mikebr
Jul 20th 2008, 07:13 PM
In what sense is Jesus God's son?

Clydson
Jul 20th 2008, 07:34 PM
"The only begotten";

John 1:14

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

NKJV

mikebr
Jul 20th 2008, 07:41 PM
"The only begotten";

John 1:14

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

NKJV

OK in what sense was He begotten. Was He created at some point or is He eternal like the Father. I could have just as easily asked in what sense is God the Father, a father. Everything that was created was created by Jesus. If we are talking about His physical birth was He son before he became flesh?

BroRog
Jul 20th 2008, 07:46 PM
Jesus is God's son in the same sense that Solomon was God's son.

We read in 2Samuel 7, speaking of Solomon God says,

He will build a house for my name, and I will make his dynasty permanent. I will become his father and he will become my son. When he sins, I will correct him with the rod of men and with wounds inflicted by human beings. But my loyal love will not be removed from him as I removed it from Saul, whom I removed from before you. Your house and your kingdom will stand before me permanently; your dynasty will be permanent.

BroRog
Jul 20th 2008, 07:50 PM
OK in what sense was He begotten. Was He created at some point or is He eternal like the Father. I could have just as easily asked in what sense is God the Father, a father. Everything that was created was created by Jesus. If we are talking about His physical birth was He son before he became flesh?

The term "only begotten" is a translation of the Greek word "monogenes", which means "unique son" just as Isaac was Abraham's unique, but not only, physical heir.

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac. He had received the promises, yet he was ready to offer up his (monogenes) only son.

Jesus was a son of God in the same sense that Solomon was a son but unlike Solomon, Jesus was uniquely THE SON of God in the line of David, destined to be the one who would fulfill the promise that a son of David would rule in righteousness and truth.

mikebr
Jul 20th 2008, 07:57 PM
In your opinions what did the Trinity look like before Creation. Obviously it was very relational. In what sense were They related? By theway I believe whole heartedly in the Trinity.