PDA

View Full Version : Confused

trustingJC
Jun 23rd 2008, 03:13 AM
Hello All!

I am fairly new to this board and have only posted a couple of times. I really enjoy reading through the threads and have had a lot of questions answered.

I just have one little question that has been on my mind for a while and I was hoping someone would be able to clarify it for me.

My husband and I were watching the Billy Graham Classics a couple of weeks ago and I remember him making a point that once you ask God for forgiveness of your sins that God remembers that sin no more...( I know that Billy Graham said it more eloquently..but that is basically what he was saying). I totally agree with him. But, I then started to think about how it is said that when we die and go to heaven we will be held accountable for all of the sins that we have committed while on earth. Am I wrong there?

So here is my question and it is probably a silly one: Which is it? Does He forgive and forget? Or is it that we will have to be held accountable for the sins that we didn't ask forgiveness for? Both? Maybe I am making this a lot more harder to understand than it should be.

If anyone can show me some scriptures that would help that would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance! :)

Joe King
Jun 23rd 2008, 03:19 AM
We are cleansed by the blood of Jesus. It is those who don't acknowledge the sacrifice of Jesus who will be held accountable.

In the old testament The Israelites had their sin blotted out by the LORD Almighty directly.

Oma
Jun 23rd 2008, 03:43 AM
Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Rom 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

A believer's sins past, present, and future are forgiven once for all, but never forget that faith goes hand in hand with repentance thus showing we are forgiven and belong to Christ by a changed life.

Oma
Jun 23rd 2008, 03:52 AM
In the old testament The Israelites had their sin blotted out by the LORD Almighty directly.

Old Testament believers were saved that same way Christians are saved today only they looked forward to the Saviour to come. Under the old economy Christ was typified or shadowed by the animal sacrifices, tabernacle as well as all the feast days.

Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Buck shot
Jun 23rd 2008, 08:49 PM
Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Psalms 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Could have been either of these verses?

How far is the east from the west? Even in OT time, God knew we would one day be able to measure the north from the south but not the east from the west ;)

Sold Out
Jun 23rd 2008, 09:41 PM
Hello All!

I am fairly new to this board and have only posted a couple of times. I really enjoy reading through the threads and have had a lot of questions answered.

I just have one little question that has been on my mind for a while and I was hoping someone would be able to clarify it for me.

My husband and I were watching the Billy Graham Classics a couple of weeks ago and I remember him making a point that once you ask God for forgiveness of your sins that God remembers that sin no more...( I know that Billy Graham said it more eloquently..but that is basically what he was saying). I totally agree with him. But, I then started to think about how it is said that when we die and go to heaven we will be held accountable for all of the sins that we have committed while on earth. Am I wrong there?

So here is my question and it is probably a silly one: Which is it? Does He forgive and forget? Or is it that we will have to be held accountable for the sins that we didn't ask forgiveness for? Both? Maybe I am making this a lot more harder to understand than it should be.

In the eternal sense, we are delivered from the punishment (hell) of our sins by trusting in Jesus' atoning sacrifice. Our sins cannot be held against us because we have been justified (declared not guilty) of our sins.

After you are saved, however, you still continue to sin. The wonderful thing is that even those sins are paid for. All of our sins were future sins when Jesus died on the cross 2000 yrs ago. He died for our whole sin package, not just the sins we committed up to the day we got saved.

But....(and that's a big BUT), we will all stand at the judgment seat of Christ to answer for how we lived our lives after we got saved. We will be judged on our faithfulness to him to determine our rewards.

Teke
Jun 23rd 2008, 11:24 PM
Hello All!

Billy Graham is a wonderful evangelist. :)
His is the traditional teaching of the church, which is that if we believe (as in accept Christ) and are baptized our sins are washed away. However after baptism being cleaned up, we are then responsible if we become unclean from sin. The remedy for this is repentance which is always available to us to keep us in a sanctifying state.

The "washing of regeneration".
Tts 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

When one is knowledgeable about God and the Way, they are then responsible to bring forth fruit. Jesus states this fruit.
Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

servant of Lord
Jun 24th 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Everyone has put together wonderful scriptures to show us what this means ...

That was a good question also...
This is how I thought it was...

Yes, we are forgiven when we ask for forgiveness...but the way we conducted ourselves with His name sake will be judged..

when I stand before God on judgement day..my only plea could and will be the Blood of Christ..but is this an excuse to sin, certainly not..paul answered this ...it is not a reason to do as you desire and just walk anyway you want..the road is narrow...

so, yes we are to ask for forgiveness and repent of our sins..which means we strive toward righteousness..yet as sinners saved only through the Grace of God..no works will save you..but we are to be imitators of God and walk in His will..if we stray or if we fail ..in any manner we do have a Advocate with the Father-Jesus Christ..who can and will bring us back into fellowship with our Holy Father...

so, yes, He forgets our sins..but if we continue to walk in outward sinfullness ..then what ? say I asked God to forgive me for ---hum?--lets just say stealing..but I continue to say that I am a christian and yet I still continue to steal...dose this make it right ? will I be judged for sinning and taking the cross in vain ? I see that I would..I will be held responsiable for it...

But, I thank God that He is a forgiving Father and that through His son I can be cleasned and strengthened to walk away from those things that hold me back..I am far from perfect and need His Blood with every breath I take, I fear God and judgement ..but my only plea could be the Blood of Jesus ..cause My works are still fithly before God..if any works I have done or do then it is of God and not that of myself..it is to Him to be all glory for any good thing that this sinful one dose..

God Bless..

trustingJC
Jun 24th 2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you all for responding! Thank you also for the scriptures!

After praying last night to God asking Him to help me understand He led me to read Psalm 51. What a wonderful message! What an Awesome God we have! I get so giddy when I hear from Him!
The part of Psalm 51 that really stood out to me was verse 4...
Psalms 51:4 (amplified version)
Against You, You only, have I sinned and done that which is evil in Your sight, so that You are justified in Your sentence and faultless in Your judgement.

He then led me to read Romans 8 which is full of wonderful teachings as well.

You all have done a wonderful job with helping me understand too!
God Bless you all!:saint:

davidandme
Jun 24th 2008, 02:53 AM
I will look for Scriptures later. But I think God looks at a pattern of your overall Christian life. Not at every single sin that you have commited. Sometimes we sin and we are not really aware of it? How can we ask for forgiveness for a sin that we didn't even know that we commited? Besides, we are not saved by works. The motives for our works should be because we love Jesus and we want to help others. God bless.