PDA

View Full Version : Bringing God up in conversation?

Tourist
Jul 2nd 2008, 07:05 AM
So, I was talking with a few of my friends around the campfire the other day, and the subject of church came up. I quickly realized that one of my friends, a guy who I have known for pretty much my whole life (only 16 yrs) has absolutely no clue what the Christian faith is all about. Myself being a Christian for most of my life, I found this pretty troubling, however I have been taught forcing you're religion on people is not the right way to go about doing things.
So, I went to my pastor to ask how I should go about talking to non-Christians about Jesus. He replied by showing me 1st Peter 3:15:
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But to this with gentleness and respect", and he emphasizes I am to give an answer if they ask, not to force it on anyone.

My problem is this: This friend of mine is not interested in the least, and he never brings up anything to do with my faith or God. If i do try to bring it into conversation, the conversation just turns away and if I do not introduce it nothing happens.

I have recently understood the importance for praying for my friends, but nothing seems to be changing. They are not interested, and I am still at a loss of how I can be a witness to them. Any advice?

apothanein kerdos
Jul 2nd 2008, 07:15 AM
So, I was talking with a few of my friends around the campfire the other day, and the subject of church came up. I quickly realized that one of my friends, a guy who I have known for pretty much my whole life (only 16 yrs) has absolutely no clue what the Christian faith is all about. Myself being a Christian for most of my life, I found this pretty troubling, however I have been taught forcing you're religion on people is not the right way to go about doing things.
So, I went to my pastor to ask how I should go about talking to non-Christians about Jesus. He replied by showing me 1st Peter 3:15:
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But to this with gentleness and respect", and he emphasizes I am to give an answer if they ask, not to force it on anyone.

My problem is this: This friend of mine is not interested in the least, and he never brings up anything to do with my faith or God. If i do try to bring it into conversation, the conversation just turns away and if I do not introduce it nothing happens.

I have recently understood the importance for praying for my friends, but nothing seems to be changing. They are not interested, and I am still at a loss of how I can be a witness to them. Any advice?

Everyone has an opinion on something. The best way to get someone to open up to the Gospel is to question them on their own beliefs. Whenever he gets upset about something in society, or if something has happened to him and he declares it to be wrong, ask him how he knows its wrong. Bring him to the point where he realizes he has no justification for saying something is wrong, yet is still right in saying it's wrong.

From there just say, "you know, within Christianity this is wrong because..." and leave it there. it leaves open the door for him to realize that Christianity will offer answers to the questions he has.

RJ Mac
Jul 2nd 2008, 03:00 PM
So how does one bring about a discussion concerning God with friends?
If we ask our friends,"How's your health?" They will usually respond in
the positive, and ask us back, "Good, how you doing?' If there is something
serious they are struggling with, depending on the quality of friendship we
share, they will tell us or keep it to themselves. I don't know of many that
take great offense when your asking them how they are.

But why not ask, "How's your spiritual life?" Again not an offensive question,
one showing concern, but easily dodged, "Good how's yours" If they want
to talk the doors been open by you, if they close it, don't push it. But in
this way they may talk about their new age experience, or looking into
Islam, opportunity to share what you know, never condemning but
approaching with curiosity always ask them questions,
never giving answers but recommending where you find the answer, in God's word.

Best done on a one on one, never with a crowd, the jokers love to make
fun of everything and the seriousness of the conversation is lost. If they
want to continue it will be up to them, at least they know they can
come to you and you are a sounding board for them.

"So how's your spiritual health?"

RJ

Joe King
Jul 2nd 2008, 04:18 PM
It is fantastic that you are witnessing to your friends. I know it's hard. It seems the last thing people want to talk about is God (even most Christians). A lot of people want to focus on the needless things of this world instead. You can be talking about God but if someone talks about who is sleeping with who, or where they went to party over the weekend, their attention turns to that instead. I've had people who have straight out not believed and told me so and I tried my best to witness to them. I just ended up saying that if you ever have ANY questions on ANY THING, read the bible.

cheech
Jul 2nd 2008, 07:49 PM
Sounds like my family :lol:. They go to church but for some reason you mention God and they only talk for so long and then the topic moves on...so long being a couple minutes...except my mom...I can get her talking for at least 5 minutes! :D

The one thing I can tell you is not to stop praying. I have a friend from church who has been praying for years for God to melt her son and daughter's hearts and for them to become saved. On Saturday her daughter was baptized and on Sunday her son accepted Christ. Both adults. She never stopped ceasing in the prayer department. She never stopped witnessing to them.

God doesn't work in our time frame, he works in his. He hears your prayers just fine, but his plans for people are different than what we want it to be. We want quick responses but during the time from when we aren't saved to when we are saved, God is working on that person in many ways. That is their learning time. They may go through difficulties but those difficulties will be their lessons.

Never stop praying for people and witnessing just because you aren't seeing results. You are planting seeds and watering. It's not easy to talk to someone when they clearly could care less about the topic especially when it has to do with God...but throwing in seeds here and there will make them think. The one thing that is necessary is your testimony. How God has helped you. Say you have been having an argument with a friend and she was dead set against being friends with you and you prayed continuously for God to help your situation. Then one day she calls you up and apologizes out of the blue. That would be a wonderful testimony to share...any time something happens and you know it's from God. It's things like these that get people thinking...how God has worked in a person's life.

acacia_gold
Jul 3rd 2008, 07:59 PM
Sitting around a campfire and the subject turns to church, what do you say?

Asking "So who do you think Jesus is/was?" usually gets a good response.

It identifies immediately who already belongs to Christ

It's non threatening

It's a great topic

Tourist
Jul 3rd 2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks, seems like good advice

givemegrace
Jul 3rd 2008, 08:12 PM
My Pastor gave this advice - If the people aint interested in the gospel take those people to God. Keep praying and never give up.....:pray: We cant change people but God can. Pray for their hearts to be open and let them see Jesus shine out of you. In Gods perfect time.

acacia_gold
Jul 3rd 2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks, seems like good adviceI find that keeping the topic on Jesus helps to keep it away from the new age/ JW/ you name it diversions too :cool:

Tourist
Jul 6th 2008, 04:59 AM
I find that keeping the topic on Jesus helps to keep it away from the new age/ JW/ you name it diversions too :cool:
Funny you should say that, one of my friends who I have actually seen the most progress in constantly talks about new age stuff, and I wasn't sure how to respond. I will keeping it on Jesus and see how that goes, thanks!

Butch5
Jul 6th 2008, 09:51 PM

Hi Tourist,

What did the apostles do? Did they sit by and wait for the topic to come up? I know it is difficult sometimes to bring it up, but to sit and wait for it to come up on it's own is not the best way because as you have seen it doesn't happen often.

Mograce2U
Jul 7th 2008, 01:20 AM
Hi Tourist,
While you are praying for your friends it may help to keep in mind that prayer is more likely to change YOU. You are the one needing strength and boldness if you are to witness. And there is no better way to gain confidence than thru your own testimony of what God has done for you. You should also be familiar with scripture as they are a great source to interject that the bible speaks about every subject men may discuss. Don't be afraid to quote a scripture AND exegete it to them. The reason for the hope that you have is found there; therefore it is scripture that they need to hear. It is the hearing of the word of God by which faith comes (Rom 10:17). So don't neglect the source of the power that you have available to change lives. When you begin to think biblically, it will flow naturally from your lips.

JohnD777
Jul 7th 2008, 01:25 AM
I find that simply living for Jesus brings up God and Church and salvation and faith... and ridicule and mockery and people who you thought were your friends shunning you. But that's ok. It's a purging process. Because Christian friends will gravitate to you instead.

About your friend specifically, you must consider that they are not cut out of the same cloth as you are... look at Jacob and his twin brother Esau. One was spiritual and the other couldn't care less about spiritual matters. I am not saying give up on your friend, I am saying don't give up but be prepared to have a wedge driven between you two. Sometimes many years after the fact people like your friend will come to a saving faith in Christ... and the faithful prayers of one who sees no results over the years is sometimes partly responsible.

Tourist
Jul 7th 2008, 02:12 AM
I find that simply living for Jesus brings up God and Church and salvation and faith... and ridicule and mockery and people who you thought were your friends shunning you. But that's ok. It's a purging process. Because Christian friends will gravitate to you instead.

About your friend specifically, you must consider that they are not cut out of the same cloth as you are... look at Jacob and his twin brother Esau. One was spiritual and the other couldn't care less about spiritual matters. I am not saying give up on your friend, I am saying don't give up but be prepared to have a wedge driven between you two. Sometimes many years after the fact people like your friend will come to a saving faith in Christ... and the faithful prayers of one who sees no results over the years is sometimes partly responsible.
Yeah, thats fair. I guess patience is another thing I am being given to work on ;)

dan
Jul 7th 2008, 04:47 AM
...Magic. Everyone likes magic, right?

I bring up historical comparisons to Prophecy, and archaeological findings that show that "stuff" happened.

I like the pictures of "Red Sea Crossing" and "Noah's Ark" at the Anchorstone.com site, even though many criticize the author.

http://www.anchorstone.com/component/option,com_rsgallery2/Itemid,116/catid,2/

http://www.anchorstone.com/component/option,com_rsgallery2/Itemid,116/catid,1/