PDA

View Full Version : Question about Matthew 5:13

djm5493
Jul 22nd 2008, 01:26 AM
What exactly does Jesus mean by referring to us as the Salt of the earth?

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless."

TrustingFollower
Jul 22nd 2008, 02:17 AM

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless."

What was salt used for back in the day when Jesus was here? It was used as a preservative. It kept the meat from going rotten in just a day or two. If you salt cured something it would last for a long time. Now relate that same thinking to Christians. We preserve the faith. We spread the word of God and make sure Christianity lasts. We are to preserve it, just like salt does with meat. If we lose our effectiveness than what good are we? If we lose our saltiness will we be thrown out and treated like one of the goats mentioned in Matthew 25.:hmm:

Teke
Jul 22nd 2008, 02:17 AM

It illustrates the role of disciples in society. Salt has preservative powers, necessity for life, and ability to give flavor. (Job 6:6). Salt had religious and sacrificial significance (Lev. 2:13, Ezra 6:9, Ezek. 43:24). It symbolized the making of a covenant (Lev. 2:13 and see Num. 18:19, 2 Chr. 13:5). To eat salt with someone meant to be bound together in loyalty. Christians are salt in society. ie. variety is the spice of life ;)

Buck shot
Jul 22nd 2008, 02:29 AM

What happens to salt when it goes bad? What do you use damp salt for? I know when I get the salt can out and it has got wet and clumping we just throw it out. I don't know of any use for waterdown salt. Kindof like a watered down christian whose light is not able to burn ;)

jayne
Jul 22nd 2008, 02:33 AM
We are to be two things.

Salt and light.

Salt preserves and we must preserve the truth and the faith. Light exposes. We must, through the Word of God and our modeling a Christ-like nature expose the sins of the world. Even the sin in our own lives and congregations.

You also have to go back and put verse 13 in the context of verses 1-12.

He tells you how to be the salt and the light. He tells us that we are to be....

(1.) poor in spirit, or grieved over the sins of the world. (my opinion)
(2.) mournful, or grieved over our own personal sins. (my opinion)
(3.) meek, or full of humility
(4.) starving to death for righteousness
(5.) merciful, or forgiving and compassionate
(6.) pure in heart (later, Jesus says that the only thing that defiles us is what comes from our wicked hearts)
(7.) peacemakers, (not necessarily abstaining from war, but from anger and hate and vengefulness)
(8.) steadfast in the times when we are persecuted for Jesus' sake.

This is how to be the salt and the light.

Verses 1-12. He tells you how to have a Godly character.

Verses 13-14. He tells you why.

djm5493
Jul 22nd 2008, 03:19 AM
Wow thank you guys so much, that makes so much more sense now.

Jayne I really like that interpretation of the ways he taught us to be that way. I'm gonna use that to explain to anyone else that has problems with this.

BroRog
Jul 22nd 2008, 05:06 AM

I was taught that the "salt" in that region was not pure salt. It was mixed with other minerals and sand. The salt mixture can loose it's flavor if the actual salt is dissolved away leaving only the other minerals behind. Once this happened, the mineral mix was thrown on the ground.

I believe Jesus' was speaking about the distinctive flavor of salt. The presence of salt in a meal causes the meal to have a distinctive flavor and once the salt is gone, the salt mixture tastes like ordinary sand.

I believe Jesus is saying that Christians should be distinctive in the world such that we stand out in our behavior.

The three parables in this passage work together. Just as salt has a distinctive flavor, a city set on a hill stands out too. You can't miss it. When people ask for directions, all we need to do is point in the general direction and those who ask will see it for miles around.

The same goes for a light on a lampstand. It stands out. It's obvious. You can't miss it.

In all three cases, the principle idea is our being distinct, exceptional, unique, set apart, above average and etc.