PDA

View Full Version : Christian business: Hiring practices?

merjorg
Jul 11th 2008, 12:17 AM
Question: Let's say a Christian felt led to start a business. I'm not well-versed on the details of laws that pertain to hiring employees (laws, for instance, that say you cannot hire people based on their religious affiliation or beliefs) and I will look into it. But in order to seek the counsel of many what are some thoughts on whether to try to hire Christians vs. non-believers?

If a business is small, then often times friends, fellow church members, and close associates can become employees. When the business gets bigger, however (say 20-50 employees or more), should the owner still try to hire Christians?

I prayed on the issue and I believe my answer is: All are welcome and we do not live in a Christian bubble. But, there are verses about being very careful to make business transactions with certain people, etc, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!

BroRog
Jul 11th 2008, 01:58 AM
I hire the best qualified person I can find and I do not base my decision on whether the person is a Christian or not. I never ask at the interview. And I never bring the subject of my faith up at work.

However, that being said, I always give a straightforward casual answer to all inquires about my faith. And I am not shy about relating personal information concerning what I did on Sunday etc.

ravi4u2
Jul 11th 2008, 09:14 AM
There is no such thing as a "Christian Business".

RabbiKnife
Jul 11th 2008, 12:42 PM
And for a Christian, there is no such thing as a "secular business"!!!

For the Christian, there should be no separation, either in thought or act, between what we deem spiritual and what we deem natural.

merjorg
Jul 11th 2008, 03:14 PM
There is no such thing as a "Christian Business".

Yes, bad use of words on my part. What I meant was a business owned by someone who is a follower of Christ. That definitely does exist.

Friend of I AM
Jul 11th 2008, 03:21 PM
Yes, bad use of words on my part. What I meant was a business owned by someone who is a follower of Christ. That definitely does exist.

I think that ideally it would be a good to have a business with like minded people, I don't think the bible makes it a requirement to have a business with only people of your religion though. I'd actually say it would be a good thing to hire some people who don't have exactly the same background and throw them into the pot. Sometimes it makes for insightful and progressive business practices.

RabbiKnife
Jul 11th 2008, 03:29 PM
Sadly, in my experience, unbelievers are more trustworthy than Believers when it comes to handling my business.

Jesusinmyheart
Jul 11th 2008, 03:37 PM
Sadly, in my experience, unbelievers are more trustworthy than Believers when it comes to handling my business.

Unfortunatly i have to agree, i also find that this applies to many other situations aside from the work place.

I don't actually consider these Christians to be true Believers. By their fruit you shall know them.

Shalom,
Tanja

ravi4u2
Jul 12th 2008, 03:44 PM
Sadly, in my experience, unbelievers are more trustworthy than Believers when it comes to handling my business.I believe the word "believers", needs to be defined. If by "believers", you mean anybody who claim to be a Christian, then perhaps you may be right. But if by "believers", you mean those that are truly born again and filled with the Holy Spirit, then you are wrong. By their fruits, you shall know them, says the word.

Paul_born_again
Jul 12th 2008, 03:56 PM
My opinion: Hire the best candidate for the job. Afterwards, act in the best possible Christ-like way around your employees (treat them with respect, etc), so that the non-believers will see you as a role model and think "This boss is very loving and honorable. Maybe there is more to this "Christian-thing" than I thought", and you will plant seeds that way.