PDA

View Full Version : No Joy

theleast
Jul 8th 2008, 04:08 AM
O.K. heres my deal.

I have little joy.

I am a firm believer that the end times are VERY near. I feel like that little kid in the movie the sixth sense when he says "I see dead people." I see people caught up in the rat race of life and I see them blinded to whats coming and I feel bad for them. I try to help when I can, but I feel that no matter what I do I am never doing enough. Everything I see is always aflame. Whenever I see almost anything I think to myself, "that is going to get smashed soon." Billboards and advertisements and everything else on T.V. and radio feel like a personal assault to me. Every time I hear something about God on T.V. or radio I instantly go on guard for fear of false doctrine that will offend me. My knowledge is increased daily but it only brings more sorrow.

Going through my everyday life is more of a habit than a life. I feel like my flesh dies daily. I go to work simply to pay bills, and because if I didn't I would still be miserable at home anyway. My wife believes in God but thinks that I obsess over him. My family believes in God but thinks I'm crazy, so we don't talk about him anymore. I have one friend who believes in God like I do, and he is the only one I can talk too about it, but he is pretty much joyless as well. I don't enjoy anything in life at all anymore except my gardens, and you can only do so much weeding.

So....wheres the joy when everybody and everything I know is dead?:B

I have total faith in God, and there are very few moments in the day that I am not thinking about him. He is the first thing in my head in the morning and the last thing at night. I pray endlessly throughout the day. Yet I don't feel any joy.

So....where is the joy?

adgerald
Jul 8th 2008, 08:41 AM
Take time to stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy God's creation in nature. Appreciate that you have a job and family, many people dont, then I think you will find a lot to be thankful for.. and you will feel joy

servantsheart
Jul 8th 2008, 01:55 PM
Good morning phaeton426, Lets start with Psalm 28:7 "The Lord is my strength and my shield. my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him."
How can you not feel joy when you take time to be alone with our Father and just praise him, praise him, praise him. For He is so good and he does not want us going around with a long face. He wants us to put on a smile and ask to be filled with His joy inside of us.
We can't attract non-believers to our faith in the Lord if we have this sad and bitter look on our face all day long.
Pray for a new attitude and open your heart and mind up to the light of Christ and let Him shine through you.
God wants us to see how the world is around us...he wants us to pray for the wrong things around us. But don't set your face like flint. Make sure you have an up -lifted smile and a pleasant word for anyone you meet today.
Put on some Christian music and kick up your heels!!!

Sherrie
Jul 8th 2008, 02:02 PM
For me the "Joy" is Him! The Lord Jesus Christ! He is my Joy and my Hope! I can rejoice in knowing the Hope is He will come back for me! He is alive in me, and I am alive in Him! My cup runneth over in joy of my Lord. My joy is tangled into everything I do and see and know. I will pray for those who do not know this Joy; nor do they have this Joy flowing in them.

Slug1
Jul 8th 2008, 02:43 PM
Phaeton, allot of "I" in that OP of yours. Seems "you" are doing all you can for God... are "you" sure this is what God is trying to do through you?

I have met so many Christian's who seem unhappy with the tons of stuff they do for God and when they boil it down it's just that... it's stuff "they" are doing for God, not stuff God is trying to get them to do for Him.

The relationship with God must be a 2-way relationship, not a 1-way relationship where all "you" are doing is for Him. Sometimes the "you" doing stuff for Him is in the way of stuff "He" wants you to do... He has a plan and can't get you to do it until you stop and allow Him the 2-way relationship He desires to have and get you to do what will bring Him glory and praise as the fruit you produce is the fruit He wants.

What you are feeling, it's called Pruning. Accept it, seek God's will and you may find yourself going in a whole different direction then the one "you" want to go in for God. He's pointing you in the direction He wants you to go and until this pruning period is over these feelings will continue. They'll continue until you submit to God's will and the Joy you will experience is compounded with God's joy as you are doing what He wants, no longer doing what you want to do for Him.

miepie
Jul 8th 2008, 03:49 PM
I believe that our joy should not come from this world. Our joy is in the Lord! :pp

I am severely disabled, bedridden and almost a shutin, except for the bath I go to everyday if possible, and the hospitalvisits every once and a while......
I lay on my bed all day, and often I am not able to use my arms like I am using them now because they are in braces........ I was defeated for a while, but then I started to explore my possibilities, and I am planning on becoming a vivid reader from now on! :pp It's just a matter of how you look at things..... you gotta live with the possibilities that God has given you...... I am sure He looks down from Heaven, amused to see me using my limited powers to still be happy and how I deal with adversaries...... I am hoping it makes Him smile as much as it does me right now.......

And if you can't find that joy..... tell God! Pray for joy! :idea:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

jayne
Jul 8th 2008, 04:04 PM
I spoke at a ladies conference last year and that asked me to speak on joy. I’ll just give you a few very brief clips from what the Lord laid on my heart. I pray He speaks to you the way that He spoke to me.

(1.) You can’t base your joy in the Lord on what you base your happiness on…These things are fleeting. The same exact things that makes you happy can also bring you grief. (spouses, children, work, church, health, rainy day, free time, medications, relationships….).

(2.) We do something very unhealthy…. we take our happiness cue (what we mistake for joy) from the external…if the external things and relationships aren’t working… divorce, Alzheimer’s, rebellious children, poor health, things we can’t fix and we’ve lost control over……we say, “I’m depressed…sad…angry…I’m on the grief train.

(3.) Too many Christians are basing their joy in the LORD on their human capacity to control the external….and that is impossible and it is wrong.

(4.) Jesus spoke of His own personal joy for the first time on the night that He was going to the Garden of Gethsemane.

John 15:11 “I have told you these things for a purpose: that My joy might be your joy, and your joy may be full (or wholly mature).”
Was that a joyous night in terms of finding happiness in the external circumstances of our lives and the condition of the world? I think not. Then joy must be something else and found somewhere else.

(5.) Paul said of Jesus’ personal joy….

Hebrews 12:2 “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for joy set before him, endured the cross…”

Jesus suffered untold physical and spiritual agonies FOR joy’s sake. Not with joy, but for joy’s sake. His joy and our joy.

(6.) First, you’ve got to get a new definition of joy. It isn’t something that comes into you….it is something that comes out of you)...”an outward and visible manifestation of your relationship with God.”

Just like Jesus said that there is nothing that goes into a man that defiles him, I believe that nothing that goes into a man can steal his joy. It can suppress his happiness, but not steal his joy.

(7.) In preparing for the ladies conference and looking at scriptural studies on joy, I found 427 bible passages that dealt with joy. I found that there were some striking similarities in some of the passages and came up with a few manifestations that people were exhibiting that express their joy. Here were the commonalities that I found in biblical people who were in a state of joy.

They were manifesting thankfulness for salvation, visible praise, gratitude to God, unity in the body, a seeking of God, renewal/rededication, righteous living, and cheerful giving.

In closing to you, personally, I see from your original post that you are taking your joy cue from other people's misery, your helplessness, terrible circumstances of the world, the media, the mundaneness of your job, and your lack of unity with your wife.

No wonder you are unhappy. I would be too. I probably wouldn't even crawl out of bed. How do I know that's what I'd do? I've been where you are.

But these external factors, which are fleeting, have nothing to do with you inner relationship with God and you manifestation of your relationship with Him. There's your joy. How do you show and express your relationship with God? Try focusing on one of those categories that I found in studying joy.

God bless you, brother....and your wife and family.

I bid you much peace......peace of mind
shalom
jayne

Gift of God
Jul 10th 2008, 05:24 AM
I would consider reading Paul's Epistle to the Philippians, which he wrote out of prison. it has been called "the epistle of joy."

CRNA
Jul 12th 2008, 04:34 AM
I spoke at a ladies conference last year and that asked me to speak on joy. I’ll just give you a few very brief clips from what the Lord laid on my heart. I pray He speaks to you the way that He spoke to me.

(1.) You can’t base your joy in the Lord on what you base your happiness on…These things are fleeting. The same exact things that makes you happy can also bring you grief. (spouses, children, work, church, health, rainy day, free time, medications, relationships….).

(2.) We do something very unhealthy…. we take our happiness cue (what we mistake for joy) from the external…if the external things and relationships aren’t working… divorce, Alzheimer’s, rebellious children, poor health, things we can’t fix and we’ve lost control over……we say, “I’m depressed…sad…angry…I’m on the grief train.

(3.) Too many Christians are basing their joy in the LORD on their human capacity to control the external….and that is impossible and it is wrong.

(4.) Jesus spoke of His own personal joy for the first time on the night that He was going to the Garden of Gethsemane.

Was that a joyous night in terms of finding happiness in the external circumstances of our lives and the condition of the world? I think not. Then joy must be something else and found somewhere else.

(5.) Paul said of Jesus’ personal joy….

Jesus suffered untold physical and spiritual agonies FOR joy’s sake. Not with joy, but for joy’s sake. His joy and our joy.

(6.) First, you’ve got to get a new definition of joy. It isn’t something that comes into you….it is something that comes out of you)...”an outward and visible manifestation of your relationship with God.”

Just like Jesus said that there is nothing that goes into a man that defiles him, I believe that nothing that goes into a man can steal his joy. It can suppress his happiness, but not steal his joy.

(7.) In preparing for the ladies conference and looking at scriptural studies on joy, I found 427 bible passages that dealt with joy. I found that there were some striking similarities in some of the passages and came up with a few manifestations that people were exhibiting that express their joy. Here were the commonalities that I found in biblical people who were in a state of joy.

They were manifesting thankfulness for salvation, visible praise, gratitude to God, unity in the body, a seeking of God, renewal/rededication, righteous living, and cheerful giving.

In closing to you, personally, I see from your original post that you are taking your joy cue from other people's misery, your helplessness, terrible circumstances of the world, the media, the mundaneness of your job, and your lack of unity with your wife.

No wonder you are unhappy. I would be too. I probably wouldn't even crawl out of bed. How do I know that's what I'd do? I've been where you are.

But these external factors, which are fleeting, have nothing to do with you inner relationship with God and you manifestation of your relationship with Him. There's your joy. How do you show and express your relationship with God? Try focusing on one of those categories that I found in studying joy.

God bless you, brother....and your wife and family.

I bid you much peace......peace of mind
shalom
jayne

I want to thank you for that.

arielette
Jul 12th 2008, 12:46 PM
In all seriousness, I occasionally have glimpses of how God sees the world and in truth, I am not strong enough to bare it and I have to block it out. I am not suggesting you do that -- but I do understand how overwhelming it is. The world is evil there is no doubt of it. It will end sometime. You probably in your heart of hearts don't want to be here, but in heaven with Jesus. Until that happens we need to walk the path to get there and be the light of this world. To do so is a decision and then a habit.

As for me, I hope I will be able to be able to see the evil around me without being overcome. I think in your case, you are simply discerning what is disgusting to you and not processing the emotions that come with it. I hope we all have the strength to see clearly and still have joy.

Brother Mark
Jul 12th 2008, 01:27 PM
Hi Phaeton. I too have been joyless and depressed and seen things as hopeless. But there is another side as well where one can be filled with joy unspeakable and full of glory. I fear my unbending replies in other threads may have darkened anything I might say now. I would welcome the chance to speak with you about your feelings and about my feelings concerning joy and the experience of it and the lack of it.

May the Lord bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you.

theleast
Jul 12th 2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Phaeton. I too have been joyless and depressed and seen things as hopeless. But there is another side as well where one can be filled with joy unspeakable and full of glory. I fear my unbending replies in other threads may have darkened anything I might say now. I would welcome the chance to speak with you about your feelings and about my feelings concerning joy and the experience of it and the lack of it.

May the Lord bless you and keep you and cause his face to shine upon you.

I hold no grudges BotherMark. :) Your replies were no more unbending than mine.

Feel free to speak with me anytime.

It is nice to know that at least people can understand how I feel, when nobody I know around me does.

Brother Mark
Jul 12th 2008, 03:24 PM
I hold no grudges BotherMark. :) Your replies were no more unbending than mine.

Feel free to speak with me anytime.

It is nice to know that at least people can understand how I feel, when nobody I know around me does.

I am glad to hear that Phaeton. (You told me your real name but I won't use it on the open board without your permission.)

I know you like to study and I am currently pressed for time. With that in mind... have you ever looked into hope or hopelessness in the scriptures? Sometimes the words aren't used even if they are illustrated. The valley of dry bones in Ezekiel is about having "no hope".

Remember when Jesus cursed the fig tree? That too can be about hope. Jesus took away it's purpose in life. Then it shriveled from the root up and died. He did not tell the tree to die but without purpose, it died.

I am just throwing a couple of things out. If you prefer more privacy you know where chat2mods is at or something else can be set up that is even more private.

theleast
Jul 12th 2008, 03:41 PM
I am glad to hear that Phaeton. (You told me your real name but I won't use it on the open board without your permission.)

I know you like to study and I am currently pressed for time. With that in mind... have you ever looked into hope or hopelessness in the scriptures? Sometimes the words aren't used even if they are illustrated. The valley of dry bones in Ezekiel is about having "no hope".

Remember when Jesus cursed the fig tree? That too can be about hope. Jesus took away it's purpose in life. Then it shriveled from the root up and died. He did not tell the tree to die but without purpose, it died.

I am just throwing a couple of things out. If you prefer more privacy you know where chat2mods is at or something else can be set up that is even more private.

Actually I don't care if you post my name on the open board. In case anybody is interested my name is Christian.

I will read the story of the valley of the dry bones today. I have read it before but it has been sometime. I am currently involved in a study of the fig tree, the vine, and the olive trees as well right now, so I do know about the story of the fig tree that is dried up.

Thanks for giving me some direction. :)

Brother Mark
Jul 12th 2008, 03:46 PM
Actually I don't care if you post my name on the open board. In case anybody is interested my name is Christian.

I will read the story of the valley of the dry bones today. I have read it before but it has been sometime. I am currently involved in a study of the fig tree, the vine, and the olive trees as well right now, so I do know about the story of the fig tree that is dried up.

If I remember right, you like word studies. Check out the word bones in the OT and see where it leads you. If you want it spelled out, check out this thread.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=95631

If you want to see it for yourself, and do your own digging here are a few hints.

Jesus never suffered a broken bone. David's bones were crushed in Psalms 51. In a couple of Psalms, the Psalmist spoke of his bones crying out. Bones mean something more than just being our bones. I think they are a type of the soul.

Anyway, that is something to dig into if you want. There's some hints to follow around and it's all spelled out in the thread if you wish to read it. If it means anything, when I first came to this board, I caused big stink. That thread is part explanation for my behavior and part explanation for my healing.

I will be very interested in any insights the Lord gives you in your studies about this particular topic.

theleast
Jul 13th 2008, 02:35 PM
If I remember right, you like word studies. Check out the word bones in the OT and see where it leads you. If you want it spelled out, check out this thread.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=95631

If you want to see it for yourself, and do your own digging here are a few hints.

Jesus never suffered a broken bone. David's bones were crushed in Psalms 51. In a couple of Psalms, the Psalmist spoke of his bones crying out. Bones mean something more than just being our bones. I think they are a type of the soul.

Anyway, that is something to dig into if you want. There's some hints to follow around and it's all spelled out in the thread if you wish to read it. If it means anything, when I first came to this board, I caused big stink. That thread is part explanation for my behavior and part explanation for my healing.

I will be very interested in any insights the Lord gives you in your studies about this particular topic.

I just read your thread. Excellent thread. I will be doing my word study today, and yes I love word studies very much. :)

I will post back after I have had a chance to take it all in.

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 13th 2008, 03:17 PM
I find that joy comes when doing His will. It fills your heart and soul with the flow of love that He is.

Shalom,
Tanja

Slug1
Jul 13th 2008, 03:54 PM
I find that joy comes when doing His will. It fills your heart and soul with the flow of love that He is.

Shalom,
TanjaAMEN!

So many Christian's don't feel joy and it takes a serious pruning by God to get them in His will and doing what He wants them to do for Him and stop doing what they want to do for Him.

theleast
Jul 14th 2008, 02:23 AM
So I finally made some progress on my word study of bones, and I have to agree with you Brothermark.

Here are some verses I found interesting.

4And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.

5But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
6And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life. 7So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

I found it interesting that God gave Satan permission to touch his bone and his flesh. Satan then proceeds to smite Job with boils, which is of course his flesh, but nothing is said about his bones at that point. However when we read on we see that Job is very grief stricken.

11His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.

This later verse from Job goes quite well with what you were saying in your other thread regarding the effect sin has on bones.

Can't remember if you quoted these or not, but it is certainly relevant...

Psalm 38:3 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+38:3&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+38&version=9)
There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.

And another here is one in reference to joy...

Psalm 51:8 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+51:8&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+51&version=9)
Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

That last verse made me think of this one, they go well together...

Luke 20:18 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Luke+20:18&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Luke+20&version=9)
Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

However the theme is very consistent throughout the study that I have done that you led me to do.

Thanks, I am going to continue on with this awhile longer but you have definitly given me food for thought. :hmm:

Brother Mark
Jul 14th 2008, 02:27 AM
So I finally made some progress on my word study of bones, and I have to agree with you Brothermark.

Here are some verses I found interesting.

4And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.

5But put forth thine hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh, and he will curse thee to thy face.
6And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life. 7So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.

I found it interesting that God gave Satan permission to touch his bone and his flesh. Satan then proceeds to smite Job with boils, which is of course his flesh, but nothing is said about his bones at that point. However when we read on we see that Job is very grief stricken.

11His bones are full of the sin of his youth, which shall lie down with him in the dust.

This later verse from Job goes quite well with what you were saying in your other thread regarding the effect sin has on bones.

Can't remember if you quoted these or not, but it is certainly relevant...

Psalm 38:3 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+38:3&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+38&version=9)
There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.

And another here is one in reference to joy...

Psalm 51:8 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+51:8&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Psalm+51&version=9)
Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.

That last verse made me think of this one, they go well together...

Luke 20:18 (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Luke+20:18&version=9) (Whole Chapter) (http://bibleresources.bible.com/passagesearchresults.php?passage1=Luke+20&version=9)
Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

However the theme is very consistent throughout the study that I have done that you led me to do.

Thanks, I am going to continue on with this awhile longer but you have definitly given me food for thought. :hmm:

Interesting! Thanks for the update. I will be interested in what else you pick up from your study. I am always looking to add things to my notes. I really like the "bone of my bone" thing that Adam told Eve and that Jesus tells us. We will be like Him and what an awesome time we will have.

That's interesting what you mentioned about Job. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing what else you find.

daughter
Jul 14th 2008, 12:56 PM

Sounds like an interesting study you are doing... and of course the fig tree, olive and vine all bear fruit in their season. Keep patiently searching the Word, and keep praying... one of the fruits that you can expect in your life is peace. You're going through a dry and lonely place right now (as BM suggests, a valley of bones) but it won't stay that way. And patiently trust God to give you fruit in your season.

(Hope that helps!)

Slug1
Jul 14th 2008, 03:18 PM
Christian, I was reading the Bible this morning and in my reading was this:

James 4

Do Not Boast About Tomorrow

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%204:13-18&version=50#fen-NKJV-30345a)] go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

I feel led to post this for you to read, so here it is.

givemegrace
Jul 14th 2008, 03:37 PM
O.K. heres my deal.

I have little joy.

I am a firm believer that the end times are VERY near. I feel like that little kid in the movie the sixth sense when he says "I see dead people." I see people caught up in the rat race of life and I see them blinded to whats coming and I feel bad for them. I try to help when I can, but I feel that no matter what I do I am never doing enough. Everything I see is always aflame. Whenever I see almost anything I think to myself, "that is going to get smashed soon." Billboards and advertisements and everything else on T.V. and radio feel like a personal assault to me. Every time I hear something about God on T.V. or radio I instantly go on guard for fear of false doctrine that will offend me. My knowledge is increased daily but it only brings more sorrow.

Going through my everyday life is more of a habit than a life. I feel like my flesh dies daily. I go to work simply to pay bills, and because if I didn't I would still be miserable at home anyway. My wife believes in God but thinks that I obsess over him. My family believes in God but thinks I'm crazy, so we don't talk about him anymore. I have one friend who believes in God like I do, and he is the only one I can talk too about it, but he is pretty much joyless as well. I don't enjoy anything in life at all anymore except my gardens, and you can only do so much weeding.

So....wheres the joy when everybody and everything I know is dead?:B

I have total faith in God, and there are very few moments in the day that I am not thinking about him. He is the first thing in my head in the morning and the last thing at night. I pray endlessly throughout the day. Yet I don't feel any joy.

So....where is the joy?

Christian I pray for your heart to be filled with joy :pray: Let others see your joy and let them come to know Our Lord and Saviour.

theleast
Jul 14th 2008, 03:51 PM
Christian, I was reading the Bible this morning and in my reading was this:

James 4

Do Not Boast About Tomorrow

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=James%204:13-18&version=50#fen-NKJV-30345a)] go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

I feel led to post this for you to read, so here it is.

Interesting that you were led to post that. It actually does have meaning for me. :hmm:

Yankee Candle
Jul 15th 2008, 06:15 PM
My dear friend in Christ,

I assure you that our Lord is going to do something soon that is going to electrify the hearts, minds, and sensibilities of every single person who really loves Jesus Christ.

"...weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."
Psalm 30:5

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/Martyrs5/Feb2413-1.jpg