two questions I have about the first chapter of Matthew:

1. What is the significance of the number 14 between Abraham to David/Babylon/Christ --

I assume you mean the three groups of fourteens in the genealogy. Fourteen is the numerical value of the consonants in the name David, underlining Jesus' Davidic descent.

2. Why did the angel say Jesus was going to be named Emmanuel and he was never referred to that way? Thanx.

This is further evidence of His divinity. He literally is God with us.

Literalist-Luke
Jun 18th 2008, 11:28 PM

I assume you mean the three groups of fourteens in the genealogy. Fourteen is the numerical value of the consonants in the name David, underlining Jesus' Davidic descent.Teke, I did not realize that little tidbit about the numerology in David's name, thanks.

Arielette, I would add a couple of things to what Teke has already mentioned:

1. I'm not sure that the three groups of fourteen is to be taken as a significant number. It was a common practice in those days to round off lists so that each fit the others more neatly. In fact, based on the generally accepted birthday of Abram/Abraham in ca. 1812 BC, every person mentioned in Matthew's geneology would have had to wait until an average age of 43 before giving birth to the child who would go on to be Christ's ancestor. Even American parents don't wait until an average age or 43 before having their children, and in semitic cultures like in the Bible, people have children even earlier in life than we do here in the USA. So there is almost certainly a number of people who were left off of Matthew's list.

Besides, the point of Matthew's list was not to illustrate a miraculous numerology. The point was that Jesus' ancestry could be traced from Abraham through David and all the way even through the chaos of the Babylonian dispersion up to the day of His birth to the familiy of Joseph (as Matthew reckoned it), which established His geneological eligiblity to be the Jewish Messiah. That was Matthew's main point: Jesus fits the mold, He was from the correct side of the tracks, so to speak.

One thing I hardly ever see discussed is that even the Pharisees/Sanhedrin recognized Jesus' geneological legitimacy, because in their many attempts to discredit Him, they never even brought up His ancestry, so that was obviously well-established. Matthew has simply preserved it for us in his gospel.

2. The angel never said Jesus' name would be Immanuel. Isaiah said that at Isaiah 7:14. The angel said in Matthew 1:21 that "you are to give Him the name Jesus".

And it's true that Jesus is not commonly referred to as "Immanuel", but it is still a correct title of His. Elizabeth II of the UK is not normally referred to as "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth and Baroness Greenwich, Supreme Governor of the Church of England, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, and Paramount Chief of Fiji", but they are still titles of hers. "Immanuel" goes along with Jesus' statement that "whoever has seen me has seen the Father".

Hope this helps. :yes:

arielette
Jun 18th 2008, 11:54 PM
Yes it helps very much -- Thank you both for your help! I am reading the New Testament and if I don't understand something, I have decided to stop and find the answer. God Bless you!

By Faith
Jun 19th 2008, 12:28 AM
That is awesome way to read:) Also Emmanuel fufills scripture in the old testament.

arielette
Jun 19th 2008, 01:26 AM
....yes it does...Hi By Faith :pp

1of7000
Jun 20th 2008, 01:43 PM
Matthew gives the Royal pedigree on Mary's side of the family

Luke gives the legal side of the family on Joseph's

Teke
Jun 20th 2008, 05:09 PM
Teke, I did not realize that little tidbit about the numerology in David's name, thanks.

I'm not sure that the three groups of fourteen is to be taken as a significant number.

Besides, the point of Matthew's list was not to illustrate a miraculous numerology.

Numerology plays a part in Hebraic literature as their language was derived from such.
There is probably three groups because two or three make a witness.
I wouldn't call numerology miraculous, but it's always present in Hebraic writings.