PDA

View Full Version : The office of a prophet

Ta-An
Oct 15th 2002, 07:26 PM
1*Who qualifies for the office of a prophet?
2*What qualifies us for the office of a prophet?
3*Do we still need Prophets today?

Looking at Barnabas (Acts 11) I see a man with a lifelong willingness to obedience. He is an encourager.
1COR 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.(King James Version)
Definately a person full of Inner Peace and Joysomeone with a solid faith and filled with the Word
NOT a person that speaks doom???or is that allowed, if it scripture based and appropriate??

homebild
Oct 16th 2002, 04:13 AM
No prophet is 'called' based upon his own qualifications or self contained characteristics. A prophet does not EARN his office. The gifting of the office of prophet is based upon the complete and soverign selection of the Holy Spirit.

I think the burden to prove otherwise is squarely upon you....

'Do we still need prophets today'?

Well, God says we do, so what do you have to counter what God says?

Ta-An
Oct 16th 2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by homebild
No prophet is 'called' based upon his own qualifications or self contained characteristics. A prophet does not EARN his office. The gifting of the office of prophet is based upon the complete and soverign selection of the Holy Spirit.

I think the burden to prove otherwise is squarely upon you....

'Do we still need prophets today'?

Well, God says we do, so what do you have to counter what God says?
I think maybe you'll understand what I'm looking for if I rephrase my statement/question.:)
How do we recognise a prophet?

john7angel
Oct 16th 2002, 05:25 AM
Question one should ask, is will they know a prophet when speaking to one?
Second, would you/they except that person if they was a prophet.
If i was to say to you i was a prophet would except it or reject it? If you reject it why judge me? If you except it do you know if i'm of God or am I a false prophet?
So how do you know if i'm a prophet? Then comes the question if you reject me as a prophet that is of God, how will you know Jesus if you reject a prophet of God?
If all the prophets was rejected back then in the days when Christ walked the earth. Would they not be rejected today with all these beliefs and religions? There is only one bible, one God, one religion and belief. If i'm a prophet then told you and the world this is the true meaning and belief, would you except it or reject? That goes the same if Jesus was here right now, would you know it was him or would you clam he was a false Christ?
So why would man make judgement of who's a prophet or not. God chooses those to be a prophet knowing there hearts!

To answer you ACCM, you know by knowing God and hearing the truth.. A prophet speaks from his heart. If his heart is that of love one knows he speaks the truth. God is a God of Love, if you speak the truth you speak out of love, the truth hurts but done out of love.
God bless you all, John:saint:

Darlene Austin
Oct 16th 2002, 05:41 AM
My dear ACCM,

:P

Ta-An
Oct 16th 2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Darlene Austin
My dear ACCM,

:P
SAY WHAT???

mfulstone
Oct 16th 2002, 08:03 PM
A true prophet does not speak from his own heart, but rather speaks as he is moved by the Holy Spirit.

Speaking from the heart is no proof:

Luke 6:45
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

The holy Spirit will bear witness to you whether one is a prophet of God or not. That is, if you truly listen to the spirit and not the vain imaginings of your own mind. Far too many people think God is speaking to them when, in fact, it is their own imagination.

As in all other things, many are called to be a prophet, but few are chosen.

john7angel
Oct 16th 2002, 08:12 PM
mfulstone

LOL

A true prophet does not speak from his own heart, but rather speaks as he is moved by the Holy Spirit.

Only a heart that speaks the truth is filled with the Holy Ghost...lol A man can not speek the true without the Holy Sprit.. To speak the truth is to live without fear.. Only a man without with the Holy Spirit lives in fear. Its what comes out of the heart that defiles a man..
My mistake, i should have added that, but that's what i meant..lol

Thank you for clearing that up.. smiling
:saint:

God Bless you, John

mfulstone
Oct 16th 2002, 08:53 PM
AND, I might add, prophets like Elijah, Elishah and John the baptist, did not appear to be all sweetness and light and love to those they rebuked.

They were moved by the very same Spirit that moves true prophets today.

Darlene Austin
Oct 17th 2002, 09:17 PM
Some churches and people are challenged by the prophet because they are( meaning the people) smug and comfortably insulated from a perrishing world in their warm but untested theology, and are not likely to vote him "Man of the year" when he refers to them as habituates of the synagogue of Satan!
The prophet comes to set up that which is upset. His work is to call into line those who are out of line! He is unpopular because he opposes the popular in morality and spirituality. In a day of faceless politicians and voiceless preachers, there is not a more urgent national need than that we cry to God for a prophet! The function of the prophet, as Austin-Sparks once said. "has almost always been that of recovery."

Mufulstone, your description of a prophet in the other thread was partly correct, but I did detect it being salted with some of your past experiences.

The prophet is Gods detective seeking for a lost treasure. The degree of his effectiveness is determined by his measure of unpopularity. Compromise is not known to him.
He has no price tags.
He is totally "otherworldly"
He is unquestionably controversial and unpardonably hostile.
He marches to another drummer!
He breathes the rarefied are of inspiration
He is a 'seer' who comes to lead the blind
He lives in the heights of God and comes into the valley with a "thus saith the Lord"
He shares some of the foreknowledge of God and so is aware if impending judgement.
He lives in "splendid isolation"
He is forthright and outright, but he claims no birthright
His message is "repent, be recounciled to God or else...!
His prophecies are parried
His truth brings torment, but his boice is never boid
He is the billain of today and the hero of tomorrow
He is excommunicated while alive and exalted when dead!
He is dishonored with epithets when breathing and honored with epitaphs when dead.
He is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, but few "make the grade" in his class
He is friendless while living and famous when dead.
His is against the establishment in ministry, then he is established as a saint by posterity
He eats daily the bread of affliction while he ministers, but he feeds the Bread of Life to those who listen
He walks before men for days but had walked before God for years
He is a scourge to the nation before he is scourged by the nation
He announces, pronounces, and denounces! He has a heart like a volcano and his words are as fire
He talks to men about God
He carries the lamp of truth amongst heretics while he is lampooned by men
He faces God before he faces men, but he is self-effacing
He hides with God in the secret place, but he has nothing to hide in the marketplace.
He is naturally sensitive but supernaturally spiritual
He has passion, purpose and pugnacity

He is ordained by God but disdaned by men

If you notice, the OT prophets were totalilty surrendered. Jeremiah tried to get God to leave him alone but God called him to be a prophet, so that was it.

ravi4u2
Oct 4th 2007, 03:23 AM
First of all the NT prophet is not an 'office'. And there are differences between a NT prophet and OT prophet.

mikebr
Oct 4th 2007, 11:17 AM
First of all the NT prophet is not an 'office'. And there are differences between a NT prophet and OT prophet.

Yes, I agree, but who would you say were the NT prophets. I don't think you could put John the Baptist in that category. A prophet simply proclaims God's Word. Does God have anything new to say or has He said every thing that He needs to to mankind? I believe a prophet and a preacher are the same thing. Not to be confused with a pastor however. Far too many people are claiming to be prophets with something new from God. I would think that we need to stay away from those people.

David Taylor
Oct 4th 2007, 12:04 PM
I believe the Bible is 100% complete and sufficient in holding every teaching and instruction we need, and it is lacking for nothing that a latter-day prophet would need to add in addition to what the bible says.

judi<>><
Oct 4th 2007, 12:09 PM
First of all the NT prophet is not an 'office'. And there are differences between a NT prophet and OT prophet.Truly?

When people talk of "office gifts," this is the scripture most frequently quoted:

It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-13)So... do you draw the line after prophets, and before evangelists? Or are all the gifts still necessary to the church?

Sold Out
Oct 4th 2007, 12:27 PM
1*Who qualifies for the office of a prophet?
2*What qualifies us for the office of a prophet?
3*Do we still need Prophets today?

Looking at Barnabas (Acts 11) I see a man with a lifelong willingness to obedience. He is an encourager.
1COR 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.(King James Version)
Definately a person full of Inner Peace and Joysomeone with a solid faith and filled with the Word
NOT a person that speaks doom???or is that allowed, if it scripture based and appropriate??

A prophet has to be 100% accurate. (Deut 18:22)

"Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether, prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;" Romans 12:6

This word (proportion) is a Greek word meaning “the right relation.” There is one prerequisite to using the gift of prophecy. Believers with this gift are warned not to proclaim anything beyond what God has already revealed within his Word. The “word of knowledge” movement is unscriptural.

godsgirl
Oct 4th 2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the word of knowledge" movement??? But the Holy Spirit still moves people to be used in the gift.

ravi4u2
Oct 4th 2007, 03:00 PM
Yes, I agree, but who would you say were the NT prophets. I don't think you could put John the Baptist in that category. A prophet simply proclaims God's Word. Does God have anything new to say or has He said every thing that He needs to to mankind? I believe a prophet and a preacher are the same thing. Not to be confused with a pastor however. Far too many people are claiming to be prophets with something new from God. I would think that we need to stay away from those people.

Truly?
When people talk of "office gifts," this is the scripture most frequently quoted:
So... do you draw the line after prophets, and before evangelists? Or are all the gifts still necessary to the church?

Paul says that apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers are gifts from the son, not an 'office'. Christ is the Apostle (Hebrews 3:1), He is the Prophet (Luke 24:19), He is the Evangelist (Mark 1:14), He is the Pastor (Hebrews 13;20) and He is also the Teacher (John 3:2). When Elijah ascended on high, Elisha could take on his mantle because Elijah was mere man. But when Jesus ascended on high, no one man could take on the mantle of power from Christ Jesus. People begged Jesus to touch His mantle, because there was so much power in it (Matthew 14:36). The five-fold mantle is the manifestation of the five 'types' of Jesus.

One reason why the NT prophet is always 100% accurate is because he never proclaims anything that is contrary to the revealed Word. Have you heard the term 'dance is music made visible'? Well, the prophet's role in the new is to illustrate the relevancy of the Word for any given time or situation. Agabus is a good illustration of the NT prophet. The thought of the 'preacher' as we know it today, is contrary to the revealed Word, the Bible.

Sold Out
Oct 4th 2007, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the word of knowledge" movement??? But the Holy Spirit still moves people to be used in the gift.

Have you ever watched the 700 Club? You know when they sit around and pray and get a 'word of knowledge' about somebody?

VerticalReality
Oct 4th 2007, 06:44 PM
Good gravy, this thread is old. Drug all the way up from the depths of 2002!

anglican-cat
Oct 4th 2007, 11:33 PM
I believe the Bible is 100% complete and sufficient in holding every teaching and instruction we need, and it is lacking for nothing that a latter-day prophet would need to add in addition to what the bible says.Amen. For there to be "new" prophets there would have to be 2 assumptions:The Cannon is still open. God did not "finish" revealing all that he wished to reveal by the Book of Revelation. The second goes hand in glove with the first assumption, the idea that there is additional "revelation" for some select few would mean that IF there were still a Prophetic Office the Oracles would have to be viewed on level with scripture. I cannot on the basis of orthodoxy accept either assumption. They are flawed and ultimately dangerous. Grace and Peace.

ravi4u2
Oct 5th 2007, 03:56 AM
Amen. For there to be "new" prophets there would have to be 2 assumptions:The Cannon is still open. God did not "finish" revealing all that he wished to reveal by the Book of Revelation. The second goes hand in glove with the first assumption, the idea that there is additional "revelation" for some select few would mean that IF there were still a Prophetic Office the Oracles would have to be viewed on level with scripture. I cannot on the basis of orthodoxy accept either assumption. They are flawed and ultimately dangerous. Grace and Peace. So, what did Peter mean when he said, "But you need to realize that no one alone can understand any of the prophecies in the Scriptures. The prophets did not think these things up on their own, but they were guided by the Spirit of God. Sometimes false prophets spoke to the people of Israel. False teachers will also sneak in and speak harmful lies to you. But these teachers don't really belong to the Master who paid a great price for them, and they will quickly destroy themselves. Many people will follow their evil ways and cause others to tell lies about the true way. They will be greedy and cheat you with smooth talk. But long ago God decided to punish them, and God doesn't sleep"?

David Taylor
Oct 5th 2007, 12:00 PM
So, what did Peter mean when he said, "But you need to realize that no one alone can understand any of the prophecies in the Scriptures.

I believe Peter was referring to John 14, "the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.", in conjunction with studying the Word as the Berean's did in Acts 17:11 "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."....not a later-day prophet.

The prophets did not think these things up on their own, but they were guided by the Spirit of God. Sometimes false prophets spoke to the people of Israel. False teachers will also sneak in and speak harmful lies to you. But these teachers don't really belong to the Master who paid a great price for them, and they will quickly destroy themselves. Many people will follow their evil ways and cause others to tell lies about the true way. They will be greedy and cheat you with smooth talk. But long ago God decided to punish them, and God doesn't sleep"?
I agree the Prophets did not think these things up on their own, but were guided by the Spirit of God. And I also believe the last Prophet to walk the Earth did so 20 centuries ago.

Since then, we have the Holy Spirit teaching us all things through God's Word. Complete sufficiency now, God has no use for a modern day Prophet.

third hero
Oct 5th 2007, 02:18 PM
Honestly, the office of prophet is a curse and a blessing. We who have been chosen by God to fill this office have to deal with this everyday:

I believe the Bible is 100% complete and sufficient in holding every teaching and instruction we need, and it is lacking for nothing that a latter-day prophet would need to add in addition to what the bible says.

Amen. For there to be "new" prophets there would have to be 2 assumptions:The Cannon is still open. God did not "finish" revealing all that he wished to reveal by the Book of Revelation. The second goes hand in glove with the first assumption, the idea that there is additional "revelation" for some select few would mean that IF there were still a Prophetic Office the Oracles would have to be viewed on level with scripture. I cannot on the basis of orthodoxy accept either assumption. They are flawed and ultimately dangerous. Grace and Peace.

And there are more things which are much more hostile. It shows me that many do not understand what a prophet is, nor can they.

A prophet is hostile, because his message is not something in which people want to hear. A prophet usually does not bring forth another piece of "enlightenment". No, rather a prophet is the one who does the dirty-work of God. Look at every OT prophet and the one thing is the same, and the same is with the NT prophets as well. The people forsaken the way, guided by the tingling of their own ears. The prophet is the one who is sent by God for the purpose of setting everyone back onto the path.

He is the one who brings the simple truth of God's word into the light, and tells the people that their doctrines are wrong and that they must repent. The only reason why the OT prophets have signs with them is so that the unbelieving among the people would believe that they are truly sent by God. ANd the same is true of NT prophets. We have had prophets in ancient times, although many did not figure them to be so until after their deaths. Martin Luther, for example, fought against the establishment with the truth that they were disobedient to God, and had a list of 95 offenses. Dr. King was a modern-day prophet, who fought against the establishment in not only the church, (Racism which was prevalent in the churches), but also the government. There are prophets that are still around even today, telling the people to get back on the right path, and their knowledge of scripture is unrivaled.

Will people recognize a prophet when they see one? Probably not. Why? Because they do not understand the office of Prophet, nor do they understand the purpose of a prophet. Moreover, like another person said, the prophet is not established by men. He can not obtain his status by means of Seminary. there is no school that a prophet can go to gain his knowledge. A Prophet is called exclusively by God, and a true prophet is taught by God. His message is the very words coming out of the mouth of God, because the people would not listen otherwise.

I asked this question a long time ago, and I will ask it again. Jesus prayed that we be one, as He and the Father are one. (John 17:21) Jesus, upon his ascention, sent His Holy Spirit, "he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26). If the Holy Spirit is to lead us to all truth, and teach us everything that Christ commanded, how come there is so much division in the church today? The answer is this. No one is listening to Him. Thus, the need for the prophet has arisen once again, to bring people back to the Lord, and to the guidence of the Holy Spirit.

Take alook around! Whom among the people are righteous? We have debates as to whether a person who confesses the Lord as Savior is saved, even after they betray him and leave the faith? Several denominations debating the merits of an abomination?! Are you kidding me? Who is more righteous, one who speaks in tongues, or teaches the truth to all? Is the gifts more important than the Giver? Who is listening to the Holy Spirit? Tell me, WHO?!

I was 18, and I was sitting on a metal window-seal in the beginnings of a severe thunderstorm. I was about to get away from the window when the Lord spoke to me and said, "stay here, you are safe". So, I stayed, and looked outside. (Mind you ,I lived in a project row-home, with the worst of society living there with me). I heard the thunder roar, and apparently, so did the others. They went to their porches, looking at the sky. Then I heard this voice say to me, "Is this what I have to do to get my people's attention?" He was talking about the people who were there, drug-addicted and in dispair, but they weren't the only ones He was talking about. You, the church, me. We who profess to hear the voice of the Lord, and profess to follow Him. Whom among us are listening? He got my attention that night, and since then, I have been in training, training for the day when God calls me out.

To those who do not understand, that's not my problem. I do know this though. God calls out prophets even today, and to the one who desire to be obedient, He trains. Whether one agrees with Him or not is not something that a true prophet concerns himself with.

ravi4u2
Oct 5th 2007, 02:33 PM
I believe Peter was referring to John 14, "the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.", in conjunction with studying the Word as the Berean's did in Acts 17:11 "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."....not a later-day prophet.

I agree the Prophets did not think these things up on their own, but were guided by the Spirit of God. And I also believe the last Prophet to walk the Earth did so 20 centuries ago.

Since then, we have the Holy Spirit teaching us all things through God's Word. Complete sufficiency now, God has no use for a modern day Prophet.If indeed Peter was talking about prophecies in general, he did not have to compare them with false prophets would he? Although they seem similar it is like comparing 'apples and pears'. The rest of the post is your opinion with which I have no 'quarrel'.

third hero
Oct 5th 2007, 02:34 PM
I believe Peter was referring to John 14, "the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.",
Since then, we have the Holy Spirit teaching us all things through God's Word. Complete sufficiency now, God has no use for a modern day Prophet.

David,
The quote is that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things, and bring to our remembrance the things which Christ taught. There is no distinction between whether he uses a book or not. The Bible was not in existence when this quote was written, and thus it is safe to assume that the only way the church would continue to be in obedience to Lord Jesus if they followed the Holy Spirit. But no, we have the same problem as the Pharisees. Line upon line, precept upon precept. Here a little... there a little, so that they can stumble, be ensnared, and captured.

People do not understand that the written word is simple enough for everyone to understand, if they followed the guidance of the Holy Spirit. But, we have so many denominations saying, "thus saith the Lord" when He never said such a thing, nor has the Word even inferred such a thing.

The problem is this:

1. The Bible is a compilation of revelations and testimonies given to people by means of the Holy Spirit. It is not one book, but a cimpilation.

2. People orignally seek knowledge from this book, but then, when they get ideas, they seek to prove their ideas using scripture, instead of asking of the Lord and awaiting for the answer from God through the Holy Spirit.

When one uses a book to prove their ideas, then false doctrines arrise. For example, the idea that God does not utilize prophets anymore is not originated in the Bible. Not now, not ever. However, we have people saying that God no longer uses prophets because He has the compilation of His word spoken through prophets of His chosing back in the day, as though God decided to become silent, and let men figure it all out by themselves. Another is concernign the gifts of the Spirit. ANother concerning allowing abominations to flourish in the church. Another is to call people who have rebelled agaisnt God and left the faith saved. Were did all of this stuff come from? It is not from the Bible, I can assure you that.

It is the thoughts and hypotheses of men. This is not following the Holy Spirit, this is assuming that you are the Holy Spirit, having all knowledge. Did not Paul write that we only know in part? Is that not in the Bible? IF we only know in part, how can the Bible be complete all by itself? We will not know the fullness of God, or His purpose for us until He returns to get us. To say that we have all of the truth, wehen Paul even says that we know in part is the conclusions of men, and not from God.

Does that mean that people can just say what they want, and we are suppose to accept what they say as the truth? Of course not! We are to test the spirits, to see whether they are from God or not. That involves us following the leading of the Holy Spirit, and know what is the truth, from what is false. Who knows today? Who can honestly say, "I follow the leading of the Holy Spirit"? I wish I could say that, but I fail time and time again. At least I can say that I am trying, and I am making myself available to be led by the Holy Spirit. Can any of the rest of us say that? I hope so.

ravi4u2
Oct 5th 2007, 02:38 PM
Honestly, the office of prophet is a curse and a blessing. We who have been chosen by God to fill this office have to deal with this everyday:

And there are more things which are much more hostile. It shows me that many do not understand what a prophet is, nor can they.

A prophet is hostile, because his message is not something in which people want to hear. A prophet usually does not bring forth another piece of "enlightenment". No, rather a prophet is the one who does the dirty-work of God. Look at every OT prophet and the one thing is the same, and the same is with the NT prophets as well. The people forsaken the way, guided by the tingling of their own ears. The prophet is the one who is sent by God for the purpose of setting everyone back onto the path.

He is the one who brings the simple truth of God's word into the light, and tells the people that their doctrines are wrong and that they must repent. The only reason why the OT prophets have signs with them is so that the unbelieving among the people would believe that they are truly sent by God. ANd the same is true of NT prophets. We have had prophets in ancient times, although many did not figure them to be so until after their deaths. Martin Luther, for example, fought against the establishment with the truth that they were disobedient to God, and had a list of 95 offenses. Dr. King was a modern-day prophet, who fought against the establishment in not only the church, (Racism which was prevalent in the churches), but also the government. There are prophets that are still around even today, telling the people to get back on the right path, and their knowledge of scripture is unrivaled.

Will people recognize a prophet when they see one? Probably not. Why? Because they do not understand the office of Prophet, nor do they understand the purpose of a prophet. Moreover, like another person said, the prophet is not established by men. He can not obtain his status by means of Seminary. there is no school that a prophet can go to gain his knowledge. A Prophet is called exclusively by God, and a true prophet is taught by God. His message is the very words coming out of the mouth of God, because the people would not listen otherwise.

I asked this question a long time ago, and I will ask it again. Jesus prayed that we be one, as He and the Father are one. (John 17:21) Jesus, upon his ascention, sent His Holy Spirit, "he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." (John 14:26). If the Holy Spirit is to lead us to all truth, and teach us everything that Christ commanded, how come there is so much division in the church today? The answer is this. No one is listening to Him. Thus, the need for the prophet has arisen once again, to bring people back to the Lord, and to the guidence of the Holy Spirit.

Take alook around! Whom among the people are righteous? We have debates as to whether a person who confesses the Lord as Savior is saved, even after they betray him and leave the faith? Several denominations debating the merits of an abomination?! Are you kidding me? Who is more righteous, one who speaks in tongues, or teaches the truth to all? Is the gifts more important than the Giver? Who is listening to the Holy Spirit? Tell me, WHO?!

I was 18, and I was sitting on a metal window-seal in the beginnings of a severe thunderstorm. I was about to get away from the window when the Lord spoke to me and said, "stay here, you are safe". So, I stayed, and looked outside. (Mind you ,I lived in a project row-home, with the worst of society living there with me). I heard the thunder roar, and apparently, so did the others. They went to their porches, looking at the sky. Then I heard this voice say to me, "Is this what I have to do to get my people's attention?" He was talking about the people who were there, drug-addicted and in dispair, but they weren't the only ones He was talking about. You, the church, me. We who profess to hear the voice of the Lord, and profess to follow Him. Whom among us are listening? He got my attention that night, and since then, I have been in training, training for the day when God calls me out.

To those who do not understand, that's not my problem. I do know this though. God calls out prophets even today, and to the one who desire to be obedient, He trains. Whether one agrees with Him or not is not something that a true prophet concerns himself with.Nice testimony...May I point out that you ae already 'called out' and that the 'training' is lifelong.

David Taylor
Oct 5th 2007, 02:44 PM

So are you saying that you are a Prophet? HHhhhmmmm.....I hadn't realize that from our conversations in the past.

A prophet is hostile, because his message is not something in which people want to hear. That would only be true to those who reject what the prophet is saying....many people listened, heeded, and followed the prophets of old, because they spoke the truth of God, revealing the scriptures to the people as God gave it to them.

Today, that hostility is transferred to God's Word itself....many are hostile to it, but even yet, thankfully many still choose to accept and embrace it as well.

A prophet usually does not bring forth another piece of "enlightenment". No, rather a prophet is the one who does the dirty-work of God. Look at every OT prophet and the one thing is the same, and the same is with the NT prophets as well. The people forsaken the way, guided by the tingling of their own ears. The prophet is the one who is sent by God for the purpose of setting everyone back onto the path.
Sounds like you are getting more into the realm of preaching, not propheting with that paragraph. Do you see the term Prophet and preacher as interchangeble then, and 'Revelator' as being something completely different and something that scripture is complete in providing without modern 'additions'?

Perhaps it is in how you and/or others choose to define 'Prophet' as a word. Most define it as more of a 'Revelator' of new instruction; than as a 'Preacher' of existing instructions (the BIble)

He is the one who brings the simple truth of God's word into the light, and tells the people that their doctrines are wrong and that they must repent. The only reason why the OT prophets have signs with them is so that the unbelieving among the people would believe that they are truly sent by God. ANd the same is true of NT prophets. We have had prophets in ancient times, although many did not figure them to be so until after their deaths.

Again it sounds like you are talking about preachers of the Word, not Prophets speaking new revelations in addition to the Word.

Martin Luther, for example, fought against the establishment with the truth that they were disobedient to God, and had a list of 95 offenses. Dr. King was a modern-day prophet, who fought against the establishment in not only the church, (Racism which was prevalent in the churches), but also the government. There are prophets that are still around even today, telling the people to get back on the right path, and their knowledge of scripture is unrivaled.

I would say neither were prophets....as is commonly understood (a Revelation of new material)....but rather, they were Preachers and Teachers reminding and pointing people to the truth of the already 'Reveled' Word....which was the basis for proper instruction and understanding. Nothing new, just a reminder to return to what was already sufficient and completed (The Word).

Again, what differs your definition of a Prophet with a simple preacher of God's Word?

That need has always existed....but not in the term 'Prophet'. God has always needed willing voices to preach the word, to be instant in and out of season...in century 1, 10, and 21....and that has always been an ongoing process where God calls men to preach the Word. Prophets, as is commonly understood, bring an expectation of new, unrevealed, and special additional revelation. Maybe your definition of a prophet doesn't, but that is how soceity has always defined a prophet.

You sound like a good old earnest preacher of the Word Doug, and I would be willing to listen to you share the Word anytime....but I wouldn't call you a Prophet because you tell an audience what God through the Bible wants them to hear. And unfortunately, if you ever got to a point where you started to say the Bible itself wasn't sufficient, but need to have new revelations added to it....you'd loose my ear, because I firmly believe the teaching of the Bible is completely sufficient....it just needs to be done, and redone, and done some more....as long as the lost will listen, they can learn from it and never get enough.

Take alook around! Whom among the people are righteous? We have debates as to whether a person who confesses the Lord as Savior is saved, even after they betray him and leave the faith? Several denominations debating the merits of an abomination?! Are you kidding me? Who is more righteous, one who speaks in tongues, or teaches the truth to all? Is the gifts more important than the Giver? Who is listening to the Holy Spirit? Tell me, WHO?! Sure is alot of junk out there to get in the way. I'd venture to say no one is righteous, no not one. No act. No deed. No work. No membership certificate. The Holy Spirit speaks through men, and through His Word, and His instruction comes through God's Word....not people with new Revelations like Mohommed, Brigham Young, Charles Taze Russell, Ellen G White, or any other 'Prophet'.

I don't believe God was waiting for a day to call you out. I believe God called you out 'that' day. Never in the OT or NT does he call someone to train the go into His service later.....He calls them where they are, and when they respond, they go to work labouring in the fields that very day.
God has been using you since you were 18 and responded to Him Doug.

To those who do not understand, that's not my problem. I do know this though. God calls out prophets even today, and to the one who desire to be obedient, He trains. Whether one agrees with Him or not is not something that a true prophet concerns himself with.

God calls out people. God calls out servants. God calls out preachers and teachers and evangelists even today.

But Prophets? It really depends on how that word is defined.
If it is nothing more than a preacher of the Word, the sure, but it is a confusion of the term.
If it is the common definition of Revelator of new teachings that the Bible is insufficient and in complete in presenting itself...then I myself can't agree.

third hero
Oct 5th 2007, 03:22 PM
David,
The term prophet is defined as a messenger from God. Most of the prophets of old did not bring forth something that was previously unknown. Everyone knew from Genesis that a Messiah was to come. There had to be someone to show us the way. Your definition of a prophet, IMO, is that of a seer, or orator. It seemed to me that all of the prophets of old were those who brought the people back to God, and today's prophets are no exception. I have never heard anyone other than Lord Jesus who proclaimed something from the Torah and changed it. All of the other prophets upheld the Law, and the NT prophets must uphold the teachings of Lord Jesus, above all others. They are not to bring forth a new set of rules, nor are they to exult themselves above their Master.

Also, the whole business of foretelling the future, that was a sign so that those who heard that prophet's message would believe that it came from God.

Yes, I am a prophet. More accurately, a prophet in training. I have been in training for the last 12 years, and have been taught by God many things, and still learning much of the basics. (IN fact, all of these things which we talk about on these forums, God let me know that these are nothing more than the basics, now that's something). God has taught me many things, and told me to "wait for His call" some 8 years ago. Since then, I had learned many things and fallen from great heights, becasue my head ballooned because of all of the knowledge that He gave me. He has shown me various future events concerning my life and some of the people that I will meet. In fact, I am looking for 2 people, but I do not know if I will find them on the net, but I keep trying.

Why did I say all of this? because I know that there are not many who will honestly come up and say, "I am a prophet" without getting flambeiged by the people around him. Either that, or they are so balloon-headed that they will say a thing, and then, after it ends up being false, will work so hard to become what they can never be again.

I know that a prophet must be meek, and not be quick to mention a thing unless God reveals to him a prophecy. Only much interaction with the Lord can give someone this enlightenment. (Mainly, that time of interaction usually come from being in a quiet place, praying to the Lord, making time to hear His voic and talk to him). Many "prophets" claim some things and speak presumptuously, and they do not realize that their ministries are destroyed when they utter one false statement. A prophet must be 100% accurate, and he must bring forth the exact words of God. If he fails to do this but once, or if he teaches a thing that Jesus never taught, then he is in error, and his ministry is finished. If he attempts to continue, he is labeled a false prophet, and is to be ignored.

I do not know why I said all of this, other than so that people can understand what exactly it takes to be a prophet, if one is called to such an office. It is not easy, and the benefits stink, IMO. Want to be hated? If one confesses to be a prophet, it is guaranteed. I know that I will be under a lot more scrutiny now, but that's okay. If this is what it takes to have people see a true prophet at work, then so be it.

BTW, Martin Luther King Jr was a prophet, because he foretold his own death at the "Sermon on the MOunt", the last message HE had ever preached. The next day, he was assassinated. "My eyes have seen the Glory of the Lord".

ravi4u2
Oct 6th 2007, 04:35 AM
The word mostly used to describe prophets in OT is 'nabiy' which literally means a speaker. Someone who has a familiar conversational intercourse with God and to whom God made known His will. IN that sense, all of God's people are called to be prophets aren't they? Although prophets (both in the OT and NT) foretold, they most often forthtold; that is moved by the Holy Spirit they spoke, having power to instruct, comfort, encourage, rebuke, convict, and stimulate, their hearers as to how they measured up to God's Word and will.