PDA

View Full Version : Liberal or fundamentalist.............

Rocking horse
Jul 6th 2008, 02:42 PM
Seeing as I seem to be spending most of my time in this room, I'll ask my question here.

Do you consider yourself to be a bit on the .... liberal.....side of Christianity or are you more...
fundamentalist ?

Me, I'm a bit on the liberal side.

Rocky.

daughter
Jul 6th 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm a bigotted fundementalist... apparently!

Rocking horse
Jul 6th 2008, 03:06 PM
I'm a bigotted fundementalist... apparently!

A bigotted fundy.....now that's an interesting answer...........

Does that mean you don't like anyone who isn't a fundy ?? Or is that a tag others have given you....

Rocky

Vhayes
Jul 6th 2008, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty much fundamentalist with mainstream beliefs although I have a few personal beliefs that are pretty far out there.

daughter
Jul 6th 2008, 03:12 PM
A bigotted fundy.....now that's an interesting answer...........

Does that mean you don't like anyone who isn't a fundy ?? Or is that a tag others have given you....

Rocky
It's something others have called me. For a while I attended a Christian group for meals and fellowship, once a week. But it became apparent that they didn't believe in hell, or that humankind is endemically sinful, which made me wonder what they thought Christ died for. Last week they said that their remit was to "make God culturally relevant," which I found shockingly blasphemous (God is the only relevancy in the universe, after all). They believe hardly any of the Bible, and they think, for example, that God's Holy Spirit is already poured out on "all flesh", including Muslims, Hindus, etc... When I disagreed with them on their theory that "hell is not important" I discovered that my "fundy" views were considered "narrow minded and bigotted."

I only ask if a thing is true. :rolleyes:

Anyway. I'm pretty fundementalist in my views. Some folks think that means I'm a bigot. I'd hope that's not the case!

Rocking horse
Jul 6th 2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation....and I've just read your testimony and all I can say is...WOW.

I'm sure heaven is still rejoicing over you.

Smiles,

Rocky

talitha
Jul 6th 2008, 06:41 PM
I am neither, but I can identify with being labeled a fundamentalist. Fundamentalists don't claim Charismatics as their own, FYI.....

LadyinWaiting
Jul 6th 2008, 08:09 PM
I classify myself as an evangelistic Christ follower.

I take the Bible as it appears in it's appropriate context. Whatever label can be attributed to that, that's me.

sometimesno
Jul 6th 2008, 11:00 PM
i am a christian fundamentalist

Ninna
Jul 6th 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm definitely not liberal so it would be fundamentalist.

aaalynn
Jul 6th 2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry to seem dumb, but how would you define a fundamentalist?

Ninna
Jul 6th 2008, 11:47 PM
Here is a definition of fundamentalism from dictionary.com:

a movement in American Protestantism that arose in the early part of the 20th century in reaction to modernism and that stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals but also as a literal historical record, holding as essential to Christian faith belief in such doctrines as the creation of the world, the virgin birth, physical resurrection, atonement by the sacrificial death of Christ, and the Second Coming.

Saved7
Jul 7th 2008, 01:34 AM
hmmm, it would appear that you've gotten yourself mixed up with a bunch of fundy's.:saint: Myself also being a narrow minded fundy.:lol: But hey, it was Christ who said that narrow is the path that leads to life, and wide is the path that leads to destruction, so narrow it is!! :D

cnw
Jul 7th 2008, 01:41 AM
I tend to do all I can to be Holy as God commanded me to be and walk in righteousness- call it what you will. I see liberalism as walking in a gray area if you call yourself a Christian and God said be black or white, don't ride the fence so to speak. You either walk in sin or you don't.
but this has only been my view for a few years.
Am I way out there or are you really saying "dem or rep" haha.

DanceswithGod
Jul 7th 2008, 02:27 AM
I am a fundamentalist

h2jo
Jul 7th 2008, 02:36 AM
What is the difference between liberal and fundamentalist? I always thought it was just believe Christ died on the cross for my sins and rose again.. I had no idea there there were little tags along with christianity like a liberal christian or a fundamental christian :confused

Whispering Grace
Jul 7th 2008, 03:11 AM
I am very conservative and fundamentalist.

FoG
Jul 7th 2008, 03:22 AM
I am very conservative and fundamentalist.

I am too..... :yes:

SirTanTee
Jul 7th 2008, 03:25 AM
To spice things up a bit here, I am liberal like no other. I'm probably too liberal to really consider myself a Christian, actually...I'm working on it.

P.S. - This is my first post in the woman's forum. I don't want anyone to be misled by my username: I actually am female. ;) "SirTanTee" is just a play on a word.

Rocking horse
Jul 7th 2008, 03:28 AM
hmmm, it would appear that you've gotten yourself mixed up with a bunch of fundy's.:saint: Myself also being a narrow minded fundy.:lol: But hey, it was Christ who said that narrow is the path that leads to life, and wide is the path that leads to destruction, so narrow it is!! :D

Yeah you're right....it seems I might be in deep water....lol....will have to watch my tongue..lol...actually I'd already gathered most of you were fundys...but that's ok...God loves us all....even fundys....rofl..!!!

The way I'm liberal probably has more to do with the fact that I don't really care what others think or believe...... I have my views on Christianity and I believe my walk with Christ is very close as I see Him in my life every day........and trust me...it isn't easy..the path for me has been narrow, but that's not saying I'm narrow minded......imo anyway.

I'm finding all this very interesting.

Rocky.

FoG
Jul 7th 2008, 03:30 AM
Yeah you're right....it seems I might be in deep water....lol....will have to watch my tongue..lol...actually I'd already gathered most of you were fundys...but that's ok...God loves us all....even fundys....rofl..!!!

The way I'm liberal probably has more to do with the fact that I don't really care what others think or believe...... I have my views on Christianity and I believe my walk with Christ is very close as I see Him in my life every day........and trust me...it isn't easy..the path for me has been narrow, but that's not saying I'm narrow minded......imo anyway.

I'm finding all this very interesting.

Rocky.

You seem way too nice to be a liberal. :rofl::rofl:Just playin!

Rocking horse
Jul 7th 2008, 03:45 AM
You seem way too nice to be a liberal. :rofl::rofl:Just playin!

You are most kind to call me....nice...lol....but baby, you don't know me yet...rofl....

I'm a bit loud sometimes, but generally, pretty harmless. :-)

Rocky

CoffeeCat
Jul 7th 2008, 04:12 AM
I am a fundamentalist if by that it means I believe the Bible to be inerrant; that Christ actually died and rose again; etc etc (the dictionary reference provided earlier is fine). I would fully call myself a fundy for believing those things. So.... In terms of faith ALONE, I am a fundamentalist Christian.

As an aside, if I may....

(Generally, I'd also call myself a small c conservative.... socially in terms of family values, economics and big business as well as big government, I am generally conservative... except I have a true penchant for some left wing issues, like worker's rights, low income families, teachers' unions, etc. I tend to separate my politics from my faith wherever possible. I fully agree with the separation of church and state, for instance; my take on it is that it protects both the church AND the state.)

Anyways. If I made a particle of sense.... whew. I'm tired. ;)

Esperanza32
Jul 7th 2008, 09:30 AM
I've been accused of being liberal.

I've had fellow Christians tell me that I'm not saved because I don't interpret certain parts of scripture in just the same way they do. It's ridiculous.

I love Jesus more than anything. Thank God that Jesus' love is big enough for all of us, whatever labels we give each other.

Rocking horse
Jul 7th 2008, 10:44 AM
I've been accused of being liberal.

I've had fellow Christians tell me that I'm not saved because I don't interpret certain parts of scripture in just the same way they do. It's ridiculous.

I love Jesus more than anything. Thank God that Jesus' love is big enough for all of us, whatever labels we give each other.

My friend, John 3.16 is my favourite bit in the Bible....and I think that just about says it all.

To be saved we have to believe Jesus is the Christ, died and rose for our sins and repent....then I believe the gift of life .... eternal life....is given to us by God. Of course what follows should be a changed life, a devout and strong effort to turn from our former sinful ways. Salvation is a gift....nothing we do can give us more of it....no works are good enough...it is a gift. Sure there are parts in the Bible that say........faith without works is dead...but I think once we accept Christ then our life will change anyway.

Smiles, Rocky.

bookworm14
Jul 7th 2008, 11:39 AM
Both :D

I am fundamentalist in most issues of my personal faith, but socially I am liberal.

For example, I believe that abortion is murder and would never have one, but don't believe in pushing that view on others and consider myself pro-choice.

daughter
Jul 7th 2008, 12:38 PM
Hum... I'm a vegan, very left wing (but won't vote, because the government always wins) and am anti war (but not anti soldier.)

Some fellow fundies think I'm a secret liberal. :lol: I suppose we're just confused!

Ninna
Jul 7th 2008, 12:56 PM
Since we have a definition in the thread of fundamentalist, someone who considers themselves a liberal Christian, please define......

cnw
Jul 7th 2008, 08:32 PM
how can someone stand for right things in secret, but not stand for faith or what you believe publically? I bet God would really bless you if you stood up for what you believe.
I looked up liberal Christianity and didn't understand it. I wonder what people really mean by liberal also because by definition it would be not believing Gods word to live by.:huh:

Saved7
Jul 7th 2008, 09:27 PM
Sure there are parts in the Bible that say........faith without works is dead...but I think once we accept Christ then our life will change anyway.

Smiles, Rocky.

that's the point of that particular scripture, :) if there is no change in your life, toward a more holy and God glorifying life, then you would have to question your salvation.;)

Saved7
Jul 7th 2008, 09:33 PM
Both :D

For example, I believe that abortion is murder and would never have one, but don't believe in pushing that view on others and consider myself pro-choice.

While I agree with this, I also know that govt has a responsibility to God to uphold righteousness and His laws. And if they do not then they and their people will suffer. And now our suffering begins because we have allowed such heinous crimes to go on. Look at Sodom and Gomorrah, they continued to live in sin, and were destroyed; but if someone came and said, hey, I will not allow this to go on anymore, then those people may have turn out ok...anything goes, leads to death. ;) So I do believe in pushing my views on others in that respect, if I do not say "hey, this is sin" then their blood is on my hands; but if I say something, and they still choose to do this thing, then I am free, but they pay the consequences of their sin.

bookworm14
Jul 7th 2008, 10:05 PM
I suppose abortion was a bad example because of its complex and incendiary nature.

Suffice it to say I believe strongly in separation of church and state and this leads me to a more liberal social bent.

Whispering Grace
Jul 7th 2008, 10:08 PM

Do you feel the same way about people outside of the womb? You would not murder a person outside of the womb, but don't believe in pushing that view on others?

In other words, are you pro-choice toward the murder of ALL people, or just those that haven't been born yet?

bookworm14
Jul 7th 2008, 10:15 PM
It's really pointless to get into an abortion debate, so I'd rather not. The point of my example was to further answer the OP's question so I'd like to leave it at that.

Whispering Grace
Jul 7th 2008, 10:48 PM
Suit yourself.

I just have a hard time understanding how anyone can condone the murder of defenseless unborn babies.

cnw
Jul 7th 2008, 10:52 PM
guys, this is not a personal attack on one issue. Use an issue to generalize and explain what you mean or why you feel this because of Scripture, we have other threads for debate, and this womens forum is more of a safe place.

Rocking horse
Jul 8th 2008, 01:15 AM
4"][[/FONT]SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I totally stand up in public for what I believe in....Jesus is my Lord and Savior, I believe that He is the son of God, born of a virgin, died on a cross and rose again and ascended into heaven. And if we believe in Him....John 3.16 then we have the gift of ever lasting life with Him in heaven. I also believe that full water baptism is important...I was baptised in 1992 in the Indian Ocean...it was amazing....

But my liberal thoughts are more along the lines of....I don't think people have to go to a church building, or thith, or believe everything in the Bible is absolutely literal, I believe there are many metaphores in the Bible that some people take as literal.

I have what I call my little...God jobs...that I believe the Lord has given me, but I don't shout about them because I don't want any praise for them, they are for Gods glory only and to do with my personal relationship with Him.

I don't have to jump up and down and scream and shout to show I'm a Christian, I try to live Christ in my day to day life and ask God to reflect His love through me to others I come across.

To me, I'm liberal.

Rocky.

daughter
Jul 8th 2008, 09:46 AM
It's easy enough to post in the wrong forum. I've done it often enough... the amount of times I've been at the porch - why is it women don't have conversations about weight training or long distance running? :rolleyes:

daughter
Jul 8th 2008, 10:05 AM
Well, I don't believe that anybody's salvation depends on whether they take Genesis literally. Because if I believed that then I would have been saved six months before I was "truly" saved. I believed in Jesus, and He saved me... that's enough. It does seem that the longer I'm Christian the more it makes sense to believe the Bible literally... I have no problem believing that God, in His omnipotence, created the heavens and the earth in six days. But if someone disagrees on that, it doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Christ is the focus of our faith, nothing else.

Rocking horse
Jul 9th 2008, 02:43 AM
Well, I don't believe that anybody's salvation depends on whether they take Genesis literally. Because if I believed that then I would have been saved six months before I was "truly" saved. I believed in Jesus, and He saved me... that's enough. It does seem that the longer I'm Christian the more it makes sense to believe the Bible literally... I have no problem believing that God, in His omnipotence, created the heavens and the earth in six days. But if someone disagrees on that, it doesn't mean they're not a Christian. Christ is the focus of our faith, nothing else.

A B S O L U T E L Y !!!!!

:hug: Rocky

Ashley274
Jul 9th 2008, 05:50 AM
I don't know what I am :lol: OK I walked into that one but I am still lost on the liberal defination....I think I must be a fundimentalist liberal :P

daughter
Jul 9th 2008, 07:59 AM
Are you liberally fundemental? Or fundementally liberal? A fundy liberated by the blood of Jesus?

Or all of the above?

LadyinWaiting
Jul 9th 2008, 01:16 PM
I was in a workshop for my school district yesterday. Here's a bit of history that may shed some light on this topic:

"The Fundamentals" were a series of writings published from 1910-1915 (can now be purchased as a multi-volume set). In it, pastors wrote against modernism and promoted the fundamentals of Christianity. Those who were labeled "fundamentalist" had to adhere to the following tenants or doctrines: 1) the inerrancy of scripture, 2) the deity of Christ, 3) the substitionary atonement through Jesus Christ, 4) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, and 5) Christ's eventual return in Glory.

They believed you could not call yourself a Christian if you didn't believe at LEAST those five doctrines. Believing those 5 things technically makes you a fundamentalist.

Now, under that umbrella, some are literalists and some aren't. A literalist believes every single word of the Bible is to be taken at face value without interpretation. A non-literalist believes that some things are symbolic, not literal, and should be interpreted for a full understanding. Some are a mix, believing some stories are literal miracles while others are meant to be decoded and interpreted (like the parables) before they can be understood for full meaning.

Ninna
Jul 9th 2008, 01:33 PM
Well, since no one defined liberal Christian, here is a pretty informative article:

http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Topical/liberal_christianity.htm

Ashley274
Jul 10th 2008, 04:53 AM
Wow from all I read in all the posts I think I lean towards a fundy ;) and I am mixed on the literalist ..all I know for a fact is Jesus is MY LORD AND SAVIOR :pp I have been washed in the blood of the Lamb :hug:

miepie
Jul 10th 2008, 06:54 AM
I have been liberal in my life, but ever since being married to Chal, well actually since I met him, I am a fundamentalist and I like it a lot better this way! :pp

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

DanceswithGod
Jul 10th 2008, 12:30 PM
Lady in Waiting:

How did the definition of fundy fit into your school's workshop? Just wondering.:hmm:

LadyinWaiting
Jul 10th 2008, 01:44 PM
Dances - it was a workshop on how history is peverted by Hollywood and used the Scopes Trial from the early 1900s.

We went through the trial transcripts and the film/play version and saw how much of history was improvised or TOTALLY fictional in the movie (which has unfortunately creeped into our nation's text books and is being taught as fact).

One of those issues was the presentation of fundamentalist Christians in the south (who were the ones opposing the use of evolution in the classroom) and William Jennings Bryan (a staunch fundamentalist who served as the prosecutor for the Scopes trial).

It's actually really interesting. I was very glad I attended an out-of-field workshop like that (It was geared towards history, but I'm an English teacher.).

SweetCharity
Jul 10th 2008, 06:32 PM
I'm a conservative fundamentalist and I love it! :D

Sandusky
Jan 7th 2009, 01:25 AM
that's the point of that particular scripture, :) if there is no change in your life, toward a more holy and God glorifying life, then you would have to question your salvation.

Yes you would, and you'd be best off increasing both your faith and good works. Pray for the grace to do so, because it's all grace. ;)

To answer the OP's question, I am a conservative, traditional Catholic Christian.

Ezer Kenegdo
Jan 7th 2009, 01:19 PM
I was in a workshop for my school district yesterday. Here's a bit of history that may shed some light on this topic:

"The Fundamentals" were a series of writings published from 1910-1915 (can now be purchased as a multi-volume set). In it, pastors wrote against modernism and promoted the fundamentals of Christianity. Those who were labeled "fundamentalist" had to adhere to the following tenants or doctrines: 1) the inerrancy of scripture, 2) the deity of Christ, 3) the substitionary atonement through Jesus Christ, 4) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, and 5) Christ's eventual return in Glory.

They believed you could not call yourself a Christian if you didn't believe at LEAST those five doctrines. Believing those 5 things technically makes you a fundamentalist.

Now, under that umbrella, some are literalists and some aren't. A literalist believes every single word of the Bible is to be taken at face value without interpretation. A non-literalist believes that some things are symbolic, not literal, and should be interpreted for a full understanding. Some are a mix, believing some stories are literal miracles while others are meant to be decoded and interpreted (like the parables) before they can be understood for full meaning.

According to the definition above, I'd call myself a fundy (although I didn't really understand what that was until reading this thread :D) and I do consider myself a literalist bible believer - with a slight twist from what is stated above. I let the bible interpret itself for me - whenever something is symbolic the bible tells us so and always defines the symbols elseware, so that we need never guess at what it is saying to us.

Bethany67
Jan 7th 2009, 01:40 PM
I guess you'd call me an evangelical (vitally important to share the Gospel), charismatic (believe the gifts are still for the church today when practiced Biblically), pro-life (anti-abortion and anti-the death penalty), fundamentalist (in my approach to the fundamentals of the faith but hopefully without the nasty arrogant judgmentalism that some display).

Mostly I just call myself a follower of Christ, because nowadays 'evangelical' over here tends to be tainted by the American televangelists and getting-mixed-up-in-politics stuff. Politically I'm fairly middle of the road but leaning towards conservatism as I get older and see our society imploding; did the trendy leftwing thing when I was an antsy student 25 years ago, and what we have now in the UK isn't socialism despite an allegedly left-wing government. Sociologically I'm a libertarian - I hate the way the UK is turning into a controlling nanny-state bureaucracy, with the EU and faceless civil servants and local councils pulling our strings with their agenda of political correctness so as not to offend anyone. I want liberty for myself and for anyone else as long as they don't pose a social or personal danger. Culturally I'm a liberal - engaging with our culture to share the Gospel, just as Paul did in Athens. I guess I don't really fit into anyone's box, which suits me just fine.

cindylou
Jan 8th 2009, 03:22 PM
hmm, i'm not sure what I would call myself.

Not charismatic

I do belive in the 6 day creation but I dont belive that the earth is 6,000 years old or that man walked with dinosaurs. Im an old earther

I'm not a King James Onlyist but belive that the King James bible is inspired by God and is infallible

I belive that Jesus died for the sins of mankind and rose from the dead on the third day

I belive that we are only saved by grace through faith. Not works.

I belive in hell. I dont want to but I do. It must exist because heaven does and because its in the bible. Also, logically it must exist.

I dont believe that abortion is murder of a human soul but I do believe it to be a sin of selfishness. This is coming from a pregnant woman lol

I believe in the rapture of the church but am not sure if it will include the whole world. Therefore I'm iffy on the seperation of church and state. If it does include all of us...what are we trying to stop? More studying will give me a definate answer but I'm still a youngin in my 20's trying to figure it all out

I dont believe that drinking alcohol in moderation is a sin

what would I be?

godsgirl
Jan 9th 2009, 03:57 PM
I'm a blood bought-Bible believing-(from Genesis to maps), tongue talking, Jesus loving child of the King. So, although the fundys would never claim me as their own-I'm a "Pentecostal Fundamentalist" -and wouldn't have it any other way.

Whispering Grace
Jan 9th 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm a "Pentecostal Fundamentalist" -and wouldn't have it any other way.

You and me both, Sister. :)

Libre
Jan 9th 2009, 05:36 PM
Wonderful discussion. And nobody is bashing anyone. I just left a forum that was so judgmental that it was scary. If you didn't agree with "them" then they didn't trust anything you said, because you were obviously were in error.

A couple of you have pretty much described my position on the labeling continuum.

I am very fundamental about the person and work of Jesus regarding His deity, atonement, redemption and all. He was both man and God. He did mircales. He is the firstfruit of the resurrection of us all - and bodily. And He is returning - bodily.

There are fa ew things I beleive that are currently not part of popular teaching, but once were considered true - still are by some. These things don't really affect salvation, because salvation is not based on teachings but on our belief on, and relationship with, Jesus.

However, socially and politically I am a flaming liberal. For me, liberal issues are the way I can best express and implement the teachings of Jesus. And I find that absolutely liberating.

It's been said that if we spent more time living the things the says to do, we wouldn't have time to worry about what it says not to do.

I read about a pastor who decided to not just live the OT law for a year, but to live like Jesus. It led him to actually vote Democratic in the last election, because he said that was the only choice that he thought Jesus would have made.

Food for thought.

blessedmommyuv3
Jan 10th 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm a conservative fundamentalist and I love it! :D

Me too!!!!!!!!! ;)

Whispering Grace
Jan 10th 2009, 11:22 PM
However, socially and politically I am a flaming liberal. For me, liberal issues are the way I can best express and implement the teachings of Jesus. And I find that absolutely liberating.

I'm wondering how abortion on demand is a teaching of Jesus Christ?

godsgirl
Jan 12th 2009, 04:42 PM
Or marriage for homosexuals for that matter???? I guess, I just can't for the life of me understand how any Bible Believing Christian could be "flaming liberal"-considering the ideas so close to the hearts of the left????

Libre
Jan 12th 2009, 05:23 PM
Whispering Grace, and godsgirl, you have just touched on the major difference between liberal and conservative views of these matters. While Jesus never mentioned either one, conservatives apply a principle of law concerning killing and marriage. And liberals cringe at saying abortion is murder and that the right to marry is going to destroy the sacred aspect of marriage.

Liberals believe that everyone has the right to choose and to marry. A Christian who is a political liberal may not personally ever choose abortion, but will nevertheless support legal and safe abortions.

And there are gay Christians who attend churches which are welcoming and accepting and perform marriages where ever they are legal.

Liberals point to the higher law of Christ, which is love. Not pointing out faults in others' decisions, but love which is accepting. Remember, accusing is the domain of the devil, the accuser of the brethren. And judging is the domain of legalists and is very Pharisaical.

The Pharisees were the conservatives of Jesus' day, and we all know what He thought of them. Therefore liberals believe it's better to err on the side of acceptance.

Ninna
Jan 13th 2009, 01:08 PM
According to the Bible, we are to judge other Christians...not non-believers...but those professing to be Christian. The Bible is specific about sexual immorality, to include homosexuality being sin. Why would we accept it? Why would we not love the sinner and hate the sin and try to get our brother or sister to repent?

There is nothing Pharasaical in what was said...in fact, it is biblical.

1 Corinthians 5: 9) I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10) Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since you would need to go out of the world. 11) But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner - not even to eat with such a person 12) For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13) But those who are outside God judges. Therefore put away from yourselves the evil person. (NKJV)

superwoman8977
Jan 13th 2009, 02:02 PM
I am a very liberal person and Christian I dont agree with the fundamental aspects.

Ninna
Jan 13th 2009, 02:21 PM
I am a very liberal person and Christian I dont agree with the fundamental aspects.

These are the defined fundamental beliefs:

1) the inerrancy of scripture, 2) the deity of Christ, 3) the substitionary atonement through Jesus Christ, 4) the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, and 5) Christ's eventual return in Glory.

Libre
Jan 13th 2009, 04:51 PM
Speaking for myself only, let me assure you that there are many who are born again Christians, who know and love Jesus with all their being, but who are liberal in their politics. Like in Matt. 25, we believe Jesus meant it when He talked about doing to the least of these. Sort of "red letter" Christian action. Our faith being shown by our actions, an outworking of our inner change.

We put the welfare of those who are in need above the real or perceived "laws" of morality. We believe those choices are between an individual and God, and just accept and love the person, whether they be saved or unsaved. We present them with Jesus and we try not to judge.

And some of us accept the science that overwhelmingly says sexuality is inborn. We have studied the verses that seem to pertain to homosexuals and believe that they do not mean what has been read into them.

I'm not saying anyone has to accept this. But we who do have very good basis for it, though most here probably won't agree. And we didn't come to it overnight and don't take it lightly.

Peace

Ninna
Jan 13th 2009, 05:32 PM
Sounds like you could be involved in the "emergent church" where sin is what you make it and Scripture does not always hold true. Our God is love but people don't like to mention that He is also a God of judgement. Jesus said there is a broad way that leads to destruction and instructs us to enter by the narrow gate.......

Izdaari
Jan 22nd 2009, 08:36 AM
It depends. I'm conservative, even fundamentalist, on the very basics of the faith, the stuff covered in the Apostles' Creed. But I'm liberal on a lot else. And since politics has been mentioned, on that I'm libertarian, and a member of the Libertarian Party.

Ninna
Jan 22nd 2009, 12:26 PM
Let me warn right now that there are no political discussions allowed on the board at this time.

Izdaari
Jan 22nd 2009, 02:23 PM
Let me warn right now that there are no political discussions allowed on the board at this time.
Sounds good to me. I don't like getting politics mixed up with faith. :thumbsup:

I agree with the "five fundamentals" you posted. But I don't agree with the American Fundamentalist culture, which IMHO is a different matter entirely. Though my church (AG) is conservative, evangelical and Pentecostal, and I'm happy with it, I see a lot of good in the mainline to liberal churches, in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and in the "emerging church" movement. It isn't all good in any of those, and there's a lot I'd criticize too. As always, discernment is required.

Libre
Jan 22nd 2009, 05:24 PM
I am currently a member of a Christian & Missionary Alliance church. I joined because it teaches the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have been spirit filled for 33 years, and I don't know how I'd have made this far without the full power and gifts of the Holy Spirit.

It's my politics and social views that are liberal.

As for the emergent church, that is a very broad spectrum. You can't paint someone as emergent with just one brush stroke.

Ninna
Jan 22nd 2009, 05:41 PM
You can't paint someone as emergent with just one brush stroke

You are correct and I apologize for the label. I have seen opposite ends of the spectrum all under the name "emergent."