PDA

View Full Version : Scripture about God "providing"?

Colossians 3:17
Jun 25th 2008, 03:22 AM
I do believe that God will always provide for me in one way or another; even though I have been taught this, I cannot cite any scripture that says so (I know it exists). Could yall show me some verses that say this?

Also, what if I was telling someone else about the concept of God providing for us and they responded with something like "well what about all the children in <x place> that are dying of starvation every day? How are they being provided for?"

How could I respond to that?

Thanks

Mograce2U
Jun 25th 2008, 04:23 AM
I do believe that God will always provide for me in one way or another; even though I have been taught this, I cannot cite any scripture that says so (I know it exists). Could yall show me some verses that say this?

Also, what if I was telling someone else about the concept of God providing for us and they responded with something like "well what about all the children in <x place> that are dying of starvation every day? How are they being provided for?"

ThanksI think I would ask them which ones they are supporting.

(Hosea 11:4 KJV) I drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love: and I was to them as they that take off the yoke on their jaws, and I laid meat unto them.

Oma
Jun 25th 2008, 04:28 AM
Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

But bear in mind that the Scripture also says:

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

So though we are to trust God that He will provide we are not to be lazy, but have to do our best in all we do.

Joe King
Jun 25th 2008, 06:57 AM
Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

How someone can read passages like these and wonder if there is a God and if he could love us, really baffles me:B:giveup:

walked
Jun 25th 2008, 01:51 PM
There are conditions to all of Gods promises to provide...the foremost condition is you must be doing your Father in heavens will (going about your Father in heavens business), He will provide for those who are doing that.

All of the promises found in Matt that where presented here on the thread all are set on a condition being met Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Any other promise that can be gleaned out of scripture is also going to be linked to a condition prefixed or suffixed to it, there are no free provisions from God.... with the exception of the free gift of salvation through Christ, but that too is conditional.

watchinginawe
Jun 25th 2008, 04:43 PM
I like and use these as a "matched pair":

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I can't deny it. God made provision for me even before I had understood my need!

God Bless!

Jun 25th 2008, 04:49 PM
Thank you for the Matthew 6 quote. No idea how I forgot about that one...It is an awesome passage.

Jun 25th 2008, 09:02 PM

So how does this apply to starving children in Africa that are dying every day?

Partaker of Christ
Jun 25th 2008, 10:03 PM
There are conditions to all of Gods promises to provide...the foremost condition is you must be doing your Father in heavens will (going about your Father in heavens business), He will provide for those who are doing that.

All of the promises found in Matt that where presented here on the thread all are set on a condition being met Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Any other promise that can be gleaned out of scripture is also going to be linked to a condition prefixed or suffixed to it, there are no free provisions from God.... with the exception of the free gift of salvation through Christ, but that too is conditional.

Hi Walked!

Matt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matt 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Matt 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Matt 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I don't think that our Father in Heaven withholds what we eat, drink and wear, as a prefixed condition.
If we seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, we will not worry about these things, as the Gentiles do.

calidog
Jun 25th 2008, 10:44 PM

ThanksYou don't. It's a trick from the enemy to trip you up. You just tell them I don't know, you'll have to ask God yourself because He promises that He is performing something good through everything bad the enemy is doing.

Also, remind them that God has not only provided for your needs but for theirs too.

Jun 25th 2008, 10:58 PM
You don't. It's a trick from the enemy to trip you up. You just tell them I don't know, you'll have to ask God yourself because He promises that He is performing something good through everything bad the enemy is doing.

Where does it say that in scripture?

calidog
Jun 25th 2008, 11:01 PM
Where does it say that in scripture?

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Gen 50:20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.

(as a side note satan entered Judas in order to do evil against Jesus, but satan was actually causing the fulfillment of prophecy that Gods' will for good to be accomplished)

walked
Jun 26th 2008, 06:26 AM
Hi Walked!

Matt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Matt 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Matt 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Matt 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Matt 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I don't think that our Father in Heaven withholds what we eat, drink and wear, as a prefixed condition.
If we seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, we will not worry about these things, as the Gentiles do.

Hi,
I see what you mean, and I agree with you.
But rain, sunshine, plants n animals growing is not a promise, it is by default going to rain and the sun is going to shine and plants n animals will grow because God created it to do so.
Also by default there is going to be starvation, murder, disease n sickness, war, poverty and pillaging because of the evil Satan introduced man to in this fallen world... no promises by God here either, other than these things will come and be with us.

I was trying to express that the prosperity doctrine so popular now days is misleading to the masses who don't study/feed on Gods word.
Misleading by presenting Gods promises of provision as being just hanging there on a tree ready for the picking of any who choose to pick and claim it for them self, when in truth Gods promises of provision are conditional, the condition being that you must first be obedient and going about doing His (Gods) will on earth to be blessed by His promises of provision.

Partaker of Christ
Jun 26th 2008, 08:02 PM
Hi,
I see what you mean, and I agree with you.
But rain, sunshine, plants n animals growing is not a promise, it is by default going to rain and the sun is going to shine and plants n animals will grow because God created it to do so.
Also by default there is going to be starvation, murder, disease n sickness, war, poverty and pillaging because of the evil Satan introduced man to in this fallen world... no promises by God here either, other than these things will come and be with us.

I was trying to express that the prosperity doctrine so popular now days is misleading to the masses who don't study/feed on Gods word.
Misleading by presenting Gods promises of provision as being just hanging there on a tree ready for the picking of any who choose to pick and claim it for them self, when in truth Gods promises of provision are conditional, the condition being that you must first be obedient and going about doing His (Gods) will on earth to be blessed by His promises of provision.

Hi Walked!

Thanks for the clarification, and I fully agree with you.

As for poverty, sickness, disease and murder in the world, It is a result of a God forsaken and sinful world.
If God intervened in all these situations, we would not see the damage that sin does, and we would not see our need to repent and turn to Him.