PDA

View Full Version : Why no peace from God?

Warrior4God
Jul 2nd 2008, 04:42 AM
I just want to know the answer to something. If God's forgiveness is so powerful and so permanent, why do I still feel like garbage about an affair I had a few years ago before becoming a Christian? Why do I twinge with guilt and shame anytime I hear somebody comment about adultery, like they are talking about me, even when I know they aren't? Why does "forgiveness" from God not comfort me and take away the burden I bear? I know in my mind He has forgiven me. Why does it not "feel" that way to me? Why am I not feeling the joy and peace I'm supposed to be feeling? It almost seems like God's forgiveness is a cruel joke... "I forgive you. I just won't let you really believe it, though." :mad: It almost seems like it was a waste of time to repent. I don't mean that it would have been ok to continue the adultery. I just mean it almost seems like it was pointless outside of that to repent, though. I don't mean to sound harsh. I am just being honest.

Sold Out
Jul 2nd 2008, 02:54 PM
I just want to know the answer to something. If God's forgiveness is so powerful and so permanent, why do I still feel like garbage about an affair I had a few years ago before becoming a Christian? Why do I twinge with guilt and shame anytime I hear somebody comment about adultery, like they are talking about me, even when I know they aren't? Why does "forgiveness" from God not comfort me and take away the burden I bear? I know in my mind He has forgiven me. Why does it not "feel" that way to me? Why am I not feeling the joy and peace I'm supposed to be feeling? It almost seems like God's forgiveness is a cruel joke... "I forgive you. I just won't let you really believe it, though." :mad: It almost seems like it was a waste of time to repent. I don't mean that it would have been ok to continue the adultery. I just mean it almost seems like it was pointless outside of that to repent, though. I don't mean to sound harsh. I am just being honest.

First, God promised to forgive you when you asked for it. The problem is not God, but you. You don't have faith that He did. Faith is not feelings. You think that because you don't FEEL forgiven, that you aren't. Take God at His Word and have faith (not feelings) that He forgave you.

Secondly, Satan is the accuser of the brethren. He will bring this to your mind again and again and again to torment you. I used to suffer from the same thing for the same reason you are. I struggled for many years with the tormenting thoughts, wondering if it was because I was not forgiven or I didn't ask the right way, etc.

The Apostle Paul said this in Phillipians 3:13, "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,"

The Apostle Paul had plenty to be regretful for. He consented to the death of Christians! But this is what he learned - he couldn't move forward if he kept looking back. Stop looking back. I laid claim to this verse and I keep it fresh in my mind when Satan tries to torment me.

Faith is not feelings. Faith is taking God's Word over your own. Remember, if you asked for forgiveness, you have it. Stop tugging at your Heavenly Father's pants leg. If He said it, it's done.

Slug1
Jul 2nd 2008, 03:03 PM
I just want to know the answer to something. If God's forgiveness is so powerful and so permanent, why do I still feel like garbage about an affair I had a few years ago before becoming a Christian? Why do I twinge with guilt and shame anytime I hear somebody comment about adultery, like they are talking about me, even when I know they aren't? Why does "forgiveness" from God not comfort me and take away the burden I bear? I know in my mind He has forgiven me. Why does it not "feel" that way to me? Why am I not feeling the joy and peace I'm supposed to be feeling? It almost seems like God's forgiveness is a cruel joke... "I forgive you. I just won't let you really believe it, though." :mad: It almost seems like it was a waste of time to repent. I don't mean that it would have been ok to continue the adultery. I just mean it almost seems like it was pointless outside of that to repent, though. I don't mean to sound harsh. I am just being honest.It's because you haven't forgiven yourself yet, which allows satan to keep the guilt heaped up on top of you.

daughter
Jul 2nd 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi aaron35. The reason is, that you're still in rebellion against God, and listening to the enemy. I don't mean that you're not a Christian, obviously you are. But you have unforgiveness in your life, you're listening to the devil, and he's got you to a place now where you're actually blaming God for how you feel.

I've done this kind of thing myself, and I'm sure every Christian out there has done, so I'm not being mean. But do you hear yourself say "if God..." "cruel joke..." When we're under spiritual attack it often starts with an "if"... look how satan spoke to Jesus (if you are the son of God) or to Eve "did He really say..."

You know that there are no ifs or maybes with God, you know when He says something He means it. So this negativity is something that doesn't come from God. Don't blame Him. Repent of it, and rebuke it in Jesus' name. God has forgiven you. Now, stop rebelling and let go of your guilt - the devil has no hold on you. Don't let him force you to wallow in your past mistakes. Look to the cross, not to yourself.

Warrior4God
Jul 3rd 2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks to all for the replies thus far. It has given me much to ponder on. Perhaps I will receive more to help me...

Warrior4God
Jul 3rd 2008, 01:40 AM
It's because you haven't forgiven yourself yet, which allows satan to keep the guilt heaped up on top of you.

It's a strong grip on me. I absolutely hated adultery (and those that committed it) and the pain it causes people, and this was how I felt before I was even a Christian. Then what did I go and do? I HAD AN AFFAIR!!! The self-hatred is immense. In my fleshly way of thinking, I don't deserve forgiveness from God, even though I repented from the adultery and He wants to extend forgiveness. It's almost like, "Well, God can forgive me if He wants, but that's His problem. I wouldn't extend forgiveness to my wife if she cheated on me, so why should I get a break from her and God? If they won't hate me and hold my sin against me, I will!" I know that's very negative and sad thinking, but it's really how I feel about the situation...:blush:

Slug1
Jul 3rd 2008, 03:23 AM
It's a strong grip on me. I absolutely hated adultery (and those that committed it) and the pain it causes people, and this was how I felt before I was even a Christian. Then what did I go and do? I HAD AN AFFAIR!!! The self-hatred is immense. In my fleshly way of thinking, I don't deserve forgiveness from God, even though I repented from the adultery and He wants to extend forgiveness. It's almost like, "Well, God can forgive me if He wants, but that's His problem. I wouldn't extend forgiveness to my wife if she cheated on me, so why should I be cut a break from her and God? If they won't hate me and hold my sin against me, I will!" I know that's very negative and sad thinking, but it's really how I feel about the situation...:blush:Ask God to show you "how" to forgive yourself.

cheech
Jul 3rd 2008, 03:49 AM
I don't know which is harder...to forgive someone else or to forgive ourselves. But the fact that you find it hard to forgive yourself is indeed a stronghold the enemy holds on you to keep you bound and unable to move forward. What he doesn't want you to know is that by forgiving yourself (or others) it frees you from the bondage of guilt, anger, depression, or whatever else you may be suffering from.

The fact is...if you repented and confessed this sin, then God can and does forgive you. You don't feel the joy, peace and comfort you want not because God is withholding it from you, but because you won't allow yourself to feel it. You are still believing the lies of the enemy (all the negative thoughts), you are still unforgiving (of yourself), and you have determined that you are unforgivable.

We all have come across these feelings in one way or another, but there comes a time when you have to stop believing the lies the enemy is telling you (God is playing a trick on you...doesn't want to see you feel forgiveness, doesn't forgive you, etc) and start believing what the Lord is telling you:

Matthew 12:31
And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Colossians 3:13
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Remember the woman in the Bible that was brought to Jesus because she was committing adultery and the men wanted to stone her?

John 8:10-11
10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

So if Jesus can forgive her, he will forgive you. The difference between you and her is that she believed His words...you don't.

Put on your armor and fight the enemy that wishes to continue keeping you in chains. Pray daily, read God's word daily, and constantly remind yourself God has forgiven you and you are going to forgive yourself. We all make mistakes. Learn from it and move on or you will remain in your chains forever.

peacebringer
Jul 6th 2008, 11:04 PM
It's a strong grip on me. I absolutely hated adultery (and those that committed it) and the pain it causes people, and this was how I felt before I was even a Christian. Then what did I go and do? I HAD AN AFFAIR!!! The self-hatred is immense. In my fleshly way of thinking, I don't deserve forgiveness from God, even though I repented from the adultery and He wants to extend forgiveness. It's almost like, "Well, God can forgive me if He wants, but that's His problem. I wouldn't extend forgiveness to my wife if she cheated on me, so why should I get a break from her and God? If they won't hate me and hold my sin against me, I will!" I know that's very negative and sad thinking, but it's really how I feel about the situation...:blush:

I agree with what Slug and others have said but will expand wants.
You are stating here that the problem is deeper then just not forgiving yourself, you cannot even really accept God's forgiveness. It seem in your mind your sin is so terrible and horrible that you DON'T WANT forgiveness. Not from God, not from you. Guess what you sinned. Your sin before God is not any worse then any other idol we chase after. You will not be at peace until you accept what God did and can forgive yourself. Peace comes through surrender. Our Peace is in Jesus Our Messiah. He paid it all. You need to step out of your Kingdom and submit to your Lord of Lords and walk as he directs. When you follow His path and walk in His ways, then there is peace. As it is written, the secret to contentment is "With God all things are possible." It is possible for you to accept forgiveness and forgive yourself. You are the only one in the way. And yes, as long as you fail to submit, the Enemy will have power to accuse.

TrustingFollower
Jul 6th 2008, 11:20 PM
Aaron35, I don't have any advise for you that you have not already been given. Cheech and Slug are good council for you here. I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you in this matter.

threebigrocks
Jul 8th 2008, 05:09 PM

Aaron, why heap up on yourself what God has removed? I struggled with the exact same thing you are struggling with. I was crushed by my own actions, and just couldn't let go. I thought it would hang there almost like a neon sign over my head forever. It was like I could see it, just hanging there. I'd been forgiven, but couldn't see how something so horrible would ever leave me being okay again. I was horrible, nasty. I did something that was aborrhent.

Thing is - God finally showed me that He was enough. What my flesh did was fleshy. What my spirit already had was forgiveness. Aaron, as a Christian - what is the nature of our spirit NOW, today?

1 Peter 3

18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Romans 8

9However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
10If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
12So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh--

13for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

If you live and carry what the flesh has brought, it dampens how we are to live according to the Spirit in Christ. Our flesh is dead when we are reborn of the Spirit, and now we simply await the death of our flesh so that sin and the works of the flesh will end. We are alive in the Spirit.

1 Peter 3

18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Satan will attack what is living in Christ to bring you down, back into the nature of the old man. That is what he is doing with you now. He wants you to be in bondage to what your flesh has done. I know that you know that if the Spirit is covered under the rigteousness of Christ you are free. He died so that our flesh couldn't weigh us down and keep us in sin.

Pray hard Aaron - ask God to remove these thoughts of you deserving condemnation, to remove all that is not of Him in your thoughts, to make your thoughts void of what He has already overcome! Cling to Him and His victory over the sin of the flesh. Tell those thoughts to leave when they are there to condemn. It's an attack Aaron, and satan will not attack what is already dead, only what keeps you alive and close to Christ.

James 4

7Submit therefore to God Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

1 Thessolonias 5

16Rejoice always;

17pray without ceasing; 18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Pray, like you have never prayed Aaron. :) That is our greatest weapon in putting on the armour of God. Keeping you in prayer for strength and living in what is freedom through the Spirit. Know that freedom is real. :pray::pray:

cdo
Jul 8th 2008, 05:54 PM

Hi Arran35,
My heart goes out to you and you have my prayers .Remember God is not a liar ,what HE says HE means. This is what satan does,he put doubts in our mind.
It's only a cruel joke,correction:satan's device which is cruel!!! BUT not from GOD!!! GOD has bestowed HIS MERCY and GRACE and FORGIVENESS to YOU!!!:ppIt's your turn to except HIS loving forgiveness.Renew your mind with God's Word and rebuke satan in Jesus name,,,,he has to flee in the name of Jesus.
Be Blessed,,,cdo

Warrior4God
Jul 10th 2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks to all who have posted. Everything written is what I need to hear. :hug:

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 12th 2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe it's also bcause you just can't quite understand His forgiveness, meaning you don't really know God and Hios mercy to the fullest extend yet. It's hard to let things like that go, when you're not sure God would truly forgive.
This then creates a cycle of beating yourself up for it. It's kind of like a self punishment.

And it really doesn't accomplish anything. The best thing one can do when they realized they screwed up, is to stand up for the wrong, make amends, and learn from the experience and go on to not ever do it again.

Not sure that helps, but it's what i was led to write.

Tanja

Warrior4God
Jul 12th 2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe it's also bcause you just can't quite understand His forgiveness, meaning you don't really know God and Hios mercy to the fullest extend yet. It's hard to let things like that go, when you're not sure God would truly forgive.
This then creates a cycle of beating yourself up for it. It's kind of like a self punishment.

And it really doesn't accomplish anything. The best thing one can do when they realized they screwed up, is to stand up for the wrong, make amends, and learn from the experience and go on to not ever do it again.

Not sure that helps, but it's what i was led to write.

Tanja

Thanks. All you wrote here is useful. I appreciate your input. :D

Friend of I AM
Jul 13th 2008, 12:23 AM

It's difficult for us to come to terms with the capacity of God's love at times, so sometimes it takes a while for us to come to terms with the fact that God has forgiven us. I know David harbored his guilt over his affair with Bathsheba for a long time, but at some point I believe he eventually took it away. I'll pray that God purifies your conscience for you and helps you move forward in your walk.

Stephen

bestillknowgod
Aug 5th 2008, 02:56 AM

My friend,

Stop beating yourself up. You are holding some judgement that will eventually destroy you - but of course you are free to let it go! I'd like to take you back to the time before you committed your deed for a moment. You mentioned that you've always hated adultery and those who committed it. I suspect someone close to you was involved is that sort of arrangement and it was portrayed to you as a terrible thing and probably brought a lot of misery to you. You could not be blamed for developing a very harsh judgment toward that kind of behavior. However I encourage you to inquire of yourself how that has served you? In my time I have seen some very interesting situations where individuals hated a particular "crime" and eventually committed it themselves or their children committed it. This usually brings a person to a break-down point where some serious introspection is required. Your problem is not about or around forgiveness. It's the judgments you have made about adultery and those who commit it. For if you have condemned those in the past who committed such a crime, you have judged yourself likewise - so that when you committed that same "crime" you can accept nothing less than that same judgement. It is not God who can't forgive. It is the belief that you love so much that adulterers are bad and wrong that keeps you separated from God and the forgiveness He holds out. When you can love those who fail in this way, love yourself, then you can FEEL God's great mercy and forgiveness.

What will you lose if you give up the belief that adulterers are bad?

Who will you become if you give up that belief?

Where would you place King David because of his relation with Bathsheba?

Perhaps it is time to give up the beliefs that don't serve you and adopt the mind of Christ.

Pardon me if I sound harsh.

Blessings,

bestillknowgod

livingwaters
Aug 5th 2008, 03:26 AM
Depression, fear, oppression, guilt - these are from Satan.

Salvation love, comfort, forgiveness, shelter from the storms, joy, peace, and many, many more are from God. Trust in the Lord.

Feelings can get you into trouble. Tell Satan to take a hike, in Jesus' name. He has got to flee. Satan has no authority over us unless we give it to him. Chin up, my fellow Christian. I'll be waiting for an update. Keep your thought on things of "above" or Heaven!!!!:pray:

Warrior4God
Aug 6th 2008, 01:51 AM
Interesting posts thus far. I think I hold such harsh judgment against those that commit adultery, including myself, because I know firsthand the immense pain such bad behavior brings to the one cheated on. Nobody deserves it. I know God can forgive adultery, as well as the one cheated on can forgive too, but there is so much damage that comes from infidelity, and some of it will last a lifetime. It's called sowing and reaping. God's forgiveness doesn't always erase the consequences for our sins here on earth. Sometimes we have to live with the wreckage we created. It may lessen in time, but it often is permanent. I'm not saying God's forgiveness is worthless. I'm just saying it would have been so much better if I hadn't cheated on my wife. It would have been one less thing Christ had to hang on the cross for.

RoadWarrior
Aug 6th 2008, 02:39 AM
Interesting posts thus far. I think I hold such harsh judgment against those that commit adultery, including myself, because I know firsthand the immense pain such bad behavior brings to the one cheated on. Nobody deserves it. I know God can forgive adultery, as well as the one cheated on can forgive too, but there is so much damage that comes from infidelity, and some of it will last a lifetime. It's called reaping and sowing. God's forgiveness doesn't always erase the consequences for our sins here on earth. Sometimes we have to live with the wreckage we created. It may lessen in time, but it often is permanent. I'm not saying God's forgiveness is worthless. I'm just saying it would have so much better if I hadn't cheated on my wife. It would have been one less thing Christ had to hang on the cross for.

The consequences remain. Forgiveness does not mean that the thing did not happen. It happened. It did harm. Sometimes the harm cannot be undone, and we walk with a limp for the rest of our lives. This is one of the reasons we can be so much in awe of God's forgiveness toward us.

Our sins are so horrendous, that even we can look back and be horrified that we did them. But looking back is not a good thing to do. Jesus is not back there in the mess. He is ahead of us, leading us out of the mess and toward the light. As we walk toward Him, with Him, the mess falls away. Look back, and the mess clings, and drags us backward.

Keep your eyes on Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
in the light of His mercy and grace.

Have you confessed your sin to Him? Have you asked His forgiveness? Have you asked Him to show you if there is anything you need to do, to make amends?

If you are still in your marriage, and your wife has forgiven you, the best amends you can make is to focus on being the best possible husband to her, in gratitude for her mercy toward you. And the same process is how you are to be toward God. He has forgiven you, your response is to be the most grateful and obedient Christian you can be.

As you draw near to your wife, she will draw near to you.

As you draw near to God, God draws near to you.

Then do not spend time reminding your wife, or God, or yourself, that you sinned. Satan is the one who does that, and you need to stop listening to him.

It is in the past, and all three of you deserve a new start. "For those sins", Jesus would remind you, "I died." You must also die to your sins and be raised to newness of life.

bestillknowgod
Aug 8th 2008, 11:56 AM
Interesting posts thus far. I think I hold such harsh judgment against those that commit adultery, including myself, because I know firsthand the immense pain such bad behavior brings to the one cheated on. Nobody deserves it. I know God can forgive adultery, as well as the one cheated on can forgive too, but there is so much damage that comes from infidelity, and some of it will last a lifetime. It's called sowing and reaping. God's forgiveness doesn't always erase the consequences for our sins here on earth. Sometimes we have to live with the wreckage we created. It may lessen in time, but it often is permanent. I'm not saying God's forgiveness is worthless. I'm just saying it would have been so much better if I hadn't cheated on my wife. It would have been one less thing Christ had to hang on the cross for.

I just really noticed your avatar - looks like a devil stomping on a man who views himself a loser - you?

The judgment you're holding onto that makes your sin unforgivable and the consequences eternal have you in hell - fair? - with the devil keeping you beat down!

Remember the story in John 8 where Jesus dealt with a woman caught in adultery. His final words to her were "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." That indicates a clean slate going forward - That is "The truth that sets you free" if you can receive it.

Jesus' message was alway valuable only to those who could receive it. The difference in those who can receive the healing, forgiveness, and restoration and those who can't is the judgement they place upon themselves.

While I know you feel justified in the judgements you have made about your situation, I would encourage you to list them on a piece of paper and then spend some time with each one and ask how they serve you?

Inquire if any of them are bigger than God. Ask yourself which ones have brought peace to you. Then determine which ones are true - truth that sets you free. (Truth always creates freedom for those who accept it.) Then look at each belief/judgment with the possibility in mind of letting that go and see how that feels. What are you afraid of if you let that go? Is God asking something from you that you're avoiding by hanging on to them?

Your original question was "Why no peace from God?" Can you see some answers to that now?

Judgments keep us stuck in separation from God. That's just one reason Jesus advised not to get into that kind of thing!

Blessings,

bestillknowgod
There's more on the blog I just started about the story in John 8 if you're interested.

Warrior4God
Aug 9th 2008, 03:30 AM
I just really noticed your avatar - looks like a devil stomping on a man who views himself a loser - you?

The judgment you're holding onto that makes your sin unforgivable and the consequences eternal have you in hell - fair? - with the devil keeping you beat down!

Remember the story in John 8 where Jesus dealt with a woman caught in adultery. His final words to her were "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." That indicates a clean slate going forward - That is "The truth that sets you free" if you can receive it.

Jesus' message was alway valuable only to those who could receive it. The difference in those who can receive the healing, forgiveness, and restoration and those who can't is the judgement they place upon themselves.

While I know you feel justified in the judgements you have made about your situation, I would encourage you to list them on a piece of paper and then spend some time with each one and ask how they serve you?

Inquire if any of them are bigger than God. Ask yourself which ones have brought peace to you. Then determine which ones are true - truth that sets you free. (Truth always creates freedom for those who accept it.) Then look at each belief/judgment with the possibility in mind of letting that go and see how that feels. What are you afraid of if you let that go? Is God asking something from you that you're avoiding by hanging on to them?

Your original question was "Why no peace from God?" Can you see some answers to that now?

Judgments keep us stuck in separation from God. That's just one reason Jesus advised not to get into that kind of thing!

Blessings,

bestillknowgod
There's more on the blog I just started about the story in John 8 if you're interested.

Thanks for the post. You had quite a bit of good stuff to say. About the avatar...actually, it's depicting the devil throwing a temper tantrum and stomping on the word "loser" with an arrow pointing in his direction. Satan is the loser. :D

bestillknowgod
Aug 10th 2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for explaining your avatar! Had me wondering!

Here's what came to me after reading your explananation.

Judgment doesn't care where it's directed - it's still judgment. So if we judge the devil a loser, a bad dude in any form are we justified because he's the devil?

Does the advice of Jesus "Judge not" apply even here?

I mean his fate is sealed - so you could say he's already judged. So anything we would add to the sentence really won't alter the outcome, but what does it do for us?

I suppose that's the real question in all of our examining..... How does this serve us? Does it bring greater peace, unconditional love, joy, etc...

Thanks for giving me something interesting to mull over!

bestillknowgod