PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to play video games?

bondservant4him
Jul 17th 2008, 03:14 PM
hello, im not sure what the age ratio is here in this forum, but i was wondering how many of you play video games and if it is ok to participate in them, as well as movies that are not christian.

Buck shot
Jul 17th 2008, 04:16 PM
there are many things that are not "good" for you. Do you know the old saying "you are what you eat"? It goes the same for your mind and heart.

It does not hurt anything to watch a movie that is not christian. The part that crosses the line is just how ungodly is the movie you are watching. I grew up with John Wayne but it really does not help in my growth with the Lord. We should remember that all things should be with moderation. There are many times I like to bowl on the Wii with the kids but we do not do it all the time. When watching TV, playing video games, or fishing becomes all you want to do, then that thing becomes a god to you.

A good way to look at is how much time do I spend talking about the Lord, reading about the Lord, and praying and singing to the Lord, compared to the time I spend with video games or movies? :hmm:

I hope this helps...

BrckBrln
Jul 17th 2008, 04:20 PM
My philosophy is that if you feel convicted over a certain game or movie then you shouldn't be playing/watching it. If you don't, then I don't see anything wrong with it (unless it's blatantly demonic or something).

bondservant4him
Jul 17th 2008, 04:45 PM
k because i am a video game fan and movie fan and most of the video games and movies arnt christian so i was just wondring, moderation is key. thanks

Athanasius
Jul 17th 2008, 05:57 PM
It depends on the game and the person.

Tanya~
Jul 17th 2008, 06:20 PM
Hi bondservant4him,

When you say the games are "not Christian" do you mean they lack Christian themes, or do you mean they are ungodly or blatantly anti-Christian? Would you want your pastor looking over your shoulder as you play the games?

If you are feeling convicted about it, then you need to listen to your own conscience (and the promptings of the Holy Spirit). The problem with continuing with "iffy" things is that it can put up a wall between you and God. Do you want to move forward in your faith? Then pursue the things that will support that. If these games are interfering with that, then you know what you would need to do about that.

bondservant4him
Jul 17th 2008, 07:22 PM
thanks, and they arnt anti christian just not christian, it is a world war 2 game to be exact.

Blessed Resistence
Jul 17th 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm also really into movies and games. If it's a game like Metal of honor or Call of duty, I don't see any harm, but like everyone said if you feel convicted about it then get rid of it. I recently threw away some movies and games because they were hurting me spiritually.

Bottom line, is just be carefull about what type of content you get in any type of media because it can lead you into sin, and away from God.

bondservant4him
Jul 17th 2008, 08:18 PM
yeh its call of duty 4, do you have it?

TruthFaith
Jul 17th 2008, 11:51 PM

If you love a girl then how hard would it be to resist?

ServantofTruth
Jul 18th 2008, 04:05 PM
I was brought up on James Bond films. I loved Goldeneye the computer game. Both make me extremely uncomfortable now.

I won't watch James Bond films because of mainly the many women he sleeps with. But also because 10's even 100's of people are killed and it just seems this 'death' is accepted and not important.

In the game Goldeneye, the player is James Bond, continuously killing people with many different weapons. At a guess you'd kill a couple of hundred at least people to finish the game - probably nearer 500? Why would a christian want to do this? and enjoy it?

Now i play football, on a 5 year old game. The game speed is slower than modern games and takes less control of my mind/ senses.

Perhaps it's just me, i hope not though, but why would a christian want to enjoy in their leisure time war and killing? All war is extremely sad, not a thing to enjoy, even in a game. Love and God bless, Paul/ Servant of Truth. :pray:

Athanasius
Jul 18th 2008, 07:25 PM
I try to play through every FPS game I have at least two different ways.
No kills that can be avoided, so only boss battles.
Headshot everything :P

ServantofTruth
Jul 18th 2008, 07:34 PM
Of course with cheat codes you can be invisible and / or invinsible. But it makes the game pointless, but is fun the first time you do it. :cool: Paul/ SOFTy.

ImmenseDisciple
Jul 18th 2008, 10:50 PM
It depends on the game and the person.
I'd agree with this big time. I've known people who get really, really angry when they're playing games - and that's such a clear sign to me that they shouldn't be playing. But they don't see it that way...

Be aware of how it changes your mood for the hours following, and play in moderation. Also be aware of why you're playing in the first place - if you feel like you need to relieve tension, then playing violent games is probably a really bad call. If you just want to have fun, it's obviously a very different matter, but still, approach with caution.

BrckBrln
Jul 18th 2008, 11:08 PM
No kills that can be avoided, so only boss battles.

I do this sometimes when playing Hitman but sometimes I will just see if I can kill everybody. :)

That may sound harsh and what not but I really don't see the big deal. I mean, it's just like if you rob a bank with a toy gun painted black and you get caught, then they will charge you with armed robbery. I think that's stupid because the gun wasn't real and you couldn't hurt anybody with it. The same with FPS games, it's not real and if you can tell reality from fantasy then it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Sjohn1107
Jul 19th 2008, 05:30 AM
The question is not if,"the game is christian" or not..tell u the truth the most of the world isnt christian and are we supposed to avoid it?..absolutly not..the bible states what the does and dont's are and how we should approach things..it's not a wrong to play games or do other activities as long as it's not affecting your relationship with god and causing you to sin..if so i suggest you abstain from somethin you are not mentally and spiritually ready to handle..in Ex. say your parents buy you a new fast sports car and you don't know how to drive,would you go out a drive the car?.. or would you wait until you are ready and taught how to drive carefully and safely..i would take the 2nd option..god never controls our actions as robots..we have the chose to think what's right and holy and if well dwell on those thoughts then god will certainally help you...

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.-Philippians 4:8

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.-1 corinthians 16:13

Sjohn1107
Jul 19th 2008, 05:39 AM
Also put on the armor of god to help you:)...

Ephesians 6:10-18

"10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

Rhyfelwr
Jul 19th 2008, 04:47 PM
I spend a lot of my time on my PC, usually playing war games based around ancient Rome and medieval Europe.

I'm also very interested in the history of these periods, and I don't see how studying it could be un-Christian. It is just a hobby for me.

Whispering Grace
Jul 19th 2008, 04:56 PM
hello, im not sure what the age ratio is here in this forum, but i was wondering how many of you play video games and if it is ok to participate in them, as well as movies that are not christian.

I guess I would have to ask you how video games serve to draw you closer to the Lord and aid in your Christian walk?

Aren't there more God-centered ways you can spend your time, such as in prayer, Bible study, sharing the Gospel, serving in the church/community, etc?

Sjohn1107
Jul 19th 2008, 06:23 PM
I guess I would have to ask you how video games serve to draw you closer to the Lord and aid in your Christian walk?

Aren't there more God-centered ways you can spend your time, such as in prayer, Bible study, sharing the Gospel, serving in the church/community, etc?

That is true..there are other ways that he could spend his time to serve god,like reading the bible and others..but that's between him and god and for none of us to decide how another man's spends his time as long as he is still active in christian walk,there no reason why he couldnt have fun playing games and watching movies or whatever else he wants to do thats not tempting him to sin or whateva..remember all of us are different and god reaches us in different ways..the method you use your time,may not be the method how he uses his..god did not say he does not want us to have fun...he wants us to be joyful and keep our lives holy..trust me there are PLENTY of more worse things then playing video games..point is,if it is conflicting with your time with god..then you cut it..but as long as you keep god first in your life and not the video games then you should be good brother:)...

ServantofTruth
Jul 19th 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm apparently unable to give you more reputation Whispering Grace - but i want you to know, you talk a lot of common sense. :)

I have been there, spending hours on games computers and even hours on christian web sites. Sometimes we just have to switch off and say how can we fill our time better, doing what the bible tells us that God wants us to do.

How much did that computer cost? Having the latest games, is that really neccessary? Couldn't this money be spent on tracts/ gospels and the time spent distributing them?

Yes balance and a little fun. But how many of us spend more time on line than in God's work? Love,

SofTy

BondServantDoulos
Jul 19th 2008, 07:45 PM
This can be an issue, but let me put it this way...
I am/was an avid gamer.. I was able to play the RPG/ sword-sorcery types "Morrowind" and "Oblivion" through completely as only a "good" character and without using any magic... but then realized that just because I could did not mean that a weaker brother or sister could handle the games without greater temptation.. You can do very nasty things in those plot-lines if you are not carefull.
Further, When I deleted my computer games and put all the time I had been spending on them into reading my Bible, I was able to read the whole thing Genesis to Revelation, in just over four months !!

I am presently working on resisting the temptation to buy Fallout 3 when it comes out because I really liked the story line and artwork of the first two..

Yes, you can play games, but remember that you are a "bondservant" of Jesus Christ..
I now ask myself, Is there anything else you could be doing to please HIM instead??

Blessed Resistence
Jul 22nd 2008, 06:06 PM

No, I don't have COD4 yet, but my cousin has it and said it's awesome, I will have to buy it sometime. I just beat Halo 3, and am now currently playing Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I'm also a big Rainbow Six fan; have you've played Rainbow Six before?

bondservant4him
Jul 23rd 2008, 04:20 PM
only the n64 one when i was younger and it was very fun

ServantofTruth
Jul 23rd 2008, 05:11 PM
This can be an issue, but let me put it this way...
I am/was an avid gamer.. I was able to play the RPG/ sword-sorcery types "Morrowind" and "Oblivion" through completely as only a "good" character and without using any magic... but then realized that just because I could did not mean that a weaker brother or sister could handle the games without greater temptation.. You can do very nasty things in those plot-lines if you are not carefull.
Further, When I deleted my computer games and put all the time I had been spending on them into reading my Bible, I was able to read the whole thing Genesis to Revelation, in just over four months !!

I am presently working on resisting the temptation to buy Fallout 3 when it comes out because I really liked the story line and artwork of the first two..

Yes, you can play games, but remember that you are a "bondservant" of Jesus Christ..
I now ask myself, Is there anything else you could be doing to please HIM instead??

If your read the whole bible in 4 months great. Now take a bible book and study it for a YEAR. Each time we re read a bible book we move to a new level of understanding.

Then don't keep that learning to yourself, share it in a group, on line with family /friends. Get out on the street with a bible and share the gospel with non believers.

Why is it so many christians read the bible like a cheep novel and then say i've completed it, now i have more time for FUN. This is a general comment, NOT aimed at you personally.

There are seekers on this site who need YOUR help every day. Please spend less time playing pointless games, and share your God given WISDOM with those who are lost and blind in satan's world.

BIG SofTy :)

ImmenseDisciple
Jul 27th 2008, 08:29 AM
I find it fascinating that over the past few days, the Spirit has been thoroughly convicting me whenever I start to play Team Fortress 2. When I'm playing Call of Duty 4, however, it's only when I've been playing too long that the feeling starts to come.

It's so clear to me that no one can say to another believer "You're fine to play this game..." or "You can't play on anything like that game" because it really is down to God to show us what we individually should and shouldn't be doing. It seems similarly clear, though, that whatever we're playing, we absolutely must play in moderation.

I would have to say that Christians unfamiliar with the Spirit's guiding pull within them should proceed with extreme caution, and highly limit both what they play and how long they play for.