PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Understanding the new testament

Learning_of_God
Jul 15th 2008, 12:13 PM
hallo my name is lisa im 14 and im trying to read the bible but I seem unable to understand in Matthew 1:2 it states Abraham begot Isaac and so on what has me confused it when it states Jacob begot Joseph when in Luke 3:23 it says Jesus the son of Joseph the son of Heli.

Why does it say two different men one being Heli the other being Jacob?
Please help im trying to understand but I just cant.

Thank you.
Learning_of_God

daughter
Jul 15th 2008, 12:21 PM
It is two different genealogies. When you think of it, all people have two sets of ancestors, one on the mother's, one on the father's side.

Because Joseph was married to Mary, he is seen as being part of her family, so her ancestors become his ancestors. Someone will do a better job of explaining this than me, but that's the gist of it.

Learning_of_God
Jul 15th 2008, 12:33 PM
It is two different genealogies. When you think of it, all people have two sets of ancestors, one on the mother's, one on the father's side.

Because Joseph was married to Mary, he is seen as being part of her family, so her ancestors become his ancestors. Someone will do a better job of explaining this than me, but that's the gist of it.

Thank you very much for your answer

daughter
Jul 15th 2008, 12:43 PM
By the way, Lisa, it's nice to meet you, and I'm glad that at fourteen you already have the sense to search the scriptures. It took me another twenty one years before I realised what was important in life!

Learning_of_God
Jul 15th 2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you very much and its a pleasure to meet you

Partaker of Christ
Jul 15th 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Learning of God!

There are two lines of genealogy

The Abiud line, and the Rhesa line.

It can be a little complicated because of Jewish adoption laws.

This web site gives a explanation that may be helpful.

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9712chap.asp (http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1997/9712chap.asp)

Learning_of_God
Jul 15th 2008, 01:05 PM
Thank you very much your answer was very usful and it is begining to make more sence thank you.

theleast
Jul 15th 2008, 01:14 PM
Notice that the lineages in the two books are the same between Abraham and David. But after David there is a split. In the book or Mark David begets Solomon, which is the direct line to Joseph. Jacob begat Joseph, which means Joseph was his blood son. In the book of Luke, David begets Nathan instead of Solomon. I believe this is the direct line to Mary, so Heli would be Joseph's father in law, and daughter is correct that they would be considered his ancestors through marriage. We are seeing two lineages here. Jesus was tied to David through BOTH bloodlines! :idea:

I'm not Jewish so bear with me here. It was explained to me once upon a time that in Jewish tradition's the line of the mother was actually considered the dominant bloodline in a family. This went all the way back to Abraham. Because Abraham's first son was through a concubine, he was not considered to be the heir to Abraham. Only his son through Sara was considered the rightfull heir to the line of Abraham. That tradition was carried on in Jewish lineages, or so it was explained to me. The lineages however would still bear the name of the Father though. So the differences would be in the begats, and the "son of". Begat means that it is your son through blood, and "son of" could mean either that, or a son in law. But again I'm not Jewish. In most cultures the Fathers bloodline is considered dominant.

What is interesting to note here is that no matter which lineage you follow they both go back to David so in no way can you deny that Christ is in the lineage of Kings. :spin:

But correct me if I am wrong anybody, because I would love to learn anymore about this that I can. I consider bloodlines and lineages to be my achilles heel in my understanding of the Word.

Learning_of_God
Jul 15th 2008, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your reply im taking all into hand

Literalist-Luke
Jul 15th 2008, 02:41 PM
hallo my name is lisa im 14 and im trying to read the bible but I seem unable to understand in Matthew 1:2 it states Abraham begot Isaac and so on what has me confused it when it states Jacob begot Joseph when in Luke 3:23 it says Jesus the son of Joseph the son of Heli.

Why does it say two different men one being Heli the other being Jacob?
Please help im trying to understand but I just cant.It's two different Josephs, separated by a number of centuries.

RogerW
Jul 16th 2008, 12:18 AM
Often over looked in the genealogies is that Matthew begins with, or goes back to Abraham, showing Christ's devine nature, or supernatural, and Luke begins, or goes back to Adam, showing Christ's human or natural nature. In this there is no denying Christ is both fully human and fully Divine.

Many Blessings,
RW

Zack702
Jul 16th 2008, 02:01 AM
It's two different Josephs, separated by a number of centuries.
Yea without reference to scriptures this I gather is two different Josephs.
Jacobs son Joseph was the dreamer and one of the twelve tribes of Israel.
But Mary's husband was also named Joseph but was a man born many many years later.