PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Pentecostal/church of God beliefs speaking in tongues and baptized in the Holy Spirit

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 21st 2008, 03:17 PM
I attended a Freewill Baptist church for a couple of year until a couple months ago. I'm now going to a Penecostal church. They believe in speaking in tongues and being baptized in the Holy Spirit. I witnessed this for the first time while at camp a couple of weeks ago and again last night at the revival. I want to get a better understand on their beliefs in speaking in tongues and being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

There is a guy that I'm interested in that goes to the church that is having the revival. He's working towards being ordain, so I figured he would know a lot about this. Last night I gave him my number and asked him to call me today so I could ask him about these things. But I really don't know what exactly to ask him about it. What are some questions that I may be able to ask him about to get a better understand about being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues?

Last night was the first time that my mom had been to a service like that and as soon as alter call started she got up and went outside because she was uncomfortable with what was going on. I'm also still a bit uncomfortable with it since all of this is new to me, but I figure that if I learn more about this, then I'd be more comfortable.

Whispering Grace
Jul 21st 2008, 03:23 PM
I guess your best bet is to ask him the Scriptural basis for being baptized in the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues. That's a good place to start, anyway.

You could always post your questions here in Bible Chat, but be forewarned you will get many conflicting answers (as there are many here who don't share the Pentecostal views of speaking in tongues and being baptized in the Holy Ghost).

th1bill
Jul 21st 2008, 07:09 PM
I attended a Freewill Baptist church for a couple of year until a couple months ago. I'm now going to a Penecostal church. They believe in speaking in tongues and being baptized in the Holy Spirit. I witnessed this for the first time while at camp a couple of weeks ago and again last night at the revival. I want to get a better understand on their beliefs in speaking in tongues and being baptized in the Holy Spirit.

There is a guy that I'm interested in that goes to the church that is having the revival. He's working towards being ordain, so I figured he would know a lot about this. Last night I gave him my number and asked him to call me today so I could ask him about these things. But I really don't know what exactly to ask him about it. What are some questions that I may be able to ask him about to get a better understand about being baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues?

Last night was the first time that my mom had been to a service like that and as soon as alter call started she got up and went outside because she was uncomfortable with what was going on. I'm also still a bit uncomfortable with it since all of this is new to me, but I figure that if I learn more about this, then I'd be more comfortable.
... You said that you attended a Baptist Church but you said nothing about having been saved, they are very much different. If you are uncomfortable in the service it might be that you should do as your mother and understand that as a red flag.
... As for questions, the first and most important is, "Must one speak in tongues to be saved?" Then, regardless of his answer you need to call his pastor and ask the same question. If the answer is "no" they might be solidly based and other basic questions need to be asked. If the answer is "yes," run like Satan is touching your back, he is a member of a cult.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 21st 2008, 08:18 PM
Yes, I've been saved a little over a year. My mom is also saved, but is in a backslidden condition.

th1bill
Jul 21st 2008, 08:41 PM
Yes, I've been saved a little over a year. My mom is also saved, but is in a backslidden condition.
... That tells me that both of you were alerted by the Spirit of God that where you were was not the right place. All you really need to do is to ask yourself what are you going to decide to do. Will you obey God or strike out on your own, without Him? You need not answer that question to me for this is between you and God.

Whispering Grace
Jul 21st 2008, 09:01 PM
... That tells me that both of you were alerted by the Spirit of God that where you were was not the right place.

I suppose that would depend on her mother's reason for being uncomfortable. She never said what about the alter call made her mom uncomfortable, so I don't think there is a need to jump to conclusions about this not being the right place for them.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 22nd 2008, 01:48 AM
I personally liked that you could really feel and see the Holy Spirit working in this church. I hadn't experienced that in a long time. But I guess I'm just uncomfortable because this is all new to me.

My mom was uncomfortable with everything about the alter call. With people yelling, speaking in tongues, falling to the floor. She got up and left as soon as it started. She also went outside at another church we visited a couple of weeks ago during services because she didn't like the bible study. But I'm concerned that she's not comfortable with church in general. She also seemed uncomfortable and uninterested at the Baptist church that she went to a few times.

I don't think this church is right for my parents, which really bothers me. There are so many possibilities (ministries and things like that) for me there. But I want to go to a church where my parents may go with me.

There is also a guy that goes to this church that I'm interested in. He's working on being ordained which is what attracted me to him the most. So I hope that I will come to understand and feel comfortable with their doctrine and beliefs.

th1bill
Jul 22nd 2008, 02:36 AM
I personally liked that you could really feel and see the Holy Spirit working in this church. I hadn't experienced that in a long time. But I guess I'm just uncomfortable because this is all new to me.

My mom was uncomfortable with everything about the alter call. With people yelling, speaking in tongues, falling to the floor. She got up and left as soon as it started. She also went outside at another church we visited a couple of weeks ago during services because she didn't like the bible study. But I'm concerned that she's not comfortable with church in general. She also seemed uncomfortable and uninterested at the Baptist church that she went to a few times.

I don't think this church is right for my parents, which really bothers me. There are so many possibilities (ministries and things like that) for me there. But I want to go to a church where my parents may go with me.

There is also a guy that goes to this church that I'm interested in. He's working on being ordained which is what attracted me to him the most. So I hope that I will come to understand and feel comfortable with their doctrine and beliefs.
... I'm going to give you a true life example from my own past so please do not concentrate on me but the moral.
... As a soldier, I never went anywhere in the combat zone without a couple of loaded guns. One day I walked into an eatery just outside my base of operations and was immediately struck with an ill feeling. As I sat down to order I took the retainer loop off my pistol and as I sat my rifle down beside me I felt for my spare piece in my trousers and thumbed the safety off on the forty-five there. Immediately a Vietnamese man jumped up and through some local money on the table and quickly left. Mama-san came over to me and told me it was good that I had my weapons today and she left through the kitchen taking everyone with her. I brought myself into full battle ready and sure enough the gent returned with an American made pistol.
... I was never comfortable in Vietnam and every time I've been uncomfortable, since taking the LORD as my Savior, there has been something wrong.
... We had young soldiers that became accustomed to their circumstances and all of them died because they lowered their guard. The folks in Jonestown are all dead because they became so comfortable that they ceased to check what they were being taught with the written word of God's Scriptures. The same is true of David Koresh's followers, the LDS, the Witness' and millions of others in the cults today.
... You and your mother must try to seek after God and allow Him to give to you the right things to have, including a mate. And never, ever, ignore your feeling and just get used to them. My feelings are one very large reason I survived three tours of Combat.

Athanasius
Jul 22nd 2008, 04:29 AM

Some questions?

1. Are tongues the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Spirit?
2. If you don't speak in tongues, are you still saved?
3. Where in the Bible is this supported?
4. Do you believe we all speak in tongues, or just a few?
5. Why does your church allow yelling when Paul commands order?
6. Do you feel those who speak in tongues have a better relationship with the Lord?
7. What is the purpose of tongues?
8. Have you ever spoken in tongues?
9. What do you believe the 'perfect' is that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13:10? Is the partial here referring to manifestations of the Spirit, such as tongues?
10. Do you ever 'challenge' what's going on in your church?

Literalist-Luke
Jul 22nd 2008, 03:59 PM
... I'm going to give you a true life example from my own past so please do not concentrate on me but the moral.
... As a soldier, I never went anywhere in the combat zone without a couple of loaded guns. One day I walked into an eatery just outside my base of operations and was immediately struck with an ill feeling. As I sat down to order I took the retainer loop off my pistol and as I sat my rifle down beside me I felt for my spare piece in my trousers and thumbed the safety off on the forty-five there. Immediately a Vietnamese man jumped up and through some local money on the table and quickly left. Mama-san came over to me and told me it was good that I had my weapons today and she left through the kitchen taking everyone with her. I brought myself into full battle ready and sure enough the gent returned with an American made pistol.
... I was never comfortable in Vietnam and every time I've been uncomfortable, since taking the LORD as my Savior, there has been something wrong.
... We had young soldiers that became accustomed to their circumstances and all of them died because they lowered their guard. The folks in Jonestown are all dead because they became so comfortable that they ceased to check what they were being taught with the written word of God's Scriptures. The same is true of David Koresh's followers, the LDS, the Witness' and millions of others in the cults today.
... You and your mother must try to seek after God and allow Him to give to you the right things to have, including a mate. And never, ever, ignore your feeling and just get used to them. My feelings are one very large reason I survived three tours of Combat.
There's some excellent wisdom here. :thumbsup:

Literalist-Luke
Jul 22nd 2008, 04:06 PM
I'm also still a bit uncomfortable with it since all of this is new to me, but I figure that if I learn more about this, then I'd be more comfortable.I'm not going to try to impose my beliefs on you, but I will tell you that a large number of Christians (including myself) are convinced that "tongues" is something that no longer authentically occurs. There's a long explanation from the Bible behind that which I won't bore you with right now. If you're not comfortable with it, you might want to reconsider if this guy is really somebody you want to pursue. I know it probably seems like I'm switching gears on you from the other thread, but this tongues thing hadn't come up. I'm not saying you should drop it just because he goes to a church that practices tongues because, again, I'm not going to try to impose my beliefs on you. But if your beliefs are out of synch with his beliefs, that could lead to major problems down the road if the two of you were to pursue a long-term relationship. Be careful. :yes:

cheech
Jul 22nd 2008, 05:11 PM
I highly suggest you go directly to the Bible for your answers regarding tongues and being baptized in the Holy Spirit. Here are some scriptures you can read:

1 Corinthians 12, 1 Corinthians 13, 1 Corinthians 14, Mark 16:15

I myself attend a Pentecostal church. If I had sought this out a few years ago, I would not have been ready for it (unless my parents had gone to it maybe). Meaning, because of my lack of knowledge in the Bible, I would have probably found it uncomfortable. I was brought up in one religion and remained in it for many years, going to church regularly, until I became closer to Christ and yearned for more learning. God realized this and sent a Pastor from another religion into my path. My husband, child and I began attending church there and we learned so much while attending Bible study. Our faith grew stronger and I became part of a ministry. When we moved, we attended a church of the same religion where we moved too. We again learned much and I now became director of this same ministry as the last one I was in. By this time, God had gotten me through many fears and problems as he did with my husband and child. We were constantly growing, but for us we still needed to learn more and through friends we came upon the church we are in now and we are getting ready to begin the same type of ministry in this church as well. These were all stepping stones to where God wanted us to be where he had planned on using us to expand his Kingdom. I guess I can say this church is a tamer Pentecostal church :lol:. Some do speak in tongues but not to disturb during service although once in a while you will hear it from the Pastor when in prayer off to the side and from one of the Elder's. Neither my husband nor I nor several in the church speak tongues and that's ok. If you look at the scriptures I gave you, although one can do this after being baptized in the Holy Spirit, not all are given the same gifts either. Paul even says it's not the top gift to have. At altar calls, there have been a few who have dropped like hotcakes when prayed for but not all the time. My family is probably the most reserved people there but are loosening up a bit :D. It's ok though. People worship in different ways...we are just more reserved than others...and it's ok.

It sounds to me like mom may be uncomfortable with church period and in this case a Pentecostal church may be too much for her...yet you said Bible study was uncomfortable for her. Maybe there was something she wasn't understanding. She needs to speak to someone who can guide her.

I do have to agree with the1bill...sometimes we have to listen to our feelings cuz ya just never know. But there are other times where fear will hinder us from moving forward also...that was the case with myself.

Study your bible...that way you can make sure the church you do decide on is biblically sound. Attend a bible study to learn more. Always ask questions. And most importantly...when in doubt...go to God. We must always seek God's will and answers. We can ask a hundred people advice and get a hundred different responses due to personal views, but God will always give you the answers you are looking for. He will lead you in the right direction...allow him to do so. If you know the word of God, you have a better chance at not being deceived.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

It's true some feel that tongues (along with other gifts of the spirit according to some) are no longer necessary or used, but then again, Christ didn't specify a timeline or an expiration date on these gifts (not that I could find but you can go to God with that one ;)).

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 22nd 2008, 08:07 PM
This is all just confusing to me in general. There are so many things in the bible that I don't really have any beliefs on one way or the other yet because I haven't studied the bible very in depth. So I'm going study the scripture on this that is mentioned and some other to try to get a better understanding of this to see what I believe about it. The church that I left a few weeks ago was the only Freewill Baptist church in my area, so I'm going to be faced with this no matter what church I go to since all denominations have different doctrine beliefs.

I just don't understand why there are so many different denominations and beliefs. What's important is we as Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and is God in the flesh, that He died on the cross for our sins and rose on the third day. And is now at the right hand of the Father in Heaven as an intercessor.

th1bill
Jul 22nd 2008, 10:09 PM
This is all just confusing to me in general. There are so many things in the bible that I don't really have any beliefs on one way or the other yet because I haven't studied the bible very in depth. So I'm going study the scripture on this that is mentioned and some other to try to get a better understanding of this to see what I believe about it. The church that I left a few weeks ago was the only Freewill Baptist church in my area, so I'm going to be faced with this no matter what church I go to since all denominations have different doctrine beliefs.

I just don't understand why there are so many different denominations and beliefs. What's important is we as Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and is God in the flesh, that He died on the cross for our sins and rose on the third day. And is now at the right hand of the Father in Heaven as an intercessor.
... It is a tough thing for a young lady or gent to figure out. When you boil it all down it is very simple and most churches calling themselves Christian, not all, are grounded in the basics. There will be a lot of bickering over this one but the only thing you need for your salvation is to believe that Jesus was who He said He was and that He died for your sins. (Acts 2:21) Then other essentials are belief in the Virgin Birth, belief in the Death, Burial and the Resurrection. You will likely see many others come along and add to this list and every time you see one that involves you doing something other than believing, remember Ephesians 2:8, we are saved by faith, just as Abraham was. (Heb. 11:all) I am not a Bible scholar, I just a very old man that our LORD took mercy upon but if there is anything I can help you with about the Bible, please do not hesitate to email, PM, IM or ask me here. I have but one mission and that is to help folks.

Athanasius
Jul 23rd 2008, 01:35 AM

Well, start studying that Bible in depth then :}

Denominations, for the most part, really don't have to be divisions.

I am a Christian who worships corporately with people who consider themselves Pentecostal. I'm a Christian who attends a Pentecostal church. While my beliefs line up more with Pentecostalism than with Baptist doctrine, I wouldn't call myself Pentecostal. The only reason I attend a Pentecostal church is because, like I said, our views are similar.

Which Jesus are we talking about? Did He die for all our sins, or for only the sins of the elect? Was he crucified on a cross, or on a stake? Was someone crucified in the place of Jesus? Did he rise spiritually or physically? Is Jesus really at the right hand of the Father, or is Jesus now embodied as the Holy Spirit? Those are some short reasons why there are so many different denominations. Now you might think the answers to these are obvious, but you'd be surprised...

Beautifully Tragic
Jul 23rd 2008, 03:17 AM
I was in a similar situation once. My brother was attending a pentecostal church (AOG) and, since I was living with him at the time, I decided to go along too. And to this day I honestly believe than the Holy Spirit was there, you could feel it.

But that wasn't the church for me. They had a lot of practices that I didn't agree with. They had an attitude that everyone should be speaking in tongues. They shared holy Communion once a month, max (I actually started to miss it) and when they did share it, they would give it out to everyone and say "We're gonna share in communion now" (and didn't say anything else. A new Christian would be confused).

There was also a big push to give them money. They would speak about giving them money sometimes for longer than sermon. Often I would feel uncomfortable, and sometimes being there triggered panic attacks. The turning point for me was when they said "If you aren't gettign anything out of this church, it's because you're not giving enough money"

But the thing is, even though I absolutely hated being there, the Holy Spirit was present in those people. Maybe those people needed a church like that. I didn't, but that doesn't mean they didn't. I go to an Anglican church because that's a place where I feel at home, and I enjoy the worship there.

You should go somewhere you feel comfortable. That doesn't mean that your church is bad, it might just be bad for you. Find what's right for you, what helps you best to grow, and stick with that. And if that means "sampling" a bunch of churches until you find one that feels right, so be it.

RoadWarrior
Jul 23rd 2008, 03:30 AM

LivingByFaith, this is an important issue for you, studying the scripture. You did ask about it in one of your earlier threads as well, and I think you never got a really good answer. I'd like to make a suggestion that I think will help you. There is a really good book that helps beginners to learn how to study the Bible. It is by Kay Arthur, and the title is "Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days." You can do this study on your own, or you can do it with a friend, but it will open up the Bible to you in a new and wonderful way.

Since you have an interest in a young man who sees his future as an ordained pastor, then you would benefit by becoming the kind of woman that would be an asset to such a man. Begin by focusing on how to be a more Godly woman - learn to study the Bible for yourself, learn how to truly pray effective prayers. Participate in worship with your whole heart.

May the Lord reveal to you clearly what His plan is for your life.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 23rd 2008, 06:37 PM
Should I talk to the guy that I'm interested in about this again or should I wait until I have a better understanding on it and figure out for myself how I feel? I know I need to find out where this guy stands on this since it has to do with his church beliefs and he is working on being ordained. But I don't know if I want him to know how confused I am right now.

RoadWarrior
Jul 23rd 2008, 07:05 PM
Should I talk to the guy that I'm interested in about this again or should I wait until I have a better understanding on it and figure out for myself how I feel? I know I need to find out where this guy stands on this since it has to do with his church beliefs and he is working on being ordained. But I don't know if I want him to know how confused I am right now.

I think the right thing to do is to work on yourself. As you grow and blossom, he is likely to notice you. Then, instead of you chasing him, he will be pursuing you. And that leads to a better relationship, long-term. Guys like to think it was their idea in the first place.

In the meantime, pray that the Lord will open the doors He wants open, and close the ones He wants closed. His way is always so much better than the one we would have chosen for ourselves.

Athanasius
Jul 24th 2008, 02:46 AM

Why don't you just talk with him? That way you learn about the beliefs and you learn about him. But then again, RoadWarrior is filled with a lot more wisdom than I ;)

Literalist-Luke
Jul 24th 2008, 03:03 AM
I think the right thing to do is to work on yourself. As you grow and blossom, he is likely to notice you. Then, instead of you chasing him, he will be pursuing you. And that leads to a better relationship, long-term. Guys like to think it was their idea in the first place.I'm not sure I would agree with this. I'm sure it's true some of the time that "guys like to think it was their idea", but, speaking as a guy (who is single), if a lady started showing an interest in me at church, I would be very intrigued. I wouldn't give a rip if it was her idea or mine. The only things I would care about are (1) Do we have common interests/values? and (2) Is she somebody I would want to look at across the table? I don't mean she needs to be pageant gorgeous or anything, just not barf ugly. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/litluke/puke.gif

In addition, some guys (like me) find good-looking women intimidating. I actually get a little nervous over the idea of going up to a nice-looking woman and trying to initiate a relationship. I suppose the idea is floating around in the back of my mind that "surely anybody this good-looking has already got somebody in her life" or "Why would somebody this good-looking ever be interested in me?"

I know there was a time that it was considered improper for a woman to make the first approach, but there's nothing in the Bible to support that, and to be honest, I think it stifles potentially wonderful relationships.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 24th 2008, 04:15 AM
I talked to him for a while tonight and I think the conversation went rather well. He seemed very understanding about my concerns. He said that he was uncomfortable with some things when he first witnessed it himself.

The only thing that I don't agree with him about is my parents. I told him that I didn't think that church would be right for my parents, but he said they should be fine coming there. But I think the services are a bit too much for them. I feel that they need a more mellow church. My mom again didn't enjoy the services tonight, but she also didn't feel well when she got there, so that did play a part in it tonight.

Bethany67
Jul 24th 2008, 05:12 AM
What is the reason that you and your parents must go to the same church?

Athanasius
Jul 24th 2008, 05:14 AM

I agree with the above. I'll make a slight admission... When my parents are at church, I'm not nearly as interested as when they aren't. I get the constant feeling of 'are my parents watching?'.

Really great parents, but I still get self-conscious around them.

RoadWarrior
Jul 24th 2008, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure I would agree with this. I'm sure it's true some of the time that "guys like to think it was their idea", but, speaking as a guy (who is single), if a lady started showing an interest in me at church, I would be very intrigued. I wouldn't give a rip if it was her idea or mine. The only things I would care about are (1) Do we have common interests/values? and (2) Is she somebody I would want to look at across the table? I don't mean she needs to be pageant gorgeous or anything, just not barf ugly. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/litluke/puke.gif

In addition, some guys (like me) find good-looking women intimidating. I actually get a little nervous over the idea of going up to a nice-looking woman and trying to initiate a relationship. I suppose the idea is floating around in the back of my mind that "surely anybody this good-looking has already got somebody in her life" or "Why would somebody this good-looking ever be interested in me?"

I know there was a time that it was considered improper for a woman to make the first approach, but there's nothing in the Bible to support that, and to be honest, I think it stifles potentially wonderful relationships.

Thank you for your view Luke. It is always good to hear the perspective of a man.

I don't think this is about being old-fashioned, however. I think it is about setting the proper roles of relationship.

It is very easy for a lady to communicate her interest in a man but should stop somehat short of "chasing after him."

The strength of a marriage (assuming that is the ultimate goal) must be built on the Biblical foundation. If the woman takes the authoritative role from the beginning, it is diffiicult to ever shift it the other way around. That's my view, others might see it differently.

renthead188
Jul 24th 2008, 05:42 AM
I was in a similar situation once. My brother was attending a pentecostal church (AOG) and, since I was living with him at the time, I decided to go along too. And to this day I honestly believe than the Holy Spirit was there, you could feel it.

But that wasn't the church for me. They had a lot of practices that I didn't agree with. They had an attitude that everyone should be speaking in tongues. They shared holy Communion once a month, max (I actually started to miss it) and when they did share it, they would give it out to everyone and say "We're gonna share in communion now" (and didn't say anything else. A new Christian would be confused).

There was also a big push to give them money. They would speak about giving them money sometimes for longer than sermon. Often I would feel uncomfortable, and sometimes being there triggered panic attacks. The turning point for me was when they said "If you aren't gettign anything out of this church, it's because you're not giving enough money"

But the thing is, even though I absolutely hated being there, the Holy Spirit was present in those people. Maybe those people needed a church like that. I didn't, but that doesn't mean they didn't. I go to an Anglican church because that's a place where I feel at home, and I enjoy the worship there.

You should go somewhere you feel comfortable. That doesn't mean that your church is bad, it might just be bad for you. Find what's right for you, what helps you best to grow, and stick with that. And if that means "sampling" a bunch of churches until you find one that feels right, so be it.

This sounds familiar. It sounds exactly like the AOG church that I attended (a couple of services) last year. It was very money centered... I remembered seeing a banner that said something about God blessing your health, wealth and spirit. During the service the Pastor asked for money for something... "Who can give $100... $200... $500" etc. People came up and stood before the congregation...From what I can gather... the belief is that if you give something to the church ($5) God will return it to you fourfold ($20) afterwards.

Granted I've been to three services at this church and this is the only one that was like that. I would agree, however, about churches like this.

Would anyone be able to share about other AOG Pentecostal churches? Are these two that we've found representitive of the others?

Chris

Bethany67
Jul 24th 2008, 05:48 AM
I didn't find that in the AOG - sounds like Word of Faith contamination. However I did find in my local AOG that people mattered less than the church programme.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 24th 2008, 05:54 AM
I talked to him for a while tonight and I think the conversation went rather well. He seemed very understanding about my concerns. He said that he was uncomfortable with some things when he first witnessed it himself.

The only thing that I don't agree with him about is my parents. I told him that I didn't think that church would be right for my parents, but he said they should be fine coming there. But I think the services are a bit too much for them. I feel that they need a more mellow church. My mom again didn't enjoy the services tonight, but she also didn't feel well when she got there, so that did play a part in it tonight.Just to be absolutely totally nosy, :D what exactly is it about this guy that attracts your interest?

renthead188
Jul 24th 2008, 05:55 AM
I didn't find that in the AOG - sounds like Word of Faith contamination. However I did find in my local AOG that people mattered less than the church programme.

Word of Faith Contamination? Could you elaborate? The reason that I ask is that there is a girl that I have been praying about for awhile who attends this church. I know that she loves Christ, but there is a deep connection to this particular church in her life. If am thinking (I am) and praying (I am) about getting more involved in this girl's life, that should include beings acquainted with her church. There are other things that I have heard that have alarmed me, besides the money thing, but I would ask you to explain "Word of Faith Contamination" to me. Thank you.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 24th 2008, 06:00 AM
Thank you for your view Luke. It is always good to hear the perspective of a man.

I don't think this is about being old-fashioned, however. I think it is about setting the proper roles of relationship.

It is very easy for a lady to communicate her interest in a man but should stop somehat short of "chasing after him."

The strength of a marriage (assuming that is the ultimate goal) must be built on the Biblical foundation. If the woman takes the authoritative role from the beginning, it is diffiicult to ever shift it the other way around. That's my view, others might see it differently.Oh, I agree. I don't even like the idea of a man "chasing after" a woman. To me, if there's enough in common, there won't have to be any "chasing after". If a woman is so disinterested in me that I have to "chase after her" before I can get a relationship going, then she's not the one for me. Sure I'll introduce myself and see if she would be interested in having lunch together or something else like that and take the time for us to get to know each other, but beyond that, if she doesn't desire enough to be around me that I have to "chase after her", then it's just not meant to be. This is, of course, only my personal opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth. ;)

Bethany67
Jul 24th 2008, 06:03 AM
Word of Faith Contamination? Could you elaborate? The reason that I ask is that there is a girl that I have been praying about for awhile who attends this church. I know that she loves Christ, but there is a deep connection to this particular church in her life. If am thinking (I am) and praying (I am) about getting more involved in this girl's life, that should include beings acquainted with her church. There are other things that I have heard that have alarmed me, besides the money thing, but I would ask you to explain "Word of Faith Contamination" to me. Thank you.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but if you want to start a new one somewhere I'll happily discuss there later (off to work soon). There may even be a thread already on WOF somewhere?

renthead188
Jul 24th 2008, 06:06 AM
I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but if you want to start a new one somewhere I'll happily discuss there later (off to work soon). There may even be a thread already on WOF somewhere?

This is true, I was thinking of starting a thread about this very subject when I stumbled upon this one while scrolling down the index. I will start a thread on this subject soon, in the past few minutes I've done a quick search for WORD OF FAITH and what I've found matches with this church, but I agree about the OP we should leave it for now. I will start a thread about this tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!

Chris

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 24th 2008, 09:44 PM
LivingByFaith, this is an important issue for you, studying the scripture. You did ask about it in one of your earlier threads as well, and I think you never got a really good answer. I'd like to make a suggestion that I think will help you. There is a really good book that helps beginners to learn how to study the Bible. It is by Kay Arthur, and the title is "Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days." You can do this study on your own, or you can do it with a friend, but it will open up the Bible to you in a new and wonderful way.

Since you have an interest in a young man who sees his future as an ordained pastor, then you would benefit by becoming the kind of woman that would be an asset to such a man. Begin by focusing on how to be a more Godly woman - learn to study the Bible for yourself, learn how to truly pray effective prayers. Participate in worship with your whole heart.

May the Lord reveal to you clearly what His plan is for your life.

I actually have that bible study and have started it a few times, but never did it all the way through. I'm going to trying starting it again soon. This time I should be able to go all the way through it, in the past I've had things come up that were distractions, but that is no longer a problem.

That is a very good point about me needing to become a Godly woman that this man would want by his side.

The only reason that my mom goes to church is to take me, since I'm not able to drive and my dad wouldn't consider going to a church where I didn't go.

I agree with the above. I'll make a slight admission... When my parents are at church, I'm not nearly as interested as when they aren't. I get the constant feeling of 'are my parents watching?'.

Really great parents, but I still get self-conscious around them.

I tend to have that problem sometimes too. I'm thinking that if I start going to this church regularly, then I'm going to start sitting in the front. But my mom prefers sitting in the back. She told me that it doesn't matter to her if I sit with her.

Just to be absolutely totally nosy, :D what exactly is it about this guy that attracts your interest?

First and foremost is that he's a Godly man. I wouldn't consider becoming involved with someone that was a Godly man because that could become a stumbling block for me. I like the idea of having someone to do bible studies with and that I can go to if I have a question about the bible. But now that I've given this more thought, I wonder if this guy would rather have someone that alreadys knows the bible fairly well so that they can have more in depth bible discussions instead of having to "teach" someone about the bible.

Another thing about this guy is I know a few of his friends and they've all had great things to say about him. About him being loyal, kind-hearted, good listener, easy to talk to. I found that out last night when I talked to him. I was comfortable talking to him last night, whereas in the past I have always been uncomfortable talking to something that I'm interested in.

Oh, I agree. I don't even like the idea of a man "chasing after" a woman. To me, if there's enough in common, there won't have to be any "chasing after". If a woman is so disinterested in me that I have to "chase after her" before I can get a relationship going, then she's not the one for me. Sure I'll introduce myself and see if she would be interested in having lunch together or something else like that and take the time for us to get to know each other, but beyond that, if she doesn't desire enough to be around me that I have to "chase after her", then it's just not meant to be. This is, of course, only my personal opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth. ;)

I don't consider myself really chasing after this guy. At least I hope it doesn't seem like that. I'm just wanted to talk to him so that he can get to know me for who I am to see if he'd be interested in me. I already know that I'm interested in him. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I also can see myself being a pastor's wife one day. My best friend right now is a pastor's wife so I have learned what is involved in being supportive as a pastor's wife. After all, I won't be interested in becoming involved with someone that is in the ministry if I didn't see myself as being supportive.

The thing is I would like to find out soon if this guy would be interested in pursuing a relationship with me in the near future. But I don't want to go about that the wrong way. I just don't want to spend too much time getting to know someone if there isn't any chance of us getting together. I did that in the past and don't want to get hurt like that again. The only time way we're able to talk is at church, since I can't drive and he doesn't drive out in the country. Hopefully we'll be able to talk on the phone more often too.

RoadWarrior
Jul 24th 2008, 10:10 PM
The thing is I would like to find out soon if this guy would be interested in pursuing a relationship with me in the near future. But I don't want to go about that the wrong way. I just don't want to spend too much time getting to know someone if there isn't any chance of us getting together. I did that in the past and don't want to get hurt like that again. The only time way we're able to talk is at church, since I can't drive and he doesn't drive out in the country. Hopefully we'll be able to talk on the phone more often too.

Faith, I would encourage you to get to know him, just as a friend. It can take a long time to really know a person. If you are friends first, then when love blooms it already has deep roots. But if love doesn't bloom, then you still have your friend.

One problem about jumping into a bf/gf relationship too soon, is that it can burn out and then everyone is uncomfortable still being in the same church together.

It sounds like you have done fine so far, you have found that you have a comfort level. But you still need to find out if this type of church is a fit for you, spiritually. You still need to grow as a Christian woman, and learn how to study the Bible, how to pray effective prayers, and how to hear from the Lord. What does He want for you? Does He want you in this church? with this man?

I'm glad to hear that you have the book by Kay Arthur! If you have any questions or want to discuss things as you go along, just let me know. We could even start a thread on the book, and find out if others would like to join the discussion.

Also, feel free to PM me if you want to chat off thread.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 24th 2008, 10:34 PM
I've been thinking about this some more and I've realized that my primary (but not the only) reason for wanting to go to this church was so that I could meet and get to know this guy. I've also thought that I may not be comfortable continuing to go to this church if the guy and I don't hit it off. Which has me wondering now if I'm there to get to know this guy or because of the other reasons. But this church has so many ministries to get involved in and that is what that attracted me to this church in the first place. There are so many possibilities and everyone has made me feel so welcomed. I have felt that God has big plans for me for a while now and I knew there wasn't any possibilities to do anything at my old church, which is one of the many reasons that I desided to leave that church.

RoadWarrior
Jul 24th 2008, 11:11 PM
Sometimes God leads us by unexpected means. But His goal for you is to draw you nearer to Himself, and to help you to grow in your Christian walk toward greater maturity.

Keep yourself busy doing your real life, and give all of this stuff time, to either develop or fade. If you keep listening to God, He will give you the right direction to take.

My Christian journey has taken me through a variety of churches of different denominations. In each one I learned something, and in each one I met people who helped me along my journey. We may not always see the pathway clearly as we walk it, but God does see it. He knows how to guide us.

I have often leaned on this verse and prayed it back to the Lord.

Isa 30:21
21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
"This is the way, walk in it,"
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.
NKJV

Whispering Grace
Jul 25th 2008, 12:48 AM
Would anyone be able to share about other AOG Pentecostal churches? Are these two that we've found representitive of the others?

Chris

I attended an AoG for about 8-9 months, and it most certainly was that way. It seemed to be leaning heavily toward WoF, as well as being a very worldly church.

Not all AoG are like that, but obviously many are.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 25th 2008, 03:46 AM
Faith, I would encourage you to get to know him, just as a friend. It can take a long time to really know a person. If you are friends first, then when love blooms it already has deep roots. But if love doesn't bloom, then you still have your friend.

One problem about jumping into a bf/gf relationship too soon, is that it can burn out and then everyone is uncomfortable still being in the same church together.

It sounds like you have done fine so far, you have found that you have a comfort level. But you still need to find out if this type of church is a fit for you, spiritually. You still need to grow as a Christian woman, and learn how to study the Bible, how to pray effective prayers, and how to hear from the Lord. What does He want for you? Does He want you in this church? with this man?

I'm glad to hear that you have the book by Kay Arthur! If you have any questions or want to discuss things as you go along, just let me know. We could even start a thread on the book, and find out if others would like to join the discussion.

Also, feel free to PM me if you want to chat off thread.

Sometimes God leads us by unexpected means. But His goal for you is to draw you nearer to Himself, and to help you to grow in your Christian walk toward greater maturity.

Keep yourself busy doing your real life, and give all of this stuff time, to either develop or fade. If you keep listening to God, He will give you the right direction to take.

My Christian journey has taken me through a variety of churches of different denominations. In each one I learned something, and in each one I met people who helped me along my journey. We may not always see the pathway clearly as we walk it, but God does see it. He knows how to guide us.

I have often leaned on this verse and prayed it back to the Lord.

Isa 30:21
21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
"This is the way, walk in it,"
Whenever you turn to the right hand
Or whenever you turn to the left.
NKJVSounds like good advice. :thumbsup:

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 25th 2008, 10:34 PM
I know I need to focus on God and want He wants me to do. I also know that when He knows that I'm ready then He'll send someone into my life.

It's just that it's been a long time since I've even been in a relationship. I just feel like it would be nice to have someone to spend time with and to talk to. I really didn't care if I ever got married until recently. I've seen too many people unhappily married and I didn't want that. I would much rather be alone the rest of my life, then to be in an unhappy marriage. But I have had a strong desire to get married and have a family of my own someday. Which brings me to the problem that I'm nearly 30, so I feel like time is ticking away for me.

I also don't believe that the guy that I'm interested in is marriage-minded right now. But one of my guy friends told me recently that guys always have an interest in finding someone. I ended up letting this same guy past right by me a few months ago. I didn't take the time to get to know him when I first met him because I thought he was too busy working to have time to get to know me. But not long after that the guy met someone and is now talking about marrying her. I felt bad about not getting to know this guy right away, because since getting to know him over the past month, I think he is great. But I know that God has someone special for me. I know that I can't just focus on getting to know this one particular guy. The guy that may be meant for me could pass right by without me realizing it if I'm completely focused on getting to know this particular guy.

RoadWarrior
Jul 26th 2008, 01:09 AM
I know I need to focus on God and want He wants me to do. I also know that when He knows that I'm ready then He'll send someone into my life.

.... I'm nearly 30, so I feel like time is ticking away for me.

.... But I know that God has someone special for me. I know that I can't just focus on getting to know this one particular guy. The guy that may be meant for me could pass right by without me realizing it if I'm completely focused on getting to know this particular guy.

Faith, it sounds like you have gained some good understanding and wisdom. There is great value in getting to know people as friends, even if you think they might be "too busy" or "not marriage minded" or whatever. Just being yourself, being focused on the path God has for you, and being friendly with others will put you in the right place for God's perfect timing.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 26th 2008, 03:39 AM
Faith, it sounds like you have gained some good understanding and wisdom. There is great value in getting to know people as friends, even if you think they might be "too busy" or "not marriage minded" or whatever. Just being yourself, being focused on the path God has for you, and being friendly with others will put you in the right place for God's perfect timing.
:agree:

What she said. :yes:

winnywins
Jul 27th 2008, 08:12 AM
It is very difficult to agree with the mode of worship at a pentecostal church if you are used to the planned -other denominational churches' way of worship.

Christianity is not a religion but it has to do with your personal relationship with God.It is true some churches over-do things.

I'd want you to read John 3:3-7.Read the whole chapter for you to understand better.

You have to be born of water and of the Spirit after you confess your faith in Christ.Speaking tongues is to edify the Spirit.This spiritual gift is given to you as you grow in the word of God and in your christian walk but not to be forced by any body.Believe in God and His word and not in any one.

If you can remember the Day of Pentecost in the scriptures,Jesus' desciples spoke in tongues as the prayed in Spirit and in Truth.

Read 1 Corinthians 14:23 specifically. and then read verses 20-24 of the same chapter.If you read 1Corinthians 12 for you to understand the spiritual gift of the Holy Spirit.

Churches are not to speak in tongues , make noise and drive people away as Paul said.Therefore this should not be a reason for you to run away from the church.Please grow in the word and develop a relationship with God and you will understand the things of God as revealed by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God.

gods7servants
Jul 27th 2008, 08:48 AM
Gods Blessings to you this day and peace be unto you.

On speaking in tongues and babtised with the Holy Spirit.

I always when I have a question, ask the Lord to show/tell me what the answer is and I look in his Holy Word.

So what does the bible say.

Speaking in tongues is a sign for the unsaved so they will see.

If we are at a meeting, church, prayer group etc, then speaking in tongues is a direct communication with the Lord, between you and him and we are not so speak in tongues unless there is someone there to inturpet,(miss spelled), what is being said between us and the Lord.

Being filled with the Holy Spirit, the bible says, the Holy Spirit upon immersed, babtised in water, the Holy Spirit gives us different gifts as he sees fit.

We are so loved the our God, things are really simple, Gods word explaines
if we just read and ask our Heavenly Father for understanding, thru Jesus Christ.

I pray and trust this has helped you.

May the Lord bless you may the Lord keep you may the Lords face shine on you and give you peace.

Your brother in Christ,
gods7servants

winnywins
Jul 27th 2008, 09:05 AM
Grow in the Word of God
Grow in the Word of God

It is very difficult to agree with the mode of worship at a pentecostal church if you are used to the planned -other denominational churches' way of worship.

Christianity is not a religion but it has to do with your personal relationship with God.It is true some churches over-do things.

I'd want you to read John 3:3-7.Read the whole chapter for you to understand better.

You have to be born of water and of the Spirit after you confess your faith in Christ.Speaking tongues is to edify the Spirit.This spiritual gift is given to you as you grow in the word of God and in your christian walk but not to be forced by any body.Believe in God and His word and not in any one.

If you can remember the Day of Pentecost in the scriptures,Jesus' desciples spoke in tongues as the prayed in Spirit and in Truth.

Read 1 Corinthians 14:23 specifically. and then read verses 20-24 of the same chapter.If you read 1Corinthians 12 for you to understand the spiritual gift of the Holy Spirit.

Churches are not to speak in tongues , make noise and drive people away as Paul said.Therefore this should not be a reason for you to run away from the church.Please grow in the word and develop a relationship with God and you will understand the things of God as revealed by the Holy Spirit through the Word of God.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jul 28th 2008, 03:19 AM
I went back to this church again tonight and I really got a lot out of services that I needed. But there are some things that are holding me back, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I want God to have all of me. I want God to mold me into the person that He wants me to be. I no longer want to live for myself, but for Him. I want to be annointed. I want to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and filled with the Holy Spirit. I know that I received the Holy Spirit when I was saved, but I just feel so empty most of the time. I have such a hunger and desire and I believe this church will fed me what I'm needing in order to grow spiritually.

But I feel like I'm being pulled in two directions because I don't feel like this is the right church for my mom. I just realized a few days ago that my mom hasn't been in church regularly in 16 years. So I think this church is too much for her. This is so hard on me because I want to go to this church, but I also want to go to a church where my mom will feel comfortable where she will have her spiritual needs meet. I just don't think she'll ever get what she needs from this church if she isn't comfortable with their worship style. The only reason that my mom will go to church is to take me.

RoadWarrior
Jul 28th 2008, 04:46 AM
Hi Faith,

I pray that the Lord will really lead you, and your mom. Has she ever indicated what kind of church is comfortable for her? Maybe she just needs to be in one church long enough to hear the Lord speaking to her heart. As long as she is willing to go, even sitting on the back seat, she is being bathed in the presence of the Lord, when His people are there to worship Him.

:pray: for you and your parents. Please continue to keep us posted.

Bethany67
Jul 28th 2008, 05:52 AM
Can I just pose a question? You feel God is pulling you in one direction, and your Mum in the other. Which do you think Jesus would tell you to follow? Did He not say 'Seek ye first ...'? Your Mum's salvation is not your responsibility; your own walk with the Lord is.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 28th 2008, 08:46 AM
Can I just pose a question? You feel God is pulling you in one direction, and your Mum in the other. Which do you think Jesus would tell you to follow? Did He not say 'Seek ye first ...'? Your Mum's salvation is not your responsibility; your own walk with the Lord is.I think that's going a little too far. Living By Faith isn't struggling over whether or not to go to church. She's only struggling over whether or not to go to this church. Let's cut her a little slack, shall we? On the other side of the coin.....
I went back to this church again tonight and I really got a lot out of services that I needed. But there are some things that are holding me back, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. I want God to have all of me. I want God to mold me into the person that He wants me to be. I no longer want to live for myself, but for Him. I want to be annointed. I want to be baptized in the Holy Spirit and filled with the Holy Spirit. I know that I received the Holy Spirit when I was saved, but I just feel so empty most of the time. I have such a hunger and desire and I believe this church will fed me what I'm needing in order to grow spiritually.So how will you "feel" when everything is the way you want it between you and God? Jesus said "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Do you believe Him? Our feelings can deceive us, you can't trust them. You need to put your faith in God's promises in His Word, not your "feelings". You've already got all of Him that you're ever going to get. The trick now is to learn to appropriate it and put it to use. Then the "feelings" will follow suit. To judge by your feelings more than by what the Bible says is to put the cart ahead of the horse.

Bethany67
Jul 28th 2008, 05:07 PM
I think that's going a little too far. Living By Faith isn't struggling over whether or not to go to church. She's only struggling over whether or not to go to this church.

That's what I meant; I'm sorry if it came across any other way. I was going by her posts that she felt she could be fed spiritually in this particular church, which I would take as God's provision for her.

Literalist-Luke
Jul 29th 2008, 02:17 AM
That's what I meant; I'm sorry if it came across any other way. I was going by her posts that she felt she could be fed spiritually in this particular church, which I would take as God's provision for her.Understood, no problem. :thumbsup:

*Living~By~Faith*
Aug 12th 2008, 04:58 AM
I'm trying to understand a couple of things a little bit better.

Do you have to be in a certain mind-set in order to be baptized by the Holy Spirit? Or is this something that can and will happen unexpectedly?

Why do pastors randomly speak in tongues during a sermon?

Literalist-Luke
Aug 12th 2008, 03:43 PM

Do you have to be in a certain mind-set in order to be baptized by the Holy Spirit? Or is this something that can and will happen unexpectedly?

Why do pastors randomly speak in tongues during a sermon?This former Southern Baptist would tell you that the reason for so much confusion about those things is because they aren't real. They were originally a sign to the Jews immediately after Pentecost and became no longer authentic as of the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD when the temple's destruction rendered the Jewish religion null and void (which should have told the Jews something, that their Temple was destroyed again, shortly after they were visited by Jesus).

People today will often sincerely believe they are experiencing such things in an emotional euphoria, but I doubt they're real.

OK, let me get on my flame-retardant suit before you charismatics start blasting me.....

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/litluke/5822013558.gif

godsgirl
Aug 13th 2008, 11:07 PM
[quote=Xel'Naga;1718881]Some questions?

1. Are tongues the initial evidence of the Baptism of the Spirit?
yes, that is the initial evidence the Bible gives. Acts 2:4, Acts 10:46, Acts 19:6

2. If you don't speak in tongues, are you still saved?
yes, you are saved by trusting in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ.

3. Where in the Bible is this supported?
John 3:16, Romans, James, ect..

4. Do you believe we all speak in tongues, or just a few?
I believe we all can be baptised in the Spirit and speak in tongues-but not all of us will be used in the "gift" of tongues-which is aloud in the service, and needs to be accompained by the "gift" of intepretation so that the church can be edified.

5. Why does your church allow yelling when Paul commands order?
I don't ever remember any "yelling"

6. Do you feel those who speak in tongues have a better relationship with the Lord?
better than they did before yes, better than other people-not necessarily.

7. What is the purpose of tongues?
several reasons, like to edify (build up) your faith, to speak mysteries to God, to build up the church when the gift of intepretation is accompaining it.

8. Have you ever spoken in tongues? Yes.

9. What do you believe the 'perfect' is that is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13:10? Is the partial here referring to manifestations of the Spirit, such as tongues?
I believe it is when Jesus returns and we "know as we are known"., yes, when that happens we will no longer need tongues.

10. Do you ever 'challenge' what's going on in your church?
Depends on what you mean by that

godsgirl
Aug 13th 2008, 11:10 PM

Why do pastors randomly speak in tongues during a sermon?

Sometimes we can be baptised in the Spirit without asking-my pastors wife received this when she was at the altar at salvation. She had never heard of speaking in tongues or the baptism in the Spirit---but usually, we have to ask Him and be willing.

How much more then, will your Father give the Holy Sprit to those who ask??

I don't know why pastors do this-perhaps they are praying? I've never heard mine do that-and I've been Pentecostal for quite a while.

godsgirl
Aug 13th 2008, 11:15 PM
I attended an AoG for about 8-9 months, and it most certainly was that way. It seemed to be leaning heavily toward WoF, as well as being a very worldly church.

Not all AoG are like that, but obviously many are.

Actually the AoG is not WOF at all-and has stood against the prosperity teachings.. you can read their "official" statement here...

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Position_Papers/pp_4183_confession.cfm

The problems come in because AoG is autonomous and other than the fundamentals of the faith-you can have different teachings, different worship, ect.. from church to church.